my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




My Fun Monday salute to Veterans is below...scroll down.







Hootin' Anni's Book Review, Monday Morsels





This week, my Monday blog is a bit different in the fact that I chose to give a book review of my own opinion of the book that took me all summer to read. Yes, two Sundays ago, I finally finished; I completed the book...all 1168 pages of it. It only took me from June to November to read it. It's actually a 'three-books-in-one' novel.

It was first published in 1957. And it remains a heavily sought after work of fiction. Especially with the economics classes along with literature fields. The characters are strong mostly; some are weak and tend to lend a comedic relief in such a serious topic. Even after two weeks now that I've completed the book, it still lingers in my mind.

I, of course, do NOT want to give anything away, but throughout there is a question. A question that is answered - or is it? You must read to find out. Along with the characters, there is a strong setting. A setting of suspense, a setting of familial happenstance[s], of greed, construction and destruction. Strikes, deserters, looters, moochers, teachers, students, scientists, a whole society. Some are warped, while others remain keen and unflinching throughout. There is riches. There is tokens of greatness. High self-esteem, secrets, disappearances, deaths...it's filled with intrigue.

I found it quite ironic that tho it was written and composed and printed in the 1950's, and probably no doubt it had its share of criticisms and thoughts of banning back then to us readers....but the book, througout, remains in my mind because of the fact that the way the plot runs; it could well have taken place in today's times!!! It's so unrealistic in that aspect. Unrealistic for me in a shocking way. Not that it's not realistic. It's ironic. I guess you have to read the book to understand what I'm trying to convey.

I hear that they are making a movie from this novel. I just don't see how in the world it could be even CLOSE to following the book without being a five hour movie...at least! Altho, I HAVE envisioned the main characters ---at least TWO. I have Antonio Banderas playing Francisco...through the entire book! It just has to be Antonio. {LOL} And Dagny? The female lead character? Thank goodness I heard that Angelina Jolie quit the movie production. She just DOESN'T fit the character; she would have been SO WRONG. Again, throughout the book as I read ---Dagny should be played by Jennifer Connelly. Okay...so, you can say it: "Anni's weird". In all honesty, I think they'd be wiser if they would produce and commit to making this a TV miniseries like Roots! Or Rich Man, Poor Man...or on the way of Thorn Birds. They'd make more money. Oops...money...that's all part of Atlas Shrugged too.

I tried several times to get this book from the public library since it's expensive in the bookstores...it was $22.00 for a paperback/softcover!!! But after so many telling me just how excellent it is, I broke down and bought my own copy through Barnes and Noble using an online 30% off coupon. And believe me, it is worth EVERY penny spent. I'm keeping this one. To re-read over and over.

Let me leave you with just a snippet --a teaser-- of what's inside the book covers:
    ..."An animal is equipped for sustaining its life; its senses provide it with an automatic code of action, an automatic knowledge of what is good for it or evil. It has no power to extend its knowledge or to evade it. In conditions where its knowledge proves inadequate, it dies. But so long as it lives, it acts on its knowledge, with automatic safety and no power of choice, it is unable to ignore its own good, unable to decide to choose the evil and act as its own destroyer.

    Man has no automatic code of survival. His particular distinction from all other living species is the necessity to act in the face of alter-natives by means of volitional choice. He has no automatic knowledge of what is good for him or evil, what values his life depends on, what course of action it requires. ...." "Man must obtain his knowledge and choose his actions by a process of thinking, which nature will not force him to perform. Man has the power to act as his own destroyer...."


<><><>

I was tagged by Antoinette, and I've added myself to the sisterhood. Here are the rules:

1. Put the logo in your blog.

2. Add a link to the person who shared it with you.

3. Nominate at least 7 other blogs

4. Add your link to the list of participants below

5. Leave a message for your nominee on their blog.


I nominate anyone who wishes to join the internet sisterhood. Just click on the logo to enlarge it, save it, and copy the list. Don't forget to add your name. Then, pass it on if you choose to do so. Even if you don't want to tag anyone...grab the tag & put the button on your sidebar and invite anyone to join in with supporting the worthy research. Tho Breast Cancer Awareness Month is October, it is definitely something to continue supporting each and every day!!!


PINK Sisterhood





1- Fara 2- Massy 3- N.O.Y 4- Mariuca 5- A Great Pleasure 6- LadyJava 7- Kim 8- Pink Thoughts 9- Turn-u-Off 10- Roxiticus Desperate Housewives 11- STAY AT HOME MOM 12- Fida Abbott 13- Also Mommy 14- Janice Ng 15- Juliana’s Site 16- The Painted Veil 17- Heart of Rachel 18- Mga Muni-muni 19-Picture Clusters 20- Scraps of Mind 21- Antoinette 22 - Hootin' Anni - 23 YOU


<><><>



Also, one more thing today, the Fun Monday salute to Veterans with hostess Jan---
With pride of a United States Marine mom that I am...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! You're now 233 Years young!!
Ooooooooorah!!!


All U.S. Marines are gung-ho. But, few can match the vision and total commitment of the famous 13th Commandant, Gen. John A. Lejeune. In 1921 he issued Marine Corps Order No. 47, Series 1921. Gen. Lejeune's order summarized the history, mission, and tradition of the Corps. It further directed that the order be read to all Marines on 10 November of each year to honor the founding of the Marine Corps. Thereafter, 10 November became a unique day for U.S. Marines throughout the world.

- - -

To all Veterans around the world...thanks for protecting us in the past, now and in the future. You are remembered! Our freedom comes at a cost of lives, and we give thanks to those who fought for our country. I love and lost the 1st "Love of my Life" from High School....he was shot down in Viet Nam. His platoon sergeant told me in a letter, "Frank never knew what hit him". I still miss and still mourn the loss....tho he died in valor, I still feel it a waste of such a good life. I honor him today. [His name is on the great wall in Washington D.C. ---I cried so much at the time when I saw it, that I couldn't even touch his name]. Tomorrow, if I can get to scanning, I will have a much better post on all the VETS that I personally have the privilege of calling 'my own".

19 comments :

  1. You read Atlas Shruggedin just six months? Back around 1960 it took me over a year to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've heard so many people talking about that book. i've never read it myself. you make it sound intriguing, maybe i should read it... i personally don't think a movie can do a book justice. althought, everything's written before it becomes a screenplay, right?!?!? but, that's just what i think...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely tribute to our boys... I'm sorry for the loss of your first love. So many of them gone. The first time I went to DC and saw the wall, I just stood there and cried - it was so moving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni,

    Thank you for the book review on Atlas Shrugged. It certainly was a long read. I've haven't been able to find it at either the bookstores or the library, but will keep looking. I will find it eventually.

    Thank you for the information about the Marines. I have also posted a tribute to a group today. Remembrance Day is tomorrow here and I am going to try to find time to do a special post.

    Have a great day, my friend.
    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you my friend, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great FM post Anni...I am sorry you lost your first love, you made me get teary eyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy... I guess I'm gonna HAVE to get Atlas Shrugged now. It'll probably take ME 3 years to read it! But I guess it's gotta be done... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni - wow. As I (slowly) make my way to each FM participant's post, I am struck over and over by how each one of us has some personal connection with one or more veterans. I would love to see your followup post if you have the time, and I'd love to hear the story of your first love...if it's a story you can tell. If not, that's OK too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Powerful post today, Anni! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came for Fun Monday and sure got an eye-full. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The memorial in DC is one of those places that I'd love to visit. Having lived in the UK nearly all my life (and being relatively young) I haven't until recently had any experience of friends or loved ones going off to fight in conflict.
    Takes such courage to be the ones going and the ones left behind. Thanks so much for sharing your FM post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never did finished the book. Thank you for the salute to us Veterans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second misanthrope Anni. Are you able to tell us the story of your Vietnam soldier? We'd love to hear it.

    I read Atlas Shrugged many years ago but can't make any intelligent comment on your excellent review--too many gray cells ago. . .I am remembering the term "honey badger" from Rand. Was that also a novel or just an unflattering description for a woman character?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank God I haven't had to go through that...knowing a loved one that died in battle. I hope I never do. *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was a wonderful heart felt story. I left something on my blog for you if you wish.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I can't even imagine losing a loved one like that. It must have been hard. You brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many touching stories as well as informative information. I can only imagine how sad it was for you when you received the horrible news. There were so many lives lost in that war.

    p.s. love your blog! You have so many fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the thought of ‘Monday Morsels’ … very clever. I’m happy to add the ‘Pink Sisterhood’ to my sidebar along with the cute Breast Cancer Awareness poster I found at Alison’s a while back and asked for permission to post. She graciously agreed. I’ll check out the ‘sisterhood’ itself and see if I can manage one more thing. Ya know I’m a bit overwhelmed currently, right?

    I’m sorry for your loss. I’ve honored Veterans on both blogs today … adding a ‘belated’ Fun Monday to my Ruby Tuesday/HoTs post … multi-tasking as I frequently opt for.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  19. your post just inspired me to revised my HoT to include my husbands service.
    the men in your family, they all look handsome. nothing beats a man in uniform ...

    ReplyDelete

.