my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Monday, February 2nd, 2009
2:09 A.M.







Our hostess for this week, assigned us a really super challenge.

We're to talk about the book we're reading and if we like it or not. There is a 2nd part to the assignment too. That part is to tell everyone what book we'd take with us to a desert island. Now, for me, that's challenging!!! I have so many 'favorite' reads.

The first part is:

I'm just about finished with this book that I started about two weeks ago, and had a blog post of it back then.. Let me tell you, I had several books I had lined up on my 'wish list' for the month, and this book was part of the growing list. I buy my books. I read them, and if they're an excellent book, they end up in our library = the computer room where the walls are lined with bookshelves and books. But, if they're 'not so good'....the books are traded in for cash at the used book store here in town. I get half my money invested, back. LOL So, the book I'm reading right now...Michelle. By Liza Mundy.
    Tho, it's not quite finished, I continue to read it even tho it's not all that inspiring a read. It seems quite redundant of what I already know about our first lady from viewing CNN and reading the newspaper and interviews online. No 'secret' revelations of her youth or her past loves; not much of anything new and unheard. Oh there are a few little tidbits here and there [i.e., Michelle not liking Barack going into politics when her 1st child was first born, she felt neglected and he wasn't home much...some turbulence in the marriage at first], but the author tends to make the book read like a newscast...."And now we take you to the interview part of the show"---and it's about what long ago neighbors or classmates thought of Michelle way back then. It isn't a gossipy celebrity-type bio, but it isn't a full-fledged scholarly biography either!! Of course, I'm sure given time there will be one. What I'd look forward to would be an AUTObiography of Michelle!! I've read Barack's first book which tells of him and Michelle. His rendition. I'd love to read what Michelle's side of the romance/relationship would be...in depth.

    For me, Michelle, the book is more about what Chicago [granted, I'm not finished with the book, there may be some height to the book before it's completely read] was like when she was a child...very detailed about the neighborhoods and the people next door and the schools and the social input of being black back in the era. It's more like an account of Chicago instead of a childhood. Also her college days...it was like reading an history book...more so about being black and how she coped with it...yet, it was more or less what it was like for ALL people other than the predominant white race attending Princeton and Harvard.

    On page 100 or is it 101[?], it tells the reader how Barack asked for her hand in marriage. But again, I knew this already from reading HIS biography. It was like reading the exact wording from HIS book.

    All in all, quite "Blah, blah, blah" style. But I'll finish it. And I'm sure it'll be traded in once the new biography comes out in November. Time will tell.



- - -

Now the 2nd part. Hmmmmmm [insert the vision of me stroking my chin in thought --"The Thinker style"]

What book would I take with me? I'm sure it'd be something juicy. I'm sure it'd be something that could keep my blood rushing through my veins. Something that would keep me trekking across the island, alive and filled with hope, as I try to survive. Some book where I could lay on the beach and soaking up the rays of the sun and dream of love and devotion and trials of life. Something that would inspire me to carry on with life as handed over to me. The expression comes to mind: "But I LOVE God more".[Thorn Birds]¹ or perhaps: "As God as my witness". [Gone With the Wind] maybe: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair...". [Tale of Two Cities] Still, it may be: "It was something deeper, more humbling. It was the knowledge that she had overcome herself. The test is not just something hard to do, the test is knowing you can do it." [Clan of the Cave Bear], still a great book of poetry with much depth like: "Startled at the stillness broken by reply so aptly spoken, `Doubtless,' said I, `what it utters is its only stock and store, Caught from some unhappy master whom unmerciful disaster Followed fast and followed faster till his songs one burden bore - Till the dirges of his hope that melancholy burden bore Of "Never-nevermore."' [The Raven]...I could go on and on. I feel it's just too difficult to pick just ONE book. Perhaps I'd nix all those and go with a book of how to survive and be rescued off the island so I could once again visit Barnes and Noble and catch up ON MY READING wish list!
    There's a story... a legend, about a bird that sings just once in its life. From the moment it leaves its nest, it searches for a thorn tree... and never rests until it's found one. And then it sings... more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. And singing, it impales itself on the longest, sharpest thorn. But, as it dies, it rises above its own agony, to outsing the lark and the nightingale. The thorn bird pays its life for just one song, but the whole world stills to listen, and God in his heaven smiles.¹

26 comments :

  1. I've never really been one to read biographies, I'm not really sure why! The Obamas are interesting characters and obviously on a world stage now - I wonder how many kids here in England could tell you that Obama is president but couldn't tell you that Gordon Brown is our PM. Do they have any skeletons in their closets? I can't imagine that they'd have any really.

    Thanks for sharing your Fun Monday with us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd still would LOVE to read her book, lol. Guess there would be more news in it for me than for you. But it is not here so will have to do without.
    Huggers from Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd take Thorn Birds... Or Morgan's Run (also McCullough). I enjoy biographies, but not so much on people still living. I feel kind of gypped because the story doesn't actually end. Can't end.

    I buy my books too. The library isn't terribly convenient, and honestly, if I like the book, I will read it again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be torn between Gone with the Wind and Tale of Two Cities. But I do like the idea of a survival book so you can get to the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love biographies, finding out about how people lived their lives is interesting to me. I also went with a survival book, to me that would be the most pratical thing to have with you if your stranded on an Island. Thank you Hooti'Anni for the valentine, I put it on my blog. Your a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Michelle" book hasn't been translated yet and I haven't seen it in english either but I would love to read it too.
    If I would know before that I land up on an island because my ship sank, then I also would take Gone with the wind ! But so far the boats were safe !

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, picking only one book is tough...maybe we should all rise up and vote to take a computer and wireless connection so we can order books as we desire. If we get enough we may be able to fashion a boat to save ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great book review sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,

    I think I will pass on Michelle for this time. I also would love to see an autobiography. That would be from a more interesting point of view and hopefully in her own words.

    Ah, books! No great gift were humans ever given. There is nothing like a good book.

    Take care, my friend and have a great week. I hope all is well with your and Bud.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anni,
    I tried to comment on your daybook but couldn't. I did love reading it and knew that was a cotton gin in the picture before you said so.
    Have a great week.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post, and yes, always visit Barnes and Noble, spend lots of money, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds like someone trying to cash in on the excitement . Thats too bad.

    I think it would be appropriate for you to abandon ship - and drift into shore on a huge chest full of your favorite books!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to say I'm not so sure I would find *Michelle* a particularly interesting read having had so much info written about the family in our media in recent months.

    However, any of your desert island books would definitely appeal to me! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. an interesting and very topical read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a really interesting read on Michelle Obama. You did a good job for Fun Monday.

    Have a good week, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really have like or enjoy the person to read a biography. The last one I read was on Doris Day and I enjoyed it a lot.
    I wanted to also let you know that you have been "tagged". I do hope you can play along :) Follow the link for more info :)
    http://thesocialfrog.com/?p=1136

    ReplyDelete
  17. I suspect a biography of Michelle Obama will be more interesting in 8 years time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ... just dropping by to say "thanks" for yesterday's Helping Hands award!

    'Decided I needed something to snap me out of my StupidBowl-Pout ... and your little gift was just the right medicine! (That, and I had such fun with the Slam Book meme!)

    Stay safe n' warm!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had been looking forward to hearing what you thought of that book "Michelle"...what a shame that it wasn't as good as you expected it to be. As you said, it's kind of redundant if most of what is in the book was already told on the news, newspapers, etc. Don't these authors know that we need ACTION and GOSSIP? hehe

    As for the second question, I've been trying to think of what book I'd bring with me and I can't think of one! lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello Anni..how have you been? I have not been around much I know...but I keep trying...Nice to be back to reading your blog again...

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a nice, unbiased review. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do not believe I will be reading anything Obama just now. It's kind of overload. I am more curious as to how well he will keep his promises.
    Desert island eh, well I think my choice would be the boy scout handbook. Being on the island would give me the time to write my own book, fianlly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The centerpiece is so pretty and shiny! Very festive, too. Thanks for stopping by my HoT.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anni, I love your post especially your literary ending. Since I live very near Chicago, perhaps I should read the book about Michelle. Plus, I am very impressed with our new first lady. I would like to have insight into this facet of our history.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're exactly right, Anni. Beware of the books that come out too quickly when people become famous. A Michelle Obama autobiography would be an a very good--and I suspect humorous--read. Let's wait for that one and save it for your shelves as a keeper.

    and, yes, you'd need the book on hw to get off the island and back to YOUR reading list!

    My Fun Monday post if up now--a bit late because of DSL and ice storm problems. Check it out if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I used to play a piece of music with your name ~ when I could still play.

    My daughter's school bus driver gave her a book on Barrack to give to me to read.

    All those books you quoted. My computer is in my bedroom at the moment & I have a few books in here with it (& me & the dogs & the dogcat). My language dictionaries & books will follow the computer, the Russian, esoteric & Romani stuff will stay in my bedroom. Livestock, health & cookery in the kitchen passage, some music in the sitting room, the rest in the container, which, once the house & garage are completely renovated, will be my library (& hold my traditional & costume kits). I LIKE books!

    ReplyDelete

.