“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Monday, May 25th, 2009
12:20 A.M.



So. Yesterday, it was Sunday. We had kinda a quiet day all together. We had to go get kitty litter [we forgot to get it days ago when we should have] and ended up at Lowes. Walking around the flowers and plants in their outdoor garden shop. Oh, I tellya, that is something that I should be banned from entering. I could always pick out something to take home.

You see, I have this small, tiny area in the back yard that has the bird bath, the pelican statue and a couple of small palms that I've wanted boxed in and landscaped with cedar chips for a couple of years now. Just about every time I'm out and Bud is outside too, I try to bring up the fact, or perhaps trying my wiles and having him suggest what he thinks would look best around the area. You know, give him a chance to be macho or give him a feeling of being helpful. When, I know darned good and well, I'll buy the stuff I WANT and have him do the labor. roflmao.

Well, there is a corner in our yard that has landscape timbers with a huge oriental vase and some elephants among some vines. And one of the rose gardens is boxed in with landscaping timbers. While at Lowes, I happen to walk by the timbers. Aha!!! My chance!!! So I go get a lumber cart and begin to load 4 on.

Got 'em. Then went and got some red cedar chips for putting around the bird bath pedestal and the ducks and the pelican and the palm trees. Get 'em home. Bud, well, he knew he was hornswaggled! So he pouted for hours. Ignored me. Ha!!! I knew eventually he'd come around. That is, if he wanted me to cook for him....

I'm sure that is what we have on our list of honey do today. We'll be outside, boxing it all in.

In the meantime, I thought I'd send along some flowers from our yard again....


Two roses:



A hibiscus just opening in the early a.m.
and a full blossom of a gardenia





<><><>


Seems like I've waited forever to hear Susan Boyle, of Britain's Got Talent fame, since her April 2009 appearance where she wowed the world with her remarkable voice, singing from Les Miserable's...the song I Dreamed a Dream.


Well she finally made her 2nd appearance. And once again, she dazzled everyone's emotions, stirred something in me that I haven't felt for decades. This woman has TALENT!!!

Here's her May 2009 song...Memory, from Cats.
[If only I had HALF her talent, I'd be a millionaire....wow]





<><><>


Today is America's Memorial Day. For me, it's lost its appeal altogether. The meaning and purpose of the day has changed so over the decades that the day has just become another holiday where workers 'get a day off from their job'...and today and throughout history, it's for those who died for our country which is not what it was meant to be for our family. That day, remembering war heroes and those that served specifically, is Veteran's Day in November. Memorial Day in May is a day to remember and pay respect for those loved ones --more than likely family members like parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.[or WAS when I was a kid]. Yes, that's what Memorial Day was for us. To go to a cemetery and place flowers on their graves/grave markers. I remember how we'd go around the countryside and do just that. My parents would have a trunkful of wreaths and go from cemetery to cemetery and spend time in silence with those that no longer exist in the living world. What happened to that day? Long gone for me.

All people can think about is picnics, time off from work, BBQs, etc. What happened to the familia respect? I no longer observe the day as it is supposed to be observed in today's times...it's not what it was when I was young... because the meaning has been lost; what it was originally. I see so very few these days actually observing and paying respect. Other than what is televised for us. Sad, but true. I pay tribute to our soldiers in arms and those that lost their lives, and are still living and serving to protect us; on Veteran's Day. Memorial Day I remember those of my family that are no longer with me. It's just somehow so very different. It's all changed over the last 50 years, and I have no disrespect for what they've done with the holiday, still...it's not what Memorial Day was in my youth. Memorial Day equaled family loss...Veteran's Day was remembrance for those who served our country.

I know that after the Civil War it was declared to be a day of respect and remembering those who died...but that was not the case in our family. It's just all a personal thing, mind you.


Fun Monday resumes the Monday after Memorial Day holiday.

19 comments :

  1. I have to take a guess at what 'hornswaggled' means, it isn't in my dictionary, but it sounds a great word!!!
    Yes, I too was waiting to see Susan Boyle, I am so glad she got through to the final, but I felt sorry for the little girl, who I think had her hopes raised too high, and then was so sad she didn't win, a hard lesson in life.
    Tonight is the final.
    Thanks for posting the video.
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Susan Boyle is one great singer!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to hear Susan sing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Granny 'hornswaggled' is American slang for cheated, tricked or maybe, conned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful roses! Loved that video of Susan Boyle!! She is sooo very talented. You've got a nice blog. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love wandering through those aisles too. This was another great performance from Susan Boyle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such beautiful flowers. I look forward to seeing them all planted and the area perfected your way. lol Susan Boyle is such a talent. Just lovely. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni,

    I love your blossoms and am glad you got the timbers. I know what that's like. I've been trying to get my front and one side bed re-edged. The railroad ties that were there when we moved in have rotted and they need to be done badly. I'm looking forward to photos.

    I understand what you're saying about Memorial Day. We have Remembrance Day here in November as well. When we were young, you didn't get the day off school. Instead you had a service within the school. Then they changed it to a holiday and every student was to go to the cenotaph for the service, but many didn't, so they took the holdiay away and now the boys have to attend an assembly.

    Remembering the fallen and deployed soldiers this day and my ancestors who fought. Yes, it is a personal thing.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS.
    Susan Boyle is absolutely magnificent. Thanks for posting that. I've been wondering what she's doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni, thanks for sharing the video with us. You have a good day now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had not seen the video of Susan Boyle's second appearance on the show. What an amazing voice she has and she deserves every minute of fame that she is getting! Thanks for posting it!

    I knew exactly what hornswaggled means! lol! Have done it a few times myself! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. both Veteran's day, and Memorial day are days of rememberance for service for me, hasn't always been, maybe just one of those gifts that come with age:)

    You must show your new improvements in the garden corner (see the faith I have in Bud? Or is it your womenly wiles-lol:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I posted her video on my other blog. I hope she does well. I to think along your lines about Memorial Day as well. Happy Memorial Day I must say however :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. jettied5/25/2009

    I am banned from Lowes....I spend way way to much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My hubby hates when I have gone to lowes!!
    And i have to say today is an especially sad day. A Lady that we lived by as we were growing up ,went to school with her kids and years later babysat our first child.Her wake is this evening and her funeral tomorrow. Our Daughter is coming with Me. Was torn as to what to do on that. But felt that she too loved her so and maybe needs to go. I hate crying in front of my children and hope it is not to hard on her. I too feel that we have lost the sense of what today is.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your flowers!!!!
    That's what I learned about Memorial Day when I first went to the US (back in 1974...my senior year in HS), good thing some people still remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I grew up on Army bases. On Memorial Day everyone went to the cemetery and placed wreaths and flowers on the graves of family and strangers.

    I don't believe that is even done on military bases anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Susan's comment after Simon apologized - "I know nothing!" Classy.

    Memorial Day is what you remember for DC's family. Our cemeteries are just full of flowers, and a flag on every vet's grave.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Hornswaggled"...what a lovely word. I guess it means you outsmarted Bud...well done, you! Heehee.

    We have Remembrance Day on 11 November...11th hour, 11th day, 11 month...to remember our Service men and women. Then Australia and New Zealand have ANZAC Day to remember those who fell at Gallipoli in Turkey in WW1. It's thrilling to see so many young ones marching each year, and young ones lining the street, going to the Anzac Day services, held at 4 am which denotes the time the first landings occurred. That is always a day that brings me sadness and sorrow. Not because any of my family died there (my grandfather survived Gallipoli and died 7 years later in an industrial accident at work), it's just the awfulness and futility of that whole exercise all those years ago and so many young men died needlessly as cannon fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  19. DEAR ANNI,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR MEMORIAL DAY POST....I REMEMBER GOING WITH GRANDMA AND MOTHER WITH A TRUNK FULL OF WREATHS AND RIBBONS AND CUTTING SHEARS TO CUT GRASS ALL AROUND THE TOMBSTONE AND I POSTED A PICTURE OF DADDY AT HIS MOTHER'S GRAVE SIDE AND I ALMOST TOOK IT OFF THINKING I WAS WRONG ABOUT WHAT MEMORIAL DAY WAS......I FORGOT TO CHANGE THE DATE ON MY CAMERA BUT I LOVE THE MILITARY AND WHAT THEY HAVE DONE FOR US BUT IT SEEMED LIKE YOU SAID....THERE IS NOT A DAY OF REMEMBRANCE FOR OUR FAMILY.
    BLESSINGS TO YOU
    hugs
    debbie

    ReplyDelete

.