my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



9-11-01 to 9-11-07
For those who perished....
For those who continue to suffer....
....never forgotten


<><><>



I was asked yesterday to do another good deed and tell y'all how to make Chili Verde con Pollo. It's a dish I learned to make about 40 years ago. I cook my own Mexican food because the restaurants here lack anything resembling the 'true' Mexican flair. Here in Texas the food they're passing off as Mexican isn't even close....it's a bland tasting TEX-MEX style. My sister-in-law is of Mexican-American descent, and her Mexican style cooking was always a big hit in our family! She even taught me how to make my own flour tortillas from scratch, and my own honey sopapillas [Mexican fried dessert]. So, so many wonderful meals have been prepared in our house - all because of her expertise. But, I have never used recipes per sé, so trust me, this is all guess work. Just experiment with what I wrote down, and you'll get it worked out to your taste buds. It's the best I can come up with albeit any written instructions. Now, tho, the 'green chili' isn't actually green, it's called verde because of the peppers used in the dish. AND my sister in law used pork cubes instead of chicken. Today, for me, pork is way too high in cholesterol so I substituted whole chicken for the pork, and removed the chicken fat. It's not quite as heavy on the stomach either....
[I made this recipe card up, and made it 800x600 in size so you can print it out. JUST CLICK THE SMALL IMAGE to view. If blogger doesn't enlarge from the code, then click here, saved on Photobucket]

<><><>



10 Cities You Could Live In (for a month, for a year...if you couldn't live in your own)

1] Denver...well, only for the summer months. I've had enough of the winters in Colorado!!


2] New Orleans [Y'know, I've always thought the city was neat, even back then when I was there, it was filled with corruption as it is now....but it's so sad to still see it in ruins] It's just a neat city...well, was!!


3]London --I've always wanted to live there. Never been, but always loved the people and the atmosphere when I read about the people and country and see their citizens on the telly. :o)


4]Washington D.C. [So much history! What else can I say? I did live there with my sister for a month over 35 years ago, and have visited since, I'd love to live there again for a short period. Summer months again...don't like their cold winters.] PS---I know it's not an 'incorporated city' it's really a district...but oh what a thrill the area is to me!!


5]Seattle [perhaps I could meet Dr. Frasier Crane! --just kidding]


6]Chicago [So much going for the city...visited the city, and loved everything I saw and did. Part of our honeymoon was in Chicago --great memories there for me.]



7]Charleston [Now this city, I've not traveled to and love the ambiance of reading its history. I would spend 3 months there ---in an historical plantation!]


8]PODUNK TOWN -Nebraska [I'd love to go back to my childhood home where I was born. Sadly no relatives live there any longer...but to spend a month there, and reminiscing...it'd be fun] It's more country than city life tho!!


9]San Diego! [If the cost of living wasn't so terribly high there, that is where we'd be living now!! I love that city. That is where I became engaged to my hubby!! It's beautiful!! And by the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea!!!]


10]Dublin [Yes, Ireland! Spending a month, a summer there would be a dream come true. Living is a castle and having an Irish tour guide to guide me around searching my ancestors]


<><><>


I wanna try!! I wanna try!! Finding this meme over at Blue Monday's the other day, I thought "Oh how fun this could be!" And of course, like a cat, curiosity got the best of me, and I'm all fingers! Poised at the keyboard, ready and raring to go----


~Finding my true identity!


1. YOUR ROCK STAR NAME: (first pet & current car)
GEORGE Grand Am [Boy George, move over!!!]

2.YOUR GANGSTA NAME: (fav ice cream flavor, favorite cookie)
BLACK WALNUT Oatmeal [oh ya, a nutty sweet name for a gangsta! I don't think so!!!]

3. YOUR "FLY Guy/Girl" NAME: (first initial of first name, first three letters of your last name)
A-CAR [now that's funky! Like a Z car, but still in its infant stages. LOL]

4. YOUR DETECTIVE NAME: (favorite color, favorite animal)
PURPLE Tiger [sounds mysteriously mysterious doesn't it?]

5. YOUR SOAP OPERA NAME: (middle name, city where you were born)
*shaking finger*---Uh, uh, uh!! No soap star. No names. Call me the invisible creature from the Black Lagoon or something, but I will remain anonymous on this one. Mainly 'cause if you typed in Anni with my middle name with the search engine and my town where I was born....you'd probably get all kinds of info on me---it was just a farming community!!! I take the 5th on this one for security reasons.

6. YOUR STAR WARS NAME: (the first 3 letters of your last name, first 2 letters of your first)
CAR-An [huh? Now truly, thinking about all the weird creatures, I can't even begin to imagine the mask I'D be wearing!!! Wonder how many CAR-An's would be featured in the next episode of Star Wars, in a galaxy far far away?]

7. SUPERHERO NAME: (2nd favorite color, favorite drink put "The")
GREEN the Bottled Water [ewwwwwww! That sounds a bit 'el sicko' doesn't it? Of course depends on where the water is from!! But, super hero? Not on your life!!! Not with the name bottled.]

8. NASCAR NAME: (the first names of your grandfathers)
Edward Henry....or Henry Edward [depends again....on the sponsors for me in the race!]

9. STRIPPER NAME: ( the name of your favorite perfume/cologne, favorite candy)
TABOO Turtles [Oh, hey now....that makes me look like when I dance around the poles---I actually DO come out of my shell!!!]

10.WITNESS PROTECTION NAME: (mother's & father's middle names )
Irene Alexander. [Yippee...do I have a choice of where I live with my new identity?]

12 comments :

  1. Hi Annie, Your Mexican food sounds Delicious But unfortunatly thats off my menu since my major operation 3 years ago too spicy for me.
    Now I loved London when we holidayed there many years ago did all the tourist things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how generous of you to give us your yummy recipe! I've linked it up as a Lifecruiser Tips in the end of my latest post too :-)

    Nice cities indeed, even though I haven't visited many of them - I want to!!!!

    Hm, you gave me an idea for the cyber cruise, with another twist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I've snatched the recipe! I figure with Hector back in town, I can SURPRISE him with something truly Mexican! And I bet my little Lucy is going to need some good "down home" cookin' too! Thanks Anni!

    I do LOVE today's theme for Tuesday! I can think of sO many places I would like to go LIVE - for a year or so! I want to live in them long enough to really get the feel for the area! Not just be a tourist... ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! Your Name Game answers are so much better than mine! Thanks for playing. I love reading these. You have a fun blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello fellow A-Team Cruiser and thanks for your visit and nice comments.

    What a great collection of interesting cities and I do agree with all of them. But how about Oslo, Norway then? LoL

    ReplyDelete
  6. London!! I have always wanted to visit there!
    Your cities sounded great... we drove over to New Orleans and it was so SAD to see the horrible signs of the flood..... Mile after mile of empty houses......

    I love your by the sea the wonderful sea!!! about San Diego!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted twice so I took the one Sorry! Love and Hugs Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. TY TY TY TY TY TY TY for sharing your recipe with us. :)

    It looks and sounds soooo yummy. I can't wait to cook it up. :D

    *tummy grumbles* I am HUNGRY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dublin! How did I forget to put that on my list. That's a good one. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    Okay - my stripper name is:

    Amazing Grace Peanut Butter Cup.

    and my Rockstar name is:

    George Freestar (kind of cool) Oops - if I go way back to my VERY first pet as a baby then my name is'
    Gungadin Freestar

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Anni ~~ Thanks for the recipe, it sounds good. You gave good answers to the memes. Thank you for your comments, Glad you like my flowers
    jokes. quotes and even my hairdo.
    It is unbelievable that mu mother's fern is still growing. I have never repotted it. Have given it a few doses of Epsom salts or fertilizer
    on rare occasions. Wishing you a very happy day also, Take care, Love, Merle.

    ReplyDelete

.