my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out





CLICK EITHER BUTTON to join


First, Friday's Show n Tell.
Below that is my Flash 55
and added below that is
a little scientific hypotheses indulgence of mine today.....


These three clay receptacles we purchased one day we drove from Tucson, Arizona USA to Nogales, Old Mexico and shopped. For me it was always a lot of fun to walk through the old towns and peruse the shops. Most of them are outdoors, where they sell their wares. And the best part of my shopping for fun is how you can bargain with the hawkers. They'll sometimes come up to you when they see you looking through their inventory...and they'll tell you in broken English [sometimes speaking fluently!] their price. Sometimes I would shake my head 'no' and continue to walk around...they'll follow and say "How much?" Then, I would always knock off about 30% of what they originally told me...then, again give a negative motion and say "I'll take it for....then, tell them 50% of what their aksing price." I would get such great Southwestern stuff this way. I really can't remember the EXACT price of these three...but it was something like $12 or less!! For all three.

Kokopelli is one of my favorite Native American symbols. Two of the three have the same. They are supposedly associated with fertility in lore. The one on the left and the on the right is the Kokopelli. The one in the middle is a marriage urn...here the bride and groom would drink on the 'wedding' day from the same vessel. They've never been used for any other purpose other than decor. If you'd like to read more on the symbol, click here.



<><><>



A haunting reverie; a song
Resounding through my mind.
Eternal, a place, for which I long
...ageless, constant; tender & kind!
Yet, still, those words outlast.
Lyrics carry me; a distance far away
of time lingering; past...
as if, only yesterday.
Words within, will remain.
The haunting reverie of a song...
Love's harmony, forever; once again.





Love's Refrain © August, 2009
by....Hootin' Anni
Do Not Copy!



<><><>


Could Earth be a suicidal planted also?

I love trivia...my favorite board game is trivial pursuit...we have three editions now in our house. Still, my best is the Genus I version. And therein, playing that game, my favorite category? Yes...Science and Nature...the green tab!!! [I rarely miss on that one---oh, and Bud's best of the best of the best is....history!] I love to read articles on such scientific findings and hypotheses also. While logging out of my Yah** email, there pops up this one:----

    WASHINGTON – Astronomers have found what appears to be a gigantic suicidal planet. The odd, fiery planet is so close to its star and so large that it is triggering tremendous plasma tides on the star. Those powerful tides are in turn warping the planet's zippy less-than-a-day orbit around its star. The result: an ever-closer tango of death, with the planet eventually spiraling into the star. It's a slow death. The planet WASP-18b has maybe a million years to live, said planet discoverer Coel Hellier, a professor of astrophysics at the Keele University in England. Hellier's report on the suicidal planet is in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature. "It's causing its own destruction by creating these tides," Hellier said. The star is called WASP-18 and the planet is WASP-18b because of the Wide Angle Search for Planets team that found them. The planet circles a star that is in the constellation Phoenix and is about 325 light-years away from Earth, which means it is in our galactic neighborhood. A light-year is about 5.8 trillion miles. The planet is 1.9 million miles from its star, 1/50th of the distance between Earth and the sun, our star. And because of that the temperature is about 3,800 degrees. Its size — 10 times bigger than Jupiter — and its proximity to its star make it likely to die, Hellier said.

Now, this brings on a question of those infamous "what if's" that I always daydream about after reading such words as quoted from the site above. Hmmmmmm, instead of the greenhouse effect that we humans are supposedly creating ourselves [which to some extent I can't agree on for one specific item throughout history ---storm, temps, mother nature...there HAVE been worse scenarios in our past weather patterns that have been lethal before ---yet, the 'green' of saving the planet without wasting and tons of refuse, I DO agree] --is it all possible for our own planet Earth making a billion or more year jaunt in our solar system....traveling closer and closer to OUR NEAREST star? The sun? Of course...I say, ANYTHING's possible!!!! Maybe, just maybe that explains the long trek of millenniums to the hotter, longer days that we have experienced. Are the Aztec's prediction of the world ending in 2012 feasible? I keep thinking to myself secretly on this statement...."Of course the world AS WE KNOW it will end....even from day to day it ends...only logic tells me this." But really, will Earth burn? How will it all end?


[italicized contents of quoted article is not intended to infringe copyright - photo of burning planet from fotosearch]







POSTED: Friday, August 28th, 2009
5:45 A.M.




37 comments :

  1. Enjoy your weekend sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those so very much. You wrote they had no real purpose, well just the beauty of them is a purpose I guess.
    Gracie at http://mylittleplace.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. your 55 is haunting beautiful. you're quite the poet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A haunting, different 55. You surprise.


    My 55 is posted
    HERE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love does leave you eternally young!

    Great 55ve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved your post. Culture, history and philosophy combined. What more could I want on a rainy Friday morning. Thanks for visiting me so I could come by and see what you were up to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hootin Anni.

    You really know how to bargain. Thats great. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for sharing. Happy friday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great words for your 55. They took me along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reminds me of my first kiss, I remember the song in the background. Hey, you could sneak a kiss on the beach today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting pieces of pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Buying the fertility vase?? Are you trying to tell us something there? Just kidding. I find your whole post very interesting. My son will love me showing the article on the suicidal planet.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning, Anni
    I like your show & tell. I have a pair of earrings with the kokopelli dangling from them. I bought them in Tuscon in 1997 in a hotel gift shop near the university campus.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked your show and tell, too. Your 55 was exquisite. Amazing how it looks more, isn't it?!

    Earth suicidal? There's a joke in there somewhere; I just fear it's on us some days.

    Not today though - today's Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning Anni, your three clay pottery items are great!!The colors would go with any decoration...You have good taste...

    Thanks for sharing them and your information on our planet.. have a great week-end.
    Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post. I got a little bit of few different subjects and that was pretty darn cool. When we took our vacation in Sedona last year, I remember seeing that little symbol everywhere we went. Very interesting. Love the poetry...haunting and beautiful, and the theory on earth...hmmm, makes one pause and think.
    Thanks for the brain jolt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very thought provoking 55. You have such a nice way with words. And I also loved the show and tell. I love traveling thru AZ and all the indian art there. Happy Friday and thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aren't these just too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank You Anni for this beautiful piece.
    And the planet thing is too weird indeed.
    Have a Wonderful Week-End My Dear....G

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to haggle too ! I have to do it in Egypt all the time and do the same as you, first under the half of the price and then finally we haggle and haggle and get a good price for both. You did a very very beautiful bargain there ! I love these designs, just looked in your link to Wikipedia !

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pottery is beautiful. I've always like the Kokopelli symbol also, it's something you see all over the southwest. Thank you for sharing them. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm delighted by your poetry and prose. Moving and beautiful
    Good work dear anni

    ReplyDelete
  22. A haunting poem that goes well with the B&W picture.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They are amazing! You are some bargainer!!

    Please stop by The Old Parsonage anytime, I love company!

    Enjoy
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  24. Things from Mexico are always fun. These three are nice.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  25. Some music/songs can invoke memories so haunting. Fabulous 55 m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your 55 gets two thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You humans and that love stuff. It is a bit weird.
    But a great 55.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for the visit. Love the 55. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I so remember going to Nogales when I lived in Tucson going to UofA. The shopping experience was like no other LOL. You are so right on target with how it actually happens. Love the receptacles. They are beautiful. Love the 55. It is just awesome my friend. So thought provoking. Trivial Pursuit? I love that game but science was always my worst subject. Loved the trivia you presented. Gives you much to think about :) I just hope I'm not here for the end. Have a great weekend my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great bargains on your pottery pieces. Thank you for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the vases and southwest art in general. I've been as far as Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those pots are really unique, and what a neat story to go along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love the pottery and stopping by for a visit. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your 55 is absolutely beautiful!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anni, that is a moving piece of poetry...made me cry. Have a lovely weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. " Words within shall remain"...

    Wonderfully lyrical this 55 of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful pottery from the SW! When my husband & I were married we recieved a marriage urn from family in NM.
    I always love shopping in market place settings where you get to dicker for your price:) It's fun!
    Thanks for stopping by my show & tell, too!

    ReplyDelete

.