my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!






A couple of weeks ago, Mary at Mary's Writing Nook, tagged me with the Friend Meme Tag. I must admit that it totally slipped my mind...[I HAVE been eating too much fatty foods...guess that explains it...see, fat...greasy, slippery...oh well, if you need it explained to you, it wasn't that funny to begin with, now, was it?]

I'm to write about a friend of mine. Teri, of course, came to mind. She remains living in Colorado, hasn't moved out of the home she and her hubby bought in the 70's. Friends, through the years, MaryEllen, Carollynn, Reneé, Sharon, Patty [who is my kids' godmother] Tom, Bob, Tommy, Hank, Frank [died in Viet Nam]...all lifetime friends. Online friends, Mary of course, Melli, Nancy, Erlene, Pea, a whole slew of them...you're all considered friends. Then, family --yes, they're the best --Irene, Erik, Bud --my furbabies. Sister and brothers. A favorite aunt of mine...*another Mary. My dad...My mom....

But Teri, my one and only CLOSE school chum, my friend since the early 60s; well that isn't the friend I'm going to write about. My best friend EVER is long gone from this earth, but she remains so, and continues to guide me from her teachings and I'm still learning from her to this day -in reflection of our past....

She showed me the way to a good, happy healthy lifestyle from the very beginning of time. She confided in me with secrets of her youth that when I heard them from her, I listened with great interest. We were bonding. And we bonded even through the many years after I was married.

When, Bud drove by my home after following me from work one late evening, she was outside and I pointed the him and told her in confidence that someday I'd marry that man. She kept it our own little secret. Why? You wonder? Well, in all reality, Bud finally did ask me to marry him [obviously]; my best friend was told first. But, the secret lies within our 'friend' relationship. I asked her to keep this marriage proposal secret until Bud asked permission from my father. Permission for my hand in marriage. Bud wanted my father's approval first before anyone else knew of it...but my friend knew...and she kept it secret.

There were times when...

We shopped 'til we dropped. And believe it or not, tho she never got a driver's license, I used to let her drive my car around town. While I was with her. I remember one time driving down a street, nearly in the middle of town, she was behind the wheel....a highway patrol came to the red light, right beside us. My best friend panicked...I told her to "just relax and act like you've been driving for years now." When the light turned green, I looked over to the patrolman, and he smiled, tipped his hat and drove on. The panic never left my friend. She finally pulled off into a parking lot of a Hardee's restaurant, got out and came around, telling me "You better drive." We had a good story to share, unknown to anyone, and giggle when we knew what the two of us were talking about and no one else did.

It just went on like this forever. Girl to girl undisclosed happenstances, giggles, cooking fun, teaching each other things like, well......she taught me how to do a chain stitch with crochet hooks, and I went home from her house and began reading up on the new kinds of stitching and taught myself the rest. She was proud of my accomplishments. I ended up making her a pansy flowered afghan on her 60th birthday.

Through the years she remained my confidant, my guidance counselor, my teacher, my best friend. I wouldn't have traded friends with anyone...she was the best! And you know what? I still listen to her words of wisdom in my mind, tho she is gone. I continue to smile at my memories of her and the fun we had, along with the seriousness of life, tho we continued to enjoy each day we had together in so many ways....


- - -

Josephine at AniqueAnik also tagged me. I was more than happy to oblige. Here goes:



1. Do you have a broad sense of humor?
Yes, I think I do. If not, this world of mine would be quite boring!!


2. Is it possible to have a truth without an opinion?
TRUTH be told, if you want my opinion, yes...of course.


3. What amount of money would you shave your head for charity?
If someone were to say to me "If you shave your head, I give any amount of money you'd wish to a worthy charity". The whole concept would be wonderful...I'd do it in a heartbeat. The monetary issue here isn't important to me, it's the giving!! When I get a bad haircut, and I've had plenty that I've been disappointed with, I'd shave my head in nothing flat. I'd be happy to have no bad hair days for a long, long while! [I almost got my head shaved a few years back, I was able to sit on my hair, and because of the extreme humidity here on the coast, I had it braided and cut off ....gave the lock of hair to cancer charity.]


4. Do you find it easy to be totally honest with someone even though it might hurt their feelings?
Oh yes....what's the use of being dishonest? I'm in total agreement with this. Hurt feelings is one thing, but honesty is the best policy. Hurt feelings come and go...life is cruel sometimes, we need to accept that. It's not all bubble gum and fun, nor innocent.


5. When people you know are laughing to themselves while reading, do you ask them to share what is funny?

Sure!! I want in on the fun.


6. What stresses you out the most?
A loved one being stressed. Yep, that stresses me.


7. Could you go one full day without speaking?
Ummmmmmm, no. I think not.


8. Would you rather ask the question or answer it?

Probably ask. I tend to hem and haw when asked something.


9. What is the one thing that always makes you smile?
Hearing our cats snore! It just cracks me up.


10. Do you trust in love?
Most definitely. But there are all kinds of love tho...love of a human, love of art, love of life, love of a sport...many many kinds of love.


COMPOSE A FOOTNOTE: (comment)

Post a Comment

.