“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Friday, January 30th, 2009
4:15 A.M.



Join Here


I did it! I did it!!!
I'm so pleased. For ten years...TEN long years, I've diligently added to my collection. And this past week, tho the last one was issued in November of 2008, I have completed two whole sets of it! Two each! One set for Clint [our oldest grandson] and the other set for Dillon [our youngest grandson]. Plus two [one for each folder] special gold ones!! And, this is my show n tell this week....

It all started in the year 1999. The United States Mint began printing out commemorative quarters to represent each state of our country. They began with the first states, the first of the states [part of the original 13 colonies] that were admitted to the union. Each successive year, five quarters would be minted and issued as they became states. Beginning with Delaware [the first ratified state of USA] up to and including the 50th state of America, Hawai'i. After I got two quarters of the same, I would add them to the folders made especially for the coins. Each state on the map shows the year they joined, becoming a state. Each year was color coded on the map according to the sequence. It was fun. I admit tho, there were a couple of times I was beginning to think I'd never find that quarter! The ones I collected are NOT uncirculated as coin collectors search for for their personal collections. None the less, the two are now complete. Hawai'i's coin was the last, and as I said, they were minted in November of 2008. By the time they appeared here in our town in the cash drawers at the banks, it was mid January 2009!

This photo displays the two folders, completed! I added a little bone china Bald Eagle, the country's national bird, in the show n tell exhibit for my blog today. I remember we were on our way TO Texas on vacation at the time --we were seriously thinking of relocating to Texas for our home by the sea, traveling from Tucson to Houston and we stopped in NEW MEXICO for gasoline...and I went in to the little country store next to the station and bought me a sandwich and chips while Bud took over the driving...my change? TWO shiny Texas Quarters. I took this as an omen and we moved to Texas shortly afterward. hehehehe

As aforementioned, there are also two special coins! We had to ask for these. We were walking the boardwalk, shopping, and saw a man come out holding and looking intently at a coin...I stopped, knowing just what it was, and asked him: "Where did you get that?" He smiled, and turned around toward the swinging bar doors and answered, "In there." We went in for a beer, sat down and ordered our Coors Light, and asked for gold dollars for our change. At the Crystal Palace in Tombstone of all places! They are gold dollars! The Sacagawea dollar, along with the Presidential Dollar series, is one of the two that were 'current' United States dollar coins at the time. This coin was first minted in 2000 and depicts the Shoshone woman Sacagawea, a member of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, carrying her son Jean Baptiste Charbonneau. These coins were made to replace the unpopular Susan B. Anthony dollar coins which were often confused with quarters because of their similar size, similar reeded edge, and identical color. To remedy this problem, Sacagawea dollars were given a smooth outside edge (similar to the Nickel) and distinctive gold color which made it the only gold-colored coin in the United States that was circulating at the time. The back side of the gold dollar has an eagle soaring. In 2002, the printing/stamping of this coinage was halted. No longer minted. The coin is part of the two folders I have here, placed in it's special area...in the Gulf of Mexico..near Florida as you can see in the 2nd photo.

Ten long years....uhhhhh, Houston? Mission Accomplished. We're have a touch down.

48 comments :

  1. Hi. A friend in the USA collected them for me and send them when she had a couple. Just this week I received the last 4 ones, so have all 50 of them too!!
    I don't have the map so will have to see where I will put them on display. I love having them too, and the gold one is beautiful! Guess she didn't find that one anymore, but that is oke.

    Hugs from Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is an amazing achievement, Anni. Ten years...that's a loo-oo-ong time. Your boys will surely treasure those displays, and the main reason will be what you collected them all with love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done!

    Alfazema

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. that's dedication for you! well done and be proud you finished it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Hootin' Anni!

    How awesome that you COMPLETED this collection of coins. I remember when the first ones were issued and I even began collecting. Sadly, I didn't come close to getting all of them.

    Glad you stopped by for a visit!

    Kindly, ldh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by and your kind comment. We're pretty excited over our first grandson!

    What an accomplishment with the quarters! You know though, I was disappointed when they minted the Texas one. I mean, where the heck was the Alamo? The cradle of Texas Liberty and NO ALAMO? Kind of seems like sacrilege, Ha Ha.

    Yeah, life goes on with more important stuff! Happy weekend!
    Connie

    PS Since you mentioned Sacajewah and I know you enjoy reading as does your Hubby, have you read "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen Ambrose on the Corps of Discovery? It's a bit long but utterly fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your grandchildren will cherish those!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! What dedication, your grandchildren will treasure them always. 10 years is a mighty long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super collection. Well done for your perseverance!

    Thanks for visiting my wedding album today too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. DC collected all of them for himself and for our son. He was excited at the end of the road as well. They didn't so the maps - the maps I bought them didn't hold the coins well - I don't what was up with that.

    Have a super week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are much more dedicatd than me. I started out collecting these quarters (three years)and stopped. I am sure your grandsons will also be pleased with your diligence. Thanks for sharing them.

    Blessings,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you got to accomplish that. It was a long time coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is amazing and a long time coming :)Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! That is amazing and a long time coming :)Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you. My son has been working on getting all of the quarters minted in both Denver and Philadelphia...it's hard to do when you live closer to one than the other. It's a great collection.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow ! I still have my mouth open ! what a nice display you have done !! Wonderful for the boys ! it's not only something special but also something to always remember grandma !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is pretty cool! My son has lots of those quarters, not sure if he finished his map book like you have. I'm sure your grandsons will appreciate all those years of collecting on your part.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhhhhhhhh GOOD for YOU! I have NOT completed mine yet! I still need several as a matter of fact... 4 of the 2008s and ARKANSAS! (from 2003!) I've never gotten one! You did great!!! Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This was a great show&tell. I have been collecting these as has son by law and the two wee ones here. So far, I don't have the last two. It makes it hard when you are a non cash person. I should be smart like you and go to the bank.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun! I, echo, SCORE!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations!! Great explanation of how the quarters were minted for us...I went right to our coin folders after reading your post to see where we are, and we are missing 6. I like the United States Map to show them off, but we have 2 folders and each quarter has 2 slots, one for those minted in Philadelphia (P on front) and Denver (D on front). We are missing the P stamped coins...so we're close!!

    I also think that there is a Sacajawea dollar in my husband's collection...he and daughter enjoy collecting for fun, not un-circulated expensive stuff. I've always been partial to "wheat pennies" myself!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! I'm impressed. You do indeed have a touchdown.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally understand your joy. I completely 5 sets! With both the P and D mints. I am thrilled. However, did you hear that this year they are releasing the territories?? I say good luck trying to find those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay!!!! Good for you, you are finished. Now you will have to find something else to collect

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super! I know this took due diligence. Some of these were harder to find than others.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a neat story. I'm amazed at your patience and that only adds to the satisfaction of completing it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrats on finishing your collection sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  28. How wonderful for you and what a neat show & tell.
    Thanks for stopping by..yes, the dial up phone works.
    We bought it at Pottery barn I think some years ago.
    It's pretty neat.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  29. How wonderful,I know how hard it was to find them, for my Daddy is doing the same thing. When we wre working out on the road, Hubby would buy a couple of hundred dollars of Sacagawea, my daughter worked at a bank then, to give out as tips. He also made my girls and I a necklace for Christmas one year, with Sacagawea dollar. We would be in differnet states, and would collect the coins Daddy needed.

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a nice collection!! My Dad used to collect coins. I think my twin brothers got them when he passed. I love the folder they go in also.

    Can I just say, too, that I appreciate the kind comments you leave on all the blogs you visit, including mine!! You are always upbeat and uplifting!! Thanks for spreading sunshine around blogland!!
    Sweet Blessings Be Yours,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow...my motherinlaw started one of these for our sons, but it's been slow keeping up. They are both now out of the house, and I've given up. Maybe I should still try to complete it. Very inspiring! ~CC

    ReplyDelete
  32. Way to go, I have relatives who have done it too. Then my Mom was able to get 2 coin sets in folders that show front and back of the quarter and the envelope like thing they are in tells all about the state and coins. Then it has a big library like thing you put the folders in, she did this for my son. Really is great!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog again too!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great idea and thoughful gift for your grandsons!!!! I love the display folders!! You are so right...that was quite a 'mission accomplished!'

    ((( HUGS )))

    ReplyDelete
  34. i started collecting these and even had a golder that went through 2003. I haven't purchased a new display and all my subsequent quarters are in a little jar just waiting. The display I had originally had spaces for both the Philadelphia and Denver mints.

    I need to get motivated and find another display for 2004-2008. Thanks for the nudge and reminder. Congratulations on completing two of the collections. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  35. That is quite an accomplishment, something they will always cherish!
    Great S&T!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations... What a great goal you accomplished... I am sure your grandsons will be so happy to receive them when they are old enough... Have a great weekend Anni...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anni,

    How wonderful that you have managed to collect a set of these beautiful coins for both Clint and Dillon. I'm sure they will love them.

    Just sent you an email, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  38. Only 8 more Hawaii quarters to obtain and then I will have $10.25 of each of the 50 states (1 of each goes into a display board and the rest get rolled per state). When completely done, I will have $500 worth of quarters saved. Kinda of like an emergency stash that I hope I never have to use. Oh, by the way, Washington, DC just recently released it's quarter. It has Duke Ellington on it. I think all of mine are Philadelphia mint because I live closer to there than Denver. At one time I was trying to get the Denver mint of each also but it got too hard ! My display board looks rather boring compared to your states !

    ReplyDelete
  39. No doubt your grandsons will cherish the coins that you lovingly collected for them. :) Awesome!
    Thanks so much for your easy instructions on how to put small images side-by-side. I was able to do this with ease, thanks to you! Now, I'm trying to get them to link to a different picture. Not having so much luck in that dept...fun, fun.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  40. That's so great that you finished it! What a wonderful memory you have made for your grandsons! My mom bought one of those for my niece and nephew. Although, I'm not sure they've finished it! Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I am so happy you are finished!! I have one more to go.... AZ and I will be done!! I think Karen gave me it and I must have put it somewhere safe!! Now I don't know where the safe place is with my AZ .25!! Hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  42. My mother in law collected these for each of her kids. It's such a cool collection.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congrats on completing you collection! That is quite a feat!!

    And thanks for taking us on your quest to find the last ones:)

    Very interesting!

    Linda C

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations! Big accomplishment! I tried making 4 sets and have gotten side-tracked along the way. I'll have to go back and work on them again. Thanks for sharing yours with us. A wonderful idea!

    You are always welcome in The Shadow of the Cross. Feel free to visit anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  45. How great, Anni! What an accomplishment. I'm sure your grandsons will treasure the coin collections. Congrats!!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  46. What a wonderful accomplishment, Anni! Congratulations!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  47. Woohoo, good for you!! Isn't it such a wonderful feeling to be able to finish up a collection like that. I've been putting aside all of our special quarters that come out and one of these days need to sort them out and see if I have any full sets. Anyway, I can well imagine how excited you were to get that last coin!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congratulations. My dad would be proud of you too! Alas, I'm still working on completing my quarter collection.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

.