my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




My Sunday Memes below this 'memorial' --

In Memory of my favorite actor, Paul Newman. Died of cancer, Friday, at his home. Age 83. With his strong, classically handsome face and piercing blue eyes, Newman was a heartthrob just as likely to play against his looks, becoming a favorite with critics for his convincing portrayals of rebels, tough guys and losers. "I was always a character actor," he once said. "I just looked like Little Red Riding Hood." Newman had a soft spot for underdogs in real life, giving tens of millions to charities through his food company and setting up camps for severely ill children. Passionately opposed to the Vietnam War, and in favor of civil rights, he was so famously liberal that he ended up on President Nixon's "enemies list," one of the actor's proudest achievements, he liked to say.
The Rest of the Story

Photo of which I have a framed print: "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" -1969
He too was a strong believer in the Democratic Party of which I appreciated him even more.


Play along with your subconscious; Sunday's Word Association.
Join here.

I say ... and you think ... ?

  1. Hearing :: Loss
  2. Aggression :: Militancy
  3. Charged :: Battery
  4. Traveler :: Book by Richard Adams [one of my favorite reads, tho it's actually spelled with two "L"s!]
  5. Hydrate :: Drink -plenty of fluids [and call me in the morning? LOL]
  6. Detox :: Slang [for Detoxify]
  7. Qualify :: You're in!
  8. Prison :: Break [TV]
  9. Frontal :: Lobe
  10. Pep talk :: Rally


~...end of Mutterings
[comment here if you'd like to skip the rest of the blog]


<♥><♥><♥>



JOIN HERE


This sunset photo on the Bayfront in the city was taken during the colder winter months. As with all winter sunsets, there are more mauves, purples, and pinks because of the 'frost and ice' in the atmosphere. I love the sun's reflection on the water, peeking through the boats' mastheads...and the ripple of the mastheads on the calm bay. Anyway, I always thought this would make a super jigsaw puzzle!!! CAN BE ENLARGED & open in a new window for the 'full' beauty of it all!

~...end Sunrise Sunset Meme
[comment here if you'd like to skip the rest of my blog]


<♥><♥><♥>




Politics again. I was sent this from the Obama for President, through my email, and I searched and searched for it on CNN's website but was unable to find it. So I did a view source from my email and found the embedded code and wanted to share it here. For reasons of a grand uncertainty in our country and that has escalated world wide. The Wall Street Financial Crisis....

I'm wondering secretly just why McCain would even think of 'bowing out' on the campaigning for election because of all the hoopla and dire straits of the country's and global crisis. Is he really needed to make the difference in Wall Street? Or is he more interested in he himself losing his invested gains in turn making the ignorant think he's 'for the people'? Question is: Do not the American voters AND the world leaders have a right to know just WHAT, as president, how both would handle not just this, but OTHER crises or country security or what's in it as a whole for the next four years? What they would do? How the situation[s] would be handled. Mr. Obama's press conference impressed me. Once again, he seems to be executive material. His words were promising...but of course, I must also say to myself: talk is cheap. Thing is...all the promises [on both parties, Republican and Democrat] has to go through congress for approval and in doing so, it may not be what you think it will be for our future.

Again, my very first thought of this [and Bud and I, years ago, predicted a fall-out crisis in the country's financial situation sooner or later; what with the housing costs skyrocketing and then insuring those 'expensive homes' in hopes of selling at a profit --or gasoline and fuel because of labor unions wanting more pay for less work...or oil companies' execs actually 'running the country' and price gouging...another Great Depression in the works] "Why should the American taxpayers flip the bill and bail the CEO and financial gurus out when the thing is --AIG -a huge insurance company- wants Americans to help them out", when I hear things like "Allstate isn't going to cover our damages from Katrina, Rita, and now Ike because it's 'An act of God' or 'This isn't considered 'living space' because a garage-storage area holding washers, dryers, refrigerators, office supplies, etc. etc. was uplifted and blown apart with damage that was catastrophic, you don't actually live in the area of the home". Also, wind insurance along the coast of our great country is plain, downright, unaffordable to more than 90% of the population, so by no means do they, the home owners or apartment dwellers, have a satisfactory gut feeling when they watch storms off the coast heading their way.

Also, in my mind anymore, just plain and simple..."Why have insurance?" FEMA is no good. Insurance doesn't pay. Banks are closing. Where do we go and what do we do? Again, why bail them out with OUR money? I LIKE WHAT OBAMA SAID IN HIS SPEECH!! He said in so many words, if the citizens bail out Wall Street, they will be treated as investors and get their money back. Sounds good on paper...but I still have doubts that congress would approve of such a burdensome atrocity of actually considering the tax payer. I'm compelled to ask this also: "Who has more knowledge of the American 'commoner'? McCain? Who owns more homes than he can recall? Or Obama who has had to live as the 'poor folk', struggling through the years?" John McCain may have more knowledge of military and diplomatic stance, but we as citizens of a growing poorer by the minute nation, need someone who knows more of economic crises, and is willing to talk to us and guide us through ALL situations, not just 'war' securities. Obama is for those who WORK and strive for a living, not how we can make the rich richer and forget the majority of us who have an American Dream...It's his word that I stand by....



Also, my point on why do we buy insurance? Doling our monthly premiums for decades and not getting anything back when we actually need it? Why not just [if god forbid] there is damage to the house --why not just have the work done from a bidder/contractor up until you can finish yourself, and charge it ---then make the 'premium' payments for TWO years instead of a lifetime like you'd have to do for insurance policies that are outdated within a year?

After watching the 1st televised debate on Friday night; once McCain decided he'd better show along with Obama....Obama said when he found out that McCain wanted to postpone or even step AWAY from the Friday night's debate, because of the issue on Wall Street, that "We [meaning McCain or himself] as president, must be able to multi-task. Not step down from one crisis to avoid or ignore another." But, the debate went on. And as I watched and nearing the end of the session, I felt that Obama was much stronger. McCain actually worked in circles, not even answering the questions given to them to respond to...He started out answering then, before his two minutes were up, he'd be telling the country just 'who he knew here, who he knew there'...but evading on the issue of what he'd DO as president! We MUST move forward, not live off memories of what it was years ago. We are to LEARN by the mistakes of this country's leaderships yes, but not relive it!! Anyway, the debate is shown in its entirety [in three parts] on my campaign blog which you'll find the link on my sidebar. And afterward, I stayed around to see the reaction and watch the entailed polls skyrocket toward the favor of Obama!!!

22 comments :

  1. That is beautiful Anni! Love your shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RIP Paul Newman what a wonderful person the world has lost....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul Newman was not just one HUNK of a gorgeous man - he was just a good, kind, caring, wOnderful human being! I don't think the man had an immoral bone in his body. His passing is a great loss to our world ... but his legacy will live on!

    Gorgeous sunset! I love the inclusion of the boats! (of course i do...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice tribute to Paul Newman. Great mutterings answers too - we matched on #9. Have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard about Paul Newman's death yesterday evening. It's sad, just another actor of my teenage years disappeared ! He was such a nice man. Your sunset picture is also very beautiful. It must be a lovely place.
    I really don't know what has to be done for the financial situation of America. It has become the country with the most debts worldwide and that already before this crises. Stopping the war would be one economy and cut these horrendous salaries of the administrators !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    I was saddened when I heard that Paul Newman had died. We are losing many of our old entertainers who knew what entertainment was really about. There's not many left. :-(

    The photo of the sunset is awesome. I love the hues of mauves and pinks. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    I didn't get a chance to see this speech by Obama, but I did see the Presidential debate. I was very impressed with Obama. He spoke fluently and I like how he kept referring to the "People on Main Street." If I had the opportunity to vote, I would vote for Obama. I think he will make a great President.

    On the other hand McCain reminded me of a "Good Ol' Boy" - a follower, not a leader. He, in my opinion, is wishy washy and didn't answer direct questions by either the host or Mr. Obama.

    I'm keeping my eye open for the Canadian debate. It should be soon. We go to the polls for a federal election on October 13th. Whoever gets in will be Prime Minister the following day. I don't care for any of the candidates and this will be the first time in my life that I haven't voted for one particular party. A real change for me and I'm undecided at present.

    I enjoyed visiting with you, as always. Take time to enjoy your day. I have work to do upstairs.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni, love your site and the Halloween decorations. You always do such a great job! I'm glad there's a bailout deal on the table (George Stephanopolous is on right now) because something has to be done. Whether it should be this is questionable but can we not do anything? The problem on Wall Street will reach down to Main Street if we allow Wall Street to flounder. Robert Reich called it extortion. But we are in a crisis. Don't think it's just big CEOs and investors who are in financial trouble... eventually it will be all of us. Pensions, 401Ks, mortgages, etc. will be gone if we don't do anything now. We hope that there are regulations, protections for taxpayers in the bailout. I think we'll get a chance to see and read the proposal tomorrow. "For too long the people on Wall Street have been unregulated." That's a quote from Robert Reich. Let's hope things are going to turn around, Anni. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the waterfront photo! Okay...I won't take it...I can follow simple directions. Great pic.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your Qualify the most, it's like somebody is saying to me "You're in!" and that's awesome! :p

    Happy mutterings to you Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful sunset and good mutterings... Great Sunday post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I posted something about Mr Newman as well it is not as eloquent as yours. I did the you say I think as well it is up on my site.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have a good week....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great mutterings. We matched on #3 and #8. I LOVE your answer for #4 - that is SUCH a great book. I haven't read it in years. I need to go find it again now. Thanks for reminding me about it. ^_^
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m saddened by the loss of Paul Newman as well. As for ‘muttering’ … you and I agree on SEVERAL responses this week. Beautiful sunset and insightful observations about the election and our countries financial mess.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post!

    Before I forget:
    You can find my mutterings ::here::.

    The fact that Obama and McCain ended equal in the opinionpolls means that Obama isn't as inexperienced as some think.

    About bailing the banks out.
    It was also done in 1999. But many have forgotten.
    And now things are even worse.

    In..I think it was...eh...Sweden? Well, one of the scadinavian countries, they bailed out the banks only when they agreed to be nationalised, so the money they earned later could flow back into the public pocket.
    I think that's a fair way to deal with it.

    I think loaning money to people with bad credit should be forbidden unless they will be forced to follow a program of debt repair.

    And I wonder of economics, mini-midi-macro, is part of the curriculum of american schools.

    Kids should learn how to spend their money.
    Certainly not on cars when they're 16, or on products to show off.

    Thanks for visiting.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Performance is viewed from the viewpoint of the beholder. We all see different things to uphold our own beliefs. I could spend 2000 words supporting the opposite view--but I will just cast my vote and let the chips fall. The sad thing is, we'll all pay for the wrong outcome.
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi again, Anni. :-)

    RE: your comment on my blog: I looked for an email address for you but couldn't find one. I have some pictures of my afghans that I could send you if you'd like to share your email address.

    My email: lenadianejennings@yahoo.com

    xoxoxo

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful picture of the waterfront!

    I liked Paul Newman too.

    Anni! The Chiefs just won their first game of the season! In fact we had LOST 12 games in row! No kidding!!! So this great! Of course we beat your team but I will take it! It sure feels good to break that losing streak!! Hugs, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  19. That should read "This is Great!!" And I reread it too! I hate it when I do this!! Grams

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know, to me it seems like Obama is for the people first and McCain is for big business.

    ReplyDelete

.