“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Fun Monday is below this post.

Memory:


I've seen this around a lot as I peruse other blogs...Monday Memories. But now that I thought I'd do an entry for it, I can't find it anywhere today. Go figure. Maybe it has something to do with MY memory perhaps? Anyway...to go forth with the post I'll first add this then get to a memory of mine....
    An elephant is drinking out of a river when he spots a turtle asleep on a log. The elephant ambles over and kicks the unsuspecting turtle clear across the river.
    "Why did you do that?" asks a passing giraffe.
    "Because I recognized it as the same turtle that took a nip out of my trunk 47 years ago."
    "Wow, what a memory!" says the giraffe.
    "Yes," says the elephant. "Turtle recall."
- - -

Since this awful drought is so unrelenting and we get no moisture or any signs of some relief, Bud and I were talking that just maybe this area of the Texas coast could turn into another Arizona desert in time....actually the Sonoran Desert [in Arizona] was swamp millions of years ago...so I guess it's possible, but highly unlikely in my time on earth...but still... Anyway, our conversation continued and you know how it goes...one thing leads to another. Of course by reading my complete profile from the past you know we first retired to Arizona. We lived there for nearly a dozen years before moving to the Gulf Coast. As a kid I visted the OTHER side of the Grand Canyon....but again, I was a kid. I wasn't 'into' seeing the beauty of it all. In fact, I can't remember much of it...I think I was 7 ....not impressed...I wanted to be where it was FUN for someone my age...bored stiff. Okay...so then, when Bud and I retired to the Grand Canyon State...we took a weekend trip to the lodge in the Canyon from the Flagstaff side of it....and we left Tucson before sunrise....When we take long day trips, we take turns driving. After we passed through Flagstaff and turned toward the San Francisco Peaks...I took over driving. Beautiful countryside...mountainous, curvy road...pines....snow on the peak. Absolutely reminiscent of the Colorado foothills...I was enjoying it.


Then, we got to the entrance to the Grand Canyon...I continued driving...and my first sight of the canyon at the age where I could really appreciate the glory of it all...well, it remains etched in my memory for ever!!!!! But, still I have difficulty describing the inspirational scene that lay before my very eyes.....I was dreaming of the glorious scenery we had passed on the road...the golden [but sparse] aspen trees mingling with the pine...the dry but beautiful meadows...an eagle flying high up in the azure sky. But this view in front of me was more than breathtaking! It was like I couldn't breathe and yet....I couldn't help but say "Oh my God"!!! ----Over, and over..."Oh my God". At the same time...over and over again. Like I was experiencing a rebirth of my own being. Yes, it was humbling and yet so very inspirational. I will never forget the very first glimpse of the wonderful, glory of such a phenomenon. I could've stayed in the car at that very first "pullover"...forever. The shades of orange, blue, gray, purple, red and amber, all against the backdrop of the turquoise laden sky...it sticks with me. And within minutes the shadows and the time passed on to change it all...it was like I felt witnessing a new world being born in front of my very eyes! And, it was all surrounding....for miles!! To the right of me, to the left...in front of me....the scenery all ever-changing.

[this photo is the first 'scenic view pullout' where I first stopped the car]


Posted: July 27th, 2009
6:45 A.M.