my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



Join Here


April 15:
HEADS - Tip
*OR*
TAILS - Anything that rhymes with Tip

I did this category in error a couple of weeks ago when Skittles changed the theme to something else unbeknown by me. I think this was when the Heads Or Tails got fame....got its own blog. Anyway, I'll work again and come up with something new.

Besides, I like a challenge. Y'all know that by now.

So.......tip or rhyming with tip, huh? Okie Dokie!!

Trip, sip, dip, flip, grip, hip [my hip is aching yes indeedy! Sitting at the computer desk for eons right now...I've become glued...joints ache.], now where was I? Oh yes...hip. Gyp [is that how it's spelled? G Y P? Like as in disappointing? What a gyp. Guess so...the spell checker isn't correcting me anyway. Lip, nip, pip, as in pip squeek. LOL Quip, rip, snip, whip, yip, and zip!!

- - -





Pip, and the character Mrs. Havisham
[courtesy of Charles Dickens Museum]




Out of those mentioned above, I'm going to choose "PIP". Another kind of pip; not pip squeek. Ever hear of the classic novel by Charles Dickens? "Great Expectations"? I have always had a 'thing' for Literature and I loved reading this story. It was an assigned read for me in Junior High School and the story was so well written that even today I can remember it precisely. It's about a boy named Pip....


I would have to say that the story, Great Expectations, is one of the most important novels of its time, and still can follow through today's footsteps of a boy growing and learning. It follows the life of young Pip, from his 'awakening' to life. This first chapter is worth memorizing for you or to impress your friends; the very first line is great in itself: "My father's family name being Pirrip, and my Christian name Philip, my infant tongue could make of both names nothing longer or more explicit than Pip. So, I called myself Pip, and came to be called Pip". Great literature! It goes on to tell the story of a young working class lad in England, who inherits a fortune from an unknown source and becomes a true gentleman in the sense of the era in which Pip lives. In this process, he meets the beautiful Estelle and falls in love. The fact that he feels unworthy and the truth about his benefactor, loom large in his mind. It is the answers to these questions that leave us thinking about this tale, the characters, and what it means to have status [even today]. The phenomenal author, Dickens, wrote this such a long time ago, yet it still could hold true today; though I wonder how many self-made men can call themselves gentlemen today? I can't think of any myself, but maybe a few - and they're not wealthy in terms of money, but the CAN carry themselves with pride and dignity. I'm sure there are some wealthy, dignified men out there....somewhere. I just don't know any personally except for my reading Great Expectations...only in fiction.

- - -
Speaking of 'tip' ---Being April 15th, U S A tax deadline day.....I would be certain to NOT claim any TIP money.
    Have you ever noticed that on our tax form ---at least on my income tax [Form] 1040 it says "Check this box if you are blind". [think about it]

    If the chance of getting a tax audit is 1000 to 1, why is it 50/50 that it will be you?
    - - -
    There was a man who computed his taxes for 1997 and found that he owed $3407. He packaged up his payment and included this letter:
    Dear IRS:
    Enclosed is my 1997 Tax Return & payment. Please take note of the attached article from the USA Today newspaper. In the article, you will see that the Pentagon is paying $171.50 for hammers and NASA has paid $600.00 for a toilet seat.Please find enclosed four toilet seats (value $2400) and six hammers (value $1029). This brings my total payment to $3429.00. Please note the overpayment of $22.00 and apply it to the 'Presidential Election Fund', as noted on my return. Might I suggest you the send the above mentioned fund a '1.5 inch screw'. (See attached article - HUD paid $22.00 for a 1.5 inch Phillips Head Screw.) It has been a pleasure to pay my tax bill this year, and I look forward to paying it again next year. I just saw an article about the Pentagon and 'screwdrivers'.

    Sincerely,

    I. Getscrewed Everyear



<><><>

While taking a short lunch break this Monday from my housework, and before I did that four letter chore...yes, it's a four letter word I just hate to hear spoken...but it had to be done ---- I R O N--I visited a few of my blogging friends while eating my turkey sandwich. And when I arrived at Mary's she surprised me with this most beautiful award! She says:
    Anni at Hootin' Anni's - Thank you for helping me with things you are knowledgeable about whenever I ask.
I say to her, Mary, I'm speechless again. What a loving thing to pass on. And I just LOVE the words...and the song recorded by Bette Middler. It always makes me tearful the words are so touching....and this award did the very same!! Thanks again.







49 comments :

  1. Great Post! I remember that book! I like the way you go through the ABC's to get your rhyming words-lol! You also just posted my Hump Day Humor Post about taxes-lol! Come over and check mine out here

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tax letter! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing I'm not playing Heads or tails as I would go with Dip S***.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni,

    Sorry I was so late getting over today. I did read your previous post and left my new name there for you to see. What a name. You just have to see it. I was ROTFL.

    Enjoyed the tax information. LOL We have until April 30th to get ours in. I can believe that your tax form says, "Check here if you are blind." Our government works the same way.

    I also enjoyed Great Expectations. I love the classics and have made sure the boys have copies of most of them.

    Enjoyed my visit, as always and had quite a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MY hip hurts right now too! (dontcha love the little things I choose to notice in your posts!) Which hip is it on you? It's my LEFT hip! I think I pulled a muscle! (Great Expectations was an exceptional book!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about Pip from Great Expectations, but I didn't use him in my poem. I used a lot of other words that rhyme with tip. I didn't think I had a tip to offer, really, either. Oh well. Check mine out if you can. I enjoyed your HoT! http://forgetfulone.blogspot.com/2008/04/heads-or-tails_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, Anni. I love the letter by I. Getscrewed Everyear. Why do they have braille on drive-thru automatic bank tellers? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved Great Expectations. I wonder if the classics are still required reading. They should be. The tax letter and payment cracked me up, wish I had thought of that last month when we payed ours! Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoof!! Woofenderful post. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! You missed a rhymes-with-tip word, and I got it on my blog! Come see me to find out what it is. (Clever, aren't I?)

    Great post. Lots of interesting bits. I especially liked that part about checking the box if you're blind... I hadn't thought about that 'til you mentioned it. Sheesh.

    smarmoofus

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still laughing about the tax story ! could happen here too ! Makes me think of the guy who had to pay 0 $ and got reminders until he sent a cheque of 0$ ! I have to check later the game you proposed because I have to go shopping now ! That's also to be done from time to time !

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness Anni I think you have got to be the only person I know who rambles on more than me LOL! Even when you do not seem to have a whole lot to say!

    I always know when Im feeling down that I can find myself a smile if I drop by here! Thank you for being so funny and sweet!

    Congratulations on your lovely award, it sure is a beautiful one! You sure deserve to have it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow...what a long tip and story. Great post

    Will you visit my “tip“ Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love tips...particularly household tips so I can pretend I am a good housekeeper, ha! I truly don't mind ironing, it's the whole rest I simply dislike.
    My lips are craving some chocolate right now.
    Happy Tuesday and congrats on that precious award!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! THanks for the visit.Very informative too.Yeah, it's paying taxes time here also.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent rhyming word, hope that hip feels better ::wink::
    I loved Great Expectations and my boys are going to have to read it this spring and then I need to see if I can find a copy of the movie I watched as a teen.
    Excellent HorT Anni!
    Mine is up @ The Cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The letter was too funny! Happy HOT day Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, the blind box is funny. The same as having braile signs hanging ABOVE a door. Those blind people need to be really TALL. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hehehehe

    Also like your saying in the comments section.

    Want see the Southern most tip of Africa - pop over to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I read to my father each night, I wanted to tackle Dickens. He was a physicist, I am a mathematician and neither of us knew Dickens except that he was supposed to be a great writer. My father refused. But I did pick up a complete set of his works at the high school library book sale. And I still have not read a one. I really have to: your post is inspiring me to start.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anni. I love the fun rhyme you did.

    I remember I read part Great Expectations as a school requirement but it's a shame I couldn't remember it now.

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I absolutely love this entry.

    Welcome at my heads or tails:

    :: here::

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stopping by to say hi this morning. Have not blogged in a couple of days. Time just will not allow me. This working at my age stinks.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  24. ROFL! That comment is toooooo funny! Sheeeeesh... and I KNEW you would like that meme! It IS a good one - and I don't think it will get boring because the format is different each week. I mean she uses the same ones over - but there's a large variety! You know! I just need to REMEMBER to go there -- and she won't show UP on my google reader! AAAAARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I’m playing for the 2nd time this week … and am delighted I decided to give this weekly activity a go! As always, yours is entertaining. I especially enjoyed your ‘timely’ ruminations about the IRS today. My nephew has just gotten the ‘lead’ in an LA production of ‘Pippin’ … but I didn’t think to include him in my post today … and I’m so far behind already this week that I’m not going to go back to add it now.

    Congratulations on the cool award. I got that one myself from Phyl at Scrappy Happy in Ohio and shared it at Sacred Ruminations on Sunday, but plan to share it at Small Reflections sometime soon. I did leave some ‘bling’ for you at Small Reflections yesterday, but I don’t recall whether or not I mentioned it yesterday because the day’s a complete blur this morning.

    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  26. I loved the tax letter.

    I need to do that 4-letter job sometime this week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Anni, This week's HOT is having so many different things on people's blogs..I will be reading all day.. Thanks for your visit to my place..

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks for sharing this funny rhyme - you made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post! I was just talking about Great Expectations on Sunday to my daughter. I call my son Pip from that book although lately, he wants me to call him "Geo". LOL

    You might like my HoT post -- it is so "chiperlicious" this week.
    Stop on by if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh Anni, you ROCK! I have to translate the tax letter to send it to our local German tax office *gggg*

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sitting glued to the chair with aching hip - I can relate to that. And you can't go wrong with Dickens. Great Expectations was one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  32. We read Great Expectations in high school, and I totally agree. It's an unforgettable story. Excellent post!!!


    www.mamapj.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. okay so where do i start? well you just gave me a side stitch about the TIP and mr. everyear.
    a good story on great expectations. honestly, i was thinking it was where the movie with the same title was lifted from.
    as for your award, congrats! it's always nice meeting inspiring people.

    c",) Morning Sniffles

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post! It was today's "good read" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I thought tip money was assumed for certain professions. I mean I thought that the W2 for waitresses for example automatically added an average percentage of tips based on the average meal price/number of customers for the business.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I read Great Expectations a long time ago!! You do these meme things so good!! Always fun to read them! Love and hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ya know, that book's been on my list of "Have to read at least once." You made it sound even better! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nicely done... Words of wisdom indeed! I liked the tax return letter, hahaha!
    And I love Dickens' -Pip is a nice choice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anni,

    Sent you an email.

    Have a wonderful day.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  40. Such a fun take on the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Anni:-)

    I'm here...I'm finally here! lol Geez, I've been so busy doing this and that around the house, I haven't had time to do much visiting and now I'm wayyyy behind again!

    Your posts are always such a pleasure to read and I just love your sense of humour. Reading that letter to the IRS had me in stitches, gosh that was funny..but SO TRUE!!!

    I'm afraid I've never been a big fan of English literature and although I know who Charles Dickens is of course, I'm not familiar with many of his books. I had heard of Pip, but wasn't aware what the story was about. Now I know:-)

    Thank you again, dear friend, for my wonderful header...everyone just loves it as well:-) I'm glad you like the wallpaper I decided on for my background...I thought the colour were perfect with the header!

    Hope your week is going well!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  42. You had me laughing out loud with the blind tax check box. hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  43. That IRS letter made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like your comments about the income taxes. I'm wondering about them making people who didn't file last year file this year so they can get the government rebate. Is this just a ploy to catch tax evaders?

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love visiting you dear.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Great Expectations is one of my favorites by Dickens! Miss Havisham gave me nightmares:)

    ReplyDelete
  47. An interesting post for this weeks HoT. I can remember several books read during my school days. Amazing considering I'm 50 lol. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  48. When I lived in England our place was quite close to Charles Dickens home and we took a tour through it. Everything seemed so small if I remember correctly. The desk he wrote on is not as big as my computer desk and yet he turned out wonderful books by quill pen.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi Anni , A great fun post.
    Ive been a bit slow lately ,and tomorrow I have my good friend visiting for a couple of weeks.
    be back as soon as time permits.. take great care Jen

    ReplyDelete

.