my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds





Click either button to Join

Before I begin the two memes, I just gotta tell you the huge faux pas I did yesterday. I had planned on visiting other blogs by 8 A.M....have my computer work done so I could get away from the desk and get stuff done around the house, etc. Pfffft!! What a joke on me. I took the memory card out of the camera...slid it into the card reader....hooked it up to the port at the back of the hard drive tower and began uploading/transferring the zoo photos from the camera to the computer folder for resizing so I could make a blog post. The reader told me there were 150 photos! And this was a new chip. So, that means I took 150 photos at the zoo. I think I musta kinda sorta got carried away with photographing, wouldn't you think? LOL ---Okay, so I started clicking away, got all of them chosen, and checked the box 'delete after transfer'. So, they all would be deleted off the memory card once they were saved on the computer. It was taking forever. Bud asked me if I wanted to go to town with him...I needed to get a package sent from the post office, so I said yes. I then, clicked "cancel" to stop the process in order to begin again once we returned home. BIG MISTAKE!! The entire remaining photos [about 70 or so] - the ones not yet transferred, got deleted off the card....they disappeared for good!!! I stayed home, needless to say. I worked on it...loaded the .exe and installed my recovery program, tried it without success twice and then, read the directions. LOLOLOLOL Finally, after hours and hours of futile attempts, I recovered [or the program recovered] them all. After that, I had to resize every one of them from 4000x3000px to 640x480 for the 'net upload. I finished what was to be a couple of hours' work in about 8 hours all together. GEEZ----But out of all this, I would highly recommend the software recovery....I don't know how it works, but dang...it saved my butt!!
[photo used for my opening today, is the zoo's gift shop...where I purchased a sweet little stuffed tiger]



- - -

Now, onto my Thursday memes....


THURSDAY THIRTEEN - Little -or perhaps unknown to many- FACTS

This past Sunday's Sunday Stealing meme had a question about little known facts, and I answered that the Duck's Quack doesn't echo and no one knows why. Well, I thought I'd do a bit of research for this week's thirteen on 'little known facts'. So here is my list:

  • 1- The word "Checkmate" in chess comes from the Persian phrase "Shah Mat," which means, "the king is dead".
  • 2- Pinocchio is Italian for "pine head." according to this site --also, in Tuscan it means pine nut
  • 3- Wilma Flintstone's maiden name was Wilma Slaghoopal, and Betty Rubble's Maiden name was Betty Jean Mcbricker.
  • 4- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111=12,345,678,987,654,321 [check out the TOTAL # sequence!]
  • 5- The term: "Get Fired" from a job originates from- Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down.
  • 6- Coca-Cola was originally green.
  • 7- A snail can sleep for 3 years.
  • 8- Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
  • 9- The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. The only other word with the same amount of letters is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconioses, its plural.
  • 10- All porcupines float in water.
  • 11- The characters Bert and Ernie on Sesame Street were named after Bert the cop and Ernie the taxi driver in Frank Capra's "Its A Wonderful Life."
  • 12- Cats have over one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
  • 13- THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE---whoa! Here's an example: The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."




  • - - -<><><>- - -



    THURSDAY THUNKS


    1. If you were to start a meme (or a second or third), what would you call it and what day would you pick? I don't think I'd start a meme 'cause it'd take too much time to work with one. Thing is, I'm trying to be on the computer with limited time these days. But if I were to do such a thing, it'd probably be on Monday. Dunno why. Monday just seems like a good day for a meme.

    2. When a celebrity endorses a product, do you really believe they like it/use it? Well Paul Newman endorsed Budweiser Beer all the time...and I think he liked it!! Ask Joanne Woodward. She'd know better than I. LOLOL [But the question should be -- would I use the product that celebs endorse? ---I'd use Budweiser to be sure, but with John Madden endorsing ACE Hardware; you wouldn't see me in that store! I can't stand the "Boom Boom Man". That wasn't the question tho, was it?]

    3. Why don't zombies ever just eat each other? They're rotten to the core. Have you smelled zombies? Nobody likes rotten meat, except for maggots....at least that's what I've seen.

    4. If you were an elephant, would you rather roam free or be in a zoo? Let's see...having to work for food or having it given to me ummmmm..that sounds like a political question, right wing or left wing. Wonder what Rush Limb*ugh would say to this?

    5. The doorbell rings on October 31st, do you answer it? YES!! Come on over. See for yourself.

    6. If you see a piece of paper on the ground while out & about, do you pick it up? If so, do you look to see what it is? It depends...if it's paper with a bit of linen in the mixture...and green, I'd pick it up and look to see if it was $1, $5, or $20. If it's trashy lookin'....no, I'd walk around it. When you live in the city, you tend to ignore trash blown out of the garbage trucks.

    7. If Jon Gosselin and Octomom got married and then their own reality show, do you think she would try to get pregnant again for better ratings? No doubt. I honestly think the girl skipped Sex Education at school!!! It's that, or she had the hots for the teacher and couldn't get enough of that either.

    8. If Thursday Thunks was to be put on hold or quit completely, would you be sad? I'd be disappointed 'cause it's one of my favorites. But, trust me, I could continue to live...sad is just a state of mind. Mind over matter...and I wouldn't mind, no matter.






    POSTED: Thursday, October 22nd, 2009
    4:50 A.M.




    57 comments :

    1. You are funny! That camera card thing sounds like something I would do. I like the snippets of information too. I'm glad the Postal service has gone to self sticking stamps, so at least I'm not taking in those calories from licking the stamp!

      ReplyDelete
    2. It's not often I have to look up wards, but that one had me running. Any idea what it means? Apparently it is a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs. Just for the benefit of the next readers.

      AV

      ReplyDelete
    3. ha. the computer. as always, a blessing and a curse. glad you got it sorted though. my current gripe is that hubby borrowed my camera cable and said he put it back, but since it's nowhere in the house i can see, where do you think it may be????????

      right, now gimme some green coca cola... NOT!!!!! great for halloween though!

      ReplyDelete
    4. We have only one factoid in common on our lists.

      Thursday Thirteen - Useless Knowledge

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oh dear me what a disaster! I admire you though you seem to understand what your're doing as far as computers are concerned Anni!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Cool post, as always.

      ReplyDelete
    7. i'd love to ring your doorbell on oct. 31!!!!

      i absolutely love your page look and your treats are awesome!!!

      hugs,

      ReplyDelete
    8. Ouch, if I lost the photos, they'd be lost.

      Did you know cats talk to humans, not each other?

      ReplyDelete
    9. As always...I learn so much. I really love this list...especially #11...who knew??? Well you!!! ;)

      ReplyDelete
    10. What a day you had with the pictures! Glad you were able to recover them! I too tend to take a ton of pics when on an outing.

      ReplyDelete
    11. Loved the 13 little known facts today!!.. Also VERY glad to hear you recovered all your photos!! Whew! That was a close one, huh?! TOO CLOSE! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing some of them! ~tina

      ReplyDelete
    12. I want a new Monday meme doggone it!

      Have a good Thursday!
      http://iamharriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/if-jon-gosselin-and-octomom-got-married.html

      ReplyDelete
    13. Very interesting! Thanks for visiting my new blog!

      By the way, should I know what a meme is?

      ReplyDelete
    14. Very kewl facts. Fun list! Happy T13!

      ReplyDelete
    15. Excellent answers! Especially no sex ed or hot for teacher...LOL. Thanks for thunking!

      ReplyDelete
    16. I am always fascinated when I come to your blog.. I am computer savvy but not that savvy... I love the decor and you always entertain me when I read.

      ReplyDelete
    17. You can get this program called Pix Resizer. It's free and it's so fast to resize pics. You resize them by either they pic or the folder and you are done in less than 5 minutes!

      ReplyDelete
    18. I absolutely agree, that cats have over 100 vocal sounds I can hear this when I walk on Arthur's tail !
      Pinocchio means Pine eyes, occhio is an eye. Testa is a head.
      I feel much more intelligent now that I know that a snail sleeps for 3 years ! It changed my whole life !

      ReplyDelete
    19. Yeah, I've heard about cats' amazing vocal abilities. That's one of the things I like best about my cats, but I'm pretty sure I haven't heard the full range of the sounds they can make.
      Thanks for the interesting post.

      ReplyDelete
    20. lots of thought there I think I'd call my meme Today's big Blessing we note and praise them but daily there is always something we are extra thankful for..sandy

      ReplyDelete
    21. I knew about Bert and Ernie. Great list !

      ReplyDelete
    22. Lee Well, I do MORE than just resize, I enhance the contrast, cut and paste...it's a long process,...but it's just NOT resizing I do.

      ReplyDelete
    23. Oh wow! I love trivia! That was an awesome T13! And then again I get sidetracked by the Octomom and Jon Gosselin question...that one just cracks me up!

      Thanks for stopping by and visiting me today at True Crime Book Reviews

      ReplyDelete
    24. You're lucky you had the software.

      I don't think 150 is all that many photos. I take that many on a walk through a park I've already photographed before.

      ReplyDelete
    25. That was a fantasticlly entertaining post! Well except for your memory card blip, but that was all recovered so it was allright in the end, right?
      I loved your useless information! Who knew that ough had so many different sounds! Why do you need vowels when you have ough! Its all purpose!
      Thanks so much for coming to visit me. I am running a little crazy so I will get that posted on my blog hopefully on Saturday! Thanks again you're a sweetheart!

      ReplyDelete
    26. Hi!
      Great TT list! Thanks for all the little unknown facts list. I didn't know any of it!! Have a great day!

      Sherrie
      Sherrie's Stuff

      ReplyDelete
    27. I'm so glad you were able to recover your photos. In the first of your memes you talk about a snail sleeping 3 years. I can do that :-). What's the big deal? Have a great day, Anni.

      ReplyDelete
    28. Love your answer to why don't zombies each other. Great post. Love your TT as well, very informative.

      ReplyDelete
    29. Gattina There are several meanings, depending on which part of Italy ---just as in the English language; one word could have several meanings/definitions.

      ReplyDelete
    30. Hope I never need such a data recovery because I would have no idea where to start...wait: I would most likely write here asking for help!!
      Love the paragraph dedicated to the English language!!

      ReplyDelete
    31. Oh how awful you lost the pictures. I hate it when that happens. I hope today is better for you. Cameras are so tricky and touchy.

      Blessings,
      Heidi

      ReplyDelete
    32. I have done that delete thing also but I never found mine. Lucky you.
      Enjoy reading your post today it was cute.
      Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    33. share same opinion on starting meme

      ReplyDelete
    34. Kewl '13' as always. Who knew these things??? Green Coca Cola and maiden names for the Flintstone gals will stick with me. Thanks for the Halloween treats ... hopefully I'll get around to adding them to my sidebar before October ends.

      Thanks for helping me celebrate my 2nd Blogoversary at Small Reflections today. You've been most generous in responding to my questions and helping me learn about blogging and I'm most appreciative.

      Today I'll be working on my 2nd Blogoversary post for Sacred Ruminations to publish on Friday. I can't believe I've been blogging so long already. How time flies!

      I'm sharing an award with all visitors in my T-13 at Happily Retired Gal this week. Hope you'll drop by when time permits to snag, enjoy, and pass it along to others.
      Hugs and blessings,

      ReplyDelete
    35. LOL on the photos. I've so been there. Glad you got them recovered :) I'm so with you with #8 on Thursday Thunks. Porcupines float? That must be a prickly look LOL. Your #4 I saw this on another blog. I wonder if that means something...hmmmm Have a great Thursday :)

      ReplyDelete
    36. Great list!! I'm really glad that you were able to recover all those pictures. There is nothing worse than loosing a bunch of pics like that. I would have freaked out!!

      Happy TT!

      ReplyDelete
    37. I knew Wilma & Betty's maiden names, I'm not sure how though, the snail & I have something in common then! Most of the rest was news to me, great list! I wonder why would anyone float a porccupine in the first place?

      ReplyDelete
    38. My computer guru - you - makes a big mistake, but, of course, manages to figure it out! Whew! I'm so glad you were able to recover your pictures. One reason I never say delete while I'm downloading - I know I'm lose stuff!

      I love it that you research so many things and are a teacher at heart.

      Have a great rest of the day! I'm trying to get a post done here while the twins "nap."

      ReplyDelete
    39. #4 would only be a political question if you had to decide between being an elephant or a donkey!

      ReplyDelete
    40. Oh Anni!
      If I were there to give you a big hug I would. Truly I would! Thank you so....much for your help. So easy.....I get frightened, terribly frightened that I will do something and everything will go wrong. You seem really on the ball with everything, clever you. Do you just pick things up yourself? or have you got someone in the house to help you? My hubby is quite useless when I need help on the blogging! Big Kiss for you Anni and thank you so......much! from Sue
      Have a lovely day! 7.30 pm here.

      ReplyDelete
    41. I never knew Wilma and Betty's maiden names. An interesting collecting of trivia today.

      ReplyDelete
    42. Jon Gosslin and Octomom need to be "fixed". They really don't need to breed anymore.

      ReplyDelete
    43. I'm glad you managed to recover all of your photos. What a heart attack knowing that they might have been gone for good.

      ReplyDelete
    44. great answers as always! and lucky u that u were able to recover everything because if i were u and i didn't i would be so sad for the rest of the week! hehehe

      u may view mine if u have time

      ReplyDelete
    45. Mrs. Twins I've picked up most everything on my own. Bud can't even type much without pecking one key at a time, LOL ---so HE'S no help at all.

      Thanks for such sweet comments, glad I could help.

      ReplyDelete
    46. Most excellent random stuff. But... who licks stamps anymore??

      ReplyDelete
    47. Your T13 was wonderfully entertaining! So glad you got your photos recovered. Grrrr!

      ReplyDelete
    48. Thanks for finding me and reading my own Thursday 13, I really appreciate it! Yours was really fun and I LOVED the Thursday Thunks... guess I have something else to do on a Thursday now!

      ReplyDelete
    49. I just told my Coke-loving husband that it used to be green. Thanks, Anni!

      ReplyDelete
    50. Now I know Wilma and Betty maiden name. Do you know Jane Jetson George wife.

      Coffee is on.

      ReplyDelete
    51. I love your 13! Trivia is so interesting and fun. I especially like the last one. English has to be the hardest language to learn as a second.

      I have a different version of getting fired, tho. The term came to popular use in the US after the Civil War and was related to the firing of a gun. But British miners of long ago (they were the first to relate it to a gun) were severely penalized if they stole ore or lead from the mine. All their tools and they, themselves, were put into their home and set afire. So it wasn't really to get rid of unwanted people, but to punish thievery.

      I knew #11 and suspected #12 as cats are so much smarter than dogs. OK, OK, more independent and manipulative than dogs. They sure can make us do what they want!

      ReplyDelete
    52. What a great list of 13, some really odd info there, and I love the math problem.

      The thunks left me thinking and laughing as always.

      Glad you got all your photos back. I've done some silly stuff like that before. It's good when you can fix those mistakes.

      Calico Contemplations

      ReplyDelete
    53. Interesting... thanks for sharing.

      Thanks for visiting my blog.

      ReplyDelete
    54. I love random facts. Like, there used to be a Route 666. Crazy.

      ReplyDelete
    55. I didn't know any of these facts! My son and I love to share random facts about different things. I'm going to show him your list :)

      ReplyDelete
    56. Your faux pas sounds like something I'd do, Anni. Glad someone else can be as dippy as me sometimes...

      ReplyDelete
    57. I enjoyed reading your 13 Anni, where do you learn all of this stuff? Or are you a trivia machine? Loved the info on Bert and Ernie had no idea......

      ReplyDelete

    .