“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Monday, April 6th, 2009
12:45 A.M.




Patience is hosting this week. Her challenge is all about Summer Vacations. We're to blog about what our plans are for this summer, OR, if we're not making plans, then we're to write about another vacation....
    My fun topic will be (drum roll please)
    How I'll Spend My Summer Vacation!



Below, I scanned a few photos from when we flew into Washington, D. C. and then rented a car and drove around some of the Civil War battlefields in Virginia and Gettysburg, PA. But now....

I don't travel on 'vacation' trips these days. I'm on a permanent vacation from the every day grind of employment, schedules, commuting. It's called retirement. I LIKE being a homebody. And Bud and I don't really like to travel long distances anymore. I remember the days when we had little kids, taking trips with them and how we both had to entertain them from boredom and still keep an itinerary of the vacation itself, including things that we thought they'd enjoy along with sights we wanted to see. The hassle of going through the airport security these days is not my idea of a good time. Especially the thought that you may be stranded in an airport because of bankruptcies, etc. The last trip we took a couple of years ago was to Old Mexico on Mexicana Airlines. And we had an all inclusive package. We were coming back from visiting some ruins that one day, and the convoy of military vehicles with the soldiers and their m-16 rifles, in the vast desert land of the country, wasn't all that pleasant. So, when we do go somewhere these days, it's within the boundaries of OUR country and more than likely just a day trip somewhere where we can enjoy the views, the ocean, the quaint Texas towns. We've seen just about each and every state in the union already [including Hawai'i] when we used to take two, two week vacations a year. Our vacation now is our lifetime. Ten years plus of having no itineraries, no hassle of getting tickets for this vacation, and that vacation...no hotel reservations, working with travel agents, etc. Now, it's just taking off for a day or two and enjoying a new part of Texas. There are, in fact, thousands of square miles to see. 266,853 sq miles!!! But to go with the theme this week, I thought I'd share a few photos of one of the many trips to see some Civil War sights....

TRIP TO GETTYSBURG, Pa. -ANTIETAM BATTLEFIELD, Va.
[all images cursor-caption --use mouseover for description]







NOTE: Zouave was the title given to certain infantry regiments in the French army, normally serving in French North Africa between 1831 and 1962. The name was also adopted during the 19th century by units in other armies, especially volunteer regiments raised for service in the American Civil War.

24 comments :

  1. You are like Mr. Gattino. He doesn't want to travel anymore too. Only to Italy because of family and friends. But I still have the travel fever, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Anni! Your first sentences - about being free from the daily grind of work and commuting and schedules - sum up exactly what I hope for when I retire. *sigh* Great pics and story, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Mornin' Anni,
    I enjoyed seeing the pictures of yoru trip. "THANK YOU" For sharing them with us. I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to travel far anymore. These days, it's almost too dangerous to be going out of the country. I'm like you, I HAD RATHER JUST STAY HERE IN THE U.S. ADN TAKE A DAY TRIP. Nothing beats sleeping in your own bed either. LOl. I'll be glad when me and hubby can retire adn not have any schedules anymoe either. Even tho I stay home, I work at home. Alot of folks think being a Stay-at-home-mom is just a fun thing to do. It's actually the hardest job there is and the lowest paid job as well. LOl. I wouldnt' have it any other way tho. Take care my friend and have a great Monday. MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS.
    Love,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anni,
    I grabbed the Easter button Gift and put it on my Sidebar. "THANK YOU" so very much for it.
    Love,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen You're welcome, I'm glad you liked the little Easter Gift to you.

    And, yes!!!!! Oh yes....I so agree with you on that statement. Being a Stay at home parent IS indeed the toughest job on earth!!!! You're so right on that. And being that your hubby and mine did a lot of travel with their jobs, staying at home after retiring is something you look forward to. And you're right about nothing like your own bed!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean about wanting to stick close to home these days. I normally do not travel outside of my 10 mile radius. Hee Hee. Vacation is another story. We usually drive to our destinations -FL, GA, MD. I love your pics of Gettysburg. We live so close to Gettysburg and Washington that we take them for granted. We do go to Gettysburg pretty often, but mostly to go to the outlets! Perhaps one day we will travel to Texas and to more states out West.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and you're fortunate enough to go whenever you want to, without that dreaded school holiday calendar in mind. see, perks everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am lucky enough to live very near those battlefields. They are fun to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,

    Enjoyed your baseball post. I've looked into taking Brandon to see some games here in town. Though it isn't the big leagues, he will enjoy it and it's only $5.00 each. We can root and cheer for the home team without putting out big bucks.

    Oh, I so want to visit Gettysburg. We drove right passed it on our way home from Florida, but it was pouring rain, so we didn't stop. We had also planned to stop in DC, but that too was cancelled because of the rain. One day we will go again, hopefully.

    It is to rain here all day today and tomorrow. The plumber called this morning to change our sewer work until Thursday. I'm crossing my fingers for good weather. The job needs to be done.

    Have a great week, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah for baseball!
    What do you think about the Craig Biggio-turned-HS-baseball-coach thing? I think it's awesome that he wants to coach his kid. What an experience for those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hubby doesn't really care to go beyond Europe, but I admit I still have the urge to see more of the world before I get too old to travel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. we havent even started the process of family vacations really. but i agree being a homebody isn't bad!its hard to enjoy your home when you work so hard for it..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Once again, some spectacular photos, Anni. It's always nice to come and visit here. I learn something new every time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I live in hope that one day my retirement will be what it's supposed to be. But until then, DC and I hope to make it to Hawaii more than once every ten years. But you're right about the airport routine. Mexico is not a place I have much desire to visit.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes indeed! It's heeeeeeere! Baseball is BACK! Best of luck to all your teams this year Anni!

    I can't imagine not LIKING to travel! I dunno... maybe it's because I've actually gotten to do so LITTLE of it, that I just hunger for it! I do find more and more though, that I would rather drive than fly! Partly the claustrophobia I think -- but partly driving is just more comfortable all around. And you get to SEE more! I would still fly to go great great distances -- although I don't know how I would stand it! (drugs probly!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoever invented retirement deserves a big feather in the cap, right! Every day I'm grateful to have been able to retire. And you're right there's so much we haven't experienced of what's right around us.

    You're so smart with the way you can manipulate your blog. Loved the way you arranged the photos side by side with mouseover. Two years into blogging and it's my goal to get better with all this.

    I still have an itch to see the world, but home is wonderful to come back to after a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use to watch baseball all the time (cheering for the Toronto Blue Jays) but stopped watching many years ago when the whole team got an overhaul and most of my beloved players were traded! I just couldn't get into the game after that. I do remember the excitement of watching it though:-)

    I love traveling but like you, I much prefer to stay within my country...well unless it's to cross into Niagara Falls, NY but we never go more than 30 miles in! lol I'm not even interested in going to other countries, mostly because of all the uncertainties there are everywhere. You hear so many horror stories so yup, I'll stay around here where I feel safe. Loved seeing your pictures from your trips to see Civil War sights, I've always enjoyed visiting places like these. So much history!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everyday is a holiday for you, right? That's a very nice way to look at it!
    I'm hoping to see a little bit of the world in the next couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We don't travel any more either. My health doesn't allow for it.
    Every time your team signs a player that player gets more and the cost of the tickets goes up a little. Who knows when it will end.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Today was supposed to be opening day for the Chicago White Sox but they canceled it because of the cold weather that was predicted. I think the Cubs are playing tonight. My dh is a Cubs fan but I root for both teams because my older brother LOVES the White Sox.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmm... retirement - the ultimate vacation! I've got a few years before I get there, so I have to content myself with a few days here and there until then!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Anni,
    I have been away from Fun Monday, but I am back this week even though I am late. I am glad that mentioned Gettysburg. My husband and I should add that to our Philadelphia trip.

    I always love visiting your blog. It is so cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I so enjoyed your photos...and well, for sometime, I had that feeling of being too tired to travel...at an early age...I guess bec I started traveling young...but I'm back on it now! LOL

    ReplyDelete

.