my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




Monday, December 8th
12:45 A.M.
A THANK YOU NOTE & FUN MONDAY




Before I post about the Fun Monday today [which is directly below], I wanted to stop and give thanks to three kind gentlemen that helped me. I didn't get their names, but I see their faces as I type. You see, yesterday I ventured out alone to drive a short distance into town to buy tickets at the theater for the Corpus Christi Ballet of the Nutcracker that will be performed the next two weekends. There was a lot of street construction around the Bank Center, and when I turned the corner to park, the noise I heard made me think that perhaps something was wrong with the car's engine. I turned the key off and walked to the box office. When I returned I thought to myself, "Now let's see if the engine makes a weird noise, or if it will even start." No noise, and the ignition turned over....engine purring. As I put it in gear and started easing out of the parking space the clunk, clunk, clunking started again. It dawned on me. The tire was flat. I got out...sure 'nough it was flat. I figured I musta picked up a nail for it to go flat that quickly as I parked. I am not strong enough to get the lug nuts off by myself, I knew that. So, I crept along the street, as slow as I could go to the interstate and a gas station. Being Sunday, no one was there, and the cashiers had no idea how to help change a tire. I asked for a phone book so I could call a tow truck. [Bud home sick with a nasty head and chest cold and sleeping when I left, I didn't want to call him.] As I walked out looking for the phone booth that I was directed to find, a guy came up and said "Ma'am? You have a flat?" I said yes. He said, I'll help you. Three guys came to my rescue. They put on the spare tire, and I got home safely. I immediately went to the paper's online 'letter to the editor' and thanked them through the means of modern technology. They wouldn't accept any payment from me, and left saying "God Bless You". I am so thankful to have good upstanding citizens when the need had arisen for me. Thank you, guys!! So very much!!!! I know they'll never see this blog entry, but I do hope that the local newspaper editor will publish my thank you in the column, and one of the three gentlemen will see it. I will always remember their kind gesture; it humbled me so. PS...I didn't get the tickets, the Box Office was closed. I'm not sure I want to go back down into that area now while all the construction is taking place. Today, I get some tires!!! It's time.


<><><>




Marmalang is hosting for Fun Monday. What our challenge is will be fun to view through other blogs too. The challenge this week? To post about your favorite Christmas Carols AND your favorite Christmas 'thing' with a photo.
    So here's your topic...

    It's the Christmas season, and I want you to tell us what are your three favorite Christmas Carols and a picture of your favorite Christmas "thing". It could be a Christmas tree, or your mantle, or a church, you in a Santa hat.


Y'all know that I'm a Santa Collector. So, I thought I'd show you a photo of my very FIRST Santa given to me after I was married to Bud; from Bud. Back in December of 1968 [yes, that's dust on his cloak - it just came out of storage when the photo was taken!]. Y'know, in a way, this was the beginning of the 'no end in sight' for seeing Santas, literally by the hundreds, around our house for the holidays....




And my three favorite, of all time, Christmas Carols, in no particular order are:



This always makes me cry since my parents have passed away...we used to have such a wonderful celebration annually at their home with a huge feast and lots of family fun, with so many people in one house it was just unbelievably the best day of the year!! [I'll Be Home for Christmas]


I sang this solo at our church choir one year when I was a teenager...still love it! ---after singing it I must boast, I got a standing ovation on Christmas Eve Service and whistles and applause! My heart, like the Grinch, grew two sizes that night! But, my voice isn't the same pitch like back then, I'd more than likely get a Siskle and Ebert 'thumbs down' now. [Oh Holy Night]


Christmas Eve in Sarajevo

[aka Carol of the Bells]
I just simply LOVE this song. It has such a wonderful rhythm and tempo!



- - -

Thanks to Swampy for informing me last week how to check for the host/hostess for each week. Much appreciated.

29 comments :

  1. Praise God for those three kind gentlemen helping you, may they all be sweetly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so happy those kind men helped you out! I love when I hear about kind people! I'm sorry that the box office was closed, what a bummer! Hope you have a great week and your hubby feels better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless those gentlemen who helped you!

    And love your Fun Monday entry...especially your first Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you've reminded me of a record my dad used to play at christmas time... the church bells of various churches and cathedrals in europe on christmas eve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your santa is gorgeous. I always cry when I hear I'll be home for Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just goes to show that there are still lots of kind and decent people around. God bless those three kind gentlemen too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for stopping by, I loove O Holy Night too. blessings to the three guys. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow what an imposing Santa !! you know we married in 1969 the 6th December ! But then you celebrated 40 year this year ??
    I love all Christmas songs too !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,

    You have been visited by Christmas angels and I'm sure they know how much you appreciated their gesture. Yes, earthly angels still exist, although they are a very endangered species. Glad they were there for your.

    New tires? *ouch* Hubby put new tires on the van this fall. It hurts the pocket book. I'm sorry you didn't get the tickets. That must have been disappointing.

    I love your choice of Christmas carols. They are three of my favorites as well.

    Take care, my friend. Have a great week. It's going to be a busy one here.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! I am sure you were so relieved when those 3 "wise men" came to your rescue! I just love your post and blog layout! You are so creative! p.s. thanks for the "gift". I will be sure to copy it to my blog! I enjoyed watching the You Tube video of Carol of The Bells! Happy Fun Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful Christmas stories, Anni, and I loved your story of the "Good Samaritans" who helped you. If memory serves, you live in Texas, right? I lived there as a kid and I honestly can't remember meeting friendlier people anywhere.

    Great Fun Monday! Things got away from me this week and I missed out, but I'm enjoying reading everyone else's submissions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the story about the men and the tire...good for them! Now that is what the holidays are all about!

    Love your song choices too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sang a O Holy Night solo once, too! It's my favorite song. I saw Martina McBride sing it acapella at the Grand Ole Opry and the hair stood up on my neck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute Santa. Glad you got home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a heart warming Story of the Three gracious gentlemen. Love the Santa, bet your collection is pretty impressive. What an honor to sing Oh Holy Night solo, sure you sang it proud! Thanks for gift, I will be sure to post it on my blog. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  16. WE just went to a very SURPRISE viewing of The Nutcracker last night! We thought we were walking into some little rinky dink ballet school version --- turned out to be The National Ballet of the Ukraine! It was FABULOUS! I do hope you get to get tickets and go see it... ANY version is good.

    The Warner Theater in DC right now has a mildly political view of it - with George Washington playing the Nutcracker, and England's King George II playing the rat king! LOL! You know... DC... there's gotta be a twist! That's the Washington Ballet putting on that version!

    Sorry to hear Bud's under the weather -- hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for sharing your story of those 3 anonymous angels!

    'Must confess, were I in that predicament and approached by a stranger, instinctively I may have suspected an attempted robbery or even carjacking. (Pathetic, huh?)

    I so hope those gentlemen will spot your thanks in the paper and feel warmed indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such kindness! I am so happy they helped you.

    I love Christmas Eve In Sarajevo!! I posted the same video ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. three wise men bearing gifts! Or changing tires. Still an inspiration (:
    Great beginning to your Fun Monday post.

    I love those songs, too. As a family (four brothers, three sisters) we would sing the carol of the bells and have so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ah, that's what we mean by the Christmas spirit--happens throughout the year when least expected. I too got a bailout from a handsome young man who stopped at a convenience store when I was in there trying to get some help with a low tire. He fixed my tire and gave me a lesson so I could do my own the next time! Wish I'd asked for his mother's name so i could have called and told her what a fine son she raised.

    All the best to you and those you love this holiday season, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Snap, snap, snap! I LOVE Carol of the Bells. Love it, love it, love it!

    Did I make it clear just how much I love it??

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your Santa - I have a very small collection of them myself!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Santa and Christmas songs are wonderful, and I'm delighted that those three guys were there to provide assistance with your tire ... the spirit of good will in action for sure.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great story!

    I Love your santa. What a great memory.

    And those songs. I forgot about O Holy Night. Maybe I should have asked for our top 10!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My very first "Santa" was a "cheap/inexpensive" little ornament that the nurses hung in my son's incubator (he was a preemie) shortly before he came home. It has a special place on my tree (amongst the snowman) every year since that first one (he is 32 years old now). Love yours too. And my favorite carols, always make the hair stand up on the back of my neck, especially at the Christmas Eve service - they always end with Silent Night.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So wonderful to find great people when you are in need. I glad you were safe. I love I will be home for Christmas, for it was all hubby and I sang when were were working on the road. I love all my santa I collect every year for my tree, and a musical egg that plays Silent Night.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your story makes me want to believe in the Three Wise Men. How wonderful to hear stories like this one, Anni!

    Love your Xmas songs!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. God bless them! It's at moments like these that we feel that kindness and humanity are not lost, not yet.
    I loved reading about your Santa and your choice of songs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's nice to know there are still people in the world who will lend a helping hand. May they be blessed this holiday season and thanks for sharing such a heart warming story. Happpy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete

.