“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






...a rose by any other name---




Click either button to Join



THURSDAY THUNKS....



1. You walk into a room, someone turns and looks at you and laughs. What do you do?
    No doubt in my mind here...I look over my shoulder to see just what/who is so funny!! Then, I'd laugh too pro'ly!!

2. You find an egg, take it home and keep it warm. It hatches. What type of dinosaur is it? Do you keep it and name?
    Let me just say it isn't purple...'cause I took a needle syringe and added green dye to make dam* sure it wasn't gonna be Barney!! And I'd hand it over to John Hammond of Jurrasic Park---it'll have a ferocious appetite in no time, and he has a goodly supply of live goats. Name: Johnny Angel...he's definitely green and winged.

3. Which superhero would you want to be related to and why?
    Related by MARRIAGE to me!!! Batman...have you SEEN those lips?! :::sigh:::


    7:50 A.M.
    --Leaving a reply comment to Bud Weiser just now....
    Whoa, is anyone else HOT in here, or is it just me?




4. A drunken sailor comes up to you on the pier...he begins harassing you in a most repulsive way....what'll be your defense?
    My hand...it's a registered lethal weapon! Don't believe me...try being repulsive. But first we gotta meet on a pier. How 'bout Pier 99 12:00 -we'll have a bite to eat first!? Don't MAKE me come after you!!! Besides, after a several margaritas, you might not be so repulsive afterall.


5. Entering a CLASS A piano bar, you're encouraged to sing atop the grand instrument...you grab the microphone and sing.....
    Ummmm ["This isn't a day for 'ummmm'!!"] Let's see, since it's close to Valentine's Day: Dear, this is harder than I thought. "Ladies and gentlemen....Roxie Hart Blogland's own---Hootin' Anni, singing her rendition of LOVE"...


6. If you were a character in a Dr. Seuss book/movie, who would you be and why?
    Any of the Who's in Whoville...they have Roast Whobeast each Christmas!! Yumm!!!! Oh, and I call dibs on all the leftover mashed whotatoes and who gravy.

7. If you have just been called to be a substitute in the Winter Olympics for your country (apparently everyone else was busy), what sport(s) will you compete in?
    Cross Country skiing---I would be sure to bring along my St. Bernard and his flask!!!

8. Did the audience from the piano bar in question #5 applaud when you were done with your song?
    By the time I was done, my funny hubby of mine [aka Mr. Cellophane] was the only one left in the room...Yes he applauded...but just to get me off stage, and take me back home to my straight jacket and rubber walled rooms. I didn't hear ONE Encore!! Why even the piano player shut the piano cover down and grabbed his brandy snifter filled with tips and......RAN!



- - -<><><>- - -


THURSDAY 13


Last week, someone had mentioned the tongue twister by Dr. Seuss. I know the surname origin is German, but was curious as to what it meant. So, did some research---

1- Suess: According to Family Origins site, the name Suess is derived from the Germanic personal name Süss, meaning "sweet." ---hence, the children's author is Dr. Sweet. Sweet!!!
    12 more 'odd' surnames:

    2- Affleck [as in Ben Affleck, and not to be confused with the Aflac Duck]: Said to be a corruption of the name Auchinleck, which was assumed by the proprietors of the lands and barony of Auchinleck, near Dundee, in Angusshire, Scotland. The name is pronounced Affleck by the natives.
    3- Bostwick [as in Barry Bostwick]: The house near the haven or creek; from Bos, a house, and wick, a haven or creek. It may be from the Dutch Bosch, a wood, and wick, the town in the wood. Boswick, in the Cornish-British, is the dwelling near the harbor or village.
    4- Peebles [as in Mario van Peebles]: From the town and shire of Peebles, in Scotland. Pobl, Welsh, people, and lle, a place; Pobull, Gaelic, people, and cis, many; the place of many people.
    5-Obama [as in Barack]: It is based on the Luo (technically, Dholuo, the name of the language of the Luo) word bam, which means "crooked, slightly bending." The prefix O- means "he," and many Luo male names begin with it. The president's first name, Barack, is a Swahili name that has its origins in Arabic. The original Arabic root of the name (B-R-K) means "blessed." In Arabic, the root word is used in many other phrases to denote blessings and to describe people who are blessed. My son, who is still a McCain backer, LOVES the fact that our president..."he crooked". [of course having a secondary literal meaning of crooked -insert wink]
    6-Witherspoon [as in Reese Witherspoon]: The surname originates in Britain. It is composed of the elements 'wether' and 'spong/spang' which are taken from Middle English. Originally, Witherspoon was a place name meaning 'a narrow strip of land where sheep dwell'.
    7- Dumbledore [as in Albus Dumbledore]: Literally it means bumble bee....Rowling stated she chose the name Dumbledore, which is an Early Modern English word for "bumblebee", because she "imagined him walking around humming to himself".
    8- Baggins [as in another literary character, Bilbo Baggins]: The Origins of the Baggins surname date from the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. Their name originated with an early member who was a person who was a peddler, or great traveler. It denotes one who on his travels carried a bag, a pack or a bundle.
    9- Eisenhower [as in Dwight Eisenhower]: The famous surname Eisenhower has a Jewish surname. It is an occupational surname implying "iron worker or iron cutter." The surname can be alternately spelled as Eisehauer.
    10- Montague [as in Romeo Montague *Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet]: De Mont aigue {in French}--from the sharp or steep mountain.
    11- Di Caprio [as in Leonardo Di Caprio]: Di Caprio is Italian from the name of the island of Capri near Naples.
    12- Butkus: [as in DICK Butkus]: Lithuanian: from a personal name based on Lithuanian būti ‘to be’, ‘to exist’.
    13- Drysdale [as in Don Drysdale *d. 1993 -baseball player for Dodgers]: Drysdale Meaning: one who came from, or lived near Dryfesdale (valley of the Dryfe River).




    WHAT DOES YOUR SURNAME MEAN [origins]? Look it up here.





    POSTED: Thursday, February 4th, 2010
    12:21 A.M.



38 comments :

  1. Registered lethal weapon...LOL. Too funny. I'm watching out for you. Oooo we both had Batman but for different reasons LOL. Great song...I love it. And we both centered around Whoville. Great answers my friend. Love the Surname information. Thanks for sharing. Have a great Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really make me smile, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the trick is to have the st bernard with the keg under his chin come through the room BEFORE the singing starts?

    I always enjoy my visits to your blog, in fact, I have nominated you for an award. You can visit my blog at http://i-refuse-to-recede.blogspot.com/2010/02/award.html to read more about it.

    Keep up the good work.

    Troy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni, thanks for the chuckle, I really enjoyed your post, from start to finish!

    Mariposa (I'm at my Beyond You site)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As always you are deliciously deranged : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. B:) "Deliciously Deranged"...I like that. In fact, I take it as a compliment. I try very hard to be that way y'know?!! [insert wink]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the little number from "Chicago"!! First time I've ever heard that one!.. I STILL haven't seen this movie!.. I keep thinking I'll have to rent that one sometime, but I never find the time to head out to video store to DO so! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. I typed in my 'real' surname and found it never listed, therefore no origin or meaning. Does this mean I don't exist?

    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool name site! Although it turns out I'm currently just the son of Roger, and used to come from Stonehouse.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally, Batman's lips never did anything for me, but to each his own. Your thunks were good and the 13 very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howard I know a nice girl with voluptuous lips that may "work for you" ---Vicki Vale?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are in fine voice today! Roared at the piano player grabbing the tips and running. Doesn't Batman's lips change in every movie? Has anyone done more than one or two of those films? You are a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bud Weiser ----oh but THOSE lips just send me all a'twirl inside!! Who cares about the others? I want THOSE lips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go Anni..Go Anni...Go Anni....
    How many Batman's were there anyway?


    Have a great Thursday!
    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2010/02/they-said-were-not-laughing-at-you-were.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Batman........TOTALLY! He can come rescue me ANYDAY!

    ~Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  16. #5 seems very right to me sandy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed that Roxie Hart (or was it Anni?) song. I'd love to be a a who too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Baggins :-) I always loved Bilbo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun list of surnames. Lots of good research there... I'm off to check out my family name (Goerlitz = from Gorlitz, how original), my husband's (Coffey = victorious, much better!).

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    My TT is up: http://sweetteasunshine.blogspot.com/2010/02/thursday-13-thirteen-recipes-im-looking.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Anni as always a great read. Thanks for visiting me and we are in Waco now. We are headed down to Austin in a few days and then to San Antonio.... Have a super day my friend!
    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol about your Thunks ! The name interpretations are very interesting ! Leonardo of Capri sounds good ! There is also Paul Neumann who became Paul Newman, lol ! Do you know why a lot of Italian emigrants are called Tony ? Because they had a T-short on with TONY (To NEW YORK) when they were in Ellis Island !

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are some very funny answers there.

    In real life, many many years ago, when I was young single and skinny, I went to a piano bar. I am sure it was not a class A one. I actually danced on the piano. That was a blast. Especially, when money got thrown at me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree. Those Batman lips are awesome. I love word and name origins. I think it's so interesting.

    13 Characters from Rose and Prince Brendan

    ReplyDelete
  24. The origin of surnames is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Enjoyed the name origins. You certainly prompted me to follow the link. Mine means "son of the right hand". Well, I am right-handed, although last time I checked, I'm a daughter. Guess 50% isn't bad. LOL

    My TT: Translatable

    ReplyDelete
  26. Interesting to see where the names originate from. Especially Obama - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I always know I'll be laughing myself silly when it comes time to read your Thursday Thunks! lol I don't blame you for not wanting Barney around, he'd drive anyone insane. You mentioned Whoville..I must send you a picture of my brother Claude's gf Cathy and her two teen daughters who dressed up as Who characters for their Christmas picture...even the hair is right on, really cute:-)

    Using my maiden name this is what it said about its origin:

    Seguin Meaning: descendant of Sigwin (victory, friend).

    How interesting!! Hope you're behaving over there!! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great post Anni, loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Lord! My daughter is 18 , and I was just beginning to forget the horrors that was Barney! Thanks alot!! }(

    ReplyDelete
  30. That's a great TT - and a good website for writers!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello Anni,
    You're a hoot as usual. Loved these. That Ben Affleck is a hottie.
    I applauded after your number.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Anni. Those are interesting thunks and 13s. My surname is also the name of a river in Southern Ireland. I love seeing where people's names are derived.

    Great post. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  33. How fascinating! I always love learning name origins. I like that Dumbledore means bumblebee. How fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Neat Thursday Thirteen -- always interesting to see how words or names originated.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hello Hootin' Anni, this is an amazing blog...first time to visit you and am enjoying my time. Have a great weekend and join mine too. See you there.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anni, Enjoyed your post. I'm with you on the Dr. Seuss. Whoville would be a great place to be.

    Enjoyed your post, as always. I'm really late getting over here today.

    Talk to you tomorrow.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  37. ive visited here. you got nice answers!;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. interesting...

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

.