my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out





Karisma is our hostess this week.

She prompted us to share something we've made with our own hands [or even feet!]. Her statement for this weeks is as follows:
    I MADE IT MYSELF!

    I think the title pretty much says it all, but for those of you who may still be wondering, I would like to see or hear about things you have made with your own two hands (or feet, Im not fussy!) We all have different talents and abilities, maybe you like to sew or knit, chisel or sculpt, draw or paint? Whatever your talent is, please share it with us this week.



- - -

I dabble in art, pencil sketching and painting with oil and watercolor medium, over the years. I also like crafting. Mainly crocheting. Right now, I'm in the middle of two afghan projects. One with a Southwestern design [also sewed on conchos and fringe when complete] and the other one with pansies. I just finished painting in watercolor a brown pelican and started my sketch of another to paint...a Japanese Samurai Swordsman. It is pinned to my easel, but the easel is out in our garage right now, and it's too hot out there to work. So, it sits and is there for a cooler time. In the past I've sketched with pencil. I love that. It can be frustrating and relaxing at the same time. Once, Bud had an old whiskey bottle [Jack Daniels Burbon to be exact] and on it, there was a Charles Russell print. I snatched the bottle from the trash when he was through with it, and drew the Indian Maiden's image on my sketch pad. It's now framed and on our "Western decor" living room wall...




If you see by my list of "favorites" on my sidebar here, you'll notice that my favorite artist is Bev Doolittle. At one time, about twenty or twenty-five years ago, her style was unique [now, many are copying her]. She painted with the use of much camouflage. She'd take a work of nature and paint into the picture hidden things. My favorite is "The Forest Has Eyes". While I was hospitalized about twelve years ago, for something to do to keep from going stir crazy after being released with orders to remain calm, relaxed and bed-ridden at home, Bud brought a picture puzzle so he and I could work on it while I recuperated. To this day, it too is framed and in our living room. Tho it's not a work done by me, the puzzle was done by me with a couple of hour's help from Bud when he was done catching up on the housework/chores....



To point out my fascination of her work, there are Native American faces in the painting...13 of them to be exact. [And to show you an actual print we have of hers, Bud's favorite is "Woodland Encounter". The red fox is very prominent but look closer, in the aspen trees....TWO Indian Men on horseback!!]



Bud made the frames, I did the matting work for both, and added a feather cut out for the last print shown. If you'd like to see her work, up close and personal, click here for Woodland Encounter, and here Forest Has Eyes. [You'll be able to spot the faces and the Indians much better than from my photo.]


33 comments :

  1. Wow! We seem to have a lot of common interests Anni! I will have to go snooping in your archives and see what else you have hiding! I also like to draw and paint but rarely get time! You are very talented! Thanks for playing this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni, The first picture is amazing! Great job!
    ~Rhonda ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni,

    Great post. I also love the art work of Bev Doolittle. Her paintings are awesome.

    I wish I could draw. I would love to sketch. I love the Indian maiden and am glad that you saved that whiskey bottle from the trash so you could sketch the label.

    I certainly enjoyed my visit here this evening. Now it's off to bed for me. Lots to do tomorrow. Email on its way.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so talented! I can't believe how good the pictures are!

    :0) Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love Bev Doolittle's work...she is extremely talented. you are also very creative and talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you really are truly artistic. great works!

    sorry i have to post here, can't find your PH entry.

    thanks for the visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a very creative woman with a lot of good ideas !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some Bloggy Love for you over at Memoirs of a Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew you were creative but I didn't know this painter, she is wonderful and I love her works, thanks for the links!
    And happy Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. HA, after visiting your blog weekly for many months I'm not surprised that you have such eclectic art interests! I can't keep up with all the changes you make in your blog header, format, etc. Wish I had that talent. Strangely enough, creating a blog is indeed a work of art, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. This piece of art is beautiful and I would love to see your "Western decor" wall.
    I have always enjoyed Bev Doolittle's work especially the one that you mentioned - "The Forest Has Eyes".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great artwork Anni. The puzzles of Bev Doolittle's work are fascinating too. That must have been time-consuming. Your blog itself is a wonderfully dynamic piece of art. I always look forward to how it is going to look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just so envy someone that can draw...I cannot make a straight line very well!! smile!! our son draws or used too before he got so wrapped up in graphic design..He was so good and I wondered.."Where did that come from"...It must have been from his dad..my hubby!!
    I loved those pictures and boy i bet you kept busy with that puzzle. What a project.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am seeing a lot of talented people today. I love the pelican and the Indian Maiden.

    I posted the 'Forest has eyes' as a quiz sometime ago, it is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes! You are actually the one who introduced me to Bev Doolittle! That was many years ago already! WOW! I would LOVE to do one of her puzzles! I think I might have to look for one!
    Love your/Jack's Indian maiden too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are truly blessed with much talent my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How talented you are! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never heard of Bev Doolittle but her work is very good....as is yours :o) Plus matting pictures is something I have never been able to do. I just can't seem to 'cut' them right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used to love to puzzle myself,but getting anything on paper that is worth framing is not my cup of tea! Yours is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so talented where do you carve out the time at night or early Am or when?

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, I loved reading your post Anni and seeing the pcitures your have posted. You are talented!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have some nice pieces there, I like the use of a puzzle as a wall hanging. Enjoyed the glimps

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your work! Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think puzzles are an overlooked artform. I love doing them and have often thought of framing them when I am done...

    Of course, the pieces I use now are rather large, so they aren't quite as frameable as the others...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow … very impressive all!!! You do have the ‘artistic flair’ I wish I possessed and Bud shows off your work effectively with matting and frames. You make a great team! I’ve shared late today at Small Reflections after many Blogger issues this morning.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow those are amazing. I love the sketch, you are very talented. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anne,Great photos,thanks for shareing them.
    I donot know what the testing to see if this works is for each time I click on it I get this error message blog can not be found.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your sketch is wonderful! I paint but I cannot draw at all. I'm in awe of people who can do so.

    I've heard of Bev Doolittle but to be honest, I didn't really know anything about her work. It's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those are great work of art. Fun Monday would be nice to join but I don't think I'd be having that much time. I meant Unconscious Mutterings. When do you post this? On a Monday?
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  30. should be Industrious Annie --

    I've seen Doolittle's work hanging here and there and have admired it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Really neat stories behind all of your work. I enjoyed reading and looking at it all!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like your paintings. I hope you have still your ear (van gogh) :)

    ReplyDelete

.