my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




In "NAWLINS" you're not afraid if someone wants to AX you sumthin'


Click either button to Join


WORDFUL WEDNESDAY


As my title for the blog entry today suggests...if you've been to New Orleans, you know----

There are four seasons there: crawfish, shrimp, crab and King Cake.

I know the special day [mostly in the South USA...in New Orleans especially -see below a history**] the big day this month, February 16th, is the Mardi Gras. In the French Language it literally translates to Fat Tuesday [doesn't "Jour de fête" sound much more sophisticated? LOL ---"Feast Day"]. I've always wondered secretly why on earth would you celebrate "Fat"?!! I think fat as in F A T...no matter how it's spelled, it's lard, right? Altho, I've been celebrating fat for many-a-years, it's become a hobby for me now. And not only Tuesday. In all fairness here, it's probably the fact that it's the last celebration before Lent. So, eat heartily my friend...consume that F A T! Okay, anyway....plain and simple, there are times that I like to embarrass Bud. I just get in those moods, y'know? He's comical when I do something in public that he doesn't think 'kosher'. Oh well...with knowing that, of course my instincts go into high gear and milk it for all its worth. Why not? It's fun. And in time, he'll get his day in court. For now tho....Anni is embarrassing Bud in the Party Store. Bud: "Oh man...now you're getting cooties in your hair. You don't know who tried 'em on before." [sound like an ol' geezer to you too?]


**Mardi Gras came to America in 1699 with the French explorer Iberville. Mardi Gras had been celebrated in Paris since the Middle Ages, where it was a major holiday. Iberville sailed into the Gulf of Mexico, from where he launched an expedition up the Mississippi River. On March 3 of 1699, Iberville had set up a camp on the west bank of the river about 60 miles south of where New Orleans is today. This was the day Mardi Gras was being celebrated in France. In honor of this important day, Iberville named the site Point du Mardi Gras.




- - -<><><>- - -


OUTDOOR WEDNESDAY & WATERY WEDNESDAY

As I glanced up & through the mist, I saw a lonely figure of a man...what was he thinking at the time? It was a dark and foggy morning...Bud walked way ahead of me as I combed the beach for sea beans. I happened to look up to see where he was, and I spotted him through the grayness...atop part of the seawall along the paved walkway against the shore...looking out to sea. I'd like to think he was watching and listening and reminiscing of his Navy days aboard ship!! Like the old salt that he is...his tales of the sea are never boring.
















POSTED: Wednesday, February 10th, 2010
12:15 A.M.

40 comments :

  1. Hope you had a wonderful birthday. I've never been to Mardi Gras and I would love to go just once in my life. :) I so love the Outdoor and Watery Wednesday. The story you tell with the picture is just fantastic. I love it. Bud's a lucky man :) Have a great Wednesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so cool, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm amazed of the tiny figure, looks so real!! Nice shot here.
    Hope you'll have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yah I could see the man standing afar off.
    I love your photo, I could also feel the coldness of the atmosphere. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love to see you having fun in the store. Thanks for the infoon Mardi Gras. Do they still have it after Katrina.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice take Anni. Great post...Thanks for coming by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your hair in the picture, and you look pretty cute in those purple glasses!
    Love the seawall picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. King Cake is great. I even got the baby once!

    ReplyDelete
  9. put the hat on WITH the mask bebe' !!!

    got a box full of bead my NO aunt sent me off her Krewe's float....gonna take em to a get together on Sat night....I'm SOOOO itching to get in that box and dig around for all the best ones!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Morning Sweet Annie...
    Oh my gosh, I so love the picture you captured of Bud looking out to sea. It is so serene. I so love it. It is ashame you couldn't have zoomed in on his face as he gazed. What beauty this is. I think this is a Friday Finding Beauty picture with Claudia for sure.

    Now those pictures of you celebrating Mardi Gra at the party store. Oh sweetie, they are priceless. Cooties for sure. Oh my gosh. I am laughing so hard, as Moma used to say that all the time. "Girl take that off your head, you don't know who had that on before you?" Well, if we buy it and take it home, then it is safe to put it on our head? Hummmmm. I love the one of you in the hat best. You are definitely a hat gal sweetie. LOVE it.

    Have a beautiful day, and I so prayed that you had a beautiful birthday too. I love you sweetie. So many hugs to you....Love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very interesting info about Mardi Gras. I'd like to go to New Orleans to see it just once.

    I know how you feel about those moods. I get them too. They are exhilarating.

    You sea photo is fascinating. Conjures up all kinds of stories.

    Dam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely scene! Great photo, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I zoomed-in the last photo and saw the lonely man, looks very mysterious.. he must be reminiscin.. the good ole days..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Annie, I love that picture!!~ It is funny sometimes how you can capture something and it can be so simple yet amazing!!
    P.S. I would love to visit New Orleans someday, we would have a blast my family and I!!~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy belayed Birthday ! I am so sorry, I had written thursday instead of tuesday !
    Wish you all the best !

    ReplyDelete
  16. We call in Carneval and Mardi Gras is the most important day. It usually starts now on saturday until tuesday. In Germany some parts of Germany it turns the whole country upside down, just like in Rio, there the most important day is Monday, they call it Rose Monday and there are very big Carnival processions lasting at least 3 to 4 h going through Cologne, Düsseldorf and Mainz. Of course it's transmitted on TV.
    I think you look very nice !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful misty shot of the ocean for your Watery Wednesday ... fun info about Fat Tuesday too. Thanks for dropping by Small Reflections. My Wordful Wednesday is here.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun post today... Loved your pictures!!! and the one of Bud standing on the pier staring out to the great Gulf! It was GREAT!!! Have a wonderful day...
    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful photo! I did not see the figure till I read your description, but he does add so much to the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a lovely thought for your wonderful watery photo. Nice capture, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow the Madri Gras started in the 1600s! Learn something everyday.
    Joyce, IL, USA

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your Mardi Gras story! I bet you are a "hoot" at a party...and this is interesting information about the celebration. Your beach walk looks relaxing too. There's nothing like the sounds and smells of the ocean to make a good walk perfect. Your photo of Bud standing alone in the mist shows how the ocean puts us in "calm and peaceful" mode.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your outdoor entry Anni..

    All White

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni,

    When I was young, I always thought I'd like to go to Mardi Gras. Now that I'm older, I have no desire. Love your Mardi Gras accessories.

    I love the expression of your words here: "As I glanced up & through the mist, I saw a lonely figure of a man...what was he thinking at the time? It was a dark and foggy morning..." The imaging is perfect.

    Wishing you a nice day. Playing catch-up once more.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, I missed your birthday. I am so sorry. Happy belated birthday, my friend. Wishing you a wonderful upcoming year.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. He's probably captivated by the stormy seas!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love Nawlins, Mardi Gras and you in all the goodies at the party store! Haven't been for many years, but we do go out for Fat Tuesday every year here in Florida. Yummy!

    There is something about a lone figure on a beach that always captures my imagination, wonderful photos and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The starkness of this photo really hits you. I too would be wondering what the lone man was thinking. Good or bad?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Too funny! Love the hats and mask! Interesting picture of Bud in the distance, it is almost eerie.

    Happy belated birthday!

    ~ Trtacy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing the history of New Orleans.
    I love the glasses in that one photo.
    I know all about that FAT. It stays with me daily.
    Have a Happy Valentine's day

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks like out of a dream.
    Wonderful catch!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the party store pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well, Happy Belated Birthday, Anni! Hope you enjoyed it with friends and family! I'll have a piece of that cake if there's any left! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. That's a very soulful photo, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a poignant picture.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great pic! The man actually looks very clear amidst the mist..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  37. By looking into the sea, we can pull our memories of our free floating vessels into the moment and then set sail effortlessly to the paradise of our choosing. Float upon the dense shores and be free.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I enjoyed your comments about your picture. It is fun to ponder about others thoughts. Thanks for sharing, Joan @Americana By Candlelight

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this photo, the man was so lonely I guess, yes I always love seashore...Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete

.