my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Sisters, sisters. There were never such devoted sisters....


Click either button to Join


THURSDAY 13


On March 18th, each year for over the past twenty years, my sister and I have celebrated our special day. We always celebrate by having a gift for each other...a small token of our bond we send. And at a certain, specified, synchronized time for our time zones, we go outdoors ---whether warm or stormy-- and face each other from our yards, with our identical champagne glass filled with champagne...and salute each other with a toast to our sisterhood!!!

This year, over the past weekend, I diligently worked on a small project I'm going to send to her with her gift I find. I made a short video of snapshots I have in my family albums. I don't have very many as when my parents died, our brother took all the old family albums. Which is the way it should be. But I do have a few. And I made use of them.

You see, my sister sent me the neatest birthday card with "Sisters" on the outer cover. It had a photo of an older sister with hair color like my sister's and then there was a younger sister with the platinum blond hair, like mine when I was young! Well, to make a long story short, the two were holding hands and running through the field of flowers. Inside my sister wrote "This reminds me of the two of us".----I used it!!

What I did was scan some of the photos I had of the two of us through the years. From the 1940s to now....and I used the birthday card I received for the pictures' frame! All in all, the video with music added [Memory from Cats, Dreamed a Dream from Les Miserables, Have I told you lately that I love You with Rod Stewart, and The Way We Were with Barbra Striesand]----the video runs about 20 minutes real time, and the last photo I used from the very day last year when I filled my champagne glass. I added text on this one "Here's To Sister's Day".


Thirteen photos from the video. They will not enlarge, I made them small for loading time. But, they do have mouseover captions....








...ALWAYS
SUCH
DEVOTED
SISTERS...












- - -<><><>- - -


THURSDAY THUNKS

1. Why are computer mouses called mouses? I just KNOW if I answer this, it's a trap...a better MOUSE trap...right?

2. If a guy has no money and he goes into a bar does he get kicked out? Depends on what kinda 'bar' you're asking about. Oh and on second thought...you didn't specify if he was a patron, the owner or even the bartender on the night shift!!

3. Why does Taryn hate rat terrier puppies? Who's Taryn, and what does a rat terrier look like?

4. Why do polar bears not moo? No one would hear 'em on the icebergs anyway, so what makes the difference if they can or cannot go moo, meow, bark or even whinny.

5. Why do people let doves fly at their weddings? They're white, so they won't 'outshine' [take over the show] over the virginal bride.

6. Why are no two snowflakes alike? Only when they're flying high!! Once they hit ground and 'mingle'...they all look the same....that's when the inbreeding takes place.

7. Why do people want things that don't work? (ads in newspapers - like junk batteries wanted) The word you're looking for I believe is "RECYCLE".

8. Why do we have to wear shoes at school? Good question. Just why the heck do we have to wear shoes ANYwhere?

9. Why do people wear socks with sandals? Weird, I know!! But according to Vogue and others ---it's NOW "IN"

10. Why do we always want bear hugs? Better than BOA hugs!!

11. Why do dogs lick people's toes? And why do they like to lick lotion? Okay, picture this...we humans do the same thing ---we lick salt from our hand...and then quickly down a shot of tequila. Same thing...toes="salty" and lotion="alcohol"....fermented b*stards those dogs are, really!

12. Why do people get this little thing pierced - as she points to the little thing on her ear. Better that, than....as I point farther south!!

13. Why do dogs like to eat out of litterboxes? See # 7....I recall the word recycle.

14. Have you ever eaten a sandwich that had really weird things in it? Like what? I hear cockroach sandwiches are a delicacy in some parts of the world.

15. Why isn't snow purple? Who says it isn't? I've heard of purple rain...why not purple snow?

16. When the earth was made why was the sky made blue? You got me....I haven't seen too much other than GRAY/GREY these days. But, it's just science...atmosphere. Here's one for you...why does the ocean look gray on cloudy days and turquoise on sunny days? Same thing!! Science.

17. Why do cats like laser lights? Entertainment Tonight!!

18. When someone invented Santa Clause, why did they make him fat? Guess 'cause they don't know how to spell emaciated....like they don't know how to spell C L A U S!!! Seriously, there is a thing called spell check....wait...c l a u s e wouldn't show you you misspelled anyway... Then....I'm so broken up here, you're telling me Santa was INVENTED? Y'all know by now I have a 'thing' with big, fat, white fellas!!

19. What do you think Santa does when he's not making toys? Making li'l elves?

20. Why is it that suddenly I don't care anymore? You got me....why don't you care?

21. Why are the healthiest things for you most expensive? Ha!!! It's a government conspiracy!! No, really! Trust me on this.








Blog Entry Title...lyrics of song by Irving Berlin "Sisters"




POSTED: Thursday, February 18th, 2010
4:10 A.M.

41 comments :

  1. what you and your sister do is so special.

    and just last night hubby told the bean that if chocolate were good for you it probably wouldn't taste very nice....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shadow chocolate ISN'T good for us? Oh....you really know how to burst my bubble, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gday Annie. Beautiful post.. and love the wat you have arranged the photo's.

    Sisters are special I have 1 sister left and when I moved to the country she told her Hubby im not allowed to go without her so they sold up and now live a few streets away and we see each other most days..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister is going to cry! that picture with the little vest - I have pictures like that too. Is Thursday Thunks written by a teenager?? Oh and thanks for the geography lesson! I love that you answer my questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sisters photos thing was really sweet - I love that the two of you are still so close, and have such a lovely ritual to share.

    I tell ya, it gives me hope in these troubled times. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a kewl idea. I wish I had that kind of bond with my sister. I do with my best friend of over 30 years, so I guess that's something.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Annie Sweetie,
    I so love the picture of you with your cat George. How beautiful that is, and the one of you, your sister and your Moma. Oh heck they are all so special. Your sister is going to love this. I mean LOVE it. You did such an awesome job sweetie. Some of the music that you chose, are some of my favorites too. Such kindred spirits.

    As always I love your comments. I will NEVER wear socks with sandal in or out. NEVER. I love feeling the water, the wind and the sand on my feet. I was born bare footed, raised bare footed, and would be walking bare footed today if I could everywhere I went.

    Have a beautiful day sweetie. Please know that you are so loved. Country hugs and much love...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a dear younger sister, I love your sisterly tradition!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sister is lucky to have you!

    ROTFLMAO at your thunks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, It's a great card and I love how you toast each other with your champagne. You two have a special. You've reminded me of one of my favorite songs...from "A White Christmas"..."Sisters" with Rosemary Clooney and those big blue feather fans. You gotta love them. Thanks for sharing. Mumzie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read the latest version of Vogue- guess I should.
    Have a great day Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a precious bond you have with your sister. You are both very fortunate. My daughters are best friends and I love that for them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might have to celebrate a sister day. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember from last year that you raise a glass to your sister wherever your are, what a nice use. Time flies by so quickly !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I forgot : your template is very pretty !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely and wonderful thing you did. I hope she doesn't read your blog.
    I like the annual ritual, too.
    And the answers crack me up.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wished I had a sister. I envy you girls. Mariposa's T13

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're lucky to have such a good relationship with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can only dream of such a loving relationship with my sister, does it happen over time? Lovely thing to share dearest.
    Hope you'll drop by my blogs for my T13s at The Cafe & The Library.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have 2 sisters and don't know what I would do without them. Your sister will love this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, you got to the bottom of the snow question.It was all about Prince. Got it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Anni, your sister is going to absolutely love that video you made for her, how very special!! I think it's wonderful that you two celebrate each other every year on March 18th...makes me want to have a sister:-) I wish I was a fly on the wall to see her reaction the first time she watches it!!

    Your Thursday Thunks answers were hilarious as usual. Me and you both, why do we have to wear shoes anywhere??? As for the cockroach sandwich...excuse me while I run to the washroom!!! Bleck! As for letting doves fly at a wedding, I always wonder if any of them have ever "pooped" on the guests???? Inquiring minds want to know. hehe

    Thank you for the laughter my friend:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  23. great answers we dont really know about polar bears or the bride as far as that goes

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love you 13 on Sisters. It is heartwarming my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni, she is going to love her gift. You are a very thoughtful sister. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely gift to your sister. Sounds like the two of you have a fabulous relationship.

    As always your thunks give me the giggles. ~ Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great project! *is impressed* I can't wait to get my new computer so I can get back to my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is a wonderful gift for your sister. Your relationship sounds very special.

    As for dogs who steal from the litter box, I've only had one. And that was more than enought!

    My T13: Unlimited Cash

    ReplyDelete
  29. how far apart are you and your sister in age?? just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sisters' love is always so good to have. I love mine, best friends we are, and it's a God's gift to have one another...
    Great post.
    see you tomorrow!
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  31. Ahhhh. . . . sisters! I love mine dearly - she's in CO and I'm in VA - just spent a week together with rest of our family in CA! P.S. WooHoo - see a button on the side for bloggers over 50!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. P.S. Rats ~ looks like that over 50 blog isn't current - last post from 2008???

    ReplyDelete
  33. hahaha loved #11!
    great thunks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love this tradition - I remember last year. She must just love the video. My sis and I live across town from each other and don't see each other often enough. We need to remedy that before it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Anni, I have an award for you here ---

    http://likeshowersonnewgrass.blogspot.com/2010/02/thank-you-judy-for-this-award.html

    God bless you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a fabulous project! Your sister will cherish this gift.

    ReplyDelete
  37. lol! I loved your thunks :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful photos for your sister, Anni. She is going to absolutely LOVE it. How fabulous that you have such a wonderful relationship. My sister and I have never seen eye to eye...a shame really.

    Happy Sister Day to you and your sister.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

.