my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Tuesday, January 6th, 2009
2:45 A. M.




Join Here
TAILS - "Three Things"
Tell three things you learned in 2008.

For some reason I can't change this around in my head to 'think outside the bun' for the category. And yet, coming up with a simple three things is quite difficult for me...

I learned that Du er den bedst is Danish for "You are the best". A friend of mine always signs her emails with this directed to me...Isn't that super? I love languages. In fact if I stayed in school I would have majored in English Literature and my minor would have been Languages.

I learned that my ex son in law [call this dirty laundry if you will, but it's a fact of life, and I feel good getting it off my mind] is bisexual. Actually, I shoulda guessed! He and his best friend were always together when Dan was not with Irene. Go figure. What's the saying about being blind? Love is blind? Ya, that's it....loving one, even if it's not a physical relationship as with him and me...a 'son'- mother relationship, the emotion can still hide what is obvious. Does the movie, Breakback Mountain, come to mind? I still have to stop and give thanks, mentally, to the 'ex'.....he gave me a gift of two grandsons.

I learned some more cascading style sheet [CSS] tricks for blog design with the help of my son's coworker/girlfriend!! Yay, me. LOLOLOL Actually, Yay her!!!!---for putting up with me and teaching me stuff online.



~end Heads or Tails
[comment HERE if you'd like to skip the rest of my blog entry for the day]







<><><>

Speaking of TAILS. I want to talk about a special tale of a little tail in Iowa, USA.....

With me having the flu for weeks on end, and still coughing and wheezy at times, I have totally not felt like reading much and lost track of where I was in the book I started weeks ago. So, I decided to start another book for my nightly reading ritual, and put the other aside to begin again sometime at a later date. The book I found at Barnes and Noble this past weekend was 30% off! And with a face like his on the dust jacket I just had to pick it up off the shelf and read the inside flap to see who Dewey was. His whole demeanor came out and reached for me, irresistible I tellya! In the cover of the dust jacket, the synopsis of the writing, it tells me that he was an abandoned kitty, left in a small town's library shoot [where you turn in your books after hours...like a mail shoot, or a movie rental slot]. It was in the middle of a bitter cold winter; left there over the weekend...just a kitten only weeks old. It was recorded as the coldest night of the year!! When the librarian found him he was huddled in the corner among the dropped off books, shivering in the cold, nearly starved...so weak and frail. All four of his feet were frostbitten....And so the beginning of a world wide known story of Dewey Readmore Books, a small-town mascot of Spencer Iowa Library. It goes on to tell me that by the end of the book, it'll be a 5 kleenex ending....oh my....I must admit, when I read THE FIRST chapter I was bawling like a baby...

I think it's going to be a worthwhile read, and a heart warming story... and no doubt, by the end of the book, a heart wrenching tale, of a beautiful kitten who wins the hearts of the town and after I read it in its entirety, he'll be on my lips for days after I've finished. I just know it will be that way. I'm a sucker for animals and animal stories.



<><><>

storyteller emailed me these two awards since I had missed visiting her during my illness. She was kind enough to make the special effort to give these accolades to me and I really appreciate her gesture and kindness! Thank you ---she writes in her blog:
    I confess I can't recall
    just who tagged me, but the ball bounced to me & I did play
    gathering these here today. [2008 review]

    Addendum ... Methinks it was Hootin' Anni
    who wrote about this tag ...so the award at the bottom is
    certainly hers too!



and she also sent me this one:


    The point of this award
    "We are all artist in are own way be it art, photography, writing, philosophy, comedy, blogging and we all go a little crazy sometimes. But if you ever feel so crazy to cut off your ear and give it to a prostitute 'Seek Help'!"



Thanks again dear storyteller!

24 comments :

  1. interesting 3 things those! style tricks you say? i can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you have a good knowledge of web design because your blog templates are always so pretty :) Always a pleasure to visit here!

    I too like languages and learning new phrases :)

    Happy HOT day and thank you for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni,

    I certainly wish I could design web pages like you do. You combine your talents to make such lovely eye candy...and you share it with me. You are a gem of a friend.

    Oh, that story looks like a tear jerker. Be sure to let me know how it is. I may look that one up at the bookstore.

    Reading a good one myself. "Whistling in the Dark" is one you will love. I will do a review when I finish.

    Have a great day, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I could make it through Dewey. If it ends sad than no I couldn't. Let me know when you finish if it has a happy or sad ending.

    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CSS is a bit tricky at first but the more you learn the easier it is. At least I think so :)

    Happy Tuesday Anni! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's quite a discovery with your ex SIL ! The book you read made me already sad when I read the few lines you wrote ! I think I would need 10 boxes of Kleenex ! Congrats to your awards !!

    It hasn't been so cold -11°C (12 F) since at least 20 years if not more and so much snow probably also ! nobody is equipped for that and the roads are a catastrophe. Yesterday whole Brussels was a mess !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The lovely young lady in the purple shirt is one of my many nieces. I'll have to pay closer attention to the gossip mags to see what you mean about Kirsten Dunst!

    Wow, that would be quite a shock to learn what you did about the ex SIL. The more we learn about ours, the more I wonder how in the world he got into our lives! What a sad mess he is.

    Have a wonderful day. I am getting together with my two "old" high school friends for lunch - we are blessed to be able to do this on occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know that I would never ever dare say a word about airing dirty laundry. Regarding your ex SIL.. it doesn't change the good you already knew about him.

    OHHH! Does your friend know how to .. Hmm.. how can I explain it? Have you ever noticed the "Hotties" badge that can be stolen/used by taking the code on the HoT page? I would like to be able to put up a way for people to take the blogroll code, but don't know how.

    The theme for the 20th is Heads or tails - All or Al. I really did think about having it be something to do with the inauguration but a lot of people aren't in the States.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the awards and I hope you're feeling real better soon. My youngest son is a computer whizz kid, but every time he tries to teach me something 'technical', I freeze :-)
    Life is certainly full of surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know... I don't do the heads or tails meme, so I don't HAVE to think about this ... but if I were PRESSED to think about it - it's HARD to recall things that you've learned over the year! You know you HAVE learned... jeeez... every day is a learning experience! But to actually THINK or RECALL what you have learned ... that takes real work! LOL! Ya just know what ya know! Right? Now I gotta go THINK! Cuz this will drive me nuts...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a wonderful Wednesday! I hope to continue progressing in my knowledge of web page design as well. It's so much fun! And, at this point, free!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni!
    I did a post on Dewey a few weeks back! What an amazing story.
    Dewey just so happens to look identical to our cat Chestnut.
    Hope all is well with you.
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The little guys in the martini glass and out are adorable - not so much in real life, probably! Hope you are back to 100% soon. Sounds like you had a tough bug. I'm fascinated by all the clever things you do on your blog -

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love languages, too! ...All of them except Spanish, that is. I wasn't grooving on all three quarters I had to take it!
    Imagine having a boyfriend, with whom you are utterly smitten. Sometimes he puts on your best friend's dress & makeup. His best friend is a gay guy. How can it possibly come as a surprise to find out he's bi??? Somehow, I was surprised. *sigh*
    Sounds like one of those things I'd love to learn if I had the time & a cooperative 'Puter!
    Happy New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I took an HTML class and learned *some* about CSS too! I must admit, though - I didn't retain everything I learned... I'm afraid I learned it for the assignments and then forgot it... I'll have to force myself to do more with the HTML so I can retain it better.

    My next class is JavaScript... it starts next week.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow! At least you have come to terms with his sexuality. Yay on the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello dear Anni:-)

    Like you, I've always loved languages and when I was just a young girl, one of our neighbours taught me Italian and another one taught me a bit of Spanish...I also spoke French and English and my mom says I used to get all mixed up and use words from all 4 languages in one sentence! lol

    No matter what sexual preference your ex SIL has, you're right, you can at least be thankful for your two grandsons:-) Would you believe I've never seen Brokeback Mountain yet? Must rent the video soon.

    I wish I knew half of what you do about the computer...your blog is always amazingly well presented:-)

    Awwww that book sounds sooo good, I'm sure I'd be bawling reading it too. Like you, I'm a sucker for animals:-)

    Congratulations on the well deserved awards, my friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Great things to learn, well maybe not #2 but... oh well, lol. I'm heading over to read the post about Pixar, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey there you! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Wow.....there is lots of activity here at your blog as usual! Hope you have a very happy 2009!

    Hugs, Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Anni ~ ~ Good post and congrats on the awards. I hope you are feeling well agai by ow, my friend.
    I am glad you liked the Five tips for women and also Molly. She sure went through a lot, and I love the smiley faces she leaves with her hoofprits. Take care and I hope your cough has gone or at least thingking about going. Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I'll have to skip that book. Sounds far too tearful.

    Thanks for your comment at my blog. I have heard so many stories like yours about your son. It is really sad. I'm glad he had the gumption to prove them wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I didn't have time to play HoTs yesterday but may do a belated post sometime soon ... just because. I've learned quite a bit about HTML and PSE6 ... am in the process of figuring out how WordPress works and lots more, but my mind won't go there right now. I suppose CSS may be something I look into in the year ahead because I'd love to do the kinds of things YOU do on your blog ... seriously! I'm glad you enjoyed the awards ... and hope you continue to feel better until you're all well again!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  23. Winston is such a beautiful cat..he kind of looks like he knows it too..right? Hope all is well with you and Bud!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi sweet Anni
    I haven't been "in" since new years, I'll tell you in a letter-too long here.
    As always your blog is interesting reading, and as always you are so right ------and----as always

    Du Er Den Bedste.
    but you already know that "SS"
    Love, Mutti
    the Dane

    ReplyDelete

.