my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!




Join Here

January 8: HEADS - Old
*OR* TAILS - New

I'll go with old this week....

The two photos are of 'family relics' of the past that are hanging on my "tribute" wall in our home. ---

Instead of writing about me all the time, I thought this week I'd share some of my hubby's momentos. And this particular one is of a special pipe that has been handed down to him from past generations. It's quite old, and has become somewhat brittle at the mouthpiece. This pipe is from his great-great grandfather. His G G grandfather was the 2nd generation from Ireland. Eventually, they immigrated to the state of Colorado where.....


...the family began selling wares to eek out a living. Soon, the selling became a vocation then, in time, the family had became proprietors of their own local grocery store. This is a calendar from their store in Colorado Springs, Colorado. It has the family name, in front of the 'Grocery' and then the location and phone number.....the calendar is dated January 1940. I guess to the young whipper snappers of today, being a 68 year old calendar, is old, right? Of course, not to my generation, but what the hey!!


----

"OLD" related stuff:

    Doctor examining patient, asks:
    "Do you get breathless, Meg?"
    Stone deaf wrinkly thinks, then replies:
    "I sometimes have an egg".

    *

    Now I lay me
    Down to sleep.
    I pray the lord
    My shape to keep.
    Please no wrinkles
    Please no bags
    And please lift my butt
    Before it sags.
    Please no age spots
    Please no gray
    And as for my belly,
    Please take it away
    Please keep me healthy
    Please keep me young,
    And thank you Dear Lord
    for all that you've done!

    *

    Foot Note:
    One saggy boob said to the other saggy boob:
    "If we don't get some support soon, people will think we are nuts!"


    <><><>


    I woke up Monday morning and, as usual, I found my way to the computer. Go figure!!! I open my blog to find two messages in my comments that say I should drop by their blogs for something special for me that was left in their posts!!

    Grams and Karen and then today Betty awarded me with a very loving award. I feel greatly honored to have them think of me in their daily visits. The award origin is very special too...

      ...the heart [notice the dosage is of 'candy hearts'] and soul behind it. It's not just about who's who but about passing the torch of love. "So here's to all the blogs that you've discovered that you can't possibly live without. They make you laugh, cry, think and feel connected every time you read a post. They give you a thrill as you see them loading into your browser and you get an equally satisfying thrill when you see that they have commented on your blog".


    Thanks ladies, and I return the gesture...you are great ladies, and I say this now, I too love visiting with you!! You're special to me. Now, I know you all have the award, but I'd like to reciprocate by 'handing you the same'. Again, thanks from the bottom of my heart.


    <><><>



    I like it when I'm busy with housework and y'all think for me... [We got all the closets cleaned out and things readied for Goodwill, and other odds and ends tossed! I'm so happy. Tomorrow, I'm gonna start cleaning and scrubbing down the master bathroom and the two cupboards...maybe if I have time, start working in the master bedroom.] Ya, it's time for us to do spring cleaning here...if we wait too long, it gets too uncomfortable indoors and the Air Conditioner needs to be serviced for the upcoming season. By mid March the temps are pushing 80s and humidity is building, and when we clean a lot, I do laundry in the garage with the temps pushing 90 in the Spring heat! For our age, it's best to do it when we can remain comfortable and be able to take our time. And I am adamant on having a clean house [including windows!]. --okay, so the reason I say "I like it....." is because 10 on Tuesday [and above, Heads or Tails] does the 'thinking' for me for a blog idea. This week, ToT it's to list 10 best things of the past year......

      1] I got the ablation done, and survived and 'knock wood' haven't had any SVT since...AND no palpitations for nearly a month!!!!

      2] Our daughter informed us that her grade level in the desire to become a minister and get a PhD --so far, she's been averaging 4.0! Way to go Irene!!!

      3] Same goes for our son...who works for a brokerage firm during the day, and college at night, some nights classes of his academic necessity for his main goal, while other nights, he's being a professor to young students!!! He graduated with a Mater's degree in May, on his way to HIS PhD.

      4] Our grandson now has a 'significant other' -- Shauna. She too has Down Syndrome making a super cute couple!!!

      5] I got a 'state of the art' wonderful new computer. And best of all, a huge flat screen monitor with the ultimate resolution of 1400+!! Wow.

      6] This past year, I've met new online bloggers that just started blogging, and all are the sweetest ever!!!

      7] What's good about last year, is it's gone....now we can move forth and get the first couple out of the oval office ---not too long now before we can finally say 'bye bye'. I am one of millions that can't wait for a change.

      8] Over the last year, I remained unchanged in my weight. Awwwwww, my blue jeans still fit!!

      9] I'm proud and very happy to announce my dear hubby stayed healthy this past year.

      10] 39 years last year for a blissful marriage...this year marks #40 in May!!!


29 comments :

  1. I love love love love LOVE the new site! :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy tuesday!

    Both objects are beautiful! 1940 does seem like a long time ago to me. My parents weren't even born yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I'm in awe over the pipe and the calendar. So very personal and unique items to have as memories.
    Loved the Foot note especially! *giggles*
    Spring cleaning sounds so nice, except it's not spring over here.... *sigh*
    Great news all of it!
    A new computer sounded real nice. I wouldn't mind having my second new one.... *giggles*
    And 40 years. Oh my,that really is something to celebrate BIG!!! Impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I love the 'one sagging boob to the other' joke! Mine are so little I'll probably never have to worry about that (and if I do, it's JUST NOT FAIR!). But it still made me giggle. My mother's family had a small grocery for a while, too. Very cool! The extended family kept stealing from it, so they ended up going under. But it seems like a nice little business to get into... especially in a rural community.

    I'm up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i bet number 10 is not only best moment of last year but one of the best moment of your life.

    39 to 49...is something to be proud of.

    my active blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, that egg joke took me a minute, but I am on my first cup of coffee...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anni.. your blog always puts a smile on my face! I laughed out loud at the one about breakfast.

    Items like those in your photos are precious keepsakes! Thanks for sharing the stories behind them with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning Anni, I love coming to visit you..You could be a writer of a book... you have so many cool things to post about everyday.

    The year 1940 is not old, I was born in 1941...My Anniversary in February will be 40 years also !!! I think I will do Heads or Tails after I get back from my dentist appointment this morning.

    Have a super day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pipe is a wonderful memento. It's nice to have something special passed on in the family.

    That's a lovely looking calendar. It's good that you have kept it over the years.

    Thanks Anni for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful that his family has those treasures to remember their past by! And thank you for sharing the jokes - I needed the laugh this morning.

    Congrats on the award - well deserved, for sure! :)

    Thanks for your visit and comment. Sadly, I have enough gray in my hair that I've been mistaken for my children's grandmother a few times. Early gray is my family's gift to me... Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing your beautiful old keepsakes and the stories to those keepsakes with us, Anni. A tribute wall is a great idea, too.

    The little prayer put a huge smile on my face!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, lovely pictures for the OLD theme! having something from your great-great-grandfather is so very special!
    Loved your jokes too :)
    And congrats on that very well deserved award!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such lovely mementos to keep and pass down to your family. We also have a grandson with Downs. He turned 2 in October. Congrats on getting the new computer. Hoping mine holds in there for a couple more years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the calender look so appealing..nice idea for a post

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't know what to do or why it happens, but I am sure you do: my google reader isn't reading you...it shows your Thursday post as the last one published (???). Just thought I would let you know.
    Cheers! happy Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ... the boob conversation really cracked me up! but i'm glad i didn't wake up the sleeping baby in here! - charlotte (charmed life)

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Sometimes I have an egg" HA!


    Mine is up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Entertaining as always!
    Happy Tuesday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful objects (pipe & calendar) to have in your family! They're gorgeous and more importantly, have real meaning and significance for your family! :) That's terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always truly enjoy your posts! You create posts that are serious, fun, silly, and thought provoking all at the same time!

    by the way, I love the look of the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Anni, love the new look. I love saving special things from my families past also!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well deserved awards :)
    Love your HorT, those are great family mementos to have. Mine is up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Anni, The joke about the falling brest how funny. Thank you for it. The younger generation has no idea. Have a great day.

    Love and Hugs,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! I'll be back with a pot of coffee. So much to see and do here.
    Haven't had much time to visit, so just now wishing you and yours a Happy Happy New Year All Year Long.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the old calender. Thanks for adding my name to the Blogger Over 50 blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Doesn't it feel great when your children are doing so well?
    And glad to hear you're married almost 40 years.....in this day and age...you're rare indeed!
    Love to hear your news, Anni..and glad to see you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Whoa. That was a lot of nostalgia for one post. The new site looks great too!

    I've never smoked a pipe before, but I've always wanted to try

    ReplyDelete
  28. That calendar is so great. It's nice to have old stuff that also means something.

    As always I enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How nice of you to show some of your hubby's special things! I love both items, especially the pipe! It is soooo cool! My oldest son recently got into smoking a pipe and he would probably love to see this one! The calendar is awesome too......especially the story behind it!

    Have a great day! Sharon

    ReplyDelete

.