“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






The Shrimp Boats 'r' comin',,,,& T-13

This morning just now, I completed this sketch. I can honestly say I'll never attempt another one like this...way too many lines and ropes on a shrimp boat. I'm sure I added some that shouldn't be there, and probably missed ones that I should have added. These boats, and actually the crew working on these boats have always held a fascination for me. And the netting, once they're out to sea and going for the biggest catch of the day...that net is soooo wide, it's amazing. And handling the rigs and getting everything to work properly and in order must take a talent beyond anyone's realm. At least for me. It is fun to watch them and their intricate skills....and eating their catch fresh from the sea...well, that is indescribably delicious too!!






NATURALLY...
I named her:
HOOTIN' ANNI

as you can see on the bow










- - -<><><>- - -






Smileys


Everybody knows by reading my blog profile ditty that I grew up and married and raised my two children in Colorado. Of course Irene is a die-hard Coloradoan [tho lives elsewhere] and she sent me this. I so understood every bit of it...

There's a whole gob of them listed, but I'll pick out thirteen...




You know you're from Colorado if you.......:

1] Know what a fourteener is.
    Fourteeners are mountains in CO over the elevation of 14,000 feet above sea level
2] Know the best place to buy fireworks is Wyoming.
    Yep...I can relate to this...we used to go to Cheyenne a lot for fireworks
3] Know that it doesn’t snow in July/August... usually
    I remember one time having a 4th of July picnic in a snow storm!
4] Know what a "Rocky Mountain Oyster" is.
    Ummmm, let me put it this way, instead of BEEF tenderloin, think TENDERGROIN
5] You just laugh when people back East tell you they have mountains in their state too.
    Colorado is the highest state in USA -many mountains above 14,000 ft
6] Know your two favorite teams are the Broncos and whoever is beating the crap out of the Raiders
    [Team whopping Dallas Cowboys!! butts for me].
7] Know you're talking to a fellow Coloradoan when they call it Elitches, not Six Flags.
    Elitches --or recently Elitch Gardens
8] Know what a 'trust fund hippie' is, and you know its natural habitat is Boulder.
    WAS...but I don't think so much anymore... used to be tho, truly.
9] Actually know that “South Park“ is a real place not just a show on TV.
    And, it'll be there forever; South Park Colorado!
10] Have seen the homeless guys outside of Cherry Creek Mall begging for money while listening to iPods.
    Used to be a 'hang out' for me and the kids
11] Don't care that some company renamed it, the Broncos still play at Mile High.
    Invesco Field?-------boo, hiss. It's STILL Mile High to me too!
12] Have gone off-roading in a vehicle that was never intended for such activities.
    Yep, been there, done that---ripped an oil pan loose on one road with the car!
13] Know that April showers bring May blizzards.
    That's why we finally retired in Tucson but the dry there made us move to Texas Coast! LOL


BONUS [and true to my nature 'way back then', yes indeedy!!]----When the weather report says it's going to be 65 degrees in Colorado, you shave your legs and wear shorts.


Next week? You know you're from Texas if-------






POSTED: Thursday, January 7th, 2010
6:10 A.M.

29 comments :

  1. It's funny how each place has phrases and habits unique to itself...though the bonus item holds true for Seattle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting T13. Had to laugh at "tendergroin".

    Great sketch. I would love to have that talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beeyooteeful sketch - I could feel the mist. B : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're very talented. A great sketch. Fun list. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. #4 is the only one I knew!

    http://collectingmythoughts.blogspot.com/2010/01/thursday-thirteen-rerun-edition.html

    Really liked your drawing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great boat. Wow, you are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni, Oh, my! I love your sketch of the boat. You did a fabulous job and it looks perfect to me. Of course I'm not a shrimp fisherman, so am not sure if all the lines are in the right place. But to me it is 100% perfect. I marvel at your talent once again.

    Enjoyed the email that Irene sent you along with your own comments below. I have never been to Colorado, but would like to go one day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. super list going to try it on some colorado friends

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great list - you get a real sense of the Coloradoan by those state-specific phrases. Fourteener and trust fund hippie are my favorites.

    And I love your shrimp boat, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your Colorado list. Since our son is living there, some ring true for me too! I live the shrimp boat drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When we lived in Syracuse, NY, my husband taught at the university. It snowed on Graduation day (May 16). There was a rush at the store to buy out all the sweatshirts and sweaters. The kids though, they just went to their dorms, pulled out their snow gear. They were used to it! One of my husband's students was from Denver and told about snow on his birthday--July 3!

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love those Colorado factoids - so true!

    Your grammar is better than the real song, I think - wasn't it "Shrimp boats is a-comin'?" Beautiful drawing - you blow me away with your many talents.

    So today's the big day for the twins, except they don't really know it. We'll celebrate Saturday - they're singing to themselves in the tub - I'm imagining they're singing "Happy Birthday."

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not even from CO and I enjoyed it :)


    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your sketch is most excellent, but tendergroin is reaching for it, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made me smile and educated me as well. What a fun list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni, that sure looks like the perfect shrimp boat to me:-) I was watching a tv show not long ago about the lobster and shrimp boats that go out and the hard work the crew faces while out there. At times they had to be working on hauling the nets, etc, for 18 hours straight...I think one has to be a special kind of person to have the strength and stamina of that job!!!

    Shows I'm not from Colorado since I didn't know what all of those sayings meant! lol It's so funny how we all have our way of talking...having just done a Southern Belle post on my blog, I had to Google to learn their way of saying things! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh wow, Anni, you really did hit pay dirt with all those sand dollars! It's no wonder you were ready to pee yourself! lol I've never really known how sand dollars are formed so I'm going to have to do some searching on that. They're so fascinating with their intricate details. I also find it quite interesting what you have to do to preserve them.

    All of your shells are beautiful and many I had never even heard of before! Really makes me wish I lived near the ocean:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent picture my friend. I don't know how you did it. Thanks for sharing the info on Colorado :) It will always be Mile High :) WOOT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hubby and I visited Colarado in 2008. It's a very pretty state.

    ReplyDelete
  20. being a Coloradan all my life I had fun with that post. How about Lakeside. We went there with the band from school every summer.
    Then there is Casa Bonita, Cinderella City and Red Rocks (o:

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great sketch! I had no idea they renamed Mile High Stadium. I'm looking forward to your Texas version!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good job girl....... good job....... My brother is an artist but I cannot draw a straight line...... Love the shrimp boat..... such a rustic and a bit melancholy ...... and please send me some sun and sand......... I need Spring...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Anni -- loved the shrimp boat drawing; I have been going through pix to put in the virtual frame we received for Christmas and found a picture I took of the Alicia Kayla when we stayed at Port Aransas one year. She has pelicans all around the rigs.

    I have seen and laughed at that Colorado posting before; our youngest and his wife live in Longmont and we have visited enough that we feel like honorary Coloradans, so we got it!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hah. I lived in Georgetown, Golden, and Arvada at various times during my childhood. I remember Cinder Alley in the basement of one of the malls, and shopping at May D&F / Denver May Co.

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow, your drawing is exquisite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, I'm not from Colorado so don't know most of these but thanks this was good info to know and thanks to John Denver I know "Rocky Mountain High Colorado" ... at least singing it a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOLed at #9.I thought South Park is a total fiction!

    I haven't been to Colorado yet..but I'd love too soon.Seeing those beautiful views on tv...very calming. :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah ... I wish I had your creative talent! I love your sketch ... and as for your '13' ... this native California gal is grateful you included the definitions for those strange Colorado terms! I had no clue! Thanks for dropping by yesterday ... I was at my sisters making 247 tamales (about a hundred more than usual). I'm not sure what she was thinking when she bought the 'fixings' ... sheesh!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

.