“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes








Karmyn is hosting our Fun Monday this week. She asks of us to show our prize winning gardens...or what's growing on our patio in a pot....

I have shown so many things that are growing in our yard. [Here, here, here, here, and here for example - to mention a few]. Tho I don't have a veggie garden at all...I do love to have flowers in bloom. Right now, being in such a deep drought in our area of the world, nothing much is blooming profusely. Everything looks pretty sickly...the flowers still bloom of course, but the size of the blossoms are stuttering [Like, oops! I'm supposed to bloom, but can't!] and wilt before the day's over. NOTHING compared to when Spring was here just months ago. Instead, I thought I'd show you what is 'growing' out of our flower bed stone wall!!! I've had these little creatures hiding in pots and sections of the garden for decades [I've blogged about a few of them before]....but one day, I began to move 'em around so I could pull weeds. When I did, I sat one on the stone wall and it blended so wonderfully with the 'color' of the stone that I liked it too much to have 'em put back in the garden area...the soil. I went around the yard, and collected them...and then, broke off the stakes that are used to stick into the ground.....Bud sanded the chipped pedestals off to make them flush with the figurine's body....I then, went around the wall and perched them at random spots....

First, let me show you a small section...fuller view of the stone-walled flower bed [the white at the lower edge of the photo]....




So now, I bet you're curious.
Here is what I have 'growing' out of the cracks in the wall.....







They [miniature fairies and gnomes] are so perfectly matched in color, you can see them only when up close...so whimsical, it gives a magical aura to the back yard wall. Oh, and I think over the years, I've purchased these in the different Wal Mart garden shops for 'cheap'.




Posted Monday, August 10th, 2009
12:20 A.M.


24 comments :

  1. WOOT...fairies and gnomes...your well protected I would say :) They all look so cool. My fav is the 4th one down on the right. Love her. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love them all sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm, think i can convince you to come visit and 'tune up' my garden now that spring's around the corner????

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! They look so cute there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Restaurant in downtown Cincinnati was adorned with those gnomes along the facade, probably 50 of them, all carved (wood). Many people walked by every day, and never even wold notice, but a few, especially foreigners, admired them... Thanks for memory.

    I worked there through many years, second job to my symphony playing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our garden waited for the much announced and expected rain all weekend long...but no such luck... love your little gnomes, particularly the fact that they are hiding!! so cute.
    "My" sunflower is the real thing!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your lovely awards.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cute !!! at least you don't have to water those ! I heard that it is terribly dry in Texas, there is always something or too much rain or too much sunshine. For the moment the weather is quite good here and I hope I will have a lot of sunshine at the English coast !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gardening is not a lot of fun when everything has to be artificially watered. Even in my Zone 6 we have only a couple of months when the flowers and vegetables look really good. I can appreciate what you go through. As usual though, Anni figures out a way around things so she can still be amused in the garden. I'll bet each one of your gardening "friends" has its own story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely! I must look for some of those to live in my yard. And a garden gnome. I've been wanting one of those for years (my grandmother had one in her garden, but my uncle got it when she died).

    ReplyDelete
  11. How cute is that. I love the garden faries and the gnomes. Such a cute idea and something to see as a surprise as you walk through the garden. Great fun. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooo, congratulations on all your lovely awards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni,

    The wall in your yard is lovely and your gardens in such good condition. I know you work hard to keep them looking nice.

    Your gnomes and fairies blend into your wall perfectly. A very unique display.

    Enjoyed my visit, as always. Try to keep cool.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. PS. Congrats on all the awards. They're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sweet Annie!
    What a wonderful post. Cograts on the awards. You are a jewel for sure. I love the little gnomes that were amongst the wall in your yard. They are so precious and magical. Amy will be at the Presbytarian hospital in Okla. City. The only hotel that is close is the one that the Cancer Society works with, but unfortunately they have not given me them two weeks notice, so they are basically on their own. There isn't anything else close by. As Amy is going to be there for quite some time, we are hoping that they can get on the list sometime soon. Once Amy gets moved out of ICU and they have a room to be in, then Debbie will stay there with her at night, but for now she will be in the care of ICU until further notice. They do have the ICU waiting room and like Debbie said she can clean up a little each day in the restrooms. We always make do don't we? I think it is a Mom code or something like that. Have a good day Annie. I am staying home today as I could not concentrate at work. I am just to nervous.
    I will post when I know something. I love you, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly deserve all those awards and more!

    I love the new look of your blog. Just in time too, cuz your blog is the featured blog of the month at HoT. =)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a wonderful sweet addition to your flower beds. I love the fairy and gnomes, they really compliment the garden.Thanks for sharing and Happy FM

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes, Annie - I remember seeing all of your gorgeous, gorgeous flowers and gardens! You truly do have a green thumb. Maybe you have some assistance from all your little fairies and gnomes! They fit in nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry your flowers are gasping for water! It's good that the gnomes don't need a drink.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable, I love them! I used to have a lot of faeries hiding in my garden too but a certain little puppy started "picking" them and dropping them on the concrete. We are down to a couple of gnomes at the moment. I plan to replace the faeries when she gets a little older and more respectful of what is not hers. LOL. Happy Fun Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  21. VERY cute! They do blend in nicely - like they were made to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on receiving all of these lovely awards, dear Anni:-) Your posts are always so interesting, you deserve every award out there!!

    I absolutely adore how you've placed the faeries and gnomes against the cracks in the cement wall...perfect!!! They do indeed add a magical touch and whimsy, love it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.