my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


First and foremost today, I would like to tell you ALL of my great appreciation for the thoughts and caring you've shown in your comments and emails about our safety during the Hurricane Watch and Ike! Thank you all...you've touched my heart! Truly. The outlook NHC map for today --- Also, for those that I've contacted, your award is below.



Edition 74




Dubbed "Trials of the Centuries"
[all bold are links - opening in a new window]

1] Harry K. Thaw [1906]
2] Sassco & Vanzetti [1920s]
3] Leopold and Loeb [1924]
4] Scopes 'monkey' trial [1925]
5] Lindbergh kidnapping (1932)
6] The Nuremberg Trials (1945)
7] Adolf Eichmann trial (1961)
8] Klaus Barbie trial (1987)
9] Imelda Marcos racketeering trial (1990)
10] Nicolae Ceausescu trial (1989)
11] O. J. Simpson murder trial (1995)
12] Slobodan Milošević trial (2002-2005)
13] Remember USA's times Trial of the Century? (see #11) The dubbed title of the murder trial? Ummmmm, the superstar hero of football fame? You know the guy, right? He was in the news along with his drama stars for lawyers? Reminiscent of a night time soap opera? Well, jury selection begins again. Soon another trial begins. Again. And again, it's gonna be HIM!

I'm wondering just how much coverage he's going to receive on the networks and from the press...again!

God help us.

Already there seems to be gobs of hoopla over this:

The stakes are high. Simpson and Stewart have pleaded not guilty to the charges, which include burglary, coercion and assault with a deadly weapon. A robbery conviction would mean mandatory prison time. A kidnapping conviction carries the possibility of life in prison with the possibility of parole. Four of the men who accompanied Simpson — C. C, W. A, M. Mc. and C. E. — pleaded to lesser felony charges and agreed to testify for the prosecution. But Simpson defense attorney Y*le Galant*r got Al*xander to admit that he would have slanted his testimony in Simpson's favor if the price was right. "Al*xander offered to sell his testimony to the highest bidder," Galant*r said as he prepared for trial. He promised to expose troubled backgrounds of the witnesses lined up against Simpson. "This is a cast of very nefarious characters," Galant*r said. "And the truth is, these items were not memorabilia. The law has always provided a right, dating back to our founding fathers, to recover personal property." I think: "Nefarious characters?" Oh my. I need to get my legal pad out for this one. And take notes!! It's like it's going to be the Wizard of ummmmm, Vegas? And the wicked warlock nefarious! And I'm sure that L*fetime Network is trying to buy the rights so they can produce a top rated made for TV movie as I type. I'm awaiting this with bated breath....NOT!!
Could this be our #13 -Trial of the new century?
[photo courtesy of Y*hoo News]

~...end Thursday Thirteen
[to skip awards below, COMMENT Here]


<><><>

In the last week I've received some marvelous gifts. I call them gifts because they are given to me from the heart. My peer bloggers think of me in a way that makes me feel good...good all under! And I love each and every one!

Now these two following just made me speechless humbled! On a day like yesterday, like no other, you made me honored. Both of you. And I give thanks....

On Monday storyteller handed me this:



- - -

On Tuesday morning I received this:



Kristine Kate at Life and Love honored me with this beautiful award, and she left me speechless with her comment for her reason gifting me with such honor. I copy what she had on her blog. And because of the way it's presented to me, I am going to pass this one on! [translation follows]*

Thank you, thank you! You have certainly humbled me with your thoughts of me and your kindness!!

Kristine posts:
    "They all are charmed with the blogs, where in the majority of its aims are to show the marvels and to do friendship; there are persons who are not interested when we give them a prize and then they help to cut these bows; do we want that they are cut or that they propagate? Then let's try to give more attention to them! So with this prize we must deliver it to 8 bloggers that in turn must make the same thing and put this text.


    I want to present this award to my following blogger friends along with the reasons:

    1. You
    2. Will
    3. Have to
    4. Visit her
    5. To see
    6. All the other bloggers
    7. - My favorite blogger!
    8. She bestowed this gift!!

    Thanks! I'm glad I met all of you once in my life journey..."


As this last award's statement, I am wanting to pass --pay it forward to those who have brought me laughter, joy and friendship through blogging. Tho I don't visit some on a daily basis, I find myself returning over and over again because their style of writing in their blogs is always rewarding!! -- This, on to eight as asked of me, I choose:
    Mary for her friendship and loving generosity
    Charlotte for her compassion, and spirit
    Denise for her inspirational strength & powerful messages
    Gattina for her wit and charm
    Jen for her devotion to family & Down-to-Earth blog [private]
    Mary for her American Pride and meme work
    Diane for her joy in cooking! Not to forget her quick, jocular way
    Pea for her generosity and loving blog style


I can only do eight?


Wait! Don't go...One more! Please!! I love storyteller's style also. I can't leave her out. I love her poetry and haiku. There are so many others. I'm hoping that these eight I chose will do the same and pass this on to others that I know would be on my list too!

*to translate the gift from Portuguese to English, it means:
"This blog invests and believes the proximity"
[meaning, that blogging makes us 'close' -being close through proxy]
A LOVELY sentiment!!


<><><>

I've also added from Blogger's Gadget/Widget page elements the "Followers" of my Blog. It's on my sidebar. If you'd like to sign up to follow my blog...just click away!

46 comments :

  1. Simpson is looking mighty mean these days.

    Thanks for this snapshot of history. It's amazing what becomes important by way of the courthouse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting how the most remembered trials actually echo what fascinated society at that time.
    It's almost a social history. Hence, today we're fascinated by celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, I could live another day without hearing any more about OJ Simpson. I feel so very very bad for his children. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni, thanks so much for the award! I'm so appreciative! I will post about it as soon as I can (Hopefully on Friday!)Now I want to go and click on the "Following Your Blog" widget. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an interesting list!! I too could go without ever hearing the name OJ Simpson again. I lived in So Cal during that time frame and that's ALL you heard about!! Stay safe - I hope IKE peter's out and misses you all together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a terrific idea for a list. I should familiarize myself with them as some of them I've never heard of before. But O.J. I can not believe there will be another trial with him.

    Good stuff and thought provoking...here is my TT list:

    p.s. here is my TT list:

    http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2008/09/house-is-machine-for-living-in-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the awards.I have added the follers widget as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More like farce of the century!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the beautiful award. I love it. I have already put it on my sidebar. It will be a couple of days before I acknowledge it on my blog. I don't want you to think I have forgotten about it. Congats to you for both awards. You certainly have an award winning blog. Hopefully the hurricane is still missing you.
    Hugs,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so sweet my friend. I love you, and your blog. Thanks for passing this wonderful award on to me, I will definitely pass it on. Please stay safe, you are very much in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember #11 the best. When they read the verdict for OJ, I almost fell over. Great list. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OJ tops them all for trial of the last century for sure!

    My TT is up here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good post. Most people don't realize that the OK Corral Inquest in Nov, 1881, was one of the first high profile trials, covered by media from all over the US.

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am familiar with most of those trials listed...wonder what will happen in the new OJ trial? Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The scopes Trial just had to be sick to watch. Typical, we miss history and get OJ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stay safe from Ike, Anni! We'll all be waiting to hear from you next week.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awww, thank you so much for the sweet words and the award, Anni. I'm touched to be honored, and in such good company too! I count several of the other honorees as good friends. :-)

    And I'm especially touched that you took the time to pass on these awards considering the fact that you may already be evacuating. Last report on the Weather Channel has Ike making landfall just barely to the West of Houston.

    Be safe, dear friend. I pray for safety for you and yours and for your home and property to be unharmed.

    Update us when you can. I'll worry about you until I heard from you.

    Love, hugs and prayers,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great list! It's amazing how many "Trials of the Century" there are. It seems there's at least one every decade.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As soon as I saw Sassco and Vanzetti I started humming an old folk song about them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are very much in my thoughts. I am praying that you are safe sweetie. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mayyang9/11/2008

    hi...just dropped by...i just read your entry!

    i do love your entry..nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Annie, guess what I'll be doing next after reading this....yep...I'm googling the trials. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you are well and Ike went another way !!

    Congratulations to these nice awards and I am very happy that you thought about me to pass it over ! Thank you so much !
    To your TT, of course I remember these trials and honnestly the Simpson trial was a shame and now again !!! There are really two justices the one with and the one without money !
    Sad, sad !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sorry it is not Riccardo, it is me, Gattina ! I had created a blog with his email, just to upload pictures, lol ! and I am busy with uploading !

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on those wonderful awards!!
    Hope you and yours stay safe over the weekend, Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hope you can stay where you are an Ike vanishes in thin air! Congrats on the awards.
    I know the famous trials, interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  27. uhhm ... it's somehow strange to read your hometown on the list,but I can't change history, only try to make things better for the future. And as I live about a mile away from the court where #6 took place, I'm always reminded!

    Happy TT and Greets
    Julia

    Oh and by the way - I still think he did it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hmmm … I meant to check in yesterday afternoon, but got sidetracked trying to catch up from being away from home all day Tuesday. I’ll have to return to check out ‘the trial links’ another time … though I’m aware of most of these already (other than numbers 1 and 10). I’ve got my PSE6 class today ya know. As for Simpson … he’s already HAD his ‘trial of the century’ as far as I’m concerned and I’m willing to let ‘karma’ take it’s course w/o investing any more energy on his life. I guess I'll need to check out what this 'follow gadget' is when time permits, but not right now. Congratulations on your awards … thanks so much for the linky-love … and for adding me to your list of eight. I’m honored to be included and humbled by your praise. You remain in my prayers as Ike approaches. Do take care …
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on your awards, you are so deserving. Your 13 are interesting as usual. I think it was Perry Mason who got me so interested in trials. I will be back to read them all, except maybe OJ, I will tune in for his execution though. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting TT. Hopefully this time OJ will get what he deserves. I posted mine HERE if you get a chance to stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good morning Anni, congratulations on your awards and gifts..You should be awarded a crown for being the Queen of our blog land....I am praying for your safety from Ike.... Take care.. hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm still praying for you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am pretty much news iliterate, so I don't know much about these~ but
    Happy TT! Mine is up here and I would love a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anni,

    Your Thursday Thirteen were very interesting. I can't believe that OJ is back in the news. It seems he gets more media coverage than anyone in history. LOL

    You are so deserving of the awards and I'm honored that you passed one on to me. Our friendship is special - we have a lot in common and are more like sisters than friends.

    Praying that Ike stays his distance from you and that all of those in his path remain safe.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  35. The Leopold and Loeb case has always fascinated me. Have you seen the Hitchcock movie "Rope?"

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anni,
    I did create a link from my latest post, regarding Ike.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What great awards that you have received. I am just concerned for you during this coming hurricane. Please leave if they think that you should..Okay!! off to the grocery store. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  38. I posted the award, Anni! And passed it on to other great bloggers! Thanks so much again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I hope you're okay! I heard today from my Sis in law that her stepmom and her kids had to leave Houston -

    I had to make my blog private because of a very unfortunate situation in our lives right now. But I don't want to lose my friends, so am opening it to any of you who want to join in. I will really miss drop-in visitors, but I have to do tnis for now.

    So, if you want to read me, please send me your e-mail address to me at dawn.carlson@colostate.edu. If you hear of or from anyone else who wants to join in, please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I cringe at the thought of another OJ Simpson trial. I remember the other debacle quite well...I'm ashamed to say I'd sit there for hours listening to the ummmmmm so called trial...it was better than any soap opera! lol I am NOT intending on even following this one!! I've got much better things to do:-)

    Congratulations on your well deserved awards my dear friend and thank you SO much for passing the one on to me. You don't know how much it means to me that you enjoy my blog as much as I enjoy yours. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    Anni, this coming weekend when I have more time I'll add the blogroll for the Over 50 club and will let you know when I've done so:-) Hope you're keeping safe!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yes, we are all worried about you. Everytime I see the weather on the news I wonder "is Hootin Annie alright". Keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  42. 5,9,11 are very familiar...I need to look up details for the others. Thanks for sharing and happy tt!
    http://www.apooobooks.com/2008/09/11/thursday-thirteen-7head-class-childhood-playground-activities/

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anni, I hope you don't get any damage from the expected hurricane. Most of all, I hope are kept safe from bodily injury.

    I am interested to see how much media coverage O.J. Simpson will get this time. He just can't seem to stay out of trouble, can he?

    Stay safe and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations on your awards, Anni. You deserve those.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow Anni, I'm feel totally honored and speechless! However, I need to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this blog. I don't know what I did to deserve this, but it means so much more coming from you! So, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

    P.S. I'm sorry it took me so long to come and find this treasure! I will get it posted shortly! You are a gem! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wow Anni, I feel totally honored and speechless! However, I need to thank you from the bottom of my heart for this blog. I don't know what I did to deserve this, but it means so much more coming from you! So, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

    P.S. I'm sorry it took me so long to come and find this treasure! I will get it posted shortly! You are a gem! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

.