my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out






Join Here

This week, the theme is 'ruin' or ruined. Since we're both history buffs around here, we always find ways of driving around where we live and tour the ruins. When we resided in Arizona it was/and is a great state to just take a road, any road, and you'll find a lot of historical value. Some quite unknown to 'tourists'. But this particular ruin is quite famous to those who know the Sonoran Desert Area....

Between the two Arizona cities of Phoenix and Tucson, just off Interstate 10, you come upon a small town known as Casa Grande [pronounced CAWsa GRAWNday]. And on the outskirts of the small burg, as you drive with cotton fields on either side of you, you will find some Native American Ruins. The photos here that I scanned from my Arizona Albums shows you the "Big House", which if you're able to speak or read and comprehend Spanish, it's Casa Grande. It is under the roofed shelter for the sole purpose of protecting it against the monsoon season for the fact that the fierce rains and high winds would play a significant part in its erosion.

It is now a National Monument of great historical value in the Southwest United States....






- - -


....and now, the history lesson:


Pictured here is the Casa Grande, or "Big House," as it may have appeared around 1350 C.E. One of the largest prehistoric structures ever built in North America, its purpose remains as much a mystery as the people who built it. Archeologists have discovered evidence of wide-scale irrigation farming and trade which lasted over a thousand years and ended about 1450. Today the ancient ones are remembered as the "Hohokam," [pronounced ho HOKE um] an O'odham [pronounced oh OH dum] word meaning "Those Who Are Gone."


The Hohokam abandoned the Casa Grande area around 1450 C.E., leaving no written language behind. Historic accounts of the Casa Grande begin with the journal entries of Padre Eusebio Francisco Kino when he visited the ruins in 1694. In his description of the large ancient structure before him, he wrote the words “casa grande” (or “great house”) which are still used today. [Padre Kino pictured] read more.....

41 comments :

  1. Awesome my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think so too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautiful - so evocative!

    I love the textures of "ruined"! Here's mine:

    http://flamingofotos.blogspot.com

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these old historic ruins! These are great photos for The Hunt. And thanks for the information too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is it about ruins that's so attractive. they're ruined after all, heee heee heee. beautifully so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THta must have been an impressive house in its day. the ruins are a greta reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cant seem to explain but for me history keeps me more interested especially when accompanied by pictures such as this. great entry ani! happy photo hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting...love to learn about history and wonder about life at other times...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. superbe photo, merci du passage et du commentaire

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anni...just zipping over to see your ruins. Haha but hey theya re excellent images and the history associated with them most interesting. I did my John Wayne drawl to get the names right (tis difficult for an aussie to get that otherwise) and really appreciated the pronunciation help.
    Re my ruin...we are seeing signs of the pre ruin struggle, so many houses for sale, luxery items being advertised on poles and boats in front yards with for sale signs.
    Im lovin' photohunter. Nice to meet you.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Annie - your post reminds me of The History Channel programs. Very informative :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love going to see the Native American ruins some of my favorites are in Mesa Verde (Cortez Colorado). Perfect for this weeks theme.

    Oh and I love your new template!

    Have a great weekend!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  13. How neat to live near such historical treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Interesting post! Definitely an awesome ruins and great that they made it a national monument. Learned something new each day!

    Thanks for the visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Casa Grande seems like my type of place to visit, full of natural wonders, beauty and history :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great photos for this weeks hunt!
    Excellent post I enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos. I went a different direction with the theme. I went to ruined, and its a story of stupidity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. that is one ruined theme with lots of history....love it

    thanks for dropping by my hunt too. :)

    happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for such an excellent history lesson!! The Iroquois here in the East left few ruins, mostly because their structures were made of bark and grass, which decayed in our moisture-laden areas. The Native American histories are so mysterious.

    I did Photo Hunt today, too. I hope you get a chance to visit and leave your link!
    http://newyorktraveler.net/photo-hunters-ruined/

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful fotos. I'd like to visit such places some day. Thank you also for the history, makes ever more interesting.
    And thank's for visiting.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's the first time I see a ruin with a roof over it to protect it!
    Interesting history this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's some marvelous shots. Beautiful and perfect for the photohunt theme. :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, Anni, you are so lucky to have seen these and taken photos. I would love to visit this place. Being the history buff that I am, I would have been ecstatic. Thank you so much for sharing.

    Have a terrific day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. We are leaving tomorrow and headed that direction, though we will not likely get as far south as Casa Grande, we will see many ruins before we reach Phoenix for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great photos. Very interesting subject. Thanks for sharing them.

    Mine's here

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very interesting! Nice photo's. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So many different layers to 'ruin(ed)" this week. These are great photos. Come by and visit me sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photos and I enjoyed reading the history too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i just had my dose of history lessons and i'm set for my learn something new everyday! LOL

    i visit for the wonderful photos and i get to have some readings too! thanks for the info. :-)

    nice seasonal template!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a wonderful post, Anni. Thanks for the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Interesting. I love how this photohunt I've gotten to see ruins from all over the world. It's like having a mini-history channel.

    ReplyDelete
  32. interesting..i like history too and the historical account of the picture is good:)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice take and good history lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Anni - I'm Joyce from A Cup of Joe With a View that you just added to the Blogger over 50 roll. Thanks and I love your Turkey background. My husband and I have always wanted to travel the old Route 66 from its beginning at the Chicago Art Institute to California. Thanks for the Casa Grande photos.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Those are beautiful ruins. Thanks for sharing that interesting piece of history. It's always great to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  36. very impressive piece of art and architecture...I've learned a lot today from your post:) thanks for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've been there too! I loved your post even if I arrived a couple of days late.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  38. Historical ruins always fascinated me. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful entry with beautiful photos. I love seeing ruins like that. Thanks for visiting mine and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm so late returning your visit - it's been a busy time!
    I love all this history. It must have taken so much effort to build the "Casa Grande", and the remains have lasted for so long. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  41. love your subjects! beautiful ruins indeed!

    ReplyDelete

.