“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







click either button to join
List of 2009 Photo Hunt themes by the week


I really had an idea for this week's theme, that I'd have the television on when the famous "WORDS" game was aired. Well, I never did. I wanted a photo of the Wheel of Fortune words that were on the screen as the puzzle was solved....instead, I followed a theme for the month. WORDS that would be 'fitting' for October. Well, ONE word that is "tell tale" for a horror story. I can just HEAR Vincent Price quoting this of Lenore, can't you?


Photo Hunt: WORDS












This is on our book shelf
in our bookroom,
surrounded by some of
Poe's Works















    ....Bird or beast above the sculptured bust above his chamber door,
    With such name as 'Nevermore.'

    But the raven, sitting lonely on the placid bust, spoke only,
    That one word, as if his soul in that one word he did outpour.
    Nothing further then he uttered - not a feather then he fluttered -
    Till I scarcely more than muttered `Other friends have flown before -
    On the morrow he will leave me, as my hopes have flown before.
    Then the bird said, 'Nevermore.'...






- - -<><><>- - -


CAMERA CRITTERS







    ...suddenly there came a tapping,
    As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
    'Tis some visitor,' I muttered, tapping at my chamber door -
    Only this, and nothing more....'


If you have household pets you know how they like to chew on grass at times. Our cats, Tahoe [pictured here] and Winston, are INDOOR cats. They're not allowed beyond any door to go outside, for their own safety for health and from harm's way. The one jailed here, behind the shuttered 'bars', wishes dearly she could get out just beyond the patio to those lush green tasty morsels called blades. And, it can be comical. But she knows she has my heart. I [and Bud] have 'em both spoiled to the point sometimes they can get under foot wanting, wanting, wanting. Canned food, dry food, water, petting, attention, and even grass! Yessiree. When I turn around to come back inside, and I see this darling face watching every move, pleading with those golden eyes of her's, and I can hear her faint begging meows...I then do an about face and squat down to pick the freshest [not mowed] for her. And when she sees me head back to the door...she's through the vertical blinds, around the corner and up the step into the dining room in a flash....meeting me at the door and lunging up to my hand knocking the grass from it as I enter. It's almost a game anymore!

Then............upchuck!!!








POSTED: Saturday, October 3rd, 2009
5:05 A.M.

45 comments :

  1. I love that raven! Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. very apt for the month's celebration, anni! that is one interesting word - nevermore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks great Anni and your entry is cute... happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that was a beautiful take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried moving the comment form up to the 'top' ahead of the comments left by visitors...hope this works better for'ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We like you Halloween design!!

    Those are furry appropriate words for this week! We love the picture of Tahoe! Does she make sure she does her up-chuck on the rug?? We used to until Mom put in all tile.

    Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni. your bookshelf is creepy. my son loves creepy stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an early holloween treat. cool entry.

    thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel for your cats but truly it is for their safety. We live in the country and I've seen a few stray dogs wandering around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you "treats" for the month. Very clever. "Your So Raven" LOL. What a wonderful take my friend. That is too funny about Tahoe Upchuck LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. You crack me up - giving your kitty cat grass when you know what is going to happen!!

    I wish everyone kept their cats inside - they don't last long when they roam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog page! I also love how both your memes fit with the halloween spirit! Well done!

    My wordy words are posted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mom could and did recite from memory the Raven so I picked up on many lines myself through osmosis:)"Nevermore"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni,

    Your bookshelf is delightful. Love the raven and skull bust. It looks perfect among the works of Poe.

    Dakota also likes grass. He picks out the choicest morsels. When I took the dead flowers off of the violas this summer, he was right there and wanted to eat them. Since I don't spray them, I let him have them.

    Wishing you and Bud a wonderful weekend. I really wanted to get my Halloween and autumn decorations put out into the yard, but it's supposed to rain again today, so we'll wait and see.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great blog. This is my first visit and like it a lot. I am going to try to put that picture on my sidebar of my blog and sure will give you a shout back. The picture of the cat in the window is super.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do spoil those cats! And what a creative twist on the Words theme! I love it. I think that the Edgar Allen Poe was fantastic. I sometimes lean towards the darker depressed side of life. I love to read Poe when I feel that way. And what an wonderful decoration for Halloween. Or is this something you have up all year round?
    Thanks for visiting me yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heidi The "Nevermore" bust is there year 'round between Poe's books.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally see why The Raven might be on your mind this week.

    Did I mention Thursday that I like your blog decor? Very Halloweeny.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect post for words and for October! You have a separate bookroom? Wow! That must be wonderful.

    http://blondesherry.blogspot.com/2009/10/photo-hunt-words.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. NICE! (and sort of creepy -- perfect!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A scull with a black scraw on a book shelf looks very Frankenstein/Dracula like, lol !

    Poor cats, is it so dangerous to go outside ? I know in some parts of the world it is, fortunately my cats can go in and out, just like they wish. BTW eating grass is very important for inside cats, it cleans the stomac, if they don't get it they can get very sick.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yeeee -- those SOUNDS when I clicked onto your blog scared the heck out of me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great word for the day! Already getting into the Halloween mood, I see. http://healingmagichands.wordpress.com/2009/10/03/photohunt-words/

    ReplyDelete
  24. There's a character, in a children's book, called Mortimer and he's a raven (I think, if I recall correctly) and Nevermore is his favourite saying!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oooh, I can hear Vincent's goulish voice right now... Nevermore! (shudder)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Creepy!!! The sound that played when I visited made my skin crawl, ew!

    My Photo Hunters post is up. I hope you have time to visit!

    have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. hmmm... that was a bit scary coming in slightly after midnight!!! Hahahahaha!!

    http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Here a Edgar Alan Poe quote

    “I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.” By Edgar Alan Poe”

    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  29. My brother Harley loves cat grass. We grow it in a little plastic pot from the pet store sometimes. I refuse to eat even a single blade.
    "Nevermore!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  30. I know that I always got grass for my cat and the reward was spit up on the floor. Not until my Melody went to the bridge did I know that I could by grass at my store, it comes in a pot all grown.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your Halloween decor and the welcoming voice. I love reading Edgar Allen Poe, great choice on words and the pictures you picked to go with them. If you want to wander down my road I’m home.

    ReplyDelete
  32. thanks for the visit. oh that was a good concept - the wheel of fortune words.

    i looove this holiday-themed template.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love every bit of this (and your October Halloween backdrop design is terrorific!)... great words, and great kittehs (we love the kittehs, and obviously you do, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gday Dear Anni. Thank for your kind words in my absence.im slowly making my way around blog land, its hard without glasses.. You are a very responceble cat owner, I woke to bird feathers over my patio this morning looks like tha cat over the back fence paid a visit now ive got to go clean it up wished more pet owners would control there animals.my little Maltese also lives inside with her little door to her own area were she cant get out...

    take care ill return soon

    ReplyDelete
  35. Interesting for the theme words!

    I love your sign off,
    Best Witches!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  36. Books are perfect entry for PH, there's too many WORDS in them! Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  38. LOL - someone is getting ready for Halloween!

    Good choice for this week's theme.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I like your take on the theme words. And your blog looks fantastic all decorated for Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. interesting sculpture there. Edgar Allan Poe's works were required reading during my high school and college English classes:)

    Oh, i love Tahoe pic with his golden eye. I can imagine the begging sound.

    My PH is up too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. My two are indoor cats, too, Anni. We can buy trays of growing cat grass for indoor cats and as you say...upchuck! Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  42. wow i adore this post! loved it. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. You know.. It's funny to me, how kids, or even WE, remember things! Dear Son knows Edgar Allan Poe quite well, but not so much because of school. He recognizes "never more" and much of the story from watching a Simpsons Halloween special on t.v.! Dear Daughter shocked a teacher knowing the preamble to our constitution, word for word, because of School House Rock, on Saturday morning t.v.!.. Anyways, it's very nice to meet Tahoe, and hope you all are enjoying a wonderful weekend! ~tina

    ReplyDelete

.