my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



Join Here
and

Join Here

First this week, Ruby Tuesday, then below...Heads or Tails---




RUBY TUESDAY:


This sign, the likes of which are found on many beaches around our islands,... this one in particular is on White Cap Beach. It's a cautionary measure for the protected species of Kemp [Kemp Ridley] Sea Turtles. Our Padre Island's National Seashore has a program during the year, working to protect and help save the turtle's dwindling population...releasing hatchlings during the many months of incubation!! I still have yet to go out and witness the release of the baby turtles, but plan on doing it sometime in the near future!!






<><><>

Heads or Tails prompt this week is: YELLOW


This rose bush in our back yard is Yellow. I've been tempted many times to find the special TEXAS rose bush called Harrison's Yellow [link to photo should open in new window]. Why? It's supposedly THE Yellow Rose of Texas. Being a resident of Texas, the first two things I thought of was Amarillo, Texas. In Spanish, Amarillo means yellow. [Some Texans pronounce it Am a ril lo but the Spanish pronunciation is Am a REE oh] Then, there is the song and legend of the Yellow Rose of Texas. According to state's lore, the first recorded copy of the "Yellow Rose of Texas" was handwritten on a piece of plain paper circa 1836. Historical records indicate this copy was most probably transcribed either shortly before or just after General Sam Houston lead his brigade of Texas loyalists against the army of General Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna at the Battle of San Jacinto on April 21, 1836. And so, the legend begins.... There really WAS a 'yellow Rose'!! It begins with a man...a man by the name of James Morgan who was a slave owner. Circa 1830s. Yet, at that time Texas [then, a Mexican colony] prohibited slavery. So Morgan contracted his 16 slaves to a 99 year conversion: from slaves to "indentured servants". He, as others, profited with this set up. In the mid 1830s Morgan returned to New York and bought more slaves...one in particular, a very intelligent and quite sophisticated, Miss Emily West. She was a mulatto. [back in that era, "Yellow" was used in terms of mixed blood....mulatto] During the war of Texas Independence, Morgan 'donated' land to Houston's men...called to this day Morgan's Point. Stationed at Galveston, Morgan left Ms. West to guard Morgan's Point. Santa Ana, Mexico's leading General of the Mexican Army, attacked nearby and became infatuated by Emily's beauty!! By April 21st, the final battle of Texas's Independence, General Santa Ana was reported found, literally, with his pants down. Morgan, being so impressed with Ms. West's heroism and survival of the battle, gave her her freedom. She returned to the East. Not much is known of her from then on. But we do know that Morgan made sure everyone knew of her fortitude and courage. Records of Morgan's regaling the story was kept by William Bollaert. So we're asked: "Is there really a Yellow Rose of Texas"? We say, yes, but it's not a 'what'...it's a WHO!! ....

Comparing the lyrics and the rose [Emily]? Perhaps a real long stretch, but to connect the brilliant yellow blossom with the lyrics "Her eyes are bright as diamonds, they sparkle like the dew"? Can we compare the fruity scent of the blossom to "She's the sweetest rose of color...."? Should we dare associate the charming but ever-so-prickly canes of this rose to deeds performed on behalf of the fight for Texas' independence by Ms. West? There is absolutely no certainty of anything, but if this rose was so nicknamed by travelers in search of long-sought goals - goals commemorated in a wonderful folksong about a Texas heroine - then indeed Emily may well be the "Yellow Rose of Texas." Ms. Emily "Yellow Rose of Texas" West. [Some books and records have her erroneously with taking his surname, Morgan, but she did not have the name Morgan, she was under contract as an indentured servant, not slave.]


There are OTHER legends of the Yellow Rose of Texas and 'who' she really is. But I'd prefer this one [#1]; since in the lyrics of the poem/song, there are many references to soldiers. We have three possibilities: 1. A woman of color, Emily D. West of New York/some records show Connecticut as her birthplace. 2. Emily De Zavala [related to a survivor of the Alamo], and number 3. There was no real Yellow Rose of Texas. The Yellow Rose of Texas legend and mystic in regard to a critical distraction of General Santa Anna in his tent on the field of San Jacinto is simply a great story precipitated by the imagination of Texans on the battlefield of San Jacinto and was strongly enforced by a person of stature as General Houston to an observer of 1842 Texas, and was continuously embellished and will continue to be as one of the greatest Texas myths to explain and trivialize the decisive victory of Texans over the imperial Mexican Army at San Jacinto.

[There have been those who think the two women referred to in this legend of the 'rose', [#s 1 and 2 above] is the very same woman...being they are both 'Emily' ---what do you think? ** ]


Read more @ Texas Online Handbook
Copy of Emily West's passport application c:1836-7
Yellow Rose of Texas Remains "Unsolved"
Texas Lore: Yellow Rose

** My understanding is: It's been proven that the two females in question are not the same.
but then...
This Book proves otherwise!!
Two references have the name "Emily Wells" associated with the Battle of San Jacinto [that's pronounced in Spanish- ha CEEN toe --while Texans pronounce it Ja SIN toe] Here and here.






POSTED: Tuesday, September 1st, 2009
12:07 A.M.


33 comments :

  1. The rose is a stunner just gorgeous and I found the information about the turtles fascinating. Have a great day, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great things to learn here, Anni. I love learning all about things like this, that you wouldn't normally think to look up.
    'Save the turtles' I say too.
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the Hawaiian Monk Seal comes up on the beach, they put that police tape type of thing around it to protect it. You are only allowed so close to them. Great RT and Heads/Tails. Love the turtle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, such a beautiful rose sweetie. Yellow roses were my mommas favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful rose....

    and turtles are a tad endangered, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice Ruby Tuesday photo and a good cause as well.
    Love that Yellow Rose of Texas, even though I'm an Okie. Have a great RT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually quite like Yellow roses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to witness the release of the baby turtles too! That must be some experience.
    Interesting shot for RT and I love your yellow rose too.
    Have a wonderful Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the story of the Yellow Rose of Texas. Thanks for sharing. Whatever the truth is...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These little turtles are really cute ! Good they are under protection.
    Your story about the "Yellow Rose of Texas" (even I know the song) was very interesting to me ! I like the first version the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. An excellent informative post there. My own county in England has its rose, too - the White Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous rose and so much fascinating information.

    Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni,

    Wow! Such great information in this post. I love it when you post such interesting facts.

    I'm so glad that the turtles are protected. We need to take care of the beautiful creatures that inhabit the Earth.

    Absolutely loved your historical accounting of the Yellow Rose of Texas. It was a song that my Dad sang often. I wonder if he knew of the legend behind it, as he worked in Texas on a cattle ranch in his teenage years.

    Thanks for such an intriguing historical read this morning. I certainly enjoyed it. You and Bud have a great day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. It would be fun to see the baby turtles released. And, thanks for the Yellow Rose story. That was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is wonderful all the way around and back again! I'm getting my twitter bar working on this one! It's also a bookmark keeper! You should do a post a week or more like this! I'm a history teacher and so much info packed into a small post! You are AMAZING! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope people do call and keep the turtles protected. Please do watch a release and take photos for us. :)
    Lovely yellow rose! I love that song and enjoyed your info about it - who knew!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once again you impress me -

    --- We do not have turtels here in Norway, unless sometimes some old Sea Turtles navigate by fault as far North to our Beaches and Fjords.

    The history of Texas is very fascinating and thanks for all the facts given here.

    I suspect you might heard about George Sand?
    If not, well, then you can learn soemthing from our visit to her home a month ago.
    http://toraa.blogspot.com/2009/08/visit-to-home-of-george-sand-nohant.html
    Very fascinating woman, who opened many doors for women liberation several decades after her.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hooray for saving the turtles.

    My daddy grows beautiful yellow roses. He had 5 bushes when I was growing up -- one for his wife and each daughter -- his yellow roses. I know he still has yellow roses growing in his yard, but I don't think there are five now.
    I found your Texas "history" lesson very interesting. I had heard the legend, but really hadn't paid it much attention. You always make me stop and think --- and in reality that is probably a good thing. Good job once again, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How interesting! Now I will have that song stuck in my head. That is okay though. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anni, Loved both of your stories today. I would love to see the turtles hatch too... How fun would that be. And the story of Emily is such a wonderful legend that I choose to believe it. Thanks for posting it because it was a Great one!!! Have a wonderful day...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so nice to see a familiar name as I travel around the blogging world. It's like coming home. I enjoyed your post today!
    If you'd like to stop by my blog I'm at Cake Crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anni, we are warned about nesting turtles in the Spring at Jones Beach on Long Island. I like the sign for your turtles. Thanks for making Ruby Tuesday a success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think they are one and the same. And this was a GREAT piece of Texas folkore. Since I'm from Texas, I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the song sooo much ND THE BACK STORY SANDY

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, Anni...I live not too far from Amarillo and, yep...us West Texans call it AM A RILL O..WE also call my town LUB BOCK...some pronounce it LUBB ECK...not sure why!!
    I love this old song, YELLOW ROSE OF TEXAS...

    ReplyDelete
  26. You're RT post is great. If you'll come visit me you will see that I am a sea turtle lover. In our area of SW Florida it's the loggerhead....

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved reading your post, so interesting with the nicest photos, I also love the sea turtles, yellow roses and I am also a big NCIS fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would love to witness something like that too. Happy RT!


    My entries:
    Moms... check nyo
    Yummy-as-can-be

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great entry for RT! I wish all the beaches in the world would have that.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That turtle program is great, thanks for sharing the pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Report sea turtles
    if you see them on the beach—
    we need to save them!


    My Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Anni, Happy RT, late.
    A reading of he words has a Negro lady as that 'yellow rose,' probably a freed slave since the writer called her a 'darkey.' His endearment calls for possibly a former owner even who has now left for Tennessee.

    "There's a yellow rose in Texas that I am going to see,
    No other darkey knows her, no darkey only me;
    She cried so when I left her, it like to broke my heart,
    And if I ever find her we never more will part.
    (Chorus)
    She's the sweetest rose of color this darkey ever knew,
    Her eyes are bright as diamonds, they sparkle like the dew,
    You may talk about your Dearest May, and sing of Rosa Lee,
    But the yellow rose of Texas beats the belles of Tennessee.
    Where the Rio Grande is flowing, and the starry skies are bright,
    She walks along the river in the quiet summer night;
    She thinks if I remember, when we parted long ago,
    I promis'd to come back again, and not to leave her so.
    (Chorus)
    Oh! now I'm going to find her, for my heart is full of woe,
    And we'll sing the song together, that we sung so long ago;
    We'll play the banjo gaily, and we'll sing the songs of yore,
    And the yellow rose of Texas shall be mine for evermore."

    My thoughts from the words of the song.
    ..

    ReplyDelete

.