my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out





Join Here


Now, for the Show N Tell for the week - - -

Today, I thought I'd share some of our metal signs that we have hanging on the garage wall or work bench. The first one is self explanatory...it hangs just above the entry door into our kitchen from the garage. And the attack cat is Tahoe 'The HO' for short. She IS our attack cat. If you heard her growl when a stranger comes near her territory...you'd think she was a dog!!! But then, alas, the attack mode runs out and she heads for cover under a bed, well-hidden!!


The advertising of the passage to 'nowhere' aboard the HMS Titanic. And the White Star Line of the 'gigantic' ships from years past. We just love this historical part of the sign...and the movie, and the sea. I'd love to have been with Robert Ballard when they found the wreckage and had a first view through the submarine that dived down to find it at the bottom of the Atlantic. So, it was purchased and nailed to Bud's wooden box on his workbench!



This one above is self explanatory also! Bud found this at one of the souvenir shops on the island here in our area. He was absolutely THRILLED to find something that has my actual spelling of my name...without the "e" tacked on the end!! And it's posted on the work bench now, just in front of my parking area.



Of course this is a sign especially for Bud. He 'digs' this kinda stuff! When you think about it...he being at one time in the Navy and all the different sea ports,...this is probably something very typical of what he saw. Wouldn't you think?



See? Just like I said...SAILOR. Being aboard ship with all the testosterone gliding on the waves aboard ship, this is probably the kind of sign the men look for when they set foot on land again after so many months at sea. LOLOL



Oh yes, I do like the fun things, but I can be serious also. This is a 3-D relief on tin [and it's NOT in the garage or anywhere close -it is in our home, safe from harm. It's kinda small in size; I've never framed it 'cause I like to have a hands-on experience with this at times]...I fell in love with it at first sight. Below the engraving, is "ECCE HOMO". The Latin title 'Ecce Homo' is taken from the Bible, and means 'Behold the man!' These words were said by Pontius Pilate during the trial of Jesus. It reminded me of a painting by Rembrandt, when I read the words below the engraved Christ's head----

- - -

And with this that I shared above, and the reminder.... I am not one to 'preach the gospel' to others, nor do I appreciate others who try and sway me to their religion. [I strongly believe that each individual...world wide, has their 'own god'; the non-believers are and can be friends also, they have a right to believe what they believe, who am I to judge, I know I'm not perfect.] Still, the painting below is one of my favorite works of art, [this about art, not religion] and I want to give a little background....As the words go, you know then that.....

Pilate presents Christ to the people, who, urged on by their priests, demand His execution, insisting that they have no king but Caesar. In the painting the clock is at the sixth hour. The bust is that of Caesar and represents the Roman state. The priests, who press the staff of judgement upon Pilate, are caricatured by Rembrandt as wholly despicable characters.

This monochrome work is called a 'grisaille'. It is the preparatory study for an etching made by Rembrandt in 1635. The grisaille was laid onto the etching plate and the design transferred with a stylus. It is the only known example of a full-scale preparatory study for an etching.

Rembrandt, who is the most famous Dutch painter of the 17th century, was also a prolific and accomplished printmaker. His prints were widely collected and occasionally sold for higher prices than some of his paintings.

Oil on paper stuck on canvas
54.5 x 44.5 cm.




National Gallery London: Terms and Conditions

Website Copyright

The contents of this site, including all images and text, are protected by copyright. All material is provided for browsing and viewing purposes only. No copies of the digital images or text may be made except for personal use.

'Personal use' means non-commercial, domestic use by an individual involving the making of only single copies of each digital image.


<><><>


29 comments :

  1. Bud have a birthday? Well..happy day to you sir!!
    Nice show and tell today!! I can only TELL as I am at work..
    Hopefully will post later on today.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have quite a collection there! Fun signs and all. Your show and tell made me smile! :)

    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, HAPPY BIRTHDAY Bud!!! Hope Anni let's ya WIN - everything - today!!! (fat chance... huh?) Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such interesting signs! Great collection. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun signs! I always love visiting you.

    My show & tell is up... vintage bling bling! Do stop by. I love the company.

    For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Bud!!!
    Love your collection, particularly your parking plate, lol.
    Have a lovely Friday, I will read about that virus now ::scared::

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed the signs. It would be nice to have a garage/work area to have some fun stuff like that. there's a really awesome place not far from my daughter's home in Columbia, MO where they sell reproduction nostalgia stuff. Everything from I Love Lucy, to the 1950's, signs the whole 9 yards!

    Your comment about religion reminds me of the saying, "We can disagree without being disagreeable". It's your blog and if you wanted dialog about religion, the way I see it, you'd start a blog devoted to that topic!

    Have an awesome weekend!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni...Your signs and paintings are great. You have a really interesting blog. I enjoyed reading what you shared about your spiritual beliefs. I am a Believer, but you are so right that we can and should all be friends. Have a fantastic weekend! Kathy@ Mimi's Garden

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anni,

    Happy Birthday to Bud. I hope the two of you have a wonderful day together celebrating.

    Your tin signs are very nice. I really like the Titanic. And the Anni sign - I know how hard it would be for you to find anything with the proper spelling.

    You had a great Show and Tell today. For some reason I couldn't upload pictures.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed seeing the things that make your world go 'round.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great and fun show and tell. I especially liked the one about "keeping the girls off the street". It made me think of another "pair" of girls!
    I appreciated the educational info. concerning the art of Pilate and Christ.
    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool signs. Have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these metal signs ! they are too funny !! I could use them here too, lol (except the Christ of course) I just came back from a whole day babysitting ! My son's god daughter (1 1/2 yrs) is sick and the parents working so I did a grandma job and am on my knees now !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow.. a great post with some great stuff today.. I love the sign with your name on it.. Wishing a "happy birthday" to Bud.. May he have many more to enjoy..thanks for the warning about the virus..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loved the signs!! I have a few myself, but nothing as cool as the madame or the sailors on ;)

    I have a "thing" for all things Titanic, so I loved that one too. And I'm right there with you on the religion thing.

    Great Show & Tell!!

    Rue :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh and Happy Birthday to Bud ;)

    Rue

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very interesting things in your garage! And love the special art as well.

    I didn't do a S&T today, because I was privileged to post an interview with a wonderful author. Please come by!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your parking sign!! and Happy Birthday to Bud!! You had a great Show and Tell today! Love and hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like your sign collection. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. nice photos.great posting.Happt Birthday Bud!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How neat that you found a sign with the exact spelling of your name!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I enjoyed your ‘sign collection’ and the info about Rembrandt’s work. Happy Birthday to Bud!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for visiting my blog today.
    I've trying to choose a tin sign or two about tea for my kitchen.
    I love Rembrandt's paintings or etchings on the life of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday to Bud. I really enjoyed your show and tell sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a hoot! Thanks again for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday to Bud and many more. I hope the two of you have had a nice day together.

    I love the signs. Ed will enjoy seeing the ones about "girls" as he was a Navy man himself. How neat Bud found you one with your name on it and spelled right, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday Sailor Bud!
    I enjoyed the sign tour.
    Anni, A little fun and a little
    seriousness all bundled up
    sweetly in your S&T this week!
    Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Talk about a variety!! I like the one with your name best, I think!

    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord Jesus! :-)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice collection of signs! Your garage must look great with all that decoration. Neat that he found a sign with your real spelling on it!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete

.