my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




About | Theme: PLASTIC | Roll
Next week: - PAPER

For one of my first cars, I paid just a small amount of money compared to today's prices, brand new, after saving money when just a young whipper-snapper of a teenager. Finally, enough saved to pay for it, that was back in the late '60s. And!!!---It was all metal, hehehehehe. Then, as the years passed, the heavy metal turned to light-weight aluminum. Now...a lot of parts of a car are plastic!! Well "plastic-like" anyway. 40 years ago, I would never have dreamed I'd be paying over $23,000.00 for a vehicle that is plastic!! Did you? [Oh, well....I'm sure a lot of you don't remember the days 40 years ago...why, some of you weren't even a twinkle in your daddy's eye!! *snort*] Plastic cars.....hmmmm, just like toys! Very expensive toys. Which reminds me of a joke about whoever dies with the most toys is the winner. *wink* Oh, and we all know now that plastic is not biodegradable! So where and what'll we do with all this plastic in the auto junkyards? Recycle? Yes, but eventually all the recycling of these plastics will break down all the components rendering them useless for anything.




DASHBOARD - PLASTIC
LIGHTS- PLASTIC
SPOILER - PLASTIC
REARVIEW MIRROR - PLASTIC COVER
BUMPER - PLASTIC
WHEEL COVER - PLASTIC

Hit a bump in the road? TOTALED! *giggles*

<><><>

...Speaking of global warming. Weren't we? There was an article about emissions, but not about car exhaust, and the effect of global warming. Now, they're telling us to eat less red meat. Eating less would help eliminate the 'emissions' of methane by having to raise less cattle for consumption who in turn digest a high amount of grains --which make them highly flatulent. Okay, ya, that makes a lot of sense. But reading further, nearing the end of the article, there was stated: "It is an interesting theory that needs to be further examined," she said. "But eating less meat could definitely be one way to reduce gas emissions and climate change." I ask: Just who's gas emissions are we talking 'bout? Think about it, we will be consuming more grains ourselves right? There are more people than the livestock we consume! Not to mention the equipment burning fuel to raise more corn and other grains for us to eat. And climate change? Is that 'cause the doors and windows have to be opened? I'm confused. *wink* And that makes me wonder what the emissions of the vehicles in the future that run off the newly 'invented' fuel that's made from corn and other grains....will they too emit methane gasses into the atmosphere? Granted, I'm not all that convinced about the global warming hype. I really don't know [there were recorded ice ages, melt-downs, and other catastrophic events in the past]....but I do try to do my part of recycling and working out a plan to help save the world's beauty. I for one think that trees survive with our emissions....really. They thrive on carbon monoxide. So, I whole-heartedly believe if we save trees, we're doing a good thing ~For over 30 years I have had an artificial Christmas tree just for that reason. [among other things] But, when the scientists tell me that the wet summers, the flooding, the vicious storms are all because of global warming---then we read about blizzards of years long past [1948-1949 winter], and records of weather [like Texas having the wettest summer since 1942]---I ask, was there global warming back in 1942 also? And I'm not suggesting that anyone would agree with me, but my theory is to procreate less if you want the world to exist as it is a lot longer...less people to feed, not as much flatulence!!

Doctor studies of Methane Gas & Humans
..."On an average day the patient recorded 34 episodes of flatulence, with some days cresting into the low 40s. Levitt did not have any data on how this compared with the output of the ordinary person, but even in a globally warmed, ozone-shredded, chlorofluorocarboned world, this sounded bad...." Read more

So, you're wondering just what this all has to do with the photo hunt challenge of plastic? *shrug* Got me!!! How the heck should I know? Oops!! *sniff* *waving my hand* ---"Phew!! Pardon Me" Honest, it all started out a simple photo shoot with my plastic coated, non-biodegradable plastic digital camera, consuming a CORN dog!!

56 comments :

  1. HA! Just yesterday, I went to an auto rally at a local grocery store. There were many cars there that were older than I!!! (gasp!) As I looked inside them, I was amazed to see that many of the oldsters were very "sterile" and "steel" looking! Wow! All that plastic these days give an illusion of luxury and comfort! AND, that, of course is ALL it is...an illusion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I didn't think about all the plastic that goes into a car but of course there is and your photographs were great for the theme. You had me laughing and, you are so right about less people, less of everything annoying including emissions from flatulence. I never thought about flatulence from cows being an issue but Frances Moore Lappe's "Diet for a Small Planet" has been on my bookshelf for a long time. Of course if we're eating rice and beans instead of feeding the cows it won't exactly help the human flatulence issue. I wonder if Ms. Lappe has considered that issues. Cheers, Carver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny story about the plastic...a friend who was an organic chemist said he was a bit worried about his girlfriend driving around a plastic car (it was a Saturn). The salesman responds, "it's not plastic, it's polymer." Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I find it very odd paying this much for a piece of plastic. Very odd, but what are you gonna do? Thanks for making us think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That certainly is a lot of plastic, and a great write-up/photos for the theme...:) I learned something!

    Happy hunting, and have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought my first car in 1967. =) There is way too much plastic in very expensive automobiles today. I like the way you think, Anni! My plastic post is up, too. Pollywog Creek's Plastic Photo Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like always you make us think!!
    Great post about plastic.....
    I have mine up tonight! You have a nice weekend!! Love and Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you did alot more work than me....Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOl..yeap, my new 08 car, nothing, I mean nothing but a plastic pile of chit! lol...I always enjoy your photos sweetie! Sending you love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely, original interpretation of this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Annie,
    You're a riot. You never disappoint. Great post as usual...and great pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots of your car, along with a very good post.

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Plastic cars...you're so right there, Anni. Mine is mostly plastic I think.

    As for not eating red meat because of flatulence...what a hoot. Some people are more prone to letting one go because they have irritable bowel syndrome or something similar. If we are relatively healthy, it doesn't really matter what we eat. Some of these scientists should really listen to themselves.

    I thought it was a hilarious post, Anni, thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am pretty sure that my stroller has some plastic parts on it. I guess plastic is everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very true. These days the interior designs of our cars are all made of plastic. You might not know one day in the future, even the body of the car is made of plastic. Then, are we moving towards modernisation or going back to the Flinstone era? Hehee Anyway, have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post. You are quite right there is so much plastic in cars these days. The Ford Cortina (the first of our family cars I can remember around 1967) was like a tank compared to my 1990 Corolla (cost $900 four years ago!).

    Being vegetarians nme and my other half probably are responsible for more methane production than most! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like the write-up as well! no wonder when there's any car accident and one or the other gets wrangled like paper, one would wonder what it is made of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice plastic photos. It's amazing how much is made of plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How interesting - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow! Hadn't thought of CAR for the plastic theme. Very good point!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Actually the creation of plastic will also contribute to global warming, so what are we to do? I mean plastic is lighter so it takes less fuel. So what do we do?

    I do not intend to give up red meat--now that's something else. Some vegetarians believe that cats should be vegetarians as well--yeah right. It's more than an issue of flatulence...

    ReplyDelete
  22. It was funny, I was sitting in the car the other day thinking the same thing for the post but didn't actually go through with it. You did a great job.
    The Rocky Mountain Retreat

    ReplyDelete
  23. * *Cheysuli: Exactly, that's my point on my blog today...EVERYTHING contributes to the global warming effect. The less we procreate, the better our environment will become. At least that's my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post! And the photos are awesome. Oh, and I see your blog has a new look too? Great work, all around! :)

    Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, great thoughts about plastic. I must admit that I love red cars, so great car Anni :-)

    ...and flatulence. Hmrpfff. Blame it on the poor cows! I'm not sure they really KNOW something, they're just taking the easiest way and that is to blame it on somebody else! I think it's we humans that is creating the most of it in different ways!

    Fun take on this weeks theme Anni, loved it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, well, ya learn something new everyday! *S* Great Saturday blog, Hon!
    Your photos are super, as always!
    Happy weekend.
    Drop by - I'm back!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did go on a bit there Annie, but it was Hootin.
    One of the things about old cars is that they also look so small.

    Cheers Mark

    ReplyDelete
  28. Very clever post...Great idea for plastic.

    Take care,
    Connie
    Mine is up.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Anni. Im old enough to say we had all metal and and well built heavy cars with leather seats were standard not extra, but my new car has a lot of plastic in it,,,

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yea... I'm so GLAD Derek wasn't in one of these new-fangled auto mo beels when he trashed his! Good sturdy metal saved the boys life! (no air bags either)

    BUT! That little red hunk o' plastic sure is pretty! And I trust YOU to keep it on the road! (and well... we just pray about all those other fools who travel around you!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great shot and story about plastic! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very creative take on the theme, Anni!

    Love your "new look"!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Like I wrote on another blog: We Photo hunters do seem quite the environmentally friendly -- or, at least, conscious -- lot! As for cars: Have to admit that I don't care much for them. Am so very happy to be currently living in a place with GREAT public transportation that makes (private) cars pretty much unnecessary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Anni. Plastics can be found everywhere. It's amazing how majority of things have some plastic components in them.

    Thanks for sharing these photos and the good reminder of how emissions can be harmful to the environment.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Plastic materials in cars is dangerous especially when there's an accident. I prefer the steel though this is heavier and could consume more gas.

    Thank you for the wonderful post, Anni. have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, what a well researched post. Thanks for the education!

    ReplyDelete
  37. So funny! And I love the new site design. I haven't been over since you got it. My poor plastic Honda has hail indentions on every side! Metal doesn't dent like that.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I discovered the other day that the driver's side mirror on my car is plastic! One nice thing- when it fell off, it didn't break. I also discovered that the bumper on my son's 96 Mustang is STYROFOAM! Of course, it took a lot of plastic when it came time for him to have fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I enjoyed this post!!! :)


    Junie

    ReplyDelete
  40. very neat photos. Check my entry too if u have time. TC

    ReplyDelete
  41. Good choice of photos! Mine is up too. Hope you can visit me :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These pictures are good. I forget how much of our cars are plastic. I grew up when cars were made of steel and were big, heavy things. The SUV I drive now probably has more plastic than metal on it.

    Flo's Place

    ReplyDelete
  43. Well, thanks for making me laugh. Great post. And so true about a vehicle,.... it pretty much is totaled, should it bump anything these days. Not like they used to be. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  44. It is sad to think of what it used to be... But I guess paying more can get you more, but it might be a lot more you have to pay to get that..

    Great theme, and happy to have made you hungry.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  45. Enyoyed following your logic! Cars and cows have something in common!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm laughing but I'm depressed too.
    Have a good weekend anni

    ReplyDelete
  47. Unique post for our plastic theme. Thanks for the laugh tonight.:)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Mine are up:
    http://thelifeandtimesofgran.blogspot.com/2007/09/photo-hunters-plastic.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. It amazing that cars have gotten more expensive as they've gotten lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Ah yes, plastic is everywhere! Thanks for sharing and visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  50. LOL, loved your pictures and stories! nice bright red plastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. Plastic cars - too scary! Great photos for The Hunt. Thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete
  52. I raise my hand and duly admit I do remember cars made of metal LOL -- check out the hippie photos I posted -- as if true hippies would approve of anything plastic!

    ReplyDelete
  53. plastic and car ... here my country we have car made of recycle sardine tin.

    ReplyDelete
  54. We seem to live in a world of plastic. Great choices and photos for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Funny lady! Good lesson on plastic theme tho. Have you seen mine?

    ReplyDelete

.