“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Tuesday, April 28th, 2009
5:15 A.M.

Join Here


"Down On The Farm"


eeeeeigh, eeeeigh, oh!

And on this farm............

My grandparents were farmers. Does that surprise you? In Nebraska? What else is there to do in that state? If you're not associated with the Nebraska Cornhuskers [college] then, you're farmers. [kidding!] Anyway, they had a gazillion kids. I had aunts and uncles galore. All were birthed to help around the farm. My maternal grandparents had a section of land on both sides of the country road...that's equal to 1280 acres. On one side of the road there were fields of corn. On the other side...where the house, barn, chicken coop, windmill, creamery house, a smoke house, and wood shed, the land was fenced in and cattle was raised. There was also a pig pen for their own consumption [what I mean is, the hogs were raised for pork...not for marketing/selling as the cattle was]. They raised chickens for eggs and poultry. They had sheep for butchering. A goat or two [I was not much on watching the goats...they eat everything!!! including the dress right off your back if you're a little girl and happened to be near them, but on the other hand, I ♥ goats' eyes!]...and they had a few geese. Oh and horses....work horses!! What we called draft horses. Big ones...like Percherons. I remember the one I used to get to sit on with my father....a huge dappled gray. It was so pretty. Of course, I was way too young to ride one by myself...it was always with a grown up. And they [the horses] were never saddled; rode bareback or they were hitched to a plow or a wagon.

Above, I mentioned the creamery? Well, by the time I was born, my parents [once farmers themselves] were now living in the 'city'...city life. And I was raised on homogenized milk. And I remember tasting milk straight from the creamery [where the milk is run through a separator to extract the cream from the milk, straight from the cow...still warm] at my grandfather's home.....oh, gag city. And the ham from the smoke house? Again, raised on 'store bought' foods....I liked the ham that had water added....NOT the home cured, smoked, dry ham. It was like eating salty, worked leather. Spoil't I was!!!! ......but, dahling just gimme Park Avenue. Well, at least a local grocery store where the food is already prepared like what I'm used to consuming. But hey...wait....I still love home grown veggies. Can't beat that, but the home cured meats? Nope. I like the additives. LOLOLOL

On the other hand, my paternal grandparents [photo on sidebar] were pioneers in their own right. Stories I could tell you about my grandfather, when a young lad --in the early 1880s, traveled across the great plains from the Canadian border to southern Nebraska in a covered wagon. [He owned a butcher shop once settled]. But how he loved to tell the story. And my grandmother's NYC upbringing, only to end up on a prairie, teaching school....what a tale of strength for both g-parents. When I think about it all now, it was like Little House on the Prairie...with my maternal/paternal sides...getting together, the Olesons and the Ingalls family-all wrapped into my family. I love the history of a family's genealogy. We have preachers, teachers, dressmakers, civil servants, military heroes, entrepreneurs, government workers, etc, etc, etc. But what I always remember from early childhood most was the family spending time.....




DOWN ON THE FARM.

22 comments :

  1. This was such an awesome post sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything you wrote here can be summed up by looking at the picture of the farmhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful picture of their farm house! That was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great memories! Thank you for sharing them, and I too just love that photo of your grandparents farmhouse :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great memoir. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos and memories. My grandparents were both on farms in Minnesota. My brother loved every aspect. I loved visiting them, but didn't get into the farm stuff at all. I do remember going to the creamery with Grandpa and watching him deliver the cans of new milk - and watching him throw the round white disks to the cats - can't remember what they were called, some sort of filter, I think. I also remember not enjoying that warm milk! Maybe that's why I don't really like milk to this day. Mom never drank milk, ever.

    I love the old pictures of our ancestors. Wow, New York to a farm in Nebraska - talk about culture shock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your sense of family history. Your pictures are a real treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA, I sure OWE you BIG TIME. First, for this blog, which--if I were a good writer--I could have written VER-BATIM! (Except for a few changes in gender, etc., otherwise EVERYthing
    Grandparents, farm, cattle, pigs, corn, goats, work horses (Pete amd Jerry--and others) EVERYTHING! It was an exciting trip back for me.

    Secondly, through SHADOW, I'm having fun with your researched discovery of the "morse code" site. I learned Morse Code when a Boy Scout in early 40's during WWII
    ...and talk about MORE mrmories...! Darlin' you have MADE MY DAY!

    I've gotta get your address or something, and make you a "favorite person" (sounds like "Favored Nation"!) on my blogroll!

    Thank you Sooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How wonderful that you got to experience some fun times at your grandparents' farm. Both my parents lived on farms while growing up but by the time I was born, my dad's parents were dead and so the farm had been sold and my mom's parents had sold the farm and moved to a house near the lake. So, I never did get to experience a farm at all! Not sure I'd want to taste milk straight from the cow, anyway! LOL

    My mom often tells me stories from life on the farm and I so enjoy them. She was one of 15 children and she says the younger ones were pretty much raised by the older girls while their parents were out in the field with the boys. Wonderful post my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting relative on the farm was always a wonderful experience for me too. I was born on the farm but moved to the city when young, so I thought going to the farm was a real adventure. Your post was great fun to read. I'm sure you have wonderful family memories that are such fun to recall. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni,

    This took me back in time. What a wonderful tribute to your grandparents and the farm.

    I remember that spit dry ham out of the smokehouse. LOL But Grandma had her ways of fixin' it so that it tasted perfectly fine. Maybe it was just that whatever Grandma cooked was okay by me.

    Did your grandparents sell their fare at the Farmer's Market. Mine did. Each Saturday they stood on the market to sell their meat and produce. Slaughter time was a busy time in the fall.

    Loved this post and the photos are awesome. Thanks for the trip down Memory Lane.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading your post, you city gal. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post. My great grandparents and grandparents farmed in Kansas. Life was surely different in those days. Enjoyed reading this...

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great memories you have. My Grand parents had a farm and raised 4 boys on it. This farm is still in the family with a cousin of mine living in the farm house and farming the ground.

    Love and Hugs,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Anni, that sure did take a lot of guts, but look how you moved too.
    You have a great looking house.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Re your comment - I am quite sure this Chick Fil A is not like this other nights of the week. But the one at the mall is always very busy, too.

    I put 3 more pictures up that I just took - see if you've ever seen this kind of tulip before.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loved your post and seeing the farmhouse!! what wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are painting our home this summer.. I am so excited about that.. It is red brick and we are painting it olive tan... something like that....... with black country shutters...... Oh so pretty... I will take a picture....... All my plants around the house will be yellow and purple....... I will come back more often girl..... I have been a bit slow in the blog land lately........

    have a blessed week....

    ReplyDelete
  19. thank YOU dear anni, that's the most fun i've had in a long time...

    ReplyDelete
  20. My father came from Iowa and his family was all in Iowa, Nebraska and South Dakota. I have a couple of photos of my father and his sisters on their grandparents' farm. I wish I had been able to know them. My father was more or less pushed out of the home during the Depression and never really found much about it that he could call "home".
    http://public.fotki.com/Mudhooks/my_stuff/family_history_and/houchinscomer/100_0016.html
    http://public.fotki.com/Mudhooks/my_stuff/family_history_and/houchinscomer/100_0014.html


    I have tagged you in a meme.
    http://mudpuddle.wordpress.com/2009/04/29/8-things-meme/

    ReplyDelete
  21. What great memories and stories you must have I am envious of anyone who got to know their grandparents. Great pics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed this post! My family has always loved the Ingalls family! Monday nights when 8 o'clock came, everyone was showered and in PJ's and in front of the family room TV for Little House on the Prairie!!! Nothing can compare to those days! Those people did work hard, no doubt about that, but they had such a loving family life at the end of the day...Pa playing his fiddle, Ma sewing, and the kids doing their homework by the oil lantern...sounds absolutely delightful to me!!!

    LOVED THIS POST, ANNI!!!

    ((( HUGS )))

    ReplyDelete

.