my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




edition #65




America's Independence History/Trivia




1] Betsy Ross [reportedly sewed the first U. S. Flag]* was an upholsterer.

2] Three men came to Ross's home to ask her to sew the flag: George Washington, Robert Morris, and George Ross [her late husband's uncle]. *see link in #1

3] The first design, shown to Betsy by Geo. Washington, had a six pointed star. * see link in #1 [she reportedly suggested the five point star]

4] The Declaration of Independence was read aloud for the first time ever, in Independence Hall [after the finishing touches of the flag and it was unveiled]; in July 1776.



5] The famous poster of Uncle Sam pointing out and the words "I Want You!" was painted by James Montgomery Flagg in 1916-1917.

6] There is no copyright for "Uncle Sam's"* portrait.

7] Uncle Sam's portrait first appeared -- Originally published as the cover for the July 6, 1916, issue of Leslie's Weekly. *see #6 link

8] The song God Bless the U S A was written by Lee Greenwood in 1983.

9] The American National Anthem was originally a poem.



10] The bald eagle was chosen June 20, 1782 as the emblem of the United States.

11] E pluribus eunum - The United States motto - in Latin:
    e (or 'ex') is a preposition meaning "out of"
    pluribus = the greatest many
    unum = one

    "Out of many, one."


12] New York City was the first 'temporary' capital of the USA [1789], then moved to Philadelphia [until 1800] then---permanently the District of Columbia.



13] First President to reside in the White House was John Adams. Referred to the "President's House" until finally with the official order from T. Roosevelt in 1901 did it become "The White House".

~...end Thursday Thirteen
[scroll below next photo for comment link]


<><><>

So, after I posted about the cell phone being 'fried' this past week, and going out and getting an upgrade since it was more costly to get the 'old' phone repaired than getting a new phone, I tried taking a picture to just play around with my new-fangled toy. I wanted to have the option of being able to upload them on to the computer and work with the photos I take with the phone through my paint shop program, without having to upload it, send it to myself through the phone # or e-mail and then save it, open it, work on it and re-save it then get a chance to post it on my blog if I want. What I wanted was to eliminate all those 'extra steps' in the process of saving them. I then went to Best Buy [Circut City didn't have what I wanted online and neither did my cell phone company when I was there last week, other than ordering them] and found what I wanted/needed there!! I get home, hook the phone up to the USB cable [for me, the process is much simpler and this blond can figure out how to use cable. LOL Ta-da!--------



Our sweet Tahoe [the 'Ho'], on the coffee table in the living room no less! Caughtcha, y'little booger!!! Isn't she pretty tho?
But I actually told Bud that she gets the 'grumpy look' from being around HIM.

39 comments :

  1. Great post! I am loving the fourth of july themes!

    I had no idea about most of those. It really surprises me that "Uncle Sam" is not copyrighted. You would think someone would have found a way to make money on him! (Or maybe I'm a tad cynical ;) )

    Happy TT :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a former history teacher, I knew some of those. Good thing too, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a history nut I did know some of these facts. Though I didn't know the poster of Uncle Same has no copy right. Loved the picture of your kitty. Great TT. Happy 4th of July to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there's one thing I admire about Americans, it's their patriotism. Happy 4th!

    T13 #20: Forceful Rhythms

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was a great review for this week-end. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to a festive Fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved the trivia. We are planning a trip to Philadelphia for our 35th Anniversary (Betsy Ross' house is on the agenda!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a very red, white & blue 13! Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good evening Anni, I always admire you for your knowledge and great posts on any subject..thanks for sharing this information with us...Have a wonderful 4th of July...
    Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember reading that school kids had to memorize the Declaration of Independence just like we memorized the Pledge of Allegiance. If I'd do that, I think it'd be worthwhile. Or, at least a good memory exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome History lesson. Happy TT:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved reading all the history on your Thursday Thirteen! I'm glad you got a great new phone. The comment about Bud cracked me up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. President's House is a lot more down home than White House. I like it more.

    Thanks for teaching me so much tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great list, mine is up at 13 Not So Famous Last Words; Most Americans die peacefully in their beds, but for those who die violently one can only guess what their final words must have been. I think that after you read these you will have to agree that they do indeed sound like they might have been the last words of those who did not go peacefully into the night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the history refresher. We all need to be reminded of those things. Mine is Independence Day quotes keeping in the spirit of the 4th. http://www.3sidesofcrazy.com/2008/07/thursday-13-quotes-for-usa-independence.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing the history lesson sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the new phone...and that fact that it was easy to figure out!

    Glad to see I'm not the only one with disobedient cats...I have the same trouble with Bella as you do with Tahoe.

    Have a wonderful Independence Day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm going to have to send the kids here for this one -- excellent & fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good facts as an American to know and to read!! Thanks.
    I have wanted to be able to put my phone pictures on my computer but really don't know if I can. Maybe I can and just don't know it!! Smile.
    Hope your day goes well. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful history lesson.
    I may have to do a special 4th post tomorrow.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool TT! Interesting that John Adams was the first President to live in the WH, because I remember reading somewhere that, while watching it go up, Abigail was disturbed to see "The President's House" built with slave labor. She wrote to a friend that she felt slavery was inconsistent with America's democratic ideal.

    I love that Tahoe reinforces what my cats have slowly taught me -- I can't get them to stop doing something, only to stop doing it while I'm looking.

    Thanks for your thoughtful comment on my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love trivia! Thanks for feeding my habit.

    And Tahoe is beautiful!

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like history; thanks for educating me a bit further on this subject!
    Thank you for visiting my TT about Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the way Betsy Ross changed the shape of the stars. I wonder whether it was an esthetic concern or if 5-pointed was easier to sew...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for teaching me something today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Frying cell phones must be IN this time of year! Dennis fried his while he was in PA last week! LOL! He's got my old one now.

    I only take pics with MY cell to use ON my cell -- caller ID's and wallpaper. Otherwise, I always have my camera with me - and it's just so much easier to deal with!

    Thanks for stoppin' in yesterday! We DID have a very enjoyable trip! I'm STILL catching up on being back!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great information. Happy TT & Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  28. good info and research happy fourth

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great list - and a few facts I didn't know. (I didn't know Betsy Ross was originally an upholsterer.)

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Always good to get a ‘refresher’ in History around the 4th of July! Well done ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great T13....knew some and didn't know some....but I do feel smarter than when I arrived here this afternoon! LOL

    www.mamapj.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a fun and patriotic TT! I learned several new things. I can't believe that Unlce Sam's portrait isn't copyrighted. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anni,

    I loved all of your US history trivia. I am a history buff, as you know. I've been reading a couple of fiction books based on facts about the American Revolution.

    Your camera takes awesome photos. The kitty is beautiful.

    Happy 4th of July, my friend. Oh and drop over to my blog for a surprise. You aren't going to believe it.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  34. Annie, love this recipe you have on the comment link. I will try them later when I'm not so lazy anymore.

    Love your T13 too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for the sharin g the info...now me too enlightened...

    Visit my TT @ http://rimsquest.blogspot.com/2008/07/tt-17.html

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  36. happy 4th of july dear anni!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I always enjoy reading your blog! Love the background and banner!

    Please return to my blog to hear the anthem I just posted!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  39. I so enjoyed learning these interesting facts! When I went to Philadelphia a few years ago with my friend Carole (we drove from here to Atlantic City!!)we stopped to see the Liberty Bell, as well as the Independence Hall and we also walked up to Betsy Ross' house!! I wanted to go inside but it was too late and they were closing. Phooey!

    Sounds like you found the perfect cell phone...it always surprises me what great pictures they can take. Awwww cute picture of Tahoe:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.