my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




THANKS SO MUCH for your thoughts and prayers for Bud and me! [Sue, Anna, Sassy, MiLeTTe, Mary, Sandy, Jen, Denise, Storyteller, Mike, Debs, Karen H, Alison, Susan , Carolyn, Pea, Shannon, Marcia, Diane -I've read all your comments and taken them to heart...] Much, much appreciated. Update follows my Tuesday's Heads of Tails!-------


Join Here

This week's prompt is Sit *OR* Stand

Ummmm, when I sit, it's either behind the wheel, or watching baseball or movies, or eating. No wait...dang, there's this thing I sit at a lot, called a computer.

So...those are boring subjects. I'll opt for 'stand' this time----





In the doorway, where we STAND, you can't see LAND! Attending an exhibit at our Coastal Art Center several days ago, while I'm viewing some of the local water colors of our area, Bud is STANDing at the window. This room is NOT one of my favorites to enter. For the window is the very reason! While standing on the floor in this room, looking through the window, I have a sinking feeling within the pit of my stomach! As you're there, on the floor, and you stand looking through the window it's like you're actually standing ON WATER! And you know me and water. We don't get along. That is, if I'm IN the water! I can STAND on the beach, looking out over the water, but the fear of being IN the WATER...well now, that's a whole 'nother story! In this particular spot of the Art Center, the water actually DOES come up to the building's driveway! If you actually stand at the window and look down, you can see the waves hitting the curbs. Yes, if you're at all curious, ol' Anni was dumb enough to actually walk over the one and only time to look down. A whole sensation of vertigo and fear of DEEP dark abyss for me. When we oftentimes go to veiw new exhibits, I don't go near the window now!! I stand clear!

From the Bud's vantage point, you're seeing the Gulf Coast way out on the right horizon, to the left of his shoulder is actually the huge ship channel where big oil tankers come in, or large ships with imports/exports arrive and depart...this is the PORT of the city...the ship you see is USS Lexington [from WWII]. It is also a museum now, permanently docked on Corpus Christi's North Beach.

I'm sure dear man of mine is reminiscing of 'the good ol' days' of his Navy life. But then again, I may STAND corrected.

~...end Heads or Tails
[comment link below Hurricane Dolly Update]


<><><>

Hurricane Update:
4AM Bulletin



WTNT34 KNHC 220546
TCPAT4
BULLETIN
TROPICAL STORM DOLLY INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 7A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042008
100 AM CDT TUE JUL 22 2008
...DOLLY HEADED TOWARD THE WESTERN GULF OF MEXICO COAST...
A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE COAST OF TEXAS FROM
BROWNSVILLE TO PORT O'CONNOR. A HURRICANE WARNING IS ALSO IN
EFFECT FOR THE NORTHEAST COAST OF MEXICO FROM RIO SAN FERNANDO
NORTHWARD TO THE BORDER BETWEEN MEXICO AND THE UNITED STATES.
A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED
WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO
PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.


- - -

As I type this, Dolly is still out in the Gulf, and she remains a tropical storm with wind speed of 60 miles an hour. She's reported to get near landfall by sometime this evening or in the early morning hours tomorrow {Wednesday}. We've been advised to shutter our doors and windows [we have permanent hurricane shutters mounted on our home on ALL openings except for our garage door]. Today sometime we'll be closing them and be in darkness until the storm hits. It's only expected to be a category 1 storm [so far, it may change within the next 20-24 hours tho]. By viewing this newest update which I have sent to me every three to four hours daily during hurricane season through emails, the path remains south of us where the 'eye of the storm' will make landfall [our home is midline in the 'red zone' which is "hurricane watch", and there's always a possibility her path will turn northward instead of more westerly!]. But the winds associated with a huge frontal system such as Dolly's will play havoc on our city! The pattern of this tropical storm/hurricane has the counter clockwise circulation having the hardest winds in a right to left direction...the right being the worst...which will be our area hit first with the toughest winds! We've been warned that we'll get over 10 inches of rain so there will be flooding in our home no doubt being so low to sea level. And we are prepared with water, food and CAT SUPPLIES in case of broken sewage lines, no water, and downed electrical lines. Tons of lamp oil [we have no natural gas in our home...ALL electric, so the fear of gas leaks is nil], and candles and flashlights. Right now, I see no major problems other than the high winds and fierce rains unlike nothing where the eye of the storm is.

When I went out for my daily walk this morning, it was VERY quiet...no birds, not the usual sea breeze...the leaves didn't move --the storm is sucking the energy towards her as I type. Traffic seems to be quiet too. We're all sitting, and waiting. I'm sure, even with the storm reportedly being only category 1 at landfall, there will be severe damage around town...especially near the coast line. Bud and I will prepare our yard today, bringing in lawn furniture and hanging plants off the patio, etc. Things like this makes you stop and really appreciate the life around us...and realize just how precious and vulnerable it all is!

Only time will tell.....


23 comments :

  1. Happy HOT day Anni!!! Great entry, and I just wanted to say thank you for the update. I will continue wishing that it peters out in the gulf, and that you are all safe. We do not get such big storms up here in central Canada, and just the thought of what you might face scares the heck out of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that view from the window. I'd stand there, but I like water.

    My 'stand' on the movie is that I liked it. A Lot. Heath Ledger was amazing! We're already making plans to see it again.

    Sending good thoughts your way that Dolly doesn't do much damage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I would probably get vertigo from the view too. I do like your take on the theme this week though, very well written. Stay safe during the storm and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice photo and be safe always.

    thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anni,

    I enjoyed the photo of Bud standing at the window, but like you, I would not want to be standing there. I would rather see it from far back. It is a beautiful sight, but vertigo would claim me also. Great shot though.

    I have been watching the news of Hurricane Dolly and praying that she doesn't pick up too much speed. A tropical storm is one thing but hurricanes are scary. I well remember when Hurricane Hazel roared through here in '54. I was about five but will never forget it. I can still picture here and the eye... everything so quiet and eerie after the high winds and then she went on a rampage once again.

    I am praying for you and Bud as well as for the others that are in Dolly's path. Be safe, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been thinking about you and came to your blog this morning to make sure that you are still okay. i did hear the weather report and they are saying tomorrow sometime. Hopefully you sound as ready as you can be. Take care. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that's bad it must be awful when you know that a catastrophe is coming. I am in my summerschool now and we have some 50 ° and no heating because it's summer (administration of course) on top of it it rains but the cours is very nice. We are 300 students of all ages.
    And I foud Internet ! very important !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello there!
    Thank you for the visit!
    Yeah, being in the water, very vast body of water gives me an icky feeling too, or should I say...fear. I still cannot get over the ship that sank in the Philippines because of Typhoon Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my Anni! I do hope you all stay safe. You are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello dear Anni:-)

    How very scary to know that a hurricane is on its way towards you! Please know that you are in my prayers and God willing that you are all safe!!! I just want to go over there, pick you up and bring you back here with me.

    That would indeed be a funny feeling to be standing at that window looking out at the water...I'm not scared of water but having so many other fears, I can certainly sympathize with the one you have of water!!

    Stay safe my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice photos. stay safe!
    Hugs and Blessing. Her's to just a little wind and rain!

    ReplyDelete
  12. some things are better to sit and other things are better to stand.

    My HoT is up and have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Anni, I have thinking about you and wonder how everything is going. Please take care and be safe!! The minute I heard Dolly was comming your way I have had you on my mind and in my prayers!! Love and Hugs, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice photos, and an interesting blog. :) Thanks for sharing this Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. are you coming north? you may visit us if you need to :0 i hope you are safe

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is some standing there! but if you think about it i bet we sleep more than we stand in our lives haha!

    Tina
    http://www.mummydiariesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was concerned about you and another Texas friend as I was watching the Weather Channel's coverage of Dolly.

    My prayers are with you and all those in the path of the storm, Anni. I pray God will place His hand of protection on you and your property, that nothing can harm or hurt you.

    Love and hugs,

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad for the update so thanks. You and Bud have been in my mind since I got up this morning, but I slept in until 6:45 (highly unusual for me) and had to rush to feed the animals and get myself showered, dressed, fed and out of the house by 7:30 so I didn't turn the computer on until just now. I just arrived home ... (ran errands after class) ... I'm relieved you're feeling prepared and hope all goes well for you and yours.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice take on the theme, and sounds like a neat place to visit, though maybe not quite as much for you with the whole water thing.

    Sending good thoughts and hoping you'll stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the view is lovely - but i'm such a water baby. i'm sorry you don't like the water!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's a great photo and I enjoyed your post. Thanks for dropping by my place and I sure hope you've battened down the hatches and are staying safe!

    cjh

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anni, I hope you are safe from Dolly. I know that she is headed your way but I am also aware that you will take as may precautions as you can, to keep safe. The worst part is the waiting. After all you have done to prepare, all that is left to do is stand and wait an hope for the best.

    Thanks for stopping by my HoT. House Sitting

    -Bev

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't usually see photos of the Gulf Coast when it is calm. Glad to read in your latest post that you survived Dolly. Thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete

.