“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Wednesday May 20th, 2009
6:10 A.M.


Join -Wordful Wednesday

During our house painting the other day, it was a most beautiful day we've had in a long time. The temperature was perfect, the breeze was gentle, the sky was clear, and the air was crisp. Nearing the end of the day, we stopped to let the 1st coat dry before applying a 2nd coat of paint. And as we did, it was time for a break. We sat down on chair that I put in the shade of the crepe myrtle bushes and we drank a beer and snacked on some Wheat Chex™ Garlic Mix. Overhead, a lone sea gull was soaring, watching us. I decided to throw a few of the Chex™ squares up in the air as he flew over....naturally, being the freeloaders they are, he spotted them and dropped down to grab the tasty treat. Just one lone gull.



Bud and I watched his antics. He'd grab and fly off! Only to return for more. Which of course I obliged him. As we drank, ate, and relaxed some while the paint was drying enough so we could soon apply the 2nd coat, a few more gulls got the word....
[seriously, the sky was void of any other fowl! dunno from where they all came]




Once the bag of snacks was emptied deliberately, and the treats that remained were only minuscule remnants on the driveway, my first buddy only, stood by longest. I think he was a little peeved --and walked off, snubbin' me! Calling me all kinds o' names.



PS...The painting job is complete!! We finished Tuesday afternoon. Personally, I was never more happy to throw the last empty gallon of paint away along with all the well used brushes and the roller pad! Yay. Tomorrow, when I get the photos from the camera uploaded today, I will post the before and after pictures of our 'new' home. It looks kinda spiffy!! I'm thinking of decorating above the front entry door too...make a decorative wreath to greet guests at the door. Either that, with a new wreath, it'll just add a little personal touch to the porch.

34 comments :

  1. I know they're scavengers, but I think gulls are beautiful. :)

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love giving them french fries in the McDonald's parking lot here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I like feeding them fries too, at our little drive-in hamburger shop. It's kind of scary how 100's more show up though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool! It makes me think of the gull scene from Finding Nemo, when they were all calling mine mine mine mine.... :) Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Annie.
    Ahhhh...to be retired...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos. These remind me of back home (Galveston, Texas).

    Happy WW from Sara @ the Mostly Wordless Wednesday H.Q.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shots. I think they are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, I have to agree with Sara! Looks like a day at the beach in Texas!

    Cool pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it - they definitely have a system of communucation! Hope they didn't leave you any tips on the drivway.

    Anxiouu to see before and afters - good for you guys!

    Pecking one handed and slowly today - why is on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW that is a ton of birds.. :) And that last picture of your buddy walking away is just hysterical because I am imagining him being all pissy about it..hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love gulls. and i hardly ever see them... guess i have to move closer to the ocean, heee heee heee. looking forward to the house pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anni,

    I have never seen gulls that color before. Ours are mainly white...sometimes with a bit of brown or gray. These are quite different and yes, they will go anywhere there is food. The photos are great. Gives me a real peek into your world.

    I'm so glad you and Bud have the painting finished. Now you can relax and enjoy the rest of the summer. It's a big job. Looking forward to the photos.

    Have a wonderful day and take time to relax.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am looking forward to the photos.
    Sea Gulls are so funny. It's amazing how they all know when one of them has something good to eat and they all want in on it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a perfect day!! Congratulations on completing the task.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this post made me like gulls :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pictures are amazing. I'm also going to add a congratulations on a job well done. Can't wait to see the newly painted house.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think they are very pretty. I always love seeing them at the sea shore! I can't wait to see your house. I am sure it will look wonderful with the paint. I see you love books. I just finished Water for Elephants. Have you read that? I thought it was AMAZING and I highly recommend! Hope your day is splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What good pics! I think you are right he was a little upset with you. How dare you feed the others! It is amazing we had only a couple of birds around and then we put up a bird feeder and I think we have every species in the USA here at our house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You caught some good pics there. They sure are a dime a dozen in some places aren't they?????? lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. How funny!!! I really liked the part where the bird seemed all ticked off.

    Painting a house is a lot of work. I am sure you are glad you are done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the comment for the last picture. Thank you for sharing...I left s little something for you on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job capturing the essence of your day in words! Just like painting, which starts with one stroke, and then soon there are plenty of strokes painting the place a new color, a new energy, the gulls in your picture are a great analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    I love the story and the pics! But I must say, I'm not a big fan of birds, so the idea of them flocking to you is somewhat terrifying :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful! TFS and for coming by today!

    ReplyDelete
  25. we get them a lot at the beach in NJ...they will steal the french fries right out of your hand! Great shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. How funny, at first when all the birds came I thought, "Oh, he went and got his buddies!" Then I really chuckled when I saw the last picture of him walking away by himself all pissed off because sharing was exactly what he did NOT have in mind apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  27. as a land locked new yorker, enjoying the pics of the gulls! happy ww!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! It sure looked like a scene out of "The Birds"...ahhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Anni, Congratulations to you and Bud for finishing the painting. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos.

    As for the seagulls, don't you know they have their own special kind of ESP and they can teletransport themselves...just like in Star Trek...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Alot of birds, not alot of poop! That's good!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am not a fan of seagulls! Back when I lived in the FL Keys they would swarm you for whatever little treat they could manage to get. And then when there was nothing left, they'd yell at you! Ungrateful rascals! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey! You're just like Mary Poppins, except with seagulls instead of pigeons!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Those are some pretty sea gulls. Ours don't have the black face. :)

    ReplyDelete

.