my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds





click either button to join


PHOTO HUNT
subject: Electric


...as in switch plates, electric wall switches around our home:















<><><>



CAMERA CRITTERS


Some may think this is a jellyfish [I for one thought so long ago, but have since learned differently]. It is called "Portuguese Man of War"...related somewhat to jellyfish, but in all factual findings this species is in fact, not a single animal, but rather a siphonophore [marine class of invertebrates]– a colony of four kinds of minute, highly modified individuals....all attached to each other and physiologically integrated rather than living independently. With its 'float' above the water, serving as a sail, and the rest of the organism hanging below the surface, it has no means of propulsion, but is moved by a combination of winds, currents, and tides. It is found in open ocean in all of the world's warm water seas but most commonly in the tropical and subtropical regions of the Pacific and Indian oceans, and the northern Atlantic Gulf Stream, reaching beaches in our Northern Gulf of Mexico's coastline. If you happen to be out ON the water, you'd see only the 'sail'...the clear bubble-like section. [the air bladder to be more specific]...the tentacles of the four kinds of sub-animals are below the water's surface. While the blue or pink sail cannot harm you, the trailing tentacles pack a potentially-lethal sting. A list of many different 'sting' remedies are listed on the 'net...from vinegar to professional medical attention, depending on the individual reaction to the venom.

This photo above, I took of the "Man of War", washed ashore on our beaches!! As far as I know, I've seen only two kinds in our area ...one called MOON jellyfish and this one...the one that looks like jellyfish!!




---<><><>---


One year ago today...The devastating hurricane Ike hit the area of Galveston and Houston Texas. It was horrific...tho, comparing it to the historical hurricane that wiped Galveston nearly off the map in 1900 [mostly because of the well informed people living in the area...and evacuations of today's times], many lives were spared with the fury of Ike. Still, much damage was done. Ironically, on Seawall Blvd. on the shore of the Gulf in Galveston, there is a monumental remembrance for those who perished [est. 6,000 to 12,000 human lives] in 1900. These two photos below show a bit of "electric" emotions one feels viewing such a phenomenon....how it withstood the forces of nature in 2008...on September 12th......





.....only to remain intact after the wrath!


I, of course, did not take these photos above. But sitting here remembering all that was happening to livelihoods, homes, animals, property just a little over 300 miles from me last year....well, it can humble a soul and makes one thank God so few left this earth because of Ike with his passion, power, and rage!! There is one huge site that is dedicated to those that survived; with photos they have shared...it's one amazing pictorial history....

HERE, 2008 September 12th and after----









POSTED: Saturday, September 12th, 2009
12:48 A.M.

45 comments :

  1. we call those things 'blue bottles'. and what a disappointing sight when you arrive at the beach and see them there..... have a super saturday anni!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have quite a variety of different switches, nice photos!

    thanks for visiting my entry, have a good day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice entry Anni different switches...Happy hunting. TC

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing all those pictures, one can't help but count their many blessings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool switches.

    We've been remembering the 2004 hurricanes that hit here. We're glad it's a quiet year.

    Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i didn't think switch pltescould look cool but how you shot and grouped them they arep

    ReplyDelete
  7. i like the swith with intricate design. the hurricane pictures were amazing, scary and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning Anni, Great post today but the monument was really heart pounding... It is such an emotional view and it made me think of how horrific the hurricane of 1900 was and how bad they can even be today... The Portuguese Man of War was very cool... I have never seen one! Thanks for the great post...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought about using a switch plate. I was going to have Gin and Tonic hiding under one, ready to pounce. But I decided it was too much of the same old thing I've been doing lately.

    You have some really nice switch plates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't realize that Ike hit the day after 9/11 we must have been so caught up in getting off the curise ship and then preparations for the storm that the actual dates didn't soak in. Thanks for the reminder. The two will be linked together in my memory now.

    You have a much larger selection of light switches than I do. Ours are all just plain Jane ones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your post! Well, except for the Portuguese Men o'War, of course. So many different types of switches, you could almost make a study of them.

    thanks for your visit earlier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting variety today - love the switch covers. Don't like man of wars! Amazing photo of the hurricane's power.

    Have a great week-end! I hope to get a new post done sometime in the next 24 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very informative post Annie!
    Deathly beauty. :)
    It's hard to believe Ike was just a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an educational post! And great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never seen a jellyfish like that nor a portuguese man of war. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very complete and informative post!
    Thanks for sharing and Happy Camera Critters
    purrs and love
    Luna

    ReplyDelete
  17. You a have a lot of different light switches but they are cool. I didn't think it was a jellyfish but I wouldn't have guessed portugues man of war either. The photos of the monument reminded me of the end of The Planet of the Apes movie when Charleton Heston riding on a horse and finds part of the Statue of Liberty. I don't think I've seen that memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm down here on the Gulf coast in SW Florida and although I've got friends who have encountered them, I've yet to see a Man O War on the beaches. There are plenty of sea critters I enjoy meeting up with, but that one - I bet, not so much!

    Tink *~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  19. After a year and our remodel we are finally starting to enjoy living on the coast again. Ike was a very humbling experiance we will always feel guarded now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I came here for the Photo Hunt but want to comment re the Portuguese Man of War -- sounds absolutely scary. BTW, did you know that there's a Sherlock Holmes story in which it has a prominent part? ;b

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wracked my brains and dug through my archives to think of something electrical. Your pick was so simple, a light switch! thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, you've got a lot of switchplate styles going on in your home! I love the ornate brass one...

    My Photo Hunt entry is up here

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice post (switches). The Portuguese Man of War ... beautiful creature in the sea. Ties into the sea and Ike. IKE was horrible. We lived on the island for 13 years before moving up to Houston and are happy we are living in Houston. Our former home on the island had 8 ft of mud and water in it. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anni - thanks for swinging by our 100th post and leaving a comment! We love the beach but we think we'd run a mile if we saw one of those icky man of war thingies washed up on the shore!

    We liked the inclusion of the monument of rememberance - very sobering. We are thankful every day for all we have and images like this remind us to never forget those who have lost so much. Schnauzer snuggles - JD and Max.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cool lightswitch collage. You are so creative!
    Very interesting tidbits about the Portugese Man of War. The raging surf in that hurricane shot is terrifying!

    I captured my vintage stove shot in tiny, hands-on, historic museum at a local state park.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great photos. I love funky switch plates. :)

    My Photo Hunters is up. I hope you have time to visit mine! New York Traveler.net

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. All great posts... those "levilor" (is that correct?) switches are the best... and your shots from the hurricane are spectacular...
    have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. did not realize they had that iridescence

    ReplyDelete
  29. wonderful series of pictures, great post..

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fascinating facts about the Portuguese Man of War - who'd have thunk it?
    Love the light switch plates too - ours are all boringly the same!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your electric light switches! Very ingenius! And such great info. I loved the pictures you found of the statue in the storm. Isn't it wonderful that things are able to survive against such a force of nature!
    If you'd like to stop by my blog I'm at Cake Crumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great set of switches! This was quite an interesting post, I like the way you are combining different things. I never quite have the nerve to put two different memes in the same post, I have no idea why.

    I have a little different take on the theme this week.

    http://healingmagichands.wordpress.com/2009/09/12/photo-hunt-electric/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow what amazing pictures of the hurricane. I hope this Saturday is finding you well. Lovely post.

    Blessings,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  34. Neat light switches!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The ocean has some of the strangest creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Great take on electric!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i think that critter is octopus.

    ReplyDelete
  38. what a lovely collection of electric switches.

    ReplyDelete
  39. THat's a cool set of light switches! Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  40. Another great post, Anni. The photos of the storm's aftermath show just how awful it's power was. Thank you for finding them for us. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a wonderful post. I so know what you are talking about with those Portugese Man of Wars. Of course, when you are on the beach and get stung...pee works wonders, or so I've heard LOL. My college roommate and his wife and kids live in Houston and I so remember making sure everything was okay with them through IKE. That was something else :) Have a great Weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm here for the electric part of this post ;-) (good finds!) but am intrigued with the bit about the man of war. EW! I would have thought it was a jellyfish too.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Impressive post - love the variety of switchplates and the man of war looks deadly for sure.

    ReplyDelete

.