my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Wednesday, February 4th, 2009
3:51 A.M.



Join -Wordful Wednesday


THE NIÑA, THE PIÑA, & THE SANTA MARIA....

In our city, we have all three ships! They are exact size replicas of the infamous three ships of Christopher Columbus's fleet that sailed in 1492 to 'discover' America. Two of the ships are permanently 'dry docked' at the Science Museum and you can, with the admission ticket, tour Piñta inside the hull and walk around the darkened and cramped areas...getting the eerie feeling of what it was like on the sea's rough waters back then...searching for land. It's a creepy experience. Several times I could almost feel the water lapping up the starboard side while envisioning the sea sickness and the smells of so many different sensations...vomit I'm sure...stench of human waste, rotting food, the salt air, bodily odors, smoke, things like that. The thing that really 'bloggled' my mind was the smallness of it all on the vast sea...at times, lost and alone tho there was a crew...a feeling of emptiness and death. I don't know how they did such a thing.
    The ships are reproductions built by Spain to commemorate the 500th anniversary of Christopher Columbus' voyages to the New World. They took five years to build and cost $6.5 million. The three ships embarked on a tour of the Mediterranean and Atlantic ports of Europe in 1990 and 1991. After a successful tour of 18 United States ports, they arrived at their permanent home in Corpus Christi in 1993. The Piñta and Santa Maria are located at the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History. There are no guided tours of the Niña, moored at the Corpus Christi Marina, but can be viewed from the dock. The Piñta and Santa Maria were moved to the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History after a runaway barge serverly damaged both of them. The Santa Maria is in such bad shape that you may no longer board her.


Anyway, at the "T Head" near the yacht club [where the shrimp boats come in for the day's sale to the public] and the seaside restaurants, and personal, private yachts...the lone replica of the Niña floats as it's docked at the water's edge. Tied permanently. At times, I think it's an eyesore, then the historical value comes to mind even tho it's not the original...it can still give a sense of the history of the country in a way that perhaps it's a good thing...tho still it seems out of place where it is.

Recently, with a proposal of the Consulate of Spain, there is speculation of repairing the replica of the Niña. Spain's consulate is floating a proposal to restore a replica of the Christopher Columbus ship which, along with replicas of the Piñta and Santa Maria, have been docked since 1993 in Corpus Christi.

Below, I have four photos of the ship moored near the yacht club. 1] the full view from across the street, -Bud is reading the marker at the main mast --to show you the depth of the ship, comparing his size to the ship itself, 2] the bow, 3] the historical marker, 4] and the stern....









43 comments :

  1. very creative e's and f's....

    and the nina, pinta, santa maria.... i (well, the bean actually) wrote exams about him at the end of last year, heee heee heee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I totally love that E :D!!
    Lovely finds!

    Regarding the ships, I thought for a second you were in Kuwait.
    It looked like a huge ship they have on display there. Palm trees and all. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! That's like being a part of hisotry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love boat pictures. Thanks for sharing. I hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very creative finding of the letters. It makes you look at the world around you in a different way, doesn't it?

    Thanks for the story of the ship. I can't even imagine being on that little vessel for such a long voyage. When I read the Immigrant series, about the Swedes coming here for a better life, it was so descriptive of the smells, etc. I need to read those again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its always so interesting to see how things were before and put things in perspective of history

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to walk around in the ships. I am totally putting Corpus Christi on my places to visit list. It looks totally fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mr. Gattino would make somersaults if he could see these ships ! Everything concerning his compatriot Columbus is interesting him and he gets VERY angry when somebody dares to say that Columbus was spanish, lol !
    Your letter findings are nice too !

    ReplyDelete
  9. You must post the night before or pretty early in the morning! I just got mine up -- come on over if you can.

    Those are great -- I don't think I would have noticed the E in the hand rake on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that alphabet challenge is cool.

    it is amazing to think of what all those explorers, pilgrims, and really, really, really old people had to go through. i am not so sure i would have survived.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent share on the 3 ships! We have a similar ship (for touring) in Baltimore Harbor - and like you, when I went through I could just hear the sounds - but mostly smell the smells -- and with my CLAUSTROPHOBIA it was NOT good! LOL! I made it though...

    LOVE your E! That is a fabulous E! And a fortunate find on the F! F was a bugger! WELL DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son would think exploring that ship would be awesome.

    I came by to say hi after reading your comment about the public bathroom. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to take a peek inside those ships!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so awesome. Our science center has a submarine, but I won't go inside it, because I don't like being in such small spaces. ick lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow thanks for that awesome trip into the past. I love our history and seeing life in past perspectives. We looked around here for "boot hill" but I guess the only one around today is in Dodge City. Daddy says every town had a boot hill, because cowboys were buried with their boots on. But Wichita has since lost it's original cemetery. I have yet to find it at least. It's funny to ask about though. When people realize you wouldn't have taken a persons body on a 3 day hike just to bury it back in the old days.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these! How clever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went Ah! when I saw the hand raking tool. So obvious when you see someone else find something.
    I totally saw the F without your drawing. Great finds.
    Loved the info on the boats. I've toured three in Jamestown when I took students there. Amazing at how small the space is and yet many lived and survived the distance. Some back and forth more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow..how amazing! I would love to tour on those boats!!! What a great history lesson for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved the history lesson... they are really gorgeous pieces of work...

    and I adore the alphabet challenge...

    sooooo clever!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you know how long I stood in the carport yesterday trying to envision our garden claw in the shape of some letter? How dumb can I be?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved reading about the 3 ships - I'm such a history nut! I love to tour stuff like that, although it drives my hubby crazy.

    Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The ships are too cool, I'd love to take my kids to see something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow. i feel smarter! those ships are amazing! and wow...5 years to build them.

    thanks for stopping by my place!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love history. I hope that they will make whatever repairs are necessary to restore the ships.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Anni!

    Very interesting! I could just imagine the smells, too! They were very brave to head out like that, weren't they? I always did love history in school, so I found this very a enjoyable history lesson! I did not know they had replicas like that where you live.

    Interesting find of the letters this week, too! You must have a very keen eye to spot them like that!

    Hope you are doing well today! It has turned cold here in SC...got down to 18 last night with wind chill of 4. I don't ever remember it being that cold here! Oh, well, we'll get plenty warmed up this summer, I'm sure! LOL

    ((( HUGS )))

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for the fascinating photos. I honestly had no idea. I cannot even imagine having been on one of those ships not even certain where one was headed.
    Your alphabet is very clever. :)

    Jennifer
    http://www.rundpinne.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I forgot to thank you for the Valentine! Very cute!!! Thank you so much!!!

    ((( HUGS )))

    ReplyDelete
  28. You know, while I was living there, that was one thing we forgot to go see! Oh well. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I didn't know those were there and I've been to Corpus several times. Huh. Cool though. It is crazy to think about all that history...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a nice comment. I love the ships, that part of history always fasinated me as a kid, but when I got older and thought about all the logistics about sailing the ocean, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW! What a great, historical event to come to your town! Thanks for stopping by today:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. And to think, I've actually seen these ships. We really enjoyed our visit to your city, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have toured a ship that size, too and it's so claustrophic. To think they sailed those unknown waters without a clue as to where they may end up is mind boggling, but not something I'd like to do. I will never be an intrepid explorer, I like my creature comforts too much.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anni,

    The historical significance is amazing. I would love to see these three replicas. One more reason to come to Corpus Christi.

    You're doing a great job with the alphabet meme. I could never have thought of all those.

    Sorry I'm so late visiting. Dakota is a handful, as all puppies are and this woman isn't as young as she used to be. Apparently neither is hubby. We're using muscles we forgot we had. LOL

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  35. i don't know how they did it either!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love history it was and still one of my favorite subject.

    Wouldn't it be amazing if the pentagon could built a ship for under 10 billion.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello dear Anni:-)

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria replicas that you have over there. I've always loved tall ships but as you say, one can't even imagine how awful it was to have to live in these small quarters for months on end while at sea! The smell alone would have been horrible.

    Omigosh, look at the E and F you found...I'm telling you, you're so good at seeing letters around your house!! Great job:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cool WW! Love the pics of the old ships.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Interesting stuff, and that alphabet challenge would be rough I'd think. Oh, and I love how as your occupation on your profile page you have "senior citizen." That is priceless.

    ReplyDelete

.