“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Lisa, at Lisa's Chaos has this little 'quirk' of a challenge this week for us with a Fun Monday topic that took a little thinking on my part. Oh ya baby, it hurt; so many 'thunks' and not enough time. I thought I'd share a part of American-wide road rage! And, most certainly, I can experience it - not often, but I have! So I guess it's a quirk for me as an individual. [Insert me looking over my shoulder and making sure no one is following me down the street that I know in blogland.] "I've blurred my license plate number today on purpose, even out on the streets!! You can see me, but you don't know it's Hootin' Anni!! Got it? Okay, good!!

Ask Bud; you don't want to p!ss me off when I'm behind the wheel, and we're supposed to be sharing the road, equally. There was one time, while driving back from the Stapleton International Airport in Denver [now defunct since DIA opened years ago] - on our way home from a long long and stressful trip with United. Interstate 25 and we're heading north and west to get out of the Interstate 70/Interstate 25 interchanges. Someone pulled in front of me as I was picking up the correct speed to get to the Northglenn Exit. There was no way I could get around him...it was building up to rush hour traffic. I was really wanting to get home, but I was still very stressed from the flight. Lots of turbulence and some scary moments coming in over the Rocky Mountain Range from San Diego. Just a bad day. The kids were bickering constantly from an early morning wake-up call, etc. etc.

So, then this ol' geezer pulls in front of me as I was nearing 70MPH [back then at the time it was 75 for top speed limit on the 'fast lane']. And he was poking at 50MPH! To make a long story short, [well, not in distance I tellya] ---when I finally DID get around him I was still headed NORTH...I ended up driving at a speed that was something I wouldn't do anymore, I got the car up to nearing 100MPH on I-25, and guess what? We ended up in Wyoming before I finally cleared my head.

Kids were quiet as church mice heading back south and Bud still tells everyone that will listen to him --"Y'don' wanna tick off Anni when she's behind the wheel. Y'never know what country you'll end up in." Yep, still...to this day he'll regale you with this old tale!

- - -

And another thing, if you see me coming, and you're on the merge ramp? ---Speed up. Trust me. Oh and one more? If you know I'm going at the posted speed limit and you decide to change lanes and end up in front of me...don't make me slow down! I'll tail gate you wherever you're going. And the other extreme, if you speed up behind me and I'm doing the speed limit and you tail gate ME ---I will deliberately slow down!

So, according to Lisa's explanation of 'quirk' as 'odd behavior'
    A quirk is defined as a peculiarity of action, behavior, or personality; mannerism. We are all unique individuals, having quirks that help make us who we are. I would like to know what your quirks are. Confess to one, confess to ten, you decide. Just come back Monday ready to spill the beans, the rest of the world may look at you like you are from Mars, but you‘re among friends here. We won’t laugh, in fact that eccentricity just may endear you to us more.

---this is totally me. Quirky. But just this one thing. Other than that, I'm genteel. Kind. All and all a real super dude-ess!!!


U R Olive is hosting next week.


36 comments :

  1. LOL! Ended up in Wyoming?!?! Hilarious! My hubby is always telling me to calm down when driving and I'm like, "there's a bunch of idiots driving in this state!" He's like: "You're one of them getting all huffy puffy like you do" But honestly, he has it backwards. I just react the way you do Anni when people are morons! Oh and I learned the "if I'm going the speedlimit and they are tail gatin' me to slow down deliberately to tick them off" from my hubby. So, who is he to talk? C'mon! Lol. loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha ! that's a nice "quirk" but then I have to add it to mine !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni, I think I'm kinda glad we don't drive in the same country, I'd be so busy NOT ticking you off I would probably wreck my car, sorry I missed this week, could have had lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your cool summer drink, they sound terrific!

    Your driving quirk? Yeah, I have the same one, except I also yell and cuss in the process. I don't think you'd ever make it down here with the Cuban drivers we have. Now that's not being racist or prejudice. Cubans will tell you themselves that they are crazy, bad drivers. Traffic lights are merely suggestions, direction signs? Hahahaha...Stop signs? Hahahah.... Everyday that you drive in S. Florida is a day you truly are putting your life in someone elses hands.

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am right there with you on those issues with other drivers! lol I think we were just taught different. What happened to getting up to traffic speed when getting on the freeway/expressway? I get behind people who STOP on the on ramp to merge into traffic! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! I will keep clear of you while on the road! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent!! And you've reminded me of one I need to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't even get me started on slow drivers who cut in front of me. It's one of my quirks too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boy am I glad I live a long way from your highway, woman! I do the same things sometimes, but have decided it's bad for gas mileage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think when you come to visit, I'll drive!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you ID your car for me - I'll just pull over and let you zoom by. Tho I've been known to go a wee bit over the limit a time or three,so guess we share the quirk.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure if this is a quirk or something to go to counseling over! LOL

    Enjoyed reading your "quirk" - will always remember not to drive in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's quite a story. I have nothing comparible, except the time I ended up in Michigan, you don't want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good morning to you Miss Road Rage!! smile!! I do not get that way!! I do not like drivers like you mentioned but i somehow can deal with them. i try to think why they are driving that way..maybe there is something wrong..maybe they are going to a funeral that they dont want to go too..Just trying to understand!! I know how you feel though but i just try to make myself understand. I am so much better now than I was when I was young. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep, I'd just pull over and let you have your way. Not worth the trouble!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how you drive. I get the same way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hee hee. I'll be sure to stay out of your way! I fogot all about driving when I was making out my list. I could do a whole other list on just that topic. Funny post!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni,

    Another thing we have in common. Road rage. People who cut me off really irk me. I usually lay on the horn and scare them half to death.

    To the other extreme, if someone is tailgating me, I slow down, just as you do. I especially enjoy doing there when there is no passing lane.

    Many years ago, before the term "road rage," I was waiting at a dangerous stop sign. The guy behind me kept tooting. He couldn't see if there was traffic coming. I got out of my car (I did remember to put it in park) and went back and asked him "Is there a problem?" He was stunned when I told him I was going to sit there until he became a courteous driver - and I did. I also told him the more he honked, the longer I'd sit right there and not move. He didn't honk again. Just one of my more horrible moments. LOL

    Take care and have a wonderful week. The bathroom is getting the wallboard on. Whoohoo!!!

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. you're funny! and i have a sure indicator of when i'm driving too fast or aggressively. that's when the bean buckles up next to me...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will be very careful when I see you out on the road. Thanks for the warning. My husband sometimes loses his patience with other drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG...that is too funny! And I also tend to slow down when someone tailgates me and I'm going over the speed limit. Funny stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am going to avoid u like the plague!! nice post

    ReplyDelete
  23. Road Rage! I experience this everytime I get into the car with my hubby. The two of you should get together and tell stories about other drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't believe sweet little ole you???? Road rage! Patience is a virtue you know! I know some people can be annoying, but what goes around comes around! Anger causes too much harm in this world.

    There was an incident in Australia last year where a man suffering road rage first her and then her two year old because he was screaming in fear! What kind of a moron does something like that? Her crime as in your case, she was going to slow!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Woops I somehow deleted a couple of words.

    The guy punched them both in the head!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Okay, I'm never driving my little gas saving, but no oomph, Scion xB in your state. For sure you would get me--especially in merge.

    Have a great 4th holiday, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  27. anglophilefootballfanatic.com6/30/2008

    Wow. I wouldn't want to scare you in the car for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Woo Hoo, you are a little firecracker.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always slow down when I am being tail gated..I think it is so rude!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're not quirky, darling. You are what I call one feisty woman! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I swear when I lived in Corpus I must have met you on the road. :) Do you know I couldn't drive down there? My doc put me on anxiety meds cuz I would grip the sterring wheel and be terrified. I just couldn't do it and it took months to get over that fear after we moved but I'm all better now. :)

    I can drive through Dallas or Chicago but I don't want to dwadle. Difference in driving through and living with it everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey Hootin! You'd better slow down before tomorrow.... As of July 1st, speeding tickets are $300 in Colorad o (see my post) You're tooo funny.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ummm.....I'll never tailgate you!

    Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You're as entertaining as always ... but reading this reminded me a bit of that Disney cartoon with the mild-mannered pedestrian who became a maniac behind the wheel of a car! Methinks I'm glad you don't live closer ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  35. I hate slow drivers who cut in front f me, but I think I hate drivers who try to push me over the speed limit even more, especially if getting out of their way means I would have to slot into slower traffic. It's just not going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Note to self: never get in Anni's way. :)

    ReplyDelete

.