my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




...I WAS [at one time] a "ZONIE"





Click either button to Join



THURSDAY THUNKS....




1. Pants on the Ground....
    Yippee!! I finally lost the weight I've always wanted to lose. Now, get outta my way...Dairy Queen here I come. [I know...I know, Simon predicted this would be a hit, I've seen commercials....but not for me...I'd rather take on Dairy Queen!]


2. To compliment Kimber's question from last week.... have you ever fell down the stairs?
    Not DOWN all the steps...but I have slipped on ice on a step, but never fell other than landing on my butt on the very step that made me sit. Sit, Booboo, sit!! I obey the laws...even law of gravity.


3. Have you ever written to a company about their product? Ever called them?
    Oh yes...several times. And I've EMAILED them too!! I'm a stickler for consumer rights.


4. Your dog/cat/snake/iguana/pet skunk (or just fill in your pet's species) goes to the vet. Ok, you take them to the vet... most pets wouldn't go on their own. The vet tells you that your species has cancer. Do you:


    * a. tell them to pull out the needle and put them to sleep on the spot
    * b. take them home and let them live out their life until the end
    * c. same as b. except you don't let them get to the suffering stage
    * d. go full steam ahead with cancer treatments


5. What is your favorite comfort food?
    Just one? I feel comfort in a lot of foods...fried potatoes, ice cream, steak, pizza, cheeseburgers, chocolate. It'd be better to ask me what I DON'T like.


6. If your child was put in jail for putting a gun in their spouses mouth and pulling the trigger (even though the gun wasn't loaded), strangling them and breaking their arm... would you post bail for them?
    Old enough to have a spouse? Old enough to account for their actions I say!!! The time fits the crime!!! And actually, come to think about it...if they were underage, and did this to a friend instead of a spouse, my kid would pay his/her dues...it's called tough love.


7. If elephants had wings, how many feathers do you think they would have on each wing?
    Have y'all seen Dumbo? He had 'wings' and FLEW but didn't have a single feather.


8. Is there anything growing in your refrigerator right now?
    Nothing that I know of...it's cleaned out regularly. No mold, not green fuzzy stuff, no frost, no moisture in the veggie bins...nada. But there is a growing list of things to consume...like a huge imported Belgian Chocolate Bar - it HAS to be eaten. So sorry...I called 'Dibs' on it days ago. :::light goes on above my head!::: I get it now....ya, it does have something growing...it's growing COLD!!!


9. What did you do with your Thursdays while we were on a break?
    Twiddled my thumbs 'til y'all returned. It was gut wrenching!! Don't ever leave us high and dry again...get a guest host or sumpthin' but don't do that to us! I was this close to therapy!


10. Would you donate to the Kimber Ark Building Fund and donate wood? She is about to float away after all...
    Wood? Donate wood? I've got two cats for your ark!! It's either that, or gimme your card # and I'll order some for you from Home Depot since obviously your phone isn't working to order some to build. Got nails?


11. If I were to send you a letter and I wanted to put a little heart sticker on the back of the envelope, what color sticker would you like it to be?
    Red---all hearts are red.




- - -<><><>- - -

THURSDAY 13


Our first residence after retiring and leaving Colorful Colorado was the dry state of Arizona. We chose to live in Tucson since it was like a second home for us anyway when we'd follow the Colorado Rockies to their Spring Training Camp in March and April each year. And we both enjoyed it very much...for a decade. The only water seen around the area close-by was Sabino Canyon. And then, only when we had a rainy winter. The dry air was good...except for the summer months of late July through August when the monsoons would hit...then, it was unbearable to be anywhere other than your air conditioned home. After ten years the white hot sun in the summer months, the summer weather got the best of us and we wanted to relocate where there was more a change of seasons... But we did LOVE Arizona and it's beautiful, uniqueness and landscape....

You know you're from Arizona if:

1] You can pronounce Saguaro, Tempe, San Xavier, Canyon de Chelly, Mogollon Rim, and Cholla. [for those that know not...it's Sah WAR oh, TEM pee, San ZAY vee ur, Can yen duh SHAY, MUG ee ahn Rim, and CHOY ah]

2] You know hot air balloons can't rise because the air temperature is hotter than the air inside the balloon.

3] You see two trees fighting over a dog who's outdoors to 'do his duty'.

4] You put on fresh sunscreen just to go check the mail box [all year long!]

5] You discover, in July it only takes two fingers to drive your car, because your steering wheel is so hot.

6] You can hear the weather forecast of 115 degrees without flinching.

7] You notice your car overheating before you drive it.

8] You no longer associate bridges with water.

9] You wouldn't dream of buying a car with vinyl seat covers.

10] You can say "Hohokam" and people don't think you're laughing. [pronounced Ho HO kum]

11] You think 60 tons of crushed rock makes a beautiful yard.

12] In the summer monsoon season, you know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

13] Your 'cold water tap' is producing hotter water than the 'hot water tap'.


BONUS: Announcements for Fourth of July events never end with "in case of rain......"


I just read this recently and thought it quite interesting. Never knew this 'til now....
    There are various theories to the name of this desert state. Some historians believe that the term Arizona came from the name of another town; 'Arizonac'. This little town is located about thirteen kilometers to the south of the Mexico-United States border. They believe that this town actually gets its name from the word "alĭ ṣon" or "alĭ sona", which when translated into the native language (O'odham) means 'small spring'. Now, the pronunciation of the 'l' in the O'odham language actually sounds like an 'r' to a listener who speaks or is well versed in English. Therefore "alĭ ṣon/a" got translated to Arizona/a'. When the Spanish missionaries came here during the 18th century, they re- christened the place and named it Arizona.

    O'odham [pronounced oh OH dum] is a Native American Nation/Tribe






PS...Bull Rhino TAGGED me yesterday!!! When I went to see what I had to do being 'it'....I found I was tagged with the same tag that I had done a week ago...so, HERE are my answers if you missed it.

PSS....Climate Change report [from all the years past, re: global warming stats.....] is Riddled with ERRORS?!!!!! Read on....


POSTED: Thursday, January 21st, 2010
12:01 A.M.

37 comments :

  1. You make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always start my day with a laugh - unless you oversleep : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni, I had the most fun reading your extensive post today. Thanks for stopping by my post. Your visits are so welcome.
    My mind is filled with the need to visit my blogging friends more. If only I had MORE time. A question that is much on a Blogger's mind!!!

    I loved sharing what's on your mind and mine.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been intrigued by Arizona. The only thing I know about AZ is that we have an office in Tempe. I've seen pictures from my bosses who were sent there for knowledge sharing/training & I was impressed with the views I saw.

    Thanks for sharing. Just in case I get to travel to the US sometime in the near future, I'll always think about making a trip to AZ.

    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that had me laughing! Loved the two trees fighting over a dog one. And 115 is really, really hot... yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder why Kimber needs an arc. Glad you were able to avoid that therapy! Have a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can someone pick just one comfort foot? I have like 120. lol.

    AZ or NM is where I'll be retiring. We went to sedona once and fell in love with it. Although we couldn't actually AFFORD to live in Sedona, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I already have way too many cats for my ark. LOL But thanks anyhow. Funny answers! Have a great Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very interesting post! Great sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Car overheating before you even drive it? It must be very hot indeed there. Trees fighting over a dog is interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good answers. I don't have foods calling me to eat them. they simply evaporate. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love your answer on # 1.. good thinking :) thanks for the visit Anni!

    u may view mine here

    ReplyDelete
  13. I visited Arizona once and I'd love to go back. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll meet ya at DQ!
    Oh, and I'm enjoying the TT series as well :)


    Have a great Thursday!
    http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2010/01/is-there-anything-growing-in-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved Arizona ! From all the States we travelled through or visited it was for me one of the most beautiful once. I like red rocky landscapes, but I can also understand that if you live there the whole year it is not like being a tourist. My friends from Madison/Wisconsin retired last year and they spend spring and summer in Madison but escape to Arizona from September til march.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice list Anni thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with #4. I would not put any of my cats down until I knew for a fact that they were suffering and in pain. They are too much a part of my family - kind of like my babies.

    Btw, Barack going on vacation isn't breaking a campaign promise *but* when there is a terrorist act going on here in the U.S. and our commander in chief is in Hawaii and waits 72 hours before speaking out on the matter - I find that very irresponsible for someone who is supposed to be protection our country.

    Great list! Have a good day <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd love a yard full of rocks. Pretty rocks. And sand. Less to mow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting and humorous. I know many midwesterners who love Arizona. I was there in 2003.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought I could pronounce all of them, until you showed me otherwise.

    And a history lesson, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I avoided vinyl seat covers when I lived in the northern states. Can't imagine that anyone from Arizona would do that and live to tell about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL..I'm so with you on number 3 LOL and your number 7 is the best. LOL. Great answers. Living in Arizona while in college those are all right on. I love them :) Have a wonderful Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. You do know how to give us a smile for the day.
    Thanks for sharing your info on AZ. I have a sil that lives in Gr Valley. She complains about the weather in NE in the summer when she comes for a family reunion.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loved your post. I did one about my own state Ohio with names like Cuyahoga, Tuscarawas, and Mantoa. Fortunately it doesn't get as hot here. Unfortunately it does get very cold. Wheres Global Warming when you need it? (I'll follow the link after my comment)

    My T13 is up. It is 13 things about me through Google Image Search. Stop by if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You've left me smiling again, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all of your comfort foods. I could go for some of them right now.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh dear. My Hubby would melt away in Arizona. Thanks for the intel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your new blog look!

    I think every one else thought of Dumbo but me, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'll take on Dairy Queen with you:-) hehe Oh, Anni, you really had me laughing again at your answers, your sense of humour is awesome!! I really agree with you on #6...old enough to do the crime, old enough to do the punishment. I think I'd rather have your fridge, mine doesn't have chocolate bars in it!! lol

    It was so interesting reading about Arizona. I don't think I'd survive in such dry and hot conditions!! Add my "power surges" to that and I'd be downright miserable! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sorry to tag you again, I obviously didn't catch the earlier one. I notice it had a couple categories that mine didn't (Thank Heaven). Great getting to know you better. Thanks for being such a good sport. You're one of my favorite Texans, and since I used to live in San Antonio, I do know a few.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Vinyl is awful no matter where you live, but I would imagine vinyl in Arizona could cause real damage. I've always wondered what it would be like to live somewhere that dry and hot. ~ Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love the answer to 1. I have a flat behind anyway so my pants tend to droop all the time. It's not a fashion statement or an American Idol plug; it's just my life. I've tried Dairy Queen, but it never goes to my butt. Just my stomach. Hope you have better luck than me, LOL.

    Your answer to 5 is making me hungry. I'll have to remember next week not to visit other TT posts so close to dinner time.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anni,

    I always enjoy your Thursday Thunks. I'm so with you on number 6. If more parents used tough love, the world would be a different place. Seems when they get in trouble the parents can't move fast enough to bail them out. Dad told us if we ever were arrested we had to take our lumps. LOL None of us ever were cause we knew he meant it.

    Enjoyed visiting with you.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  34. Some of those could apply to Houston like driving with two fingers! When I got off the plane in Phoenix last summer, at 10 at night, it was 112 degrees still. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  35. love your answer to #1

    ReplyDelete
  36. i just moved to arizona a few months ago. i can attest to the cold water not being hot. i know i'm definitely not from here because i do flinch a bit at 115 degree forecasts. 100+ degrees in texas never bothered me, but it didn't get that high nor were those temps accompanied with furnace winds!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Um, I think I'll stay right here in Southern Ontario. Very interesting list. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete

.