my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




"History is a useless heap of facts...."


Click either button to Join

...my title is a quotation by Lord Chesterfield. In so many ways I agree with that statement, yet when I see things from the past in hard core reality, I wonder....are homes and all the people from the past that dwelt in these homes...were they really useless? No. I don't think so----


Heritage Park...downtown


THURSDAY THIRTEEN

There is a small 'park' with an outdoor pub, three bandstands, and several historical homes. All situated within a tract that is two city blocks. It's surrounded by theaters and arenas...near the ships' channel and harbor bridge. Museums of Science, art and cultural. A short distance away there is a ballpark that the Corpus Christi Hooks play regulation baseball --they're a farm team for the Houston Astros. In fact, the right field player for the Astros right now...Hunter Pence, played for the Hooks at one time before being signed on to play regularly during the scheduled seasons for Houston. Anyway, I thought I'd take you on a short tour of some of the historical homes [homes that have withstood the wrath of many hurricanes and time] for my Thirteen for Thursday. Some interior shots of one house, an historical marker to show you how each and every home in the park is individually designated Texas State Historical Home, and just a few of the exteriors of homes as anyone would see walking the park----
















This concludes My 13...if you'd like to skip over my Thursday Thunks found below, and would like to leave a few words for me...

COMMENT HERE



- - -<><><>- - -


THURSDAY THUNKS

1. Robins have red breasts. Why are their eggs blue? Oh boy, you're bringing out the scientist in me now!! I think they're blue because most robin nests are in trees, the nests made out of twigs...the blue is the hue of the sky, so predators from above would use instinct telling them it's part of the sky in the tree branches and leave 'em alone, undisturbed. Does that make sense? LOLOL...I think I'm eggin' you on here. But that is the best I can come up with 'cause if they laid eggs the color of their breasts...it would be a sure sign for the robber to grab and run.

2. The doorbell buzzes at the same moment the phone rings. Who was on the phone? Phone ID says 'blocked'...so it's a telemarketer. Ignore both the phone and the doorbell, I'm not expecting anyone with either case.

3. It seems that there are several very popular memes each day of the week. Which meme did you first become a regular of? Thinking back, I recall ONE of the first I participated in was Photo Hunt. Where you have a certain subject like 'GREEN'...and your photo has to have something green in it/on it. It was fun for a while...it got to be a bore tho. Sorry Hunters.

4. It is about time that Berleen and Kimber meet in person. Should we start a collection to fly one of them to the other, or just hope Thom's bus and [can?] get from Hawaii to Kimber in Arizona and take her to Berleen in Minnesota? Y'know the Germans once built a vehicle that floated on water...does Thom have a compass? We could rig his bus so that the steering wheel runs the rudder on the wheel axles. Hey...that'd be fun. Just make sure the bus is stocked full of Budweiser [pun intended!].

5. Tell us about your pets. Do you have one that you wish would run away?
Two...Tahoe, black tabby and Winston, white Persian. Are you kiddin' me? I ♥ my fur babies. Oh and the biggest baby pet is Bud...so I have three actually.

6. What was the last thing colored red that you wore? I still have it on....red toenail polish.

7. I have a train that runs by where I live several times a day. I actually find it peaceful. What's the longest journey that you have taken by train? All aboard. The Durango Silverton train. Original engines...narrow guage tracks through the San Juan Mountains of Colorado, to mining country!! Awesome. Gold and Silver!---two of my favorites. Oh and a little bit of trivia...OUR engine was used in Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid!!

8. If Kimber threw a five dollar bill off a building that was five stories high, and Berleen threw a twenty off a build that was six stories high, who do you think would find the money? Some derelict on the street below. And I see he's heading to buy the brown bag special at the liquor store.

9. If reincarnation really happens, whose life would you like to know that you have already led? Houdini...I know how to get out of strange situations such as this question. I'm good to go.

10. What are your three favorite possessions?
I'm assuming this is material possessions, correct? Antique Clock that was a wedding gift to my Grandmother who passed it to my mother, who gave it to me, My G G Grandfather's railroad watch, Antique doll of my G Grandmother.

11. A lot of people still believe that Elvis is alive. Have you ever worn blue suede shoes?
I got a pair...but they're not suede tho...smooth shiny leather, does that count? No, guess not.

12. Do you have siblings? If yes, are you anything alike? Four...and NO...none of us are alike...in looks or personalities.

13. Has anyone ever asked you to strip naked and cluck like a chicken? Hens cluck....I'm the mother----HEN----of my brood. I've been in hot water many times, but never plucked. I've been fried. I've been known to be chilled at times. Sliced, shaved, but not skinless. WHAT THE HECK WAS THE QUESTION? Nope; to answer the ?, but I've been acquainted with a few cock-a-doodle-do-ers" in my time. An early riser...catches the worm, so to speak .




POSTED: Thursday, April 29th, 2010
1:15 A.M.

35 comments :

  1. Retoring houses to old glory is a great thing to do.Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These houses are very pretty ! I could live in there, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe useless but most are inspiring :) Love the photos my friend. Those homes are just beautiful :) You are brilliant about the bus...let's patent that idea Mother Hen LOL We will make Berleen, Kimber and Bud bring the Budweiser. :) Bottles of course. And then we can use your toenails painted all fancy red as a warning signal for everyone to get out of our way ROFLMAO!!! Make sure you bring Houdini just in case we get into some tight spots :) Have a great Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing those old houses - even now they remind me of home! I guess I'll be back this summer, but I don't know for sure yet... One thing I find remarkable is that the houses in Texas are the same as the houses in Kentucky. Ah... the South. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the pics wow would love to stay in them :)

    Enjoyed ur Thunks also :)

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my TT.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopped over from Science Mum's blog, enjoying the chuckles and the read ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tour loved it ssandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog!
    Gorgeous photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always loved the old wrap around porches. Thanks for the great photos. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahahahahaha..You do SO WELL in all the answers.
    I do not drink beer...but that was thoughtful of you!
    Thank you so much for your lovely birthday wishes, love.
    Have a great Thursday!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to look at old houses. These are beautiful and the interiors are so interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Anni-
    I'd go with ya to Alaska. We'd have a Hootin' good time too :)

    BTW- I've always wanted to visit Corpus Christi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I wrote that money throwing question I guessed bums myself. Although when Berleen said she'd cheat and use the money on smokes, I roared. As a former smoker, I could relate. Happy Thursday, Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Growing up I would have agreed with that quote... history seemed like such a waste of time. But the longer I have lived the more I have changed. Now I am closer to the quote, "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it." Great photo story.

    My wife Shirley just started a blog... check it out at http://shirleyanngoerlitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sherwin Me too. Me too. I disliked History when I was young, but now that I'm in my 60s...things have a whole new perspective. Thanks for the invite to your wife's new blog. I just visited with her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the exteriors. I forgot how busy the interiors could be with the fancy wall papers and such.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Thursday to you Annie...enjoy reading your book list... some good ones there I recognize. My son looks on my book shelves and admires my 'friends'.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love those old staircases ... and wallpaper. I'd like to move in. I lived in Texas for 7 years, Tomball.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You cracked me up with #13! Thanks for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the egg answer :)fun Thunks! :)


    u may view mine here

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are some majestic homes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your pictures. What a fun place to visit! I haven't been over in a while. So great to come and visit today : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love touring old homes and museums. What a great TT idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great thunks! I'm glad to see there is someone else who wouldn't answer the phone or door!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The photos are beautiful!

    And LOL to your Thursday Thunks #1 answer! =D

    ReplyDelete
  26. Old homes have so much more character than the newer homes.. or is just me and my age. These all beautifully manicured older homes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos! You're surrounded by some true beauty. Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anni,

    Like you, I'm a history buff. I certainly enjoyed seeing all the beautiful houses in your area.

    Love your new look.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  29. Very cool pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  30. those pics make me wanna pack my bags :d

    Ticke me off Instantly

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice designs.I have seen some of it in the movies.

    ReplyDelete
  32. hey anni! i'll split the $$$$ with ya and you can join me on thom's bus ride!!!! hey! what are friends for! and i'll even share my brown bag special!!!!

    now this should be some ride!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great photos and I love the architectural details the give the homes so much character.

    ReplyDelete

.