my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out






edition #64




[click to play a short 'tribal beat' for ambiance!]




She's ba-a-ck!!! I love humor, I love joking, I love laughter. Hope you will too. My thirteen this week comes from a wise ol' lady named Jefé [pronounced HEH fay in Spanish slang - meaning 'boss or chief', being in this case, a "chieftress" but I like Jefé - you guessed it, I really DO have chin whiskers'] These are thirteen tried and true living experiences from the aged one with her keen perception on life-------




1] When you have a package that has "Open Here", STOP! Opening somewhere else, in any other room, may be hazardous.

2] Never sleep with a drip! Call the plumber!

3] I suggested there be two horns on a vehicle; that talk! One would say "Get off the road you S O B!!" --The other one: "Oops, sorry!"

4] It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.
[insert tribal talk "ratatooie boomagoobaloo" here]

5] The severity of the itch is proportional to inability to the reach it.

6] The early bird gets the worm. But it's a fact that the 2nd mouse gets the cheese!!

7] I tried it already -You can't set your laser printer on 'stun'!!!

8] A see-through nightie is popular 'cause love ISN'T blind like people say it is!!

9] Sniffing Coke with ice cubes is not kosher!

10] Drink white wine with fish. And if you must...white grapes with sushi!!

11] Trust me...gaining weight is not caused by jogging backwards.
[insert tribal talk "backawardz nogotumstepazzulu" here]

12] Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population.

13] Don't just stand there doing nothing! You won't know when you're finished.

~end Thursday 13
[scroll down for comment link]



<><><>

Weekly, we go to the Half Price Book Store in town. It's like a thrift shop, they're putting out different books every day, almost all day long. So we try to go at least once a week. And I have a list of books/and or subjects that I always take with me. And search the shelves for those particular ones.

And with me, when I do find something of interest, I take it home. And no matter if I have a book on my nightstand that is being read, I have to stop reading that one and open the ones I had found that day. Of course, it was just that way this week.

I'm in the middle of reading:


"Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" by H. Jacobs; it's an excellent book. It was on my list of books to search for at the HPBooks. Mary, at Mary's Writing Nook, suggested it some time ago. Of course, it's a troubled life of a slave girl, and I'm, like I said, about half way through it. While I'm reading this, I have had so many questions regarding her being hidden for years, and why she wanted so desperately to become free after her children were given their freedom. Yes, I know ---it's slavery! But she was never mistreated, physically, but still had a strong distaste for her 'owner'. Still, while reading this memoir, I'm thinking...being cooped up in her grandmother's attic that is only three feet high at its highest, for years, becoming more or less a cripple because of it....why not go back and enjoy the last few years of her life being his daughter's mistress? I'm just not sure my own pride would allow me to become so diligent to accept days, months, years being in darkness and losing so much of my own life to not choke down my dignity and live a bit more 'normal' [although still in slavery of course] --with food on the table, clothing, daylight, comfortable sleep, the little bit of luxuries of living I would think more needed. Of course, I've only lived a lifestyle OF FREEDOM, so it's probably best I didn't live back then, right? I guess I have to read the rest of the book to find the answers to my quandary.

- - -
Okay, so I found this other book on the 'clearance shelf' for $1.00 this week!! And as usual, I had to pick this one up and begin perusing the pages. It is of another favorite subject of mine. And it's a biography [one of my favorite kinds of literature!] This one is on:

A British Library selection of "writers' lives'....CHARLES DICKENS. I read from his early childhood years 1812 through to when he arrived in American in 1842 so far. I just love reading these written works. I read about how he came about writing the "Pickwick Papers" and his pay. Fighting for the rights of copyrighted work. His marriage, his father's inability to stay out of debt, his children and his long hours of working to make ends meet.
...of how he met and fell in love with Catherine. Marrying her and having children with her. [I also read about his first real 'true love', Maria Beadnell....tho, because of his stature and position in England because of his father's debt, he was finally snubbed by Maria by her father's insistence. The photo to the left, taken from the book, is of Dickens's wife Catherine in 1852; just after giving birth to their tenth child, Plorn.
I look forward to completing this book. I can then go back and re-read several of Dickens's works like Great Expectations, Pickwick Papers, Nicholas Nickleby, A Tale of Two Cities, and have a lot more background in mind; knowing just who the characters are and who they really represent from his own life's story. It amazes me how so many of the characters so well known from his writing is now a bit more clear on just how the people evolved in his mind and his work; taking them from his own life!! This photo is of Charles Dickens and his family at Gad's Hill.


Y'all CAN read the "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" online here.

40 comments :

  1. What a cute and funny TT. Great idea. Thanks for making me smile today. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! That is an awesome list! Absolutely hilarious some of it.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Happy TT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. #12 is quite impressive!

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jefe makes me smile :) Happy TT and thank you for stopping by Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats a great list...ha ha...
    Mine is up too sounds this time
    http://slenderoctopus.blogspot.com/2008/06/thursday-thirteen-9-some-random-sounds.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does that mean I have to sleep with the plumber in my see through nightie if there is a drip? LOL, fun list.

    I would be deadly in a 1/2 price bookstore, I would be chanting library, library. So hard to walk away from a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yummy - a patriotic banner AND recipes... mmmmmm....

    I laughed at a couple of your jokes - which is rare - so thanks. I think it's very cool that you go to the used book stores. They are rare these days. I bet they appreciate your support.

    One of the things I love about books is how they last. You found a book that you never would have read online or whatever. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for making me smile! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are fun. No. 4 cracked me up. My guinea pigs couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jefe rules, Anni. That's all there is to that.

    I love HPB. It's become what the Tour Manager and I do on date night -- but I have to restrict myself to the clearance section because of my small book problem...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Neat TT.

    Mine's up and it's a tribute to George Carlin.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I giggled most at #12. Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 6 and 11 were my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hah! I love the way Jefe thinks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni,

    I love Jefe and enjoyed reading your TT list.

    I could answer your questions about Harriet Jacobs, but I won't because then it would spoil the book for you. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    I also enjoy biographies and the Dickens one looks great. I am going to put that one on my list as well.

    Take care. I just caught up on your post from yesterday. Loved the morse code.

    Enjoy your Friday and be sure to take some time for you.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoot...... You are a hoot...... I could not sleep tonight, I think I am over done and past tired, but I came here just to see what you were up to and I got a good laugh,,, Thanks,,,,,,,,,,I so needed that,,,,,,,, Thanks for stopping by and giving sweet words,,,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, I'm curious to see how the book ends and your thoughts on it. Great reviews and I loved your 13!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great comedy! Love Half Price Bookstore, too. My T13 is up, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Funny list! Will remember to eat white grapes with sushi. Happy T13 :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are a riot! I started out trying to give my favorites, but gave up when I found myself listing nearly all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hee hee, I loved this one, great words of wisdom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. your thirteen's a hoot indeed :) do have a great weekend ahead too!



    Mec of Hope This Helps You

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very nice list ! I had a good laugh !!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great list! Hilarious!

    I read "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl" several years ago. Very good book! Thanks for reminding me of it.

    Have a wonderful week,
    Sammy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great list. I especially like #13. It is sooooo true.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great blog today! Thanks for the link - I'm really looking forward to reading it. I love biographies - all the history books should be written this way - it would make it all so interesting instead of those boring history books in school full of kinds, czars and dates, dates and dates!
    Happy day Hon
    L

    ReplyDelete
  28. #7 made me snort. It sounded like something my 6 year old would actually try. Thanks for the grin!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can always count on you for a laugh, thank you sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great list, love the 2 horns!

    Mines up as well!
    Hubbys having a give away at his blog at www.valtool.blogspot.com

    Hope you will visit us both!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jefe is the best. I laughed out loud at most of them. But I think #11 is best!

    Come by and see my lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Loved Jefe's astute observation about sniffing Coke. The one about the itch, though, a little TOO true this week. I cut one of my toes over the weekend, and as it heels it soooo itches! Can't very well go into a modified Lotus position during a meeting to scratch it. (OK, I could, but it would change my image at the office forever!) Thanks for visiting my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Funny list, happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  34. Excellent post Anni! Hilarious! Where did you find them? Your reading choices are very interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Interesting 13. Mine is Eat, Drink and be Merry - 13 Last Words, Excerpt: Judaism instructs us to enjoy the simple gifts that God gives in the present world. Eat, drink and be merry. Enjoy this life, on this Earth, in this time. I have collected for your enjoyment the last words of some of our more famous fellow human beings involving food or drink before they died.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very clever Jefe! I especially loved the practicality of #6 … something I’d never considered before but it certainly true. There’s a local ‘used bookstore’ I used to visit frequently … loved to just hang out and see what I could find. These days I’m trying not to find anything to bring home however.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  37. LOL!!! It was too good....

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  38. OH! yum the smoothies smell good already. I am into the raw version with no sugar right now here is one of them---cantalaupe, carrots, orange juice and yogurt, tastes like creamcicle.
    L like your blog this time- so cheery and full of good things. Worms are my favorite also! How do you people go anywhere when the gas is that pricey!!!!!!! Our world is going to snap someday.............anyway have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I loved these! Another fun round of hilarious jefe! Keep 'em coming!

    www.mamapj.com

    ReplyDelete

.