my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out





About | Theme: "METAL" | Roll
Next week "high"




Can you guess what this is? Huh, huh? Can you? Awwww, come on, you gotta try. Actually it's something that is a bit obsolete now-a-days. At least this kind. So, now do you know? Do you need a hint? Well, you're not gonna get one!!! But......



















You'll get the answer just 'cause I'm feeling generous today!! The metal object is a hand crank pencil sharpener. I don't use it anymore. LOL ---well, on occasion. Hey, I have spell check [And no, I'm blond & I've never used White Out™ on my monitor! I DO know what spell check can do...thing is, how can you correct which one of these to use? Through and threw...the spell check doesn't catch this!!] But, hubby has it hanging on his work bench for his pencils for marking boards and such with sharp pencils. And, ya, I must confess, I use it...rarely; to sharpen my sketching pencils. This one is actually circa 1950's!! Yep, I had it way back when I was single and sketching on my art pads...I took it with me when I married, and it's been around since.


~...end Photo Hunt
[scroll beyond the tag & blog kiss to comment link]


<><><>


Storyteller tagged me for a 'favorite quotes' meme. Well, she actually invited anyone who wanted to participate in the meme to go ahead and do this. Well, why not I say? I tried to leave quotations all over her blog comments the other day, but I'm sure that doesn't suffice the concept, right? Okay. So, as my sidebar states, I love Robert Frost's poem...and I tend to quote this last line several times in my week, my month, my life. Mind you, my comprehension is not necessarily the 'right' way to analyze the quotes --you know, the way teachers in school thought we should? [I always got so frustrated with them telling me "no" that isn't what it means at all...frustrated I tellya!] I was always 'wrong' to their knowledge, but I grew from this, I learned that most teaching is just one 'man's opinion' and not automatic fact. And I'll tell you now, right here...I love quoting quotes. For each and every step in life there is a very meaningful quotation from history........

"
I have miles to go before I sleep, miles to go before I sleep".
~Robert Frost
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
    Now to me, my personal interpretation of this line is that I have a lot of living to do before I go from this earth. To live every day how it was meant to be. Enjoy it to the hilt and look forward to the next day with exuberance no matter how the hours are filled; with smiles AND/OR tears...but live!!!


"
Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies."
Aristotle
    And my personal interpretation of this is I'm hopelessly in love with the idea of our marriage. It's strong, it's up, it's down...it's ours...one single soul of two bodies making it whole.


"
Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock."
Will Rogers
    My thoughts on this one, is just that...thoughts of the rude person; the wolf in sheep's clothing - the "Nice doggie", and I think silently about finding a rock! So many people these days makes being diplomatic a true challenge. Then, quoting this line from the infamous Mr. Rogers in my head makes me walk away with a smile, I feel better just thinking and not acting upon my thought. It works every time!! I then find no need for the 'rock' OR retaliation!


"Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong."
Winston Churchill
    Here again, I have learned to use this in my life. No, in my thinking, it has nothing to do with living alone... My parents instilled upon us as we grew to be independent, to not expect someone to adhere to our every whim and notion. If we wanted a car when we were teenagers, we all had to go get a paying job and save. If we wanted something to eat at ten at night when all the work was done...make it yourself! And clean up afterwards too. Even something as little as buying a book, we worked for it...tho it was extra household chores to do or what have you...we were NOT given anything unnecessarily!! And their reasoning behind all this teaching was "Depend on no one but yourself." And all five of us became an independent individual; a stronger solitary tree.


<><><>

A slobbery kiss
**Awarded by Irene to Anni


I rec'd this in my email. Now to be honest, it says Irene to Anni....I'm thinking it's my daughter, but I couldn't tell 'cause it was sent from 'justsayhi.com'...could it be her? Or someone lurking with the same name? But it DOES sound like her, 'slobbery kiss' and all. So, whomever sent it from there, thanks a million!! Whichever Irene it is!! :::shrug:::

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!
from my house to yours....

72 comments :

  1. Geeeee, you didn't have to show us!! I knew immediately what it was (we have one). My hubby is a a fanatic about sharp pencils. For his birthday I bought an expensive electrical one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew exactly what it was too! Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni,

    I knew right away that the first photo was the inside portion of a manual pencil sharpener. I've used one like this many times in my day and often had the job of emptying it at the end of the school day. Thanks for the memories.

    Loved your quotes. I can relate to you not being given anything much, but made to work for it. That is one thing that I don't like about the way the boys are being raised. They have the "want it now" syndrome and often get it. It doesn't make for good lifeskills.

    Take care, my friend. I enjoyed my visit, as always. Easter blessings to you and yours.

    Hugs,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey sweetie, I had no clue what the picture was. I really love your take on the quotes. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cold even smell the pencil shavings of my childhood good sensory post

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great choice and shot for today! I knew I had seen that before but couldn't place it at first. But I am sure it would have come to me. :-)

    I am having a giveaway to celebrate my 1,000th post (wordy, aren't I?!) Barbara H. @ here. Hope you can stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni, that is really an antique pencil sharpener. Haha.. Don't think I've seen anything like that (= Happy Easter (=

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah~ Anni I've not seen this sort of sharpener before! Something interesting I've seen and learned today :)

    Do drop by my PH if you're free!
    My PH @ Its Not a Weekend;Its a Lifestyle & Napaboaniya APAD

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool photo .. yep I guessed it .. remember those spindly shavings ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm no spring chicken myself, but I've never seen one of those LOL!

    I wish you and yours a happy Easter!
    (Great new blog design, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From the looks of your comments, it seems that a lot of boomers read your post. I too knew exactly what it was. We're all showing our age :-)

    Thanks for stopping by Spatter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would not have guessed it was a sharpener. Great choice for this week's theme. Have a happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking it's a part of a sewing machine. Anyway, I still see some pencil sharpeners like this one only fancier, with fancy colors and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love those old sharpeners!! I miss them!

    I guessed right too!!

    Great pic!

    Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our mom knew that it was the inside of one of those pencil sharpeners. She used those when she was young. Great choice for the Hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had one of those when I was in school - but that was a long, long, LOOOOOOng time ago :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay... I got it right! I still have that at home (the modern version of course) for my nieces. My Dad refused to let them use the manual sharpener as each time they sharp, it will be 2-3 inches shorter.. haha :P

    Happy Easter to you too Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for stopping by my blog.
    I knew immediately what is was!!!
    I use mine often!
    Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  19. A pencil sharpener? I never saw one of those before. But I am just Four. And I am Not Allowed to play with pencils.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have one, but it has a single pencil-hole with a grip inside to cope with different sizes, and it's free-standing. So I should have recognised your first photo, right?
    Well, I didn't! I've always been darkly brunette, but these days I'm getting blonder all the time. That's my excuse, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi! You are right, I did not guess it right.Thought it was a door knob?

    Happy Easter too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry, but I did not see what is was, but now I know!
    So old and useful!
    Thanks for stopping by, and HAPPY EASTER!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember the "honour" of being chosen to empty those pencil sharpeners way back when in my school days.
    BTW, I use spelchekking two and I'm bald not blonde and still kant spel for the life of mee!
    Hope your Easter weekend is filled with blessings and maybe one or two chocolate bunnies too -- I bet you eat the ears off the bunnies first, hmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  24. May your pencils always be sharp.
    Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I saw the first picture, it reminds me when I first had my sharpener too..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, Anni, we still have one in my house so I actually got one right!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for visiting mine. :)

    we still have that kind of sharpener here...:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great choice for this week. Love your Easter themed site.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  29. bingskee3/22/2008

    hah! if only you'd given me the chance he he

    nice take, anni.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Neat photo. I did a "can you guess?" with my photo, too.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I knew right off the bat! How could I ever forget those pencil sharpeners?!!! I remember that we had to use the teacher's sharpeners in elementary school. No one had one in their pencil case. It was screwed on to her desk. Wow have things changed!
    Love that shot!
    Mine's up too!
    Hugs
    L

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing how the simplest thing makes the coolest photograph. I didn't guess and I have a pencil sharpener just like that sitting on a shelf right above my head. Have a great Easter weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I rarely see these sharpeners these days. But this reminds me of my childhood...pencils...crayons...drawings...

    Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great choice for the photo hunt! Happy Easter Anni! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. hey anni, i still use that kind of sharpener in the office but it's not the classic one but it still manual sharpening.
    where has the cowgirl gone?

    Morning Sniffles

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the FIRST pencil sharpener pic! Very creative thinking, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That pencil sharpener is very practical, old or not, lol ! Can you imagine, it snowed here for Easter ! the whole winter we didn't have any snow and for spring we got it ! I put some pictures on my main blog together with me dancing french Can Can !

    ReplyDelete
  38. Happy hopping day miss hoot. Nice entry in the photo hunt. Sorry, we do not agree on Obama but we can still be friends.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow I've not seen one of those in years! Have a great East Anni :-)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I knew that it's a pencil sharpener because we have that at home and still use it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great photo for the theme Anni. Thanks for telling us, I did not recognize it.
    Have a very Happy Easter Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy Easter to you!
    My metal is here.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I can still hear how these sharpeners sound!
    I homeschool my son, and we sharpen a lot of pencils, but we have a battery powered one! Maybe I"ll try to find us one of these... for old times sake!

    Great shot... thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Am glad you told us what that object was as I, for one, would never have guessed correctly! ;b

    P.S. Don't think I need to wish you a Happy Easter since it very much looks like you're already in a Happy Easter mode! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the pencil sharpener! I actually recognized it right away … probably from all those years in the classroom ;--)

    What a wonderful job you’ve done on the ‘quote meme’ … All the quotes you selected and gave ‘your take on’ resonate with my personal experience, and the Diplomacy one from Will Rogers cracked me up big time! That man did have a way with words, didn’t he? I hope others who read your blog will decide to participate too since this is a meme with some ‘substance’ to it.

    Congratulations on the well deserved award and Happy Easter to you and yours~
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  46. Your sharpener reminds me of the teacher in first grade she has those sharpener one her table all the time..;) Have a Wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I knew right away what your metal was! Saw many of them when the teacher asked (made?) me empty it!

    Happy Easter to you and yours!

    Bobbie and ~ The Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  48. I had the answer with the first picture, 'cause we still have one up in the pantry! LOL Good Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I knew right away! We have one somewhere in the garage...My boys grew up with it on the kitchen cabinets for their homework...Love the photos. My hunt is up, and a very Happy EASTER to you and Bud!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm proud, I guess correctly. :-) Happy Easter and happy hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Hi Anni, You are a popular girl today with all of your comments...I remember this pencil sharpener, but I would grind my pencil down to a little stub...Have a wonderful Easter... Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  52. The old crank hand pencil sharpener! So great, LOL! Those used to be the worst in class because you have to disrupt everybody and just when you were ready to sit down that da*n pencil would break again.
    I love this for the metal theme!!
    Happy, happy Easter! I love that ol' bunny, he always brings a smile to my face:)

    ReplyDelete
  53. Wow if you didn't show the pencil sharpener, I don't know that I would have ever gotten that one!

    Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I guessed it right away, without the hint!!! Have a blessed Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Until last year I had one hanging right by my back door so I knew it instantlly.(spell check lol)
    I just love your blog you always have such beautiful backgrounds awards etc.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I remember those. I loved them. I think they work better than th enew electric ones that chew up my pencils.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi anni cool catch for the photohunt theme... Hope you'll visit mine too...

    ReplyDelete
  58. Happy Easter!

    I loved those pencil sharpeners!

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'm just testing the comment form to see if it'll work like the Wordpress commenting form.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Hootin Anni! I recognized that pencil sharpener. I l-o-v-e your Easter blog presentation, so stinkin cute. You and yours have a joyful Easter filled with all those happy thoughts multiplied!!

    ReplyDelete
  61. Wow, I never would have guessed about it. It's really unique and truly a treasure from the past.

    Thanks for the visit. I love your blog, by the way.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Oh I got that one to at home, but not that metal one..:-)

    Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi there! I love your comment. Needles are real scary and will cause others to faint.LOL!

    Hmn, I love sharpeners!
    The one you have will cost thousands or even millions!

    ReplyDelete
  64. Thank you for dropping by at my humble nest!

    The metal post kept me guessing...wow, a sharpener!

    Happy Easter !

    ReplyDelete
  65. It looks like I Spy spilled over to the next week a bit...

    Good shot, anyway. Thanks for visiting and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  66. I so wish I could get scroll boxes on WordPress! Just wanted to invite you to participate in Scrumptious Sunday at Mercedes Rocks: http://mercedesrocks.wordpress.com/2008/03/22/scrumptious-sunday-fourth-edition/

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  67. Good Morning Anni,
    "HAPPY EASTER" to you and yours from me and my Family. I knew that was one of those old timey pencil sharpeners. I've used one of those many a times. LOL. Like you said, they are pretty much obsolete now, but you still some people with them. In fact, they still have them in the Schools. Well, they do here. Most of them are hanging on a wall right beside the door you go into. Some even have an electric pencil sharpener too. The younger kids seem to like the old fashioned pencil sharpener better for some reason. I've seen some kids just stand there and sharpen and sharpen their pencil. LOL. I enjoyed reading your favorite quotes Meme. I really like the one that Aristotle said. And you couldn't have intrepreted more better. I feel the same way about it. "CONGRATULATION'S" on your Award you received. I do hope you find out which Irene it came from tho. I hate that you ain't going to do the Phriday Phavorite Photo Phun anymore, but I totally understand tho. You can just let me know when you get ready to start it back up. This will give me plenty of time now to take lots of Phun pictures huh? LOL. I did do a post this morning and even shared some pictures of my Birthday Party. Take care my friend and have a great Easter. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen h.

    ReplyDelete
  68. Wanted to stop in and say Happy Easter Anni, may you have a blessed day.

    ~ Penelope Anne

    ReplyDelete
  69. Ha,... I was right! Great idea! Love your Easter decorations. Have a Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  70. I have been working and working, for weeks, trying to figure out how to incorporate the comments here on blogger similar to the wordpress comments...where the comment window is on the blog post itself without opening in a new window as blogger does all the time! I've tested here, tested there, taken out coding, added coding so many times I confused myself and can't remember just what coding I dropped and how I added certain css/html to all this...I've totally become puzzled as to where everything was added and what was subtracted over the weeks in my test runs.... until today of all days...I think I got it working!!!

    Now comes the test to see if this comment I'm doing actually 'takes' and shows up! here goes..........

    ReplyDelete
  71. I love your new 'header' ... and this comment thing is very 'cool' indeed. So now that you've figured it out, are ya gonna share with those of us who haven't a clue how to do it ourselves … or is it just too complex for us ‘newbies’ with insatiable curiosity?
    Happy Easter to you and yours!
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  72. I went with my two friends to the Peking Circus show, it was great ! If you have time have a look !

    ReplyDelete

.