“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Saturday, February 14th, 2009
3:50 A.M.



Join Here
PHOTO HUNT 2009 THEMES


NAUTICAL







There is a museum about 35 miles from Corpus Christi, along the coastal highway 181. It's located in the Texas town of Rockport-Fulton. It's called the Maritime Museum. Most of the articles in exhibit have to do with ships' legacies, history of the area, and naval and nautical items. One section has local artists' renditions of the Texas Lighthouses...in art form. The first photo above is the Sabine Bank Lighthouse.
    In the Gulf of Mexico, roughly sixteen miles south of the entrance to the Sabine River, Sabine Bank lies hidden a mere twenty feet below the surface of the water. In 1888, Congressman William H. Crain proposed a lightship for Sabine Bank, which measures about thirty miles long and five miles wide, but the district lighthouse engineer in New Orleans didn’t see the need for such a measure. A decade later, the Lighthouse Board finally did recommend the construction of a lighthouse to warn the numerous deep-drafted vessels now calling at Port Arthur of the potential offshore danger, and Congress appropriated $40,000 in 1900 and 1901 for the project.
The 2nd photo from the top is an encased replica of a shrimp boat. Here, it's a hands on exhibit. You can push buttons and pull levers to see the operation of the nets, lights and such while viewing the shrimp boat. The third photo down is a scaled model of the famous LaSalle Odyssey that is part of the Texas Coastal History. The scale is 1/12th the size of the actual Robert La Salle’s flagship La Belle. With navigation of the past, the LaBelle and its crew landed in the area...some 400 miles WEST of its original destination, with the intention of starting anew...a post on the mouth of the Mississippi River in Louisiana, instead came too far and ended the journey, sinking, in the bay near Rockport. Rediscovered in the water in 1995, the archeological finds produced millions of artifacts for the museums along the Gulf Coast to share it's fateful demise. Which brings me to the fourth photo; a brass plate off the LaBelle's hull. All some 300 years later, after the fact. And according to official maritime records, the ship's owner is indeed, King Louis XIV.


33 comments :

  1. Wow ! wonderful items ! you were lucky that you could take pictures of them.
    Happy Valentine's day, btw !

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely pics... what i love about things nautical, is the smells, of fish, of salt, of seaweed, air....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and story Anni... Happy Valentine’s Day to you too... Hope your day is filled with love, laughter and fun...

    x♥x♥x♥
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. With as many times as I have visited the Corpus Christi area how did I miss this treasure? My husband and I even had our honeymoon in Rockport. (Don't ask!)

    Great job with the photos for this week!

    My nautical photo is posted here is up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful museum and your pictures are just amazing. Thanks so much for sharing, what a treat. HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY ! and thanks for the visits. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome photos! Great for this week's theme.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great ideas!hope you can check mine here:http://prettyfabulous.blogspot.com/2009/02/photo-hunt-6-nautical.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. great ideas!hope you can check mine here:http://prettyfabulous.blogspot.com/2009/02/photo-hunt-6-nautical.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your new background is beautiful!

    I love a museum and this one sounds like such fun, and with great history, to boot! Hands on: I'd love to work the shrimp boat!

    Thanks for great pics and historical facts. I learn alot on your blog, Anni!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni,

    These are marvelous photos of the museum. The boys would love the interactive shrimp boat. Such interesting history in your post today.

    Enjoy a nice Valentine's Day with Bud. It will be quiet here. We don't celebrate anymore. The boys will be celebrating with their parents and then tomorrow are coming for supper. They saw Dakota yesterday and couldn't believe how much he's grown.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS. Love your new look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I soooo love your new background!! Happy valentines Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ♥♥♥Happy Valentines Day sweetie!♥♥♥ I loved your photos, and at first thought the first was a drawing/painting of yours! I know youre very talented. My hunt is up, please come and visit me soon...I'm sick in bed all day with a nasty cold...I could use a visitor

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos Cindy for this week's theme. That sounds like an interesting museum to visit.

    Happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni, you can tell I got a bit confused there. It must have been seeing Becci's comment above mine. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband would love to see these - even though he grew up in the Midwest, he loves all things nautical. We must get down there someday.

    I have my LOVEland post up!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great choise for the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are the best, no doubt, on this weeks photo challenge.

    I feel like a stupide amateur

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures and writings for today's Photo Hunt theme. I actually played today.

    Happy Valentine's Day, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos! Reminds me of the Erie Canal Museum here in NY. I did Photo Hunters today, too. http://newyorktraveler.net/photo-hunters-nautical/

    Hope you get a chance to visit. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would love to visit this museum.thanks for the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, I'm totally mesmerized by that rendering of the lighthouse! 'Twould look so great on my bedroom wall! :)

    Say Annie, if you've the opportunity (or interest), J.A. Jance has a great new post out on her blog (re. Arizona) ... http://www.jajance.com/jajance.com/Blog/Blog.html

    Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful posting for Nautical! You pictures are lovely.
    Have a wonderful Valentine.
    Sorry I didn't get back to you last week.
    Graceanne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very interesting and informative post. Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great series of shots ~ enjoyed the history too. Maritime museums are my fave! (Shoot, now I'm craving shrimp) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The links were very interesting, thanks for sharing with us, you put a lot of thought in this post. Hope you had a nice Valentine's day.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You never cease to amaze me! Wonderful nautical post ;--)
    I did participate at Sacred Ruminations this week and left valentines on each of my blogs. Hope your valentine's day was lovely.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love ships like the ones in your photos. It looks like a fun museum.


    Here is mine:
    JyLnC's photohunt.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anni, love the new look of your blog. My brother in law lives in Rockport. My husband and I hope to visit that area one day. We've been married nearly 12 years, and I still, have not met my brother in law!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great photos. Nautical would have been an easy theme. I should have joined this week. But alas, I'm getting just to lazy in my old age I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for sharing that with us :) Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What wonderful models. It looks like a great museum to visit. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete

.