“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Tuesday, December 9th, 2008
12:12 A.M.




Join Here This week's theme/prompt is: Heads - FILL or Tails - PHIL


If I go with 'Tails' there are only two "Phils" that I can think of and those would be Phil Donahue and the other would be Punxsutawney Phil. I personally get a big kick out of those that make such a big deal over Groundhog Day since if he sees his shadow....
    "As I look around me, a bright sky I see, and a shadow beside me.
    Six more weeks of winter it will be!"
    and
    If there is no shadow, then Spring is soon [like maybe 6 weeks y'think?]



From Wikipedia:

Historical origins

The groundhog (Marmota monax) is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels.

Perhaps the earliest known American reference to Groundhog Day can be found at the Historical Society of Berks County in Reading, Pennsylvania. The reference was made February 4, 1841 in Morgantown, Berks County, Pennsylvania storekeeper James Morris' diary: "Last Tuesday, the 2nd, was Candlemas day, the day on which, according to the Germans,[7] the Groundhog peeps out of his winter quarters and if he sees his shadow he pops back for another six weeks nap, but if the day be cloudy he remains out, as the weather is to be moderate." (Legend has it that the groundhog is a timid creature, and the sight of his own shadow will scare him.[1])

In the United States the tradition may also derive from a Scottish poem:

As the light grows longer
The cold grows stronger
If Candlemas be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight
If Candlemas be cloud and snow
Winter will be gone and not come again
A farmer should on Candlemas day
Have half his corn and half his hay
On Candlemas day if thorns hang a drop
You can be sure of a good pea crop

This tradition also stems from similar beliefs associated with Candlemas Day[8] and Groundhog Day. Candlemas, also known as the Purification of the Virgin or the Presentation, coincides with the earlier pagan observance Imbolc.



- - -

If I go with "Heads" I'd show off the stockings on the fireplace, ready and waiting for Santa to fill on Christmas Eve....






Some of my Cardinals on the mantle...








Cracked Glass votive candle holders
on the mantle
with painted cardinals....






The fireplace with:
my Santa Wreath and the cardinals [Mary? If you enlarge it, you'll notice the cardinal bell near the left side] and the stockings. Left is "Papa Bear's", the two small ones in the center for Tahoe and Winston, and the one on the right is "Mama Bear's"


24 comments :

  1. Anni,

    The cardinal bell looks terrific on your mantle. I'm so glad you like it. You have some lovely cardinals, my friend.

    Hubby and I don't hang stockings. I do hang them for the boys. When hubby was out of work with his heart, we stopped and I've never got back into it. I do like stuffing them though and of course Meeko should have a stocking. lol

    I love those votive holders with the painted cardinals. Did you paint them?

    Loved this post. So cherry and pretty. The boys and I did get the village up on the weekend but that's all the decorating that's been done so far. I need to hurry, but life keeps getting in the way.

    Have a wonderful day, my friend.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your decorations, your taste is so awesome my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the groundhog's concept of life...
    :)
    Love your Xmas decorations!! red cardinals are such beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those groundhogs are too cute. and yes, see shadow will sleep. can i do that too?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phil Donahue was the first Phil that entered my mind too. Actually, now that I think about it again, I could have written about him. I forgot I met him a million years ago when he filmed one of his shows from the Ohio State Fair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary: No, I didn't paint the cardinals on those candle holders...I found these at Kirklands. AND they had some with poinsettias and I got those also. LOL

    ~Anni

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures, and the piece on Groundhog Day was excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phil Donahue was the first talk show I used to watch "back in the day." Maybe it was the only daytime one on back then? :P His shows were always so smart.

    I was smiling while looking at your decorations because I remembered around Halloween time you told me you had even more for Christmas. They are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yeah stockings are a great idea. i think ill do that for kids this year as they are older to understand more.

    love the xmas header anni ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never seen his show but also hearing getting referred to in movies and sitcoms.

    Love your decor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember Donahue! And those were interesting facts on Groundhog's Day :) Nice take on the theme this week :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet that Groundhog would rather be left alone each year. Excellent post today Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You must have the best behaved cats ever. I could never have so many pretty things.
    *visions of cardinal glassware breaking*

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have wonderful Christmas decorations...
    We haven`t even put up anything this year yet...kind of in a funk...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love your decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely decorations! Of the two Phil's, I much prefer the groundhog! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very festive! :) That was quite a bit more about Groundhog Day than I ever expected. lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. And then there's Dr. Phil!

    I loved your story about the 3 men who changed your tire. We have a call-in feature in our newspaper, and often someone writes in to thank someone for a kindness. I love those so much more than the complaints!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your Christmas decor is beautiful thanks for sharing.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Punxsatawnie (sp?) Phil is fascinating! Your decorations are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am dreadfully behind on my visits with Friends...I hope all is well with you. Popping in to say Hello!
    Hugs,
    robin

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do enjoy seeing all your lovely holiday decorations. I was going to do something about Dr. Phil McGraw but ran out of time and skipped HoTs today altogether. Life's just too busy on Tuesdays & Thursdays.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  23. jettied12/10/2008

    Love your decor!! and I love how it is snowing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. cool :) i never knew much about groundhog day before. maybe it's not so well known in australia? must admit, the first phil i thought of was 'dr. phil'!

    ReplyDelete

.