my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



For Outdoor Wednesday and Wordful Wednesday a little different scenario from others I've posted...a bit of outdoor economic scenes from the city---

My town is known for the beaches; the Gulf. People flock here during the hot summer months to frolick in the bay waters. Swimming, fishing, boating, camping...even birding. But, there is another part of Corpus Christi that turns out to be a BIG part of the culture and a huge source of income. That is OIL! When you drive from San Antonio Texas to Corpus Christi, using the 145 mile stretch of Interstate 37 [which begins -or ends, depending on 'how you look at it'- just one block north of the Gulf of Mexico here in town], you'll witness a huge area on the left side of the freeway....oil refineries. Gobs and Gobs of them. All of them are about 15 miles outside the hustle/bustle of city traffic and its freeways and interchanges. Just to the outside of the refineries the Nueces River flows into the Gulf...and there is a ship channel cut just between the river banks and all the refineries. This video above, I found and given credit below.


Over a long span of time, I've taken photos along the way and, I've captured these photos to share with you; a little more from the 'great outdoors', to show it's not all beaches and sand and surf. Oil is a big huge part of Texas...




[Video used: from Google Videos] And, if you viewed the 2 minute video, you can see that the refineries are very pretty at night...all aglow!






...and...



Click either button to Join




Posted: July 29th, 2009
7:30 A.M.








24 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing sweetie, love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is interesting. I have never seen pics of the refineries from Corpus Christi though we're Navy and have several friends stationed there.
    Thanks for sharing :D
    Happy WW!
    BTW, it's been a while since I've stopped by; your blog looks great! It's different than last time. I love the clean look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those refineries with the angry clouds... excellent photos! and even then, yours sounds like a good place to put on a vacation list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Anni, Loved the information on the oil rigs in your area. That would be something to see! Maybe this winter we can head down that way and check them out. Thanks for sharing this and you have a GREAT day!

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Emily Dickinson.

    Each time I go to the beach (Naples, FL, I look out over the Gulf of Mexico, and realize it is 800 miles to Corpus Christi.

    I know a couple musicians who live there. Both of them used to play in Cincinnati Symphony with me.

    Gee, I just looked into the mirror...they musy be pratty old by now!

    Thanks for the GREAT "oily" photos, never knew of all the oil business in CC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting look at another aspect of Corpus Christi. Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Annie. History today. Honey, I love, love, love it. I have never seen the refineries there. The only refinery I knew about was Champlin Refinery that used to be in Enid, Oklahoma and when the oil boom went they took it down and moved it somewhere in Texas. Yes Texas. I hated to see it go. It had been there with it's flame all my life. Wonderful post honey, just wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to seeing what you have to say about my post today. Love Ya, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - there are a lot of them. They do look pretty all lit up. Who would have thought that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Dickinson piece above the comment box ;--)

    Interesting to learn more about your home town. I'm participating in Outdoor Wednesday for the first time today at Small Reflections ... sharing 'surfing' images I photographed and collaged with Photoshop Elements over the weekend at the US Open International Championships.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fascinating video. Thanks for sharing. Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice shots and video. I never been to Texas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know that oil is a necessity, but all these industrial sites are so ugly !! The video was very interesting to watch !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni
    I came from a mill town...they are all gone now. Pulp is no longer needed. Oil will always be needed. : (
    I have always wanted to visit Texas and Corpus Christi, now I can see it in a different light thanks to you. I mean in a good way.
    Happy OW
    Love Claudie
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anni - you asked about the oreos for crust. Yes - they get crushed up, frosting and all. You would never know its in there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mari Thanks....I'm gonna try it. Bud loves 'em and I think the chocolately crust would be great with an ice cream pie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ani...how do I get involved with Wordless wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your new header! Just beautiful!
    Thanks for sharing about the oil refineries. That was interesting! Hugs, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  18. I remember when I lived in Houston, going to Corpus and seeing all the oil dereks along the way. I was stunned when I first moved to Houston how many oil refineries there are. It was something else to see. One of the beautiful things about living in Hawai'i is we don't have that to ruin our beautiful ocean views. I know it's a big part of our life and very important to us but I'm glad they aren't here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thom The refineries aren't on the ocean...these are land locked. You're thinnking perhaps oil RIGS...the tower like aparatus in the water? The refineries aren't close to water except for the ships' channel which is about 10-15 miles inland.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your pictures are amazing. I've always wanted to visit Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent photos and excellent economics lesson!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anni,

    Very interesting post. The refineries are pretty at night. Yes, Texas and oil go together like bread and butter.

    Finally posted tonight. Not much going on up here.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you will stop by Dining With Debbie with your favorite Crock Pot Wednesday entry. Misty Linky is up and waiting for you. The first of the giveaways for the inaugural event is posted. diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. A nice change of pace and lovely pictures to boot!

    ReplyDelete

.