my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Wednesday, July 8th, 2009
4:44 A.M.



...and...

Click either button to Join


Burgers, Fries, and shakes...oh my!








Whataburger began in 1950 when Harmon Dobson opened a tiny burger stand in Corpus Christi, Texas. The photo on the top left shows the original hamburger stand that began here some 50 years ago; now, with plywood-covered 'windows' . Today, the chain fast food restaurant is highly prized for inexpensive burgers and other goodies - all made to order. I like mine [altho I stopped going there when I had to cut down on cholesterol] dry, no seasoning [didn't need the extra salt!], double the cheese, jalapeno peppers and a thick, chocolate shake. Then, they came out with the grilled burger with provolone cheese, grilled onions and sauce on a sourdough...whoa!!! Heart failure, but oh so good. The photo on the top right and last photo of the series, is a bronze sculpture that has him sitting on a park bench...just outside the door of the infamous Whataburger on the Bay. Which you have the opportunity to go up on the 2nd floor with the bay waters in view, and/or dine outside with a view of the Marina in town also! [fourth photo in the series shows the upper level outdoor balcony - the view of the bay is 'off to the left side of the railing' --looking toward the clouds/trees] Today, tho the headquarters has moved from Corpus to San Antonio [economical reasons] -it's still owned and operated by the Dobson family and has more than 700 locations in the United States' southern states. With America's weakened economy, many job layoffs and closings of some around the states have occurred recently. It's sad. Oh, and they have some mighty tasty breakfasts too...yummy. I like #8...it's scrambled eggs, hash browns, texas toast [or pancakes or biscuit, your choice] sausage or bacon with orange juice, milk, coffee or sodas. I ordered the texas toast and then asked for a couple of tubs of butter and their fresh maple syrup and made myself 'french toast]. LOL

33 comments :

  1. Thats an interesting piece of history. A great statue of the originator. Sad that hard times are here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun place to go to!
    PS - I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing this sweetie, great new look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very interesting....and you have some wonderful shots...Love your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that statue - it is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually get the chicken strips, they are easy to eat in the car.
    If I try to eat a burger in the car I end up wearing most of it..lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that statue - it is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That building is so right for the July 4th celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're making me want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that there is room next to the statue to sit down :)
    Pancakes and syrup! my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy breakfast! Very cool! A magical WW to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. girl? what do you think you're doing?? it's 3pm, i haven't had lunch and now i'm faced with burgers, fries, bacon, toast and maple syrup???????????

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whatalotoffun that would be to visit that Whataburger on the water. Never heard of them, and it's probably a good thing, since it would totally undo my attempts to eat less stuff that adds to my mid section in a serious way these days!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Annie!
    I'll take a whataburger please. Love, love, love that place. We have them out here, and they are just the best burgers and shakes ever. Thanks for sharing with me. I am so thrilled, thrilled, thrilled that you loved my lemon tree story. It has touched my heart too over the years. When I stand in my kitchen and do dishes and I see that beautiful tree, with Heidi's two girls sitting underneath it playing with their Barbies, I just melt. Her strength and love has provided over the years. And the day she got married and moved out, she handed those limbs over to us to care for. Thanks for stopping by my friend. Country Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds like a really fun place to go. Burgers and breakfast with a bit of history to boot. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice pix & history behind them. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shadow Good thing I didn't add photos of the food then, huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Annie,
    Enjoyed reading this post, reading your description of the hamburger with all the fixin's made me hungry. Our daughter lives in SA and i will have to ask her about this place,thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew you'd like this post. We didn't find any arrowheads - I doubt there are any left! Dwight said to me that you're not supposed to take them if you find them and I asked who's going to know that and who's going to police that??

    Virginia Dale - yep.

    And Mulberry is Highway 14.

    Green - I hate the word in that context, but had to stick it in!

    More to come later this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anni, I will never forget eating my first Whataburger! We ate them a lot in college, and every now and then I get the urge to indulge! So neat to have the history of the business. I should have known something that tasty would come out of Texas!

    Happy Outdoor Wednesday...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. "heart failure but oh so good" loled at that. now i'm hungry. i love thick chocolate shake to go with my burgers too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing the history. Yes, that cholesterol thing does get in the way of a lot of good eating.
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anni,

    Very interesting history. I bet the food is scrumptious. The photo with the boarded up windows reminds me of a place that we used to go as teens to have a burger and fries and gravy. Mmm! That place had car hops and we went there after a drive-in movie for a bite to eat. What great memories you've brought to mind.

    Hope you have a great day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. It is so great to have restaurants to visit that have stood the test of time.

    ReplyDelete
  25. We don't have them in my area of Florida, but I see them on the other coast when I visit. Now, I'll always think of you when I see one.

    I love that they still have the original building!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great place. I'd love to eat there. Looks fun. I see you've changed your site again. EXCELLENT :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a neat place. We don't have those here. Now I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds like a fun place to visit and a place to forget all of your food restrictions and just go for it!! I love the history behind Whataburger and your story is cute!

    Happy Outdoor Wednesday!! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  29. There is nothing like a good burger. Few and far between for sure.
    I am reading Dreams from my Father right now. I haven't read A Time To Kill but loved the movie.
    Thanks for stopping by my site. I do get a lot of compliments on the name but my family wonders who I am referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anni,

    I've noticed that you play a few other memes in the blogosphere. I really enjoy your answers! I'd like to invite you to play The Queen's Meme every Tuesday with Mimi Queen of Memes.
    The fun begins next week on July 14, 2009. I will send another reminder to everyone on Monday.
    The Queen's Meme

    I hope you will join us!
    Mimi Lenox

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now I need a milkshake!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Whatawhat burger? LOL
    Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
    ~Ann

    ReplyDelete

.