“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes







Join Here



This is my first Sunday to participate in GREEN THUMB Sunday. As I love to work in the yard and see what things I can get to grow and blossom each season, I thought this is a good way to show the 'fruits of my labor'. Today, my very first photo is of a cactus I had in Tucson in a hanging basket, that I bought at a special desert plant nursery just outside of town one Saturday. I've had this about 12 years now; I moved it when we came here to Texas, of course, it sat in the back seat of the car from Arizona, through New Mexico and clear 'cross Texas. It sat overnight [it's a two day drive] when we stopped about half way the first night. And sat in the hotel room until the contract to the house was all signed, sealed and delivered. Of course we moved here in October and the blooming season was over for the year. But, since we've moved here, it has shown it's beauty! [the plant itself always looks half dead --but ummmm, it's not!]. It started getting its buds about two weeks ago and started blooming last week. Here are a few different angles of the same plant.





<><><>


Play along with your subconscious; Sunday's Word Association.
Join here.


She says ... and I think ...

1. Silence :: Is Golden
2. Wall ::
Street
3. Killed ::.
the wabbit [an old Elmer Fudd/Bugs Bunny cartoon/song]
4. Wishful ::
Thinking
5. Poodle ::
Parlor [where those silly dogs get all 'poofed' up!]
6. Sullen ::
Gray
7. Do not disturb ::
Honeymoon
8. Philadelphia ::
Pee...Aay [PA]
9. Anticipation ::
Heinz Ketchup
10. Sidewalk ::
Cafe




<><><>








NEWS FLASH: Did you hear the news here in America this past month? They're again changing the design of the $10 bill!!!.........



......to this!!!



- - -

I didn't realize how the American dollar had fallen in value against the Euro until I saw this popular American product marked down to $5.00. It was a $10.00 bill.
No, really!!




<><><>





....by three bloggers this week. So, here I'll complete 'em and probably, without a doubt, take your breath away with all the knowledge you're getting from me. rofl

The first tag was from Mary this week:

1. The rules are posted at the beginning.
2. Each player answers the questions about themselves.
3. At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read your blog.

1. What was I doing 10 years ago.



First.....are you kiddin' me? I can barely remember what I was doing last week at this time!!! Y'all expect me to remember what I was doing TEN YEARS AGO? Okay, I'll try...let's see that would be 1998, huh? Spring of 1998. Hmmmmm, we were living in Tucson. So, no doubt we were on our way out somewhere, like one of my favorite spots, the Sonoran Outdoor Desert Museum. We were members of the board to this while we lived in the area...the very BEST of Tucson!!! A great place to spend a quiet Spring Sunday morning. I could spend hours there, walking around, looking at the vegetation of the desert...stopping to watch the desert animals [this outdoor museum had everything fenced in...BUT!! The great thing about it is, the fence was nearly INVISIBLE to the naked eye. It was not cluttered with chain linked fencing like other 'zoos'. And the scenery could not be compared with any other place in the world!!! Desert grasslands, saquaro cactus jutting up in the blue sky like a citified skyscraper...thousands of them!, desert dwellers [animals of all kinds], High majestic mountains looking south into Mexico territory, cafes and gift shops, reptiles, wildflowers, javelinas, hummingbirds, cardinals, roadrunners...it was a perfect place to spend the whole morning, then have brunch at one of the outdoor cafes. Afterwards, you'd probably find us either home watching baseball or out to a movie, or perhaps driving up to Tombstone and shopping or having a cool one at Kate's Saloon. Walking along the boardwalks and witnessing a mock gunfight!!!

2. Five things on my to-do list for today.
Sunday is always a 'go to brunch day' for us.
Walking along the beaches.
Working on my crochet project [a gold southwest afghan with conchos accenting]
Yard work
Baseball on TV

3. Snacks I enjoy.
Well, the snacks I'd enjoy isn't something I 'do' anymore. It's all now something that is ZERO cholesterol and fat---
Pretzel bagel chips
Orange Italian Ice
Fresh fruit 'in season' --right now strawberries are everywhere!!
Homemade Granola
NO FAT ice cream [it is NOT the real stuff, but it'll do!!]


4. Things I would do if I was a billionaire.
To me there is just no real concept of such a sizable dream such as this. Money does not buy happiness!!!! I must be honest here, I really wouldn't want to be rich, monetarily. I see no future in being wealthy with the greenback. I'd much prefer to have a simple life, and filled with a true sense of contentment. Sorry. Travel, as I would have said years ago, doesn't even appeal to me anymore.

I'd probably give it away.


5. Three bad habits that I have.
Doctors tell me that my smoking is bad. Sure it's not good, but I see the danger value comparable to taking the car out on the highway...there too I'm putting my life in the hands of strangers and their erroneous ways. I tend to eat when I'm not hungry. And to combine this to make it a 'third' bad habit --I have made a habit of sitting at the computer too long! Without a doubt in my mind this time of year, I watch too many sports on TV. And recently I put off things that need to be done around the house -playing lazy.


7. Five jobs I've had.
Besides wife and mother you mean? I reckon so...

Babysitter as a teenager...this was full time in the summers! I got good pay!!
Head Receptionist at the local Chamber of Commerce
Assigned hostess to city functions [through the city council]
Office Supervisor at a high school [summers off when our kids were school age]
Patient Coordinator for a Corporate Psychiatric/Medical Office.



<><><>


The second tag was from Flip Flop Floozie AND Talk to Grams:
    The Rules:
    1) Write your own six-word memoir about yourself.
    2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you'd like.
    3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post and to this original post if possible, so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere.
    4) Tag five more blogs with links.
    5) And don't forget to leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!
My six word life story? [with "I am" being understood as the subject of a sentence structure, to make it a 'complete' story]----


Nebraska born,


Colorado raised,


Texan retiree!!!

- - -


I rarely tag anyone. I enjoy getting tagged, but tagging from me? It's not my style. And Saturday morning, when I stopped by Betty's blog she was handing this out to her visitors. I grabbed it. It's adorable. [drop by and pay Betty a visit and pick up this cutie yourself!!]




27 comments :

  1. Your answers were great, and I like your pictures here. I may have to borrow your meme if that is okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Mornin' Anni,
    Well I am here visiting this morning. I am still very sleepy and I had to come and visit you first as always. I love your Cactus that is blooming. I have never seen a Cactus bloom like that before. It is beautiful. I enjoyed your Sunday's Word Association as always. You know, I got one of those new $5 bill the other evening. I had sent the girls across the road to the store to buy me some soda's and she brought me one back as part of my change. I thought it was counterfeit. LOL. I did, until I asked someone about it and was told it wasn't. I enjoyed reading your Meme from Mary. I don't know what I was doing 10 years ago on this day either. LOL. I barely can remember from one day to the next. LOL. I do know I was pregnant with our youngest daughter this day tho. I loved the Meme from Grams and Flip Flop Floozie as well and the pictures are beautiful. The button from Betty is pretty. I think she left me a comment telling me she had an Award for me, so this may be it. I haven't been visiting anyone since Thursday morning, so I really don't know. It has done turned Winter time again here. LOL. I posted about it this morning. I am fixing to go lay back down for a bit because I'm still sleepy. Take care my friend and have a great day. Enjoy your Brunch and the walk on the beach. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.
    P.S. The Broccoli and Cheddar Poppers are little balls that you deep fry and they have pieces of broccoli and cheese in them. They are really good too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have one match! lol. and the answer for my sidewalk, yea, the bikers can be annoying. bicycles are still alright if it is one or two every now and then, but motorcycles are absolutely over the edge...

    anyway, thanks for visiting my blog. i rarely have visitors now, so i really appreciate you taking the time and leaving a comment. thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow … these cactus blossoms are lovely indeed. I never have much luck getting cactus plants to bloom, but I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised at that given my proximity to the ocean. LOL

    I enjoyed your ‘unconscious mutterings’ and Sunday Snippet. I’ve never done these before but perhaps I’ll check them out for a post later today since I’ve not published anything yet today. I also enjoyed learning a bit more about you from the ‘tags’ you responded to this morning. I’m with you on the ‘money doesn’t buy happiness’ and I’d probably give it away too ;--)

    I’ve got a bunch of possibilities for a six-word memoir in ‘draft’ … and am tempted to just press ‘publish’ and put them ALL out there (after seeing that Jennifer of Open Book did just that) … but I do like the ‘illustrated’ version you’ve produced here. It’s just wonderful!!! I’ll letcha know if/when I take on any of the ‘non-tags’ …(my favorite kinds).

    Betty gave ME this award too … how fun!!!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one meme I could not do because i cannot for the life of me remember 10 years ago. I know where I was working but that is about it. You said it was hard for you to remember yesterday, but boy you did a good job with that answer!!
    Thanks for doing that tag. You did it excellently of course.

    Sandy

    ***Well, Sandy, I COULDN'T remember exactly what we were doing 10 years ago...but as I said, more than likely we were spending our Sunday mornings at the Outdoor Museum in the Springtime! We always did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - I forgot about Elmer Fudd!
    Anticipation: Heinz Ketchup??? Well I hate ketchup, so maybe that's why I dont' get that one!

    Love the six-word memoir tag - I'm off to do it now! lol

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geez ! I hope you are not overworked by now with all these memes and long post ! The dollar indeed has become very cheap for the Europeans and that's why a lot of them will spend their holidays in the States. For the poor Americans working here and are payed in $ it's dramatic because they get a lot less salary and the companies don't want to increase them. I know several cases of friends living here in Waterloo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anni,

    Loved the answers to your memes. You did a good job on them.

    That cactus is beautiful. I have never seen anything like that. It is a treasure and I'm glad you took it with you when you moved. It looks like the flowers are a good size and it makes a real nice showing. I can hardly wait to get my plants outside. I always pick up hanging baskets each spring and the boys usually give me one for Mother's Day.

    Take care and enjoy your relaxing Sunday.

    Hugs and blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there. Came to see your mutterings and enjoyed the rest of your posts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cactus has absolutely beautiful flowers! So it only blooms once a year? If so that's a shame since it's so pretty! Welcome to the GTS.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome to GTS. You cactus has produced beautiful flowers. I've not seen this type of cactus bloom before. Is this its firt time? I wasn't clear on that point in your post. Happy GTS,
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Raggedy Anne icon! I have a collection of these happy, lovey dolls and had to smile when I saw yours!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to GTS! I love your graphics; very creative and not too cutesy. I looked at your cactus and couldn't believe that I threw one out a week ago because it was looking very sun battered from living in my south facing garden window. It never did get flowers like yours though. It had tiny burgundy bell shaped flowers when in bloom, which was usually winter. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anni!
    Thanks for dropping by, you got some nice mutterings yourself! Don't know how I didn't think of Poodle Parlor though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What rare display of cactus! Welcome to GTS! Hope to see more from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That hanging cactus is beautiful!! What is it? I would love to get a hold of one.....lately cacti flowers have really been getting me going.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Anni,

    I love your cactus. I don't think I've ever seen one blooming. Very pretty.

    Also, I found your six word memoir to be interesting and original. A very different take on that, especially since you had pictures to make it more interesting.

    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Mutterings!

    And I love the pictures of those beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW -- what was I doing ten years ago is a blur. What was I doing ten minutes ago -- another blur. LOL
    We had a few of the same mutterings but I liked your wall street and sidewalk cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yada Yada Yada
    Yada Yada Yada
    YAK YAK YAK!!!

    Criminy woman! Do you TALK as much as you type? Does BUD "listen" or does he just nod and agree? ROFL!!!
    I need YOU here with MOM!!! That woman can't carry on a conversation to save her soul! If you were here she wouldn't have to! Do you EVER run out of things to talk about?

    Ya know... when I was a kid, I really WAS accused of being "verbose"... apparently I NEVER *ahem* "shut up"... And I remember VERY WELL being admonished for it - frequently! I sort of grew up in a "children should be seen and not heard" type of household - and I wasn't buying in to it! But I think eventually it did get to me... or after 50 years I got tired of my own voice! SOMEthing - because I'm really NOT all THAT talkative anymore. I certainly could NEVER compete with FIVE separate posts ... in ONE day!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. you have got me beat,5 posts in one day.you are amazing.My hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anni,

    Be sure to stop by and read my Monday post. There's a little something for you there.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Came by to read the unconscious mutterings and once again stayed to read a lot of interesting memes. I always love visiting your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great memes sweetie, have a beautiful week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your pink flower is gorgeous!! haven't seen that kind over here...although I posted a similar plant today (Monday).
    Love your "wordy" posts, keep thinking of Melli's award :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. First of all, welcome to Green Thumb Sunday. I love the intense color of your flowering cactus. I've never been able to get the hang of a cactus. I always over-water them!

    We both thought of cartoons for our Unconscious Mutterings, but for different prompts. lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hiya! Thanks for stopping by my Mutterings yesterday morning!

    I love your answer for Sidewalk... ahhhh Paris! (Sidewalk Cafe totally reminds me of there!)

    And I cannot believe we both had a Bugs Bunny-Elmer-wabbit reference but for different words! Very cool :)

    Have great week and See ya Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete

.