my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Thursday, February 12th, 2009
3:24 A.M.


HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY ashes [any kind of ash...from cigarettes to cleaning the fireplace ash] always looks black on white clothes and white on black clothes?

- - -

Well, Valentine's Day is Saturday. And Bud bought me the cutest....it's as near to a rag doll [which is one of my favorite kinds of dolls] that it can get without being a 'rag doll'. Except for her eyes, she's all 'soft scuplture'. I guessed that she'd be considered a Valentine Cherub. He said it was an angel. We decided to agree to disagree. But I went one step further. I got on my handy dandy Google Search Engine and typed in the definition of cherub. You know in art, there are cupids this time of year...with the small sprite-like little fellow with wings and always with a bow and arrow. No, she's not a cupid that's for sure. But is she an angel or a cherub?






    Britannica Concise Encyclopedia: cherub

    In Jewish, Christian, and Islamic literature, a celestial winged being with human, animal, or birdlike characteristics. They are included among the angels, and in the Hebrew scriptures they are described as the throne bearers of God. In Christianity and Islam they are celestial attendants of God and praise him continually. Known as karubun in Islam, they repeat "Glory to God" ceaselessly, and they dwell in a section of heaven inaccessible to attacks by the Devil. In art they are often depicted as winged infants.


Well, I didn't really know there was much of a difference actually. At least I found this all out after I read so much OF the differences. It never ceases to amaze me the stuff I learn with a computer. This computer stuff is fabulous!!!! You can learn oh so much. Anyway...

"There are also other types of Angels:
seraphim, cherubim.

"Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings; with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew" . Isaiah 6:2

"So He drove out the man; and placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubim, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life". Gen. 3:24

The name cherub (cherubim plural) denotes the power of knowing and beholding God. Their receptivity to the most high gift of light. Their contemplation of the beauty of the divinity in its first manifestation. They are filled by participation and divine wisdom and bounteously outpour to those below them from their own fountain of wisdom."

There is a hierarchy of angels. Cherubim are one of the classes. "Cherubs" are romanticized representations of the innocence of angels. I LEARN something every day. But still, is my doll a cherub or an angel? It has wings...maybe just a winged doll. ROFL I still say Cherub.

15 comments :

  1. angels, cherubs, beautiful magical things. all of them. to me. aaaaaand. now you leave us hanging????? why is the ash white on black etc etc etc??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anni ~~ Happy Valentine's Day on Saturday. I love your husband's gift ~~ whatever it is ~angel??
    The fires have been really dreadful
    here but I think the worst is over. Thank you so much for your concern and prayers for the many people who lost everything as well as loved one.
    Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed this post, your rag doll is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shadow: Well, don't ask me...I am wondering myself, and was hoping someone could answer my question about ashes...it's one of those 'strange' things in life!

    ~Anni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni
    Good question you have today, and might I add, a cute gift from your Bud.
    If she is a Cherub, a Seraphin or an Angel, is really a good question,

    My Father in Law who was a priest, and a missionaire always said that the idea of 'angels wings' comes from the ancient custom of a prayer shawl
    called a 'tallit'. Yahshua had one, and it was the fringes of that
    that people touched and were healed.-
    So even though our tradition says that angels have wings,
    we must look in the Bible to see if it is correct. A simple Bible search of the words
    "wings" and "angels" reveals that the two do not appear in the same verse.-

    "Genesis 28:12
    And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth,
    and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels
    of God ascending and descending on it."
    *********
    So they did not have wings, or else they would fly, right? "S"

    My personal meaning?
    The wings are only a form of symbolism. Angels can come in many different forms.
    They can be a relative, a best friend, a generous stranger, a child, or even your pets! :)

    So your Bud must be an angel giving you such a gift, right?

    Happy Valentines Day to you both

    Mutti

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mutti: Excellent!! You are so wise. But you know it, and I know it. Now you also know Bud...and me---so you can see I'm right then, it's a Cherub, just like I said. [just kidding...the wife is always right tho, right?]

    ~Anni

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's adorable - and he's sweet. Though we live in the Valentine Capital of the World, we don't go big on V Day. Probably because it has always been in competition with Kev's birthday on the 13th. Ironically, DC usually gives me chocolates, when he and I both know I don't need them! But it's nice anyway.

    Doesn't Google answer the ashes question?? It is really wonderful, you're so right (as usual!) about the wealth of info at our fingertips. Too easy, though, for students to cheat - professors can check, though - I saw a couple of cases while I worked at CSU of students losing their dreams of a master's degree because they lifted their papers right from something they found on line. Sad and stupid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni,

    You posted a great question. I have no idea and had never really thought about it, but do know it is true. I have taken many ashes out of the woodstove and Quebec heater in my younger days.

    I Googled the question, but didn't come up with an answer. I suspect it is some scientific phenomena.

    Well, whatever your little rag doll is, she is delightful and Bud is an angel for giving her to you. I would say angel, but possibly not. She is kewl and Bud is a keeper.

    Have a great day, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Annie,

    Thank you for your sweet comment and moral support this morning. I should have listed you as one of the girls who should be the Blogger Valley High School prom queen because you too have a popular blog and you do still find time to go around and visit folks once in awhile. It is really weird to get a negative comment, well I shouldn't say negative, this was an all out attack. I do count myself lucky and this was only the second one I got in a year and a half of blogging.

    Anyway, I appreciate you!

    Have an awesome day!

    Sharon
    P.S. I love your new rag doll! Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with a computer and Internet we are becoming more and more intelligent. Sometimes I feel like a living Wikipedia,lol ! The doll is soooo cute ! I would love it too !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whatever she is, I love her! How cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet gift....I think Cherub too...

    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angel or Cherub she is so darn cute it makes my heart happy... Wonderful gift!

    HUGS,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute!! You have the most interesting posts!! Hugs, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aw...your doll is so cute!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

.