my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



edition #52



[photo courtesy of Foto Search]
This I read on my daughter's Myspace the other day...of course it brought tears to my eyes. Because it reminded me of my grandson with Down's. He so much could be "Kevin". I'm sharing the first thirteen lines of this poignant writing. It IS continued to the full extent if you wish to continue reading....It's long, so be prepared to stay a while longer-----------




1] I envy Kevin.
2] My brother Kevin thinks God lives under his bed.
3] At least that's what I heard him say one night.
4] He was praying out loud in his dark bedroom, and I stopped to listen, "Are you there, God?" he said.
5] "Where are you?
6] Oh, I see. under the bed..."
7] I giggled softly and tiptoed off to my own room.
8] Kevin's unique perspectives are often a source of amusement.
9] But that night something else lingered long after the humor.
10] I realized for the first time the very different world Kevin lives in.
11] He was born 30 years ago, mentally disabled as a result of difficulties during labor.
12] Apart from his size (he's 6-foot-2), there are few ways in which he is an adult.
13] He reasons and communicates with the capabilities of a 7-year-old, and he always will.


He will probably always believe that God lives under his bed, that Santa Claus is the one who fills the space under our tree every Christmas and that airplanes stay up in the sky because angels carry them. I remember wondering if Kevin realizes he is different. Is he ever dissatisfied with his monotonous life?

Up before dawn each day, off to work at a workshop for the disabled, home to walk our cocker spaniel, return to eat his favorite macaroni-and-cheese for dinner, and later to bed. The only variation in the entire scheme is laundry, when he hovers excitedly over the washing machine like a mother with her newborn child.

He does not seem dissatisfied.

He lopes out to the bus every morning at 7:05, eager for a day of simple work. He wrings his hands excitedly while the water boils on the stove before dinner, and he stays up late twice a week to gather our dirty laundry for his next day's laundry chores. And Saturdays -oh, the bliss of Saturdays! That's the day my Dad takes Kevin to the airport to have a soft drink, watch the planes land, and speculate loudly on the destination of each passenger inside. "That one's goin' to Chi-car-go!" Kevin shouts as he claps his hands. His anticipation is so great he can hardly sleep on Friday nights. And so goes his world of daily rituals and weekend field trips. He doesn't know what it means to be discontent. His life is simple. He will never know the entanglements of wealth of power, and he does not care what brand of clothing he wears or what kind of food he eats. His needs have always been met, and he never worries that one day they may not be. His hands are diligent. Kevin is never so happy as when he is working. When he unloads the dishwasher or vacuums the carpet, his heart is completely in it. He does not shrink from a job when it is begun, and he does not leave a job until it is finished. But when his tasks are done, Kevin knows how to relax.

He is not obsessed with his work or the work of others. His heart is pure. He still believes everyone tells the truth, promises must be kept, and when you are wrong, you apologize instead of argue. Free from pride and unconcerned with appearances, Kevin is not afraid to cry when he is hurt, angry or sorry. He is always transparent, always sincere. And he trusts God.

Not confined by intellectual reasoning, when he comes to Christ, he comes as a child. Kevin seems to know God - to really be friends with Him in a way that is difficult for an "educated" person to grasp. God seems like his closest companion. In my moments of doubt and frustrations with my Christianity I envy the security Kevin has in his simple faith.

It is then that I am most willing to admit that he has some divine knowledge that rises above my mortal questions it is then I realize that perhaps he is not the one with the handicap ...I am. My obligations, my fear, my pride, my circumstances - they all become disabilities when I do not trust them to God's care. Who knows if Kevin comprehends things I can never learn? After all, he has spent his whole life in that kind of innocence, praying after dark and soaking up the goodness and love of God.

And one day, when the mysteries of heaven are opened, and we are all amazed at how close God really is to our hearts, I'll realize that God heard the simple prayers of a boy who believed that God lived under his Bed.

Kevin won't be surprised at all!

24 comments :

  1. He sounds like an inspiration to you and a truly wonderful human being to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful Anni. My daughter decided to volunteer to be a buddy/helper in our local Challenger's Little League baseball team. Her first game I was dreading sitting there in the hot sun. I thought I would be bored and the game would take forever. It was the best baseball game I have ever watched. I clapped and cheered these kids on so much my voice was hoarse and my hands hurt. I learned so much from them that day...they are all "Kevins"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a well written piece, Anni. Thanks for sharing it.

    Happy TT!
    http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very touching post ! Meeting such people I realize how good, friendly and just loveable they are. There is nothing bad in them they are real pure souls. Near Waterloo is a little village created by the former Queen. There are all adults living and working there in little houses, some of them are married (no children of course) and they all seem to be very happy. It is also so good for the family to know that their adult children are good taken care of for the rest of their lives and that they happily live all together.
    BTW, I get you now in my Google reader ! that's so easy now !

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was beautiful, Anni. They have such pure souls...
    (You are up and running again through google reader, yeaaahhhhh!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely piece, so full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great listing! Happy TT! I have an awards waiting for you in my site, hope you get time to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep! I'm thinkin' Kevin - and your grandson - are the lucky ones! And they don't wake up in the middle of the night to worry about things that God already has under control! Truly they are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome we are blessed for having and knowing 'disabled' children

    ReplyDelete
  10. This should be submitted to Cup of Comfort. Thank you for sharing it with us. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful piece reminding us we're all uniquely 'perfect' ... just as we are ... and we have much to teach and learn from one another. I'm so glad you shared this today.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Glad I had the kleenex handy because this was very moving and so special.
    You know this was exactly why I worked for the Youth ARC when I was a teen, one of the most rewarding things in my life at the time. Bless you dear lady.

    My TT does not compare but you are welcome to stop by at The Cafe always and forever, hope you know that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. That was absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey - I just logged onto Google Reader and wanted to let you know that this morning I have 27 new messages for your blog ... so GR is finally 'reading' your URL again! Pretty cool ... did you do something or did GR finally fix itself?
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni,

    A heart touching post today. Those who suffer from Downs, from my experience at least, are usually quite happy. I have a cousin who has Downs and he is about the same age as your grandson. Nathan is happy 99% of the time, but when he is sad, he is very sad. I'm thankful it doesn't last long. A good night's sleep and he is his happy old self again.

    Loved the post. I have something you will want to read on my blog today.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I received this article in an email back in January which prompted me to do a

    post about my brother
    , Christopher, who has a chemical imbalance. Sweet, so very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There is something to be said for uncluttered, simple mind. Sometimes their beliefs are more pure than anybody elses.

    My T13

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Anni!
    Happy Spring to ya!
    This story was just so touching...brought tears to my eyes!
    Yes, to be oblivious to the challenges of life...and the security he experiences...oh my, Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We could all learn from Kevin! Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  20. Annie,


    This was a very touching post! I'm so glad I stopped by today!


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  21. We should all approach life the way he does. Beautiful TT!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This sweet Kevin lives in his own world..one of NO problems, NO bad things, NO worries...just think he lives in a great world. We live in the BAD one. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a heart touching story, thanks for sharing sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If only everyone in the world had the same attitude about life ... Thanks for sharing those wonderful words.

    ReplyDelete

.