my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!





Trivia, huh? Which reminds me of a student's answer on a history quiz:
Solomon had three hundred wives and seven hundred porcupines.
and
The first world war, caused by the assignation of the Arch-Duck by an anahist, ushered in a new error in the anals of human history.

Mama Drama ladies are our hosts this week for Fun Monday. And we have a doozie category this week! A "Fun" one, and I can't wait to sit and read what others have for their trivia remembered.....
Are you ready for the topic?

    Here goes:
    Remember way back in elementary school when you had to do a report on James Garfield, the 20th President of the United States and you told the class all about how he was shot after only four months in office? You also remember that he recovered after a week, but doctor's continued to probe at the healed wound causing complications and resulting in his death almost three months later? Okay, we all knew that about Garfield, but you also remember that James Garfield could write with both hands at one time and in different languages.!!! Why do you remember that? Maybe for you it wasn't James Garfield, but somewhere in your past education, you picked-up some little bit of useless information that you've never forgotten.

    What funny trivial fact do you remember that you probably should have forgotten a long time ago?


This was a particular thing that I learned in Biology. Biology was one of my favorite subjects in school. Not to mention one hunk of a teacher! Mr. Robert Webb. Oh yummy! Come to think of it, that in itself is a bit of trivia that should have been long forgotten...his name. But, yep, I still remember his name, AND his dark, handsome features. I was so into that class. Sitting in the front row [normally, being the class clown, I'd sit in the back!] Okay, now, where was I?

Oh yes...science.

We were doing the human anatomy. Learning names of muscles, bones, functions, differences in the male/female bone structure, etc. etc. etc. When we came to studying the human brain, I was enthralled. And the trivia I remembered was a section of the brain.

The story begins after I had married tho. Just so you can have a background of my trivia coming up later in the blog today.

When I first married Bud, and he was trying to continually impress me with his book smarts [back then, I wasn't much of a reader on history as I am today]. He was talking about some dude from History of America. His name was General George Armstrong Custer. I said something to him like "Who's he?". He of course, was flabbergasted that I graduated with a diploma and still never heard of him. Well, I said whooptie doo to that nonsense. Like, how am I gonna use Custer in my life? Why should I learn about him? [I did tho, a LOT! --for instance a bit of trivia that I can now remember and won't forget is: George Custer and Libby married on February 9th 1864. Of course that's easy to remember because February 9th is my birthday!] You don't know how many times we've traveled to Custer's Battlefield - now known as Little Bighorn Battlefield, in Montana! [why I even went as far as purchasing a piece of land IN the battlefield and put the deed in Bud's name! It was a Christmas present. Long long ago.] Okay, that WAS a bit of nonsense trivia about the marriage date of the two, but that wasn't where I was headed now, was it?

Science, Biology, Mr. Webb, human anatomy.

While the two of us were wrestling and goofing off [Bud and I, not the teacher and I!], he took his elbow right into my neck! Tho it didn't hurt...I milked it! I stopped reaching for his arms...and grasped my neck! [now keep in mind he's a history buff and always trying to impress me with his knowledge---] I grabbed my neck and hissed and oooooo-ed and ahhhhhh-ed like I was in terrible pain! Of course, Bud was startled! He immediately rolled off and sat up with fear in his eyes and expression. I said: "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, my medulla oblongata!!!" "The pain! Owie...."

Ha!!! I had him by the balls so to speak!!

My learnin' payed off! Thank you Mr. Webb. You certainly got your money's worth teaching this ol' girl!!!

Medulla Oblongata....

Love it!!! [why, even the spell check doesn't know what it is!!! Ha!!]

[I was really just fine. But it was a big 'gotcha' and I am now known, lovingly, as the Science Queen. ----hmmmmm, when we play trivial pursuit, that is my favorite subject.] And after 40 years the wrestling has stopped too. We're lucky if we can roll out of bed in the morning.


Oh, and one more thing. I just told Bud the category for the week, and I said "I learned a bit of useless trivia from you. He said "What?" I said February 9th 1864. And then I also added, "And I remember June 25th 1877!" I knew, I just knew what his comeback would be --it was: "1876!" I said nope, another gotcha! It WAS 1877 on the 25th of June that my grandfather was born! HA!! I love those 'gotchas' so much when it comes to U S History. rofl [Custer and his men all died on the fateful June 25th 1876 in Montana.] See? Useless.

<><><>




Charlotte at "At Home in Scottsdale" awarded me with this! She writes in her blog:
    Hootin' Anni at Hootin' Anni's. This may be the most creative blog I know of. She even does all of her art work and graphics.
I blush! You really know how to make this ol' gal feel good. You made my day, and I'm filled with thanks for you thinking of me. Thank you kindly!!


<><><>


33 comments :

  1. You are so fricken funny!!! I didn't know ANY of this stuff!! I am leaving here feeling smarter but knowing I will have to reread this in the morning....Why ..Well cause I won't remember it! Any of it..Well maybe the award you got cause I agree with it!!
    I can barely remember the usefull stuff!!
    Anywho no Fm for me no time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never expected to learn some brain anatomy this early in the morning, lol. What a funny story and I love how you remember this fun trivia fact!

    Congratulations on your well deserved award!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. It's probably even more funny as it hits so close to home. I'm a biology/zoology etc LOVER as well and my hubby, well, he's not. Anyways, one time we were wrestling around and he hurt me and I screamed, "my medulla oblongata!" He looked at me like, "what the heck?" I said you hurt me really bad. Using all the technical mumbo jumbo really got to him. He was truly concerned. Anyways, a while later, we were wrestling again and I pressed down on his chest with my hand as I was standing up and he screams, "my medulla oblongata" So funny that he'd remember the word, but too bad it was the wrong spot. Anyways, I'm like, actually that's your zyphoid process if anything that I would've hurt there. . . . to make this long novel short (although I'm still rambling) my hubby always says I hurt his medulla oblongata anytime he gets hurt no matter where it is. It's kind of an inside joke. Hope this all makes sense. It's almost 3 am, but I just had to comment as it cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha ! funny story ! Imagine even I learned about General Custer ! We didn't learn the US Presidents besides the real important once but I even have been visiting Little Bighorn Battlefield, in Montana ! Mr. Gattino is a fan of all this history and I am sure he also knows everything about the "wild west" lol !

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL! That's funny...made me giggle at 6:30am, no less.

    I probably would've gone for the uvuvla (sp.??)

    And that was very special for you to have bought Bud some land on the battlefield! Cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee hee that was really funny. And congrats on the award. You are amaing. I always wondered if you actually did the drawings too. Now I know you do. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so funny, I loved it, and I love February babies, both of mine are born in February, 1st and 7th. happy Monday

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story! And I love that you bought him land at the battlefield. What a cool present!
    I usually only remember the femur and that's because my son broke his so we heard that word alot for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jen? We're both Medulla Oblongata Queens? That is just dam* super if you ask me!!!

    ~Anni

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's quite a story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry you and Bud don't wrestle so much any more Anni. . .sly grin! I'm with you on the handsome science teachers for improving academic performance though. One of my few As in college was for introductory biology because I paid such good attention in class!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here I thought you and Mr. Webb were wrestling in biology class. Can you imagine the trouble that would have caused?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was by far one of your most fabulous Fun Mondays. Medulla Oblongata. I just love hearing that and now I'm going to love chanting that.

    (My memorable biology teacher was Mr. Weir, and we would always accidently spell his name ending with a D. hee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  14. At least it wasn't your 'cerebral vortex'...lol. I did NOT do well in the sciences.

    Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is quite a story! We went to Little Bighorn Battlefield several times when I was a child, but I certainly don't remember any of the dates.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You, my friend are a hoot! It does not surprise me at all that you are a practical jokester!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well I won't remember Feb 9th, or June 25 but was a great story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni,

    As you know I am also a history buff and enjoy reading historical novels and non-fiction. I have always wanted to see the battlefield in the Black Hills. Maybe one day.

    Love the way you got Bud. That is hilarious. I bet he felt real bad and I also bet that he wouldn't bite today. He probably knows you too well.LOL

    The award you received is well deserved. Your blog is always interesting, informative and your graphics are delightful.

    Take care and have a great day. I don't have the photos of the visit with Pea posted yet, but we had a wonderful time getting to know each other better. Both she and Steve are a lot of fun.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are an interesting story teller as well as a good illustrator and artist. Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love being able to show off my bits of knowledge to my know-it-all husband too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I took anatomy in college and have forgotten everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for always making me smile. I love you bunches.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovin' the medical trivia!!

    And I'll bet you also remember the Alamo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. survivor8/25/2008

    Funny =I really enjoy visiting your blog. I think Jesse James may have been born or died on my birthday -talk about usless trivia! smile Thanks for the good read/ robin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fun stories. At first I thought I had no memories of triva like that, then the name George Washington Carver, The Peanut man poped into my head. Report from Je. High (O:

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds like you and Bud have a lot of fun. Hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
  27. That was a great post.What fun to buy a piece of land. Also congratulations on your award you are as always very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anni,just stopped by to tell you that I have an award for you oven on my blogger sire. so come on down.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've always loved the way mendulla oblongatta rolls off the tongue!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Loved your post. I've missed blogging this past 3-4 weeks. Things will settle down in about a month and I'll be able to get back to it. Enjoy checking in with you often.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  31. great trivia Anni and great stories!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great story!! Aw, I bet you wrestle more than you admit.;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE saying medulla oblongata.. so much fun.. oblongata, oblongata, oblongata....

    ReplyDelete

.