my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.






WOMEN IN HISTORY
[March is National Women's History month]

For this Thursday 13 [edition 50], I wanted to share a bit of historical figures found in the USA historical almanac of some recognizable names - or not so recognizable, in honor of Women's History Month---

1]Helen Keller


18801968, American author and lecturer, blind and deaf from an undiagnosed illness at the age of two, b. Tuscumbia, Ala. In 1887 she was put under the charge of Anne Sullivan who was her teacher and companion until Sullivan's death in 1936. Also- a new photo, was discovered. Read about it]

2]Ann[e] Sullivan


Macy, Anne Sullivan, 18661936, American educator, friend and teacher of Helen Keller, b. Feeding Hills, Mass. Placed in Tewksbury almshouse (1876), she was later admitted (1880) to Perkins Institution for the Blind, since her eyes had been seriously weakened by a childhood infection. Although a series of operations partially restored her sight, she learned the manual alphabet in order to talk with Laura Bridgman, a fellow resident at Perkins. She was graduated in 1886 and one year later was chosen to teach Helen Keller.

3]Clara Barton


Barton, Clara, 1821–1912, American humanitarian, organizer of the American Red Cross, b. North Oxford (now Oxford), Mass. She taught school (1839–54) and clerked in the U.S. Patent Office before the outbreak of the Civil War. She then established a service of supplies for soldiers and nursed in army camps and on the battlefields.

4]Rosa Parks


Parks, Rosa Louise, 1913–2005, American civil-rights activist, b. Tuskegee, Ala., as Rosa Louise McCauley. A seamstress and long-time member of the Montgomery, Ala., chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), her Dec. 1, 1955, arrest for refusing to give up her seat on a municipal bus to a white man sparked the Montgomery bus boycott.

5]Amelia Earhart


Earhart, Amelia (âr'härt) [key], 18971937, American aviator, b. Atchison, Kans. She was the first woman to cross the Atlantic by airplane (1928) and the first woman to make a solo flight across the Atlantic (1932). She was the first person to fly alone from Honolulu to California (1935). In 1937, she attempted with a copilot, Frederick J. Noonan, to fly around the world, but her plane was lost on the flight between New Guinea and Howland Island.

6] Sojourner Truth


Truth, Sojourner, c.1797–1883, American abolitionist, a freed slave, originally called Isabella, b. Ulster co., N.Y. Convinced that she heard heavenly voices, she left (1843) domestic employment in New York City, adopted the name Sojourner Truth, and traveled throughout the North preaching emancipation and women's rights. A remarkable personality, she spoke with much effectiveness even though she remained illiterate.

7]Babe Didrikson


Didrikson, Babe (Mildred Didrikson) (dē'driksun) [key], 1913–56, American athlete, generally considered the greatest woman athlete of modern times, b. Port Arthur, Tex. At an early age Babe Didrikson excelled in basketball, baseball, and track. In 1932 she won five events, tied for first in another, and finished fourth in still another event in the National AAU track and field championships. Two weeks later she won two events in the Olympic games in Los Angeles with record performances.

8]Oveta Culp Hobby


Hobby, Oveta Culp, 1905–95, American public official and newspaper publisher, U.S. Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare (1953–55), b. Killeen, Tex. She served as parliamentarian of the Texas house of representatives from 1925 to 1931 and from 1939 to 1941. In 1931 she married William Pettus Hobby, former governor of Texas (1917–21) and publisher of the Houston Post. She held various positions on the newspaper and at the family-owned broadcasting company. In World War II she became (1942) director of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC). [In downtown Houston, there is "Hobby" Airport...named after this family]

9]Beverly Sills


(Belle Silverman) operatic soprano Born: 5/25/1929 Birthplace: Brooklyn, New York
Animated coloratura widely regarded as America's greatest soprano. She appeared as the heroine in more than 50 operas, including Handel's Julius Caesar, Offenbach's Tales of Hoffman and Donizetti's Anna Bolena.

10]Georgia O'Keeffe


O'Keeffe, Georgia (ōkēf') [key], 1887–1986, American painter, b. Sun Prairie, Wis. After working briefly as a commercial artist in Chicago, O'Keeffe abandoned painting until she began the study of abstract design with A. W. Dow at Columbia Univ. Teachers College. Thereafter she taught art in Texas.

11]Pearl S. Buck


Buck, Pearl Sydenstricker (sī'dunstrik"ur) [key], 18921973, American author, b. Hillsboro, W.Va., grad. Randolph-Macon Women's College, 1914. Pearl Buck was awarded the 1938 Nobel Prize in Literature. Until 1924 she lived principally in China, where she, her parents, and her first husband, John Lossing Buck, were missionaries. She is famous for vivid, compassionate novels about life in China. The Good Earth (1931; Pulitzer Prize), considered her finest work.

12]Sacajawea


Sacajawea (săk"ujuwē'u, sukä"–) [key], Sacagawea (–guwē'u) [key], or Sakakawea (–kuwē'u) [key], c.1784–1884?, Native North American woman guide on the Lewis and Clark expedition and the only woman to accompany the party. She is generally called the Bird Woman in English, although this translation has been challenged, and there has been much dispute about the form of her Native American name. She was a member of the Shoshone, had been captured and sold to a Mandan. [painting above by Jessica Carlisle]

13]Antoinette Blackwell


Blackwell, Antoinette Louisa (Brown), 1825–1921, American Unitarian minister, b. Henrietta, N.Y., grad. Oberlin College, 1847, and Oberlin Theological Seminary, 1850. One of the first women to receive a college education in the United States, she was ordained a Congregational minister in 1853, thus becoming the first ordained woman minister in the country [USA].

<><><>

I read this on a blog while visiting the Heads or Tails meme entries this past week, and I thought...wow, there's no way I can remember anything but red, green, purple, orange, blue, yellow, white and black. But, I love to be tortured. LOL

Here is what I got, surprisingly. But, oh baby, the ones I DIDN'T get still 'bloggles' the mind; the 'forgotten list' far in a way supercedes what I remembered........

35

29 comments :

  1. How educational! Happy TT ;).

    ReplyDelete
  2. An amazing group of women. Great list! Thanks for sharing. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Group of Women. My favorite is Hellen Keller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some great names there. There's a few more who could be added from the UK, such as Emeline Pankhurst, Elizabeth Fry, Florence Nightingale.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some mighty women. The Keller-Sullivan duo never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hootin' Anni,
    Congratulations! You are the winner of the Bunny Gardener Giveaway...

    Please email your address and I'll get her in the mail in the next few days....

    Thanks for participating...Betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. From your list I know very well Helen Keller and Amelia Earhart

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kitten is named after Beverly Sills. When she is bad, she is known as Bubbles Silverman!

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh boy is my education lacking.
    I read a series of books in which the main character's children attend the Sojourner Truth School - never knew the who what why behind the name. . .

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni,

    An amazing list of women who have made a contribution to history. Thanks so much for this enjoyable read. I know March is Women's History Month in the US. It is in October here in Canada.

    Loved playing your little game. It was fun.

    As to your note in my comment section, I always have time to visit your blog. That is MY time and I wouldn't miss visiting you for the world.

    Blessings and love,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am pleased that I knew pretty much about all but 8 and 13 good post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anni,

    Congratulations on winning the bunny gardener from Betty's giveaway. It is adorable and you are so lucky to have won it.

    Today I won something too. I mentioned it on my latest post. We are both lucky. LOL

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Besides n° 7,8,9 and 10 all the others I know and have read about them. They must have had a hard life against this men world ! and Helen Keller is just amazing !

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was all set to comment about the wonderful group of women in this post, then I saw your score for naming colors. Showoff LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an amazing list of women, thanks for sharing this. Congrats on winning the bunny gardener sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Morning Anni,
    Wow, you are such a great teacher. I enjoyed reading the list of Women you had on here today. I do remember some of them, but there are some I have never heard of. I guess my lack of education has something to do with that huh? LOL. "THANK YOU" for sharing such wonderful History for National Women's History Month. I did the color test and I got 25 colors in 5 minutes. It was harder than I thought it was. LOL. So many colors, but some of them weren't listed as I know them. Oh well, it beez that way sometimes huh? LOL. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni, Thank you on behalf of all women for listing the names and bios of those wonderful women. I'm glad you liked my Irish Blessings! I'm Irish too so I send my best to you, fellow Irishwoman! Erin go Bragh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh and I love the Irish touches on your blog header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I spent considerable time laughing at the opening comment because I relate so much to being out of my mind frequently. LOL

    It’s always good to be reminded of those who came before us … paving the way for life as we know it. All are familiar except #7 & 8 … and I appreciate learning something new today. Thanks.

    As I type this ... I'm wondering if I remembered to give you credit for the fun orange & green T-13 header I used this morning. Methinks I'll go check before I forget.

    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni,
    This is my first time to your blog and I appreciate the Irish Blessing.

    Very education TT today. It's good to be reminded of these great women.

    Many blessings to you,

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool post today Anni!! I have always wondered about Amelia Earhardt!! Wonder what happened to her and her co-pilot!!?? When there are mysteries like that I just NEED TO KNOW what happened.
    Great post today!! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beverly Sills, what a voice. So sad we've lost her. Lovely List Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Speaking of Rosa Parks, there's a lovely children's biography about her. It's called "Take a Stand Rosa Parks." I will be reviewing it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great list, Hootin' Annie! You highlighted some very admirable women there. Women have accomplished some awesome things down through the years!

    And thanks for the Irish blessing...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Amazing list, Anni! Love your header graphic too. Georgia O'Keefe is one of my favorite painters. Life had to be interesting around her and Ansel Adams.

    Thanks for sharing these wonderful ladies today!

    Happy TT!
    http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love Georgia O'Keeffe. We have the children's book I am Georgie and I love reading it to the kiddos. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great list. An A plus in my book. I wrote about the new Helen Keller picture earlier. It's amazing what some people have around their house and they don't even realize it.

    Love your new picture in your header....so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome post! Bringing back memories and learning new things here! I admire Helen Keller!

    ReplyDelete

.