my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!




CLICK EITHER BUTTON to join


SHOW N TELL


Once a month, Bud and I take about three hours or so, just perusing the Antique Mall if we can. A few days ago Bud and I made our monthly 'trip' to the area here in town. As I browsed around [In a previous post I mentioned I've been searching for something for a long time....I'm looking for a pickle castor fork]. Searching all their wares, I spotted this beautiful blue Fenton Art glass antique candle holder. Fenton glass is a treasure to those who collect, it's been around since the early 1900s. A long time ago, I had found and bought some very narrow, thin, white taper candles. A box of 12. When I saw this blue glass, I thought right away it'd make a nice looking Christmas decoration....with snow white colors for accenting. Using snow, snowflakes, and perhaps usings a small ceramic or resin snowman in the middle. Along with the thin white candles. I figured it would be a change of pace from the Santas I usually bring out for the holiday time of year. And besides, I have quite a few pieces of cobalt blue glass. Tho antiques seem to be way 'over priced' these days, I figured this piece is quite unique in design, I'd buy it. It was in an area of one person's corner ---with a table that had "All items on this rack 40% off". So, my brain started ticking away, doing the math in my head....I say to myself: "Well, that isn't too bad a price then; for Fenton Art glass". After inspecting it for chips and cracks, I left it there for safe keeping and not breaking it as I continued on my quest for the ever elusive item I want. I walked around...going through the door to door areas along the entire city block. Still looking for a pickle castor fork. Actually, the 'fork' is silver plated tongs ---with the fork part being 'bird feet' - looking like this: HERE LOL

Okay, so you're maybe asking what a pickle castor is. It too is antique. From way back. I remember my grandmother had one on her kitchen chop block when the block wasn't in use. You see, it holds pickles in its brine. And the pickles, I remember, were sooooooo good and dilly. Home cured. And the dill was fresh. Yummy. All righty then....a few years back, during another time when we walked the block of stores, I found an old pickle castor. But the fork was missing. I still bought it, just 'cause it brought back memories of days gone by.... Dang! Now, if you're my age, you just may remember something like these. And according to the antique dealer they're coming back 'in style'!! [and selling for way over $100.00!!! a piece ---and some can be VERY ornate and way too fancy for my choice] The glass now-a-days is quite a bit more decorative than those I remember. But then, my grandparents weren't rich, so they may have been more colorful in the homes that had the money. I don't know. From what I figured as this proprietor told me....they come in ruby glass, blue....green, purple, pinks...etc. etc. etc. La di da, I say. I wanted this one piece. It looked just like my grandmother's!!! But without the fork. Bummer. I then bargained with her and purchased the antique pickle castor that day. Brought it home and polished the silverplated holder and cleaned the castor jar, scrubbing it and using soda to disinfect it. A little note for each photo with a mouseover caption, follows:






...and the blue glass I purchased recently? I'll probably show it off again sometime once I have decorated it for the holiday season. LOL



- - -<><><>- - -


FLASH FICTION 55


Walking alone along the seawall,
fog swirls thick, making vision impossible.
Ahead a golden glow from the street lamp enfolds.
Silence.
Forging on, I step quickly.
Suddenly, out of nowhere, I hear
strong, rapid footfalls behind me...

I continue at a faster pace; reaching----
POCKET.... when a forceful touch cuffs my shoulder....

PEPPER SPRAYED!!









POSTED: Friday, November 6th, 2009
4:10 A.M.




PS...today is the day, finally, that Disney's "Christmas Carol" with Jim Carrey opens! I'm gonna be there. Buttered popcorn and soda....yep!!! Bring on the spooks & Scrooge!!!!


49 comments :

  1. You got that one alright :-)
    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni,
    This has brought back so....many memories to me. My mom had something so similar years ago. The glass was very much the same. I am going to ring her in a bit and ask her if she still has the set I am thinking of. Now I remember though it had a tiny vinegar bottle, salt and pepper in a little set very similar. Silver base just like that one. Gosh you have brought back some memories. I wonder if she still has it. IF she has I shall be taking a photo of it.And I will let you see it.

    I've just finished my post, so pop over. Repeat but I'm sure you like to read. (I Hope!).
    Have a good weekend Anni, and thanks for your support on my blog!
    Kindest Hugs and Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni, This has to be the cutest header I have ever seen!
    You really started my morning with a good laugh, it is darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aaaaargh, pepper spray?!?!?!?!?! that stuff is vicious! and your pickle holder is a wonderful find. i wish i knew of antique shops like that around here....

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have been shot a few times...when they used to see those key change cannisters in the store...one burst spraying all the customers in line...beastly stuff. but makes for a great 55.

    hope you have an amazing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spooky and full of mystery again. I always love your 55s. And the psot with that glass is superb too!
    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes ~ not a way to end an evening. Enjoyed the image.

    Thanks for stopping by my place earlier.

    Chef Kar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful glass. My husband and I collect Consolidated/Phoenix glass as well as Lalique. I have a few pickle castors and love them.I will be on the lookout for a fork as well.I see them all the time.Of course,now that I am looking for one,there will not be one within 100 miles of Pittsburgh! Thank you for stopping by my blog.I appreciate the comment.Have a glorious weekend. ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the blue of the glass vase.
    Shame you don't live nearer, we are in the process of downsizing and have unearthed boxes and boxes of ornaments from the past. Stuff we won't have room for, so will have to go to the thrift shops.

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed your show and tell almost as much as your 55! It got my heart racing! I really do enjoy your writing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank God for pepper spray.
    Did you tell the cop you were sorry?

    ReplyDelete
  12. this was a great 55. the suspense of the feet running was crazy fun!!! i love the pickle fork too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dr. J ROFLMAO!!! That's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the glass. It just sparkles like crazy when all shined up. You have some beautiful pieces. What a nice show and tell -- Beautiful. I also see your acorns. I've been looking all over for some. I've got pinecones galore (which I have to gather), but can't find a single acorn. I'm obviously walking in the wrong spots. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I love the antique malls they are so fun to explore and look at all the old and knew items people are sharing with others. I love to look at the old furniture and nicknacks, and all the pictures, mirrors, and toys. I think it is so soothing and relaxing to take a trip back in time.


    Have a great weekend.


    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also wondered what this pickel castor was, I thought about a castor, lol ! You made very good bargains, it looks very nice. I have never seen such a "pickel castor" my grandma put the pickels in a normal canning jar. the blue of the plate is gorgeous !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny that back in those times they had an actual container for pickles. And a pretty one at that. Kinda makes a pickle jar today look pretty lame. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The blue glass is pretty. I love home made pickles but ours were never in such a pretty jar.

    Your 55 was scary enough for Halloween.

    Flash 55 - Holiday Preparations

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that candle holder. Enjoy your movie sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gattina The pickle castor was usually set on a table when dining! She too put her canned pickles in canning jars...but when opened, she'd put them in the 'fancy' jar to use for serving them during a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Fenton glass!
    Your 55 was chilly and chilling!
    Thanks for coming by and reading mine!
    Enough exclamation marks for now.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to see what you'll do with the blue candle holder (i Like it, btw)
    Gracie at http://mylittleplace.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, I hope it wasn't a friend who got pepper sprayed.

    Love your new look. I had a feeling the thing you had up between Halloween and this couldn't be right. Particularly since I couldn't find or get to a comment form.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lets just hope it wasn't your brother or Dad!
    Excellent 55 Anni...
    Thanks for another fine Friday Contribution!
    Thanks also for visiting and supporting so many other players...
    Have a Kick-Ass Week-End...G

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anni,

    Yes, Grandma had a pickle castor that was cut glass and looked quite similar to yours. Some were round as well, but Grandma's was square. I remember the fork and eating pickles out of that jar. Mmm!! Thanks for the memories. I also enjoyed your Flash Fiction.

    Have a great day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another great post. I love the candle holder and I can't wait to see how you decorate it.
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a comment I truly enjoyed it.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I never knew what a pickle castor was. Thanks for sharing. They're very beautiful. And I really love the Fenton glass. Can't wait to see you decorate it for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anni! I love your new blog dress, its adorable! You did a great job... So, ok That is a great idea to have a soap give-a-way... no need for an occasion...
    I really enjoyed reading and learning about pickle accessories!
    Have a wonderful week end!
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pretty candle holder & pickle castor - thanks for sharing. I think back in the victorian era, there was a special container for every condiment on the table. Cute header! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Like an old detective story. I picture it in full black and white. My 55 is HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful glass!
    And ohhh, a homemade pickle sounds so good right now!
    Hope you enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  32. My Grandmother had a pickle castor that I always loved - I believe it was her parents'. One of my sisters has it now. Love the blue glass!

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks for coming by my blog!! off to search around yours!

    ReplyDelete
  34. i have never seen anything like this before, so I got a history lesson with my visit here today!
    love the glass

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  35. Such pretty blue glass and I learned something new about the Pickle Castor. Always nice stopping by! Happy Weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a pretty candle holder. Love the blue!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I hadn't noticed pickle castors before... I like antiquing also.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anni, you have a real gift for making your reader feel a part of the story - and in only 55 words. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  40. So have you looked on ebay for the elusive thingy? You will have to tell me how you like the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Spray us with pepper spray and we will eat you.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Anni...

    Girl, what a fabulous treasure find! I love your blue Fenton candleholder...it's such a gorgeous shade of blue!!! I think it'll make a beautiful addition to your Christmas decor! I also really enjoyed seeing your pretty pickle castor and reading a little bit about the history of them! I've never seen one before! Wishing you the best in finding a pretty pickle fork to go with it!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just lovely! I love antiques, though I only have a few pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  44. That would be a real bummer to be pepper sprayed in the middle of a walk home alone and some jerk come along and pepper spray you thinking it was a cute thing to do as a matter of a fact it would piss me off. very good 55 scarey but good. You'll find mine here below.
    True Loves

    ReplyDelete
  45. OOOOOOOoooooo!!!!! Love this 55! I was with you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hmm...I'll keep my eyes peeled. I'm headed to an a town full of flea markets galore. I've never seen one, but yours is beautiful.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your 'treasure" photos! :)

    Great 55ve, but really scary!

    ReplyDelete
  48. That blue is just gorgeous. What a lucky find. Do you know the name of the pattern? It reminds me of the moon and stars canisters my mom had in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  49. That is so pretty! I wouldn't have had any idea what that was used for and now I know...so thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

.