my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Memories of a not so distant past...

MONDAY MORSELS


Sunday was a pleasant day...finally, a break in the weather. We actually had warm sun. The two of us went out for Valentine's Day breakfast, then by afternoon, my treat was a hot fudge banana split with fresh pecans!! Afterward, I got my DVD finished the best I could, and the room is half way cleaned up...will put the rest of the stuff away today when I've completed pulling dandelions out around the foundation of the house....while the ground is wet, it'll be much easier pulling. No I don't use spray to kill 'em. Yet, with all the rains we've had in the past couple of months, and the fields surrounding the city limits and up north toward San Antonio way, we Coastal Texans are literally sprouting lakes all over the area; not to mention the freezing temps [veritably in the 30s to mid 40s -without windchill & humidity factored in- MANY nights]. Even this coming week predictions---brrrr!....I long for the desert right now. LOL


It's a day of reminiscing ---over five years ago! I rise early and prepare to go on an early morning walk. The air is dry, the breeze is slight and warming. The sun is peaking over the Catalina mountain range to the east as the moon begins its decent in the west over the yucca plants. A faint sound of traffic hits me as I go out the door and begin my stroll. I walk alone. With each step, I get away from the city...soon, the neighborhood is behind me and I am shrouded in beauty. The desolation of sand, cactus and wildlife. I traipse through the teddy bear, the cholla [CHOY a], the prickly pear and the ocotillo [oh ca TEE o]. The Sagurao [sah WAR o] stands tall and stately. Watching my footfall so not to get a shoe full of cactus needles, I tread on. Off in the distance I hear the lone call of a coyote. It sings me a morning song! I'm at peace...in peace. And the world is mine! Through the sterile, desolation of land I know that nature couldn't be more pristine. There is a certain symmetry to it all. The sun now shines full with a golden haze of the new day...the mountains are now shadowed with their crags. It's time to make an about face and return home to begin my day packing. As the day is now illuminated with the rising sun, the Autumn flowers burst open from the recent rains, showing snowy whites, cotton candy pinks, and lemon yellows. The teddy bear cactus shows its brown fur, the prickly pears turn a sage green. Nothing more refreshing and invigorating than a solitary walk in the fruitful Sonoran Desert!!! I took my last stroll through the virginal, untouched, uncultivated lands of the Southwest, bidding farewell, before making work to relocate to the Texas Coast.

And I know what you're gonna say...you say: "Anni, just last summer you were b!tching about NO rain...the drought." Well, I've learned my lesson. I'm gonna be more specific next time I ask for rain. Once it began this past Fall...it hasn't let up. I need to say "I wish it'd rain for a day or two" ---or maybe a HOUR or TWO. Or something like that!!!! Right?






POSTED: Monday, February 15th, 2010
12:01 A.M.
[photo of the yucca candelabras is from my camera...found in my archives. Taken west of Tucson near the Saguaro National Park]

18 comments :

  1. Oh Annie Sweetie...
    I love this post. This is my post. I have traipsed past the teddy bears, the chollas, the prickly pears and the ocotillos. The Saguraos I call the soldiers of the desert, they stand so tall protecting and watching over everything day and night, never complaining, and sometimes we see where a bad guy has came by in the night, and shot them down. They gave it their all, and were brave and defended to the end.

    Off in the distance I have heard the call of the coyotes. Shivering as I walk, praying it is not me they are tracking. I love the desolate acres. They can be mean, but oh so beautiful is the morning sunrise as it peaks over the horizon. It is breathtaking and still does just that, take my breath away. These things will keep me here all my life Annie. I so love it here. I realize it isn't for everyone, but for me, it is. Thank you for sharing my sweet friend.

    Country hugs sweet Annie. Thank you so much for sharing with me today. As always you have such a way of tugging at my heart. Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. This my dear sweet friend is the most beautiful theme I have seen on your blog. It beats everything else you have done. I just love it. Thanks for sharing your walks. And I ain't going to say it. You already did. LOL. Have a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That photo is beautiful! And, I'm just like you. Right now I'm cold and just wishing for some warmth. This summer I'll be wanting it cooler!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're absolutely right about being specific. When we were going to get our second Greyhound, I asked for one just like Fred, meaning his sweet disposition and ease of care, etc. Instead, I got one who LOOKED exactly like Fred. Fred and Jack were both the brown brindle, the least of my favorites, if I were going to choose by color/pattern, but I didn't. Josie looked like them but was much more orange, like a tiger. And now there's Jeff, and he looks just like them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. aahhh, but when it rains...it pours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You painted a lovely picture with your words.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful imagery in your description of your walk. My guess is that you are able to find great beauty where you are now also...even perhaps in those pesky dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those memories of your desert walk remind me of the walks i took with my sister in 'her' desert. there is a special magic there...

    hi anni, glad to hear you had a good valentine's!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH Anni how I love reading your post...
    Honey since I have been building a raft for the last few weeks I can so relate to you. I guess we need to get together about our prayers for rain or maybe one of us should only ask. Geezzzzzzzzzzzz what a mud hole out here on the North Forty....I have not seen a couple of my farm cats in a week or two I am not sure if they fell in one of these mud holes or what. I do hope their okay.
    Love love your new background. Makes me wish I were living still on the coast.
    Love
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't humans funny - we're never quite content!

    Re your comments last post: You're right - our little town is no longer little. When I moved here in 1971, I think we had about 16,000 people. Now we're at about 70,000. I wish it would stop. But as long as we make magazine polls about the "best place to live", it won't happen!

    And yes, the view to the west is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could not believe it when you spoke of dandelions,it will be many moons before we see them.
    I would love to go to the desert with you as you make it sounds so serene and WARM.
    You know what they say "Beware of what you wish for".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice post, I use to walk early in the mornings, I know how pleasant they can be. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Annie:
    Question for you. Can you email me please?
    stoneshy@msn.com

    Country hugs and many thanks sweetie...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, Weather is a fickle thing. We never know what it's going to do.

    Haven't been feeling up to par. Posted about it tonight. Kind of scary.

    Hope you and Bud had a wonderful Valentine's Day

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! Love your photos! Sorry it took me so long to check out your blog, I'm in serious catch-up mode right now. :)

    Have an Extraordinary Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Sonora Desert sounds beautiful the way you describe it. Our Outback, although harsh, as its own beauty as well. I love it!

    We are having lots of rain as well, after years of drought, it's lovely to have our wet humid summers back again, although who knows how long that will last.

    ReplyDelete

.