“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Wednesday May 13th, 2009
6:10 A.M.


Join -Wordful Wednesday

Today, it's a little fun. A game so to speak. I have a photo here that has been cropped in my paint program....from a photo taken yesterday. It's just a small section taken from the original photo. Now, the game part is:
    Can you guess just what it is? Put your guess [no matter how difficult it seems...your guess is worth a 1000 words as the photo is] in the comment section. Tomorrow, Thursday, I will reveal the original photo. Just see how close/accurate you can be with your guessing. Ahhhhhh, come on. Don't be a party pooper...guess!!!


Here is the cropped photo:



Hint: Backyard nature.


- - -

An update on the eye glasses. What a fiasco. I got my new frames, got the lenses put in at the lens lab. Got out in the car and started driving with them. Lordy!!! It was like I was swimming. The motion of the car and having my driving glasses on...I couldn't see diddly squat clear. I thought it was the bifocals. You see, I've tried having bifocals before, and after a couple of weeks, took them back and had just the 'distance' single lens. I know/knew I needed to have bifocals this time, come hell or high water. I couldn't do without since I have trouble reading books these days. And yet, I need distance correction when driving. My driver's license tells me that. For years actually. Okay...so, I take the new glasses off --- I could see better without...and drove home. Once I get home, I put them back on and do some testing. Outdoors, I checked the distance vision. Not bad. Once I was not in the moving car. I could see quite clearly. Then, I turned my head to test that....swimming again. Dizzy, nauseated. I went back indoors and tested the reading lenses in the bifocal. It was like everything had gone topsy turvy. The flat screen monitor was now pasted at an angle against the wall...and the print was even smaller than without corrective lenses.

I knew it was all wrong. The Rx was wrong...or the lab had did the axis of the lens incorrectly. I then got on the phone and called the lab...they double checked. Everything was done right. By then, I was getting a little perturbed. I called the optometrist and told them I wanted to have my vision checked again. I took with me my old glasses and the new. I drove there with the old lenses. They took me in right away with no waiting when I arrived. I went through another exam and the optometrist readjusted the prescription. She said the 1st Rx was way too strong. Well, ya....y'think? I have to go pick up the readjusted lenses in the new frames this afternoon.

Oh, and I didn't go for purple frames. But, I DID try some on...along with testing some red/silver frames...even pink frames. All brightly colored frames made me look well.....icky! I went with a very muted larger frame. They're basically beige, but with fleck/stripes of color....but the color is minuscule. What a fiasco that day was. LOL

18 comments :

  1. I have no clue, but will take a guess. A mushroom??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. My niece used to do a picture guess like that every week - I never could get it! That is really hard. I'm going to poop this party, I guess!

    The glasses fiasco - there is nothing worse than feeling like you're going to throw up when you move your head with new glasses! I hope this one is right. Amazing how they can mess up something so important! It's hard for me to pick out frames, because I can't see well enough without my glasses to see how I look any more - so sad. What's really sad is when I'm getting ready in the morning and I think I look pretty good - well, pretty okay. Then I put on my glasses and the truth hits me square in the eye. EEEK!

    It's a gorgeous morning - we had 86 degrees yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think it's the side of a flower pot. Good guess? Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hootin' Annie!
    Cool photo- don't know what it is- you got me :)

    Don't even get me going on the eyeglasses fiasco thing! I'm livin' my own nightmare! Middle age can stink sometimes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like the back of a wooden bench to me... and wood IS nature, right?? :)
    So sorry about your glasses, your story reminded me of the time when the optometrist goofed up the prescription. Left eye instead of right eye, same for the other side...of course I never went back to him!! my insurance took care of the "bad" glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Picking new frames is perplexing, isn't it? Wouldn't it be nice to have different ones for different moods? Of course, for some of us, that might mean MANY pairs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got me stumped Anni! Great shot though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, my guess would be, part of a leaf that has gone brown and started to curl.

    Sorry to hear the bother you are having with the glasses fiasco. Last year I opted to agree to both cataracts done, now I only need glasses for the smallest print, where before if I didn't have a pair for reading and a pair for distance ( which eventually went to bifocals) I was stumped. What a relief it is now, I feel liberated.

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  9. backyard nature guess is the back of a really great lounge chair sitting on that wonderful patio of yours

    As for the glasses -- as I read your tale I thought you might have gotten what I did the progressive lenses. Ones that are bifocal with out lines -- When I first got them they made me swimmy too especially in the car. It took about 3 days to get totally used to them. Now I wouldn't trade them for the world. I hope the new prescription works better though. Wonder out that made that mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a bummer about those glasses! As for the picture? I can't even come up with a guess!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's either the rim of a terra cotta pot or a railing. Pretty good, huh?
    Anni, I have no idea, but you made me laugh again. Sorry about the glasses fiasco.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Geez what a nightmare with your glasses and then driving ! could have been dangerous. Fortunately I never had this experience. I used to have bifocals but now I only have for TV and car. For reading I have to take my glasses off, my sight improved with the age at least something which improved, lol !
    For the picture, a brown rolled up leave ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like the frames! and the very same thing happened to hubby with his last pair, prescription all wrong...

    and the pic, i think its the 'handle' of a guitar???

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm gonna guess wooden fence. This is a real stumper to me.

    Dang...no purple frames? LOL. I could just picture (pardon the pun) all that you had to go thru with those new glasses. Two things stand out to me: I cracked up when you said your drivers license told you you need glasses...didn't your eyes tell ya that? LOL. Sorry I just had to ask. The other thing is that your Optometrist took you right in. Can ya give me the name? I want a Dr. that doesn't make you sit for hours on end before they take you in. I hope you will take a pic of the new frames? Ever thought about Green perhaps? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni,

    I have no idea what it is but will guess the wooden ledge of a bird feeder or bird house.

    When you first described your experience in the car, I suspected the lenses were too strong. I couldn't stand the transition lenses, so now have regular bifocals. They work well for me. But what a mess. Why can't anyone do anything right anymore? LOL

    Hope you're enjoying your day.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no idea! I first I thought it might be part of an ear of corn. Then I read the hint and I don't know if you have a garden

    I hate getting new glasses I have had the same frames since 1998! But new lenes with bifocals and it is always hard to get used new bifocals!
    Sorry the day was so hard!! Love and hugs Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm getting my eyes tested next week for new glasses. Now I will worry about that.
    Could that be a plant stem.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! Thanks so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

.